• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Is Sooo Gayy!!!

unknown522

Some guy
I just recently started using Z for stuff like instant bairs OOS with Fox because the C stick is too far for my thumb to reach quickly and when I use A sometimes my finger brushes B and I side-b instead.

Also, Z is a must for DJCing with Ness, who I use.
lol, my bad.

D

Deleted member

most of my advice is very solid, it's not facetious at all. try it.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Got it. I would edit your post so spambots don't rule your life. As for the smash BR, is there an application of sorts? Whom do I have to "sweep" off their feet? Get it? Broomer? Okay, fine. Or is it by appointment? I've always wondered what unimaginable wonders are imagined in that room back there.

If I were to stay on track, I would have one more question. Sometimes, I am playing against Eric, and I knock him off the edge, or throw him or something.

Then, he recovers in this very annoying way: shortened illusion dropping from above the edge and to the right.

That is, say we are on the right side of FD. He will be coming from about 3' Oclock position, he'll illusion, shorten it, and fall safely onto the edge. It is annoying because often he has invincibility frames from the shortened illusion. Is there anyway I can get him? I know that sometimes if I use B to attack, it'll last JUST long enough to hit him after the invincibility frames, but it's not really practical cuz I can't run up to the very edge of FD every time and hold B. Were I Roy, it would be a different thing altogether.

Ideas?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
sounds like a problem for ftilt to solve.
I've considered this. It doesn't always work though, because he seems to know I'm going to move forward for the ftilt, and he does something else.

That is, in order for the ftilt to hit, I have to move pretty far out right to the edge. But if I move to him, he'll illusion right away, and his phantasm hits before my ftilt hitbox comes out.

Is there some way I can predict it or cancel out his option once he has already gone into the shortened illlusion?

Treschikon, yes, it does. It is only for a few frames, and it occurs after the shorten, just as momentum ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTqWp4nyWM&feature=related at about 1:14

Ryan-K

Smash Master
well i mean if you know hes going to do it then its best to just wack him with fair or something. tipped ftilt has alot of range tho so u shouldnt be needing to get that close? i mean i guess u can tip dtilt which has alot of range and lets u crouch. if u kno hes going to go past u you can dash to him or dash to cancel dtilt, shield then wd oos and grab? i dont know if im even talking about the same thing you are lol

unknown522

Some guy

Unknown, est-ce que tu as MSN? And, do any of the old ottawa guys play? My (ex? :() girlfriend lives in Ottawa and I might visit her this winter.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my hearrtt
lol there's a few people from ottawa that still play, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I remember there was a peach... and a marth.

Eric ran off to Pats House tournament, we'll see how he does. So I'm guessing falco's shortened illusion recovery is flawless, therefore making Falco unstoppable and we should live in caves for the next few years to avoid getting shined.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
its not invincible...its just that he stops then shoots forward almost like brawl and your hitbox didnt actually come into contact with him lol

unknown522

Some guy

Diakonos

Smash Lord
OH YEAHH, I remember their names now. Crazy.

Unknown, did you see the thread for that huge tournament in BC in may?

Ryan-K, I know what you're saying, but I am pretty sure he gets a few frames of invincibility. I could be wrong, but I've fsmashed right through that ******* and nothing happens. ;P ask one of the falco frameguys.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
-The only Marth I've ever seen 0-death spacies from grab was M2K and that was only on FD in like 2007. So yea, if this is happening to you stop letting it happen.
It's really not THAT uncommon. Upthrow->18%. Pivot grab upthrow->32%. Uptilt->regrab->upthrow->uptilt->some kind of fulljump/shorthop tipped/untipped fair combo (fulljump tipped fair->falling tipped fair->shorthop delayed untipped fair->f-smash for example). It's really hard for Spacies to get out of this generic chaingrab which often leads to an edgeguard opportunity.

But of course Marth players sometimes mess up the chainthrow and get shined out of it, or don't follow DI correctly, or don't sweetspot their attacks at vital points of the combo. Sometimes theres a platform and Marth has to go with an entierely differnt (and less guranteed) scenario. You should always be trying to find a way out, but it's not like a Falco player can actually STOP it from happening. They can only make it harder to execute/more dependant on the Marth players predicting skills.

/lurking boards of characters I don't play as.

Niko45

Smash Master
My statement was quite an exaggeration, I must admit.

But it was combatting the exaggeration that a grab = a stock for Marth. I mean if I really went back and looked at how many kills even m2k is getting from a grab at 0, I'm going to be conservative and guess that he completes one less than 50% of the time.

Like you just said, there's a whole lot going on, and a ton of opportunities to mess it up.

Think of it like an infielder fielding 20 ground balls in a row. It's very possible that he will not commit an error. But even the best infielders tend to make errors around 1/20.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Marth's grab is broken. The fact that he can grab you and force you into a tech chase until you get off the stage where he edge guards you (his fav thing) can really mean a stock from 1 grab

X1-12

Smash Champion
1.) Shoop da Woop /I'ma firin ma lazorz

If you don't fastfall the SHL and press B right after you just your laser is like pretty much perfect shield stabbing height for marth, mix this up with normal SHL and KEEP DOING IT, lasers are really annoying so spam them if you need

2.) If they powershelld occasionally just dont worry about it its only gonna do about 1% to you, also if you can keep distance so that if they PS if you'll allready having another laser going towards them to interrupt anything they do and i think its pretty unlikely they'll PS twice in a row

3.) If you shine marth up make sure he doesn't land again, keep him in the air if he's D-airing you when he falls down then try jumping, shining to cancel momentum then JC'ing it into an aerial, it should throw off their timing. but don't over use it, remember to mix it up

4.) Try and bait grabs, try standing in grab range and eheilding then WD backwards out of it or just SHFFL'ing a D-air, you should be able to lead this into a shine and shine = ****

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
2.) If they powershelld occasionally just dont worry about it its only gonna do about 1% to you, also if you can keep distance so that if they PS if you'll allready having another laser going towards them to interrupt anything they do and i think its pretty unlikely they'll PS twice in a row
Just out of pure curiosity, how do Falco players deal with someone who can powershield semi consistantly (like 1/4 lasers which isn't really that hard)? So far the only thing I've seen Falcos do is either

1. Laser less (yay?)
2. Fake lasers (purposefully hit the ground before the laser comes out to bait me to put my shield up).

Any other things Falcos can do?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
can't they just keep shooting lasers until you can powershield 75% or more (giving you the % advantage)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
can't they just keep shooting lasers until you can powershield 75% or more (giving you the % advantage)
It's not like I'm trying to camp Falco here <_<. I'm still approaching Falco, I'm just powershielding as an approach. I don't care who gets to do more damage with lasers, I'm just asking what tricks Falco players might use against a Marth who shoots back at them.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
I find that when I shoot less lasers, I lose the edge that lasers give Falco. If they power shield my lasers, I just shoot more. If I get punished, it's gg for me.
I'm also a pretty stupid falco when it comes to aggressiveness =\

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It's not like I'm trying to camp Falco here <_<. I'm still approaching Falco, I'm just powershielding as an approach. I don't care who gets to do more damage with lasers, I'm just asking what tricks Falco players might use against a Marth who shoots back at them.
lol that sounds like a better idea anyways.

i was just joking :p

X1-12

Smash Champion
take the 1% and run away and fire some more, or crouch under the high-ish ones, infact i'm pretty sure that like an instant laser from a short hop will just hit a marth but wont hit a standing falco, and thus wont hit you when it comes back (if you're not jumping)

EDIT: the really high laser to hit a marth but not hit you on the return is technically do-able but i just tested it and its totally impractical as the height difference between the characters is tiny, still crouching is feasible

EDIT 2: I know marth crouchs lower then falco , but the falco player will know which height the lasers are gonna go so will know if he needs to crouch or not wherease the marth player won't know whether to crouch or PS, if the falco mixes up high, low and fake lasers then they can probably get some decent laser control

X1-12

Smash Champion
Can't falco laser->shine, stay in shine if you powershield or jump->another laser if you don't?
yeah techincally, but its slow as if you're in shine for more than 16 frames (i think its 16) then you lose the ability to JC the shine so you have to wait for the shine lag to end and the marth could probably have caught up with you in that time

Top Bottom