• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mangos Falco Advice

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
CC ->Shine depending on the aerial.
Powershield/Shield -> JC Shine OoS.
Run back RSHL.
Run back Pivot F-smash.
Wavedash backwards Grab.

Standard options.

Basically you are going to dash dance like any normal character and mix in lasers to force them to approach you in a way that you can counter.

PB&J

Smash Hero
well it matters what percent u are at..up tilt is good for anti air and short hop retreating dair is good too..or laser..u pick

Velox

Smash Ace
wavedash backwards and grab isn't so bad.. I think you probably just have a problem with Falco's bad grab game, but that's standard practice with any and all characters.

Obviously though, the problem with Falco is he doesn't have a move like Marth's u-tilt or Fox u-smash, but you can still just turnaround and u-tilt with Falco to stop aerials dead (works against Falcon's shffled n-air approach), and this may seem weird, but people do it, and why do you need to see the whole community do it? Just be different..

This also depends on the character though. Like with Marth, lots of Marth players will be full hop double jumping at u, but with Falcons you might get some shffled n-airs in the face (in which case u could just crouch cancel shine). Like, you can see that those two approaches might neccessitate different reactions from you.

like you could dash away and dash back into a dash attack too, obviously the problem with this is Falco's bad dash, but you can make it work with a combination of wavedashes, intial dashes, having had good spacing from the beginning and not being all up in ur opponent's grill, etc..

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
What is the most effective move coming out of a dthrow. Ive been shining then into an uair. I know there has to be something better than that

Scidadle

Smash Champion
First things first dojomaster.

Don't expect down-throw to work.

90% of the time human opponents will tech it.

But lets say they dont, you can shine like you said or dsmash or even read their roll and side smash

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
First things first dojomaster.

Don't expect down-throw to work.

90% of the time human opponents will tech it.

But lets say they dont, you can shine like you said or dsmash or even read their roll and side smash
80% if they're not good
99% if they're good

dthrow blows, except sometimes on platforms since it limits their tech options, and vs. ICs since it keeps the second climber from punishing.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Yeah mogwai....
You're right haha

90% is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to low

Seriously my favorite throw with falco is F-throw

Up-throw just never did it for me : /

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
80% if they're not good
99% if they're good

dthrow blows, except sometimes on platforms since it limits their tech options, and vs. ICs since it keeps the second climber from punishing.

Thanks for the info and for the quick reply, same to you scidadle

Scidadle

Smash Champion
No prob brah.

Hit me up on aim if you need the halp.

I'll try my best to help.

(Not a falco main but I know a few things : /)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
f-throw is great off the stage, but I'm uncomfortable with it on stage. I don't really know how you use it more reliably than uthrow in the middle of the stage, chops. To each his own I guess. Also, wtf, Bronx? for how long? we should play I'm like 30 minutes from the bronx.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
u can tech chase off f throws wen their on the middle of the stage up throw is limited they can di it but oos tourneys is esy to get away with up throw shine. up throw f smash still works well nowadays lol

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
lol IMO upthrow > fthrow > downthrow > backthrow. I really only use backthrow when my back is against the edge of the stage and I can throw them off; downthrow really only used situationally on some platforms, and then mostly just upthrow and fthrow.

kmgamer

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, I'm having some problems vs fox when i try to smash di his uair to avoid the kill. I know the timing for smash di in general but how exactly is this technique performed?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If that link didn't help, press your control stick or your cstick in a direction as the first hit of the uair hits you.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
u can tech chase off f throws wen their on the middle of the stage up throw is limited they can di it but oos tourneys is esy to get away with up throw shine. up throw f smash still works well nowadays lol
I feel like uthrow shine actually works vs. most DI, but I don't really know, I've never really looked into whether it works or not cause it always seems to work enough to be worth using. I don't like fthrowing cause Falco's tech chase game is either a guessing game (if you go for anything other than laser) or yields very low rewards (if you cover several options with laser).

lol IMO upthrow > fthrow > downthrow > backthrow. I really only use backthrow when my back is against the edge of the stage and I can throw them off; downthrow really only used situationally on some platforms, and then mostly just upthrow and fthrow.
bthrow >>>>>> dthrow. bthrow -> ftilt works like 90% of the time vs. fast fallers and frequently eats their jump off stage. and bthrow -> fsmash on fast fallers also works a lot more than it should (ROB$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It's still worse than uthrow and fthrow though.

If that link didn't help, press your control stick or your cstick in a direction as the first hit of the uair hits you.
The direction you go if relevant though, that's the whole point of that link

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
0% fthrow->regrab

20% fthrow->(di away) laser or (di in) grab

40%+ fthrow->(di away) laser or (di in) tech chase

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
it works similarly to marth's fthrow chain. it works by giving them a few options and allows you to predict and punish their actions.

for example, if someone started jabbing out of my fthrow chain, i'd fsmash them the next time they tried it. if they buffer a dodge, you can dash dance and follow it.

no need to follow every one of my posts and point out obvious things mogwai.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
uhg, well, no, you're giving blatantly wrong advice in an advice thread, so it is important that I correct you.

Falco's fthrow chain isn't like Marth's, in that the counter to Falco's is "do anything because you have a frame advantage," whereas Marth's actually works at 0-5%ish on the whole cast. seriously, unless you've knocked the controller out of your opponent's hands, you should not be able to link fthrow -> fthrow.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Marth's doesn't even combo at 0-5% if you DI away.
You can still buffer a roll/spotdodge.

That's better than what Falcos fthrow does, but most people just do something to not get grabbed again after fthrow.
Seriously try it, fthrow is pretty cool if you mix it up with up- and backthrow.

PS: and why would you dthrow on platforms?
who techs that when he can just DI the lasers to get off the plattform?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Marth's doesn't even combo at 0-5% if you DI away.
You can still buffer a roll/spotdodge.

That's better than what Falcos fthrow does, but most people just do something to not get grabbed again after fthrow.
Seriously try it, fthrow is pretty cool if you mix it up with up- and backthrow.

PS: and why would you dthrow on platforms?
who techs that when he can just DI the lasers to get off the plattform?
I'm not disagreeing with fthrow being good, I love fthrowing people off stage and I sometimes do it to create tech situations, I'm just saying it doesn't chain at all. I'm not sure on the frame data on Marth's, but I am sure that the only responses that might get you out at 0% are buffered spotdodge/roll, which are hard to do on reaction at least, whereas Falco's is easily avoided by doing almost anything at the %s where it doesn't ground the opponent.

if you're in the center of the platform, dthrow -> shield leads to easy tech chases because you can shine OoS vs. get up attack and tech in place and you're close enough to still catch up to either tech roll. if you're near the edge of the platform, I tend to pretend it's the edge of the stage and f/bthrow them off the platform and pursue with an aerial (though dropping and shooting is probably a better idea in general.)

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
How to you deal with a Marth who waits near the ledge and powershields so well!?

What is the best way to approuch against a Marth who likes to dash away a lot when you try an aerial towards him and you it's hard to laser him because he powershields so well!?

I will give you guys videos when I can but some advice would be great!

voorhese

Smash Master
How to you deal with a Marth who waits near the ledge and powershields so well!?

What is the best way to approuch against a Marth who likes to dash away a lot when you try an aerial towards him and you it's hard to laser him because he powershields so well!?

if he "powershields so well" i would guess either you are not lasering well enough, or once you hit him with a laser you dont take advantage of it....i will have to see the video

JesiahTEG

Smash Master

My play partner KoJ suffers from this problem because of me haha. He is currently attempting to make low lasers muscle memory now so when I powershield it, he is already jumping over it. This is not possible with medium height lasers. If you shoot high lasers though, you could crouch under them, but that means not moving against a Marth who just powershielded a laser.

After you adjust your height, laser over and over until they miss, or mix in a more competent ground game of dash dancing (going traditional for the win). Just be careful because your dash isn't as long or as fast as Marth's is, which is why most Falco's laser spam him in the first place.

Beating his dash dancing is necessary not just for him, but against every high level player. Every other (good) character is gifted with a fantastic grab game, and most abuse it by baiting aerial approaches with dash dancing to mes your spacing, and grab you during l-cancel lag. If you are going to approach him near the edge he only has so far he can run to dash dance camp you. You have to remember to overshoot.

However, approaching Marth near an edge is just asking for your stock to be taken though. Your best bet is to use platforms carefully, dash dancing, and lasers to force him center stage where you can take his ******** gimping game away from him.

Top Bottom