• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mangos Falco Advice

Falcinho

Smash Ace
yeah i completely agree that marths DI dependent fthrow chain is 100 times better than Falcos pseudo fthrow chain.
However if you fthrow at low% and then run at them as if you wanted to grab again many people do something to avoid that grab = lag for them

And why do your opponents tech the dthrow on platforms?
If they just hold the controll stick to one side they will ASDI the lasers of the dthrow which will carry them off the platform

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
My play partner KoJ suffers from this problem because of me haha. He is currently attempting to make low lasers muscle memory now so when I powershield it, he is already jumping over it. This is not possible with medium height lasers. If you shoot high lasers though, you could crouch under them, but that means not moving against a Marth who just powershielded a laser.

After you adjust your height, laser over and over until they miss, or mix in a more competent ground game of dash dancing (going traditional for the win). Just be careful because your dash isn't as long or as fast as Marth's is, which is why most Falco's laser spam him in the first place.

Beating his dash dancing is necessary not just for him, but against every high level player. Every other (good) character is gifted with a fantastic grab game, and most abuse it by baiting aerial approaches with dash dancing to mes your spacing, and grab you during l-cancel lag. If you are going to approach him near the edge he only has so far he can run to dash dance camp you. You have to remember to overshoot.

However, approaching Marth near an edge is just asking for your stock to be taken though. Your best bet is to use platforms carefully, dash dancing, and lasers to force him center stage where you can take his ******** gimping game away from him.
wow never thought of lasering like that... Thanks! =D

forward

Smash Champion
How to you deal with a Marth who waits near the ledge and powershields so well!?

What is the best way to approuch against a Marth who likes to dash away a lot when you try an aerial towards him and you it's hard to laser him because he powershields so well!?

I will give you guys videos when I can but some advice would be great!
Marth at ledge: Bait shields with DD, WD, empty short hops, then go for the grab. If he whiffs a grab, hit him with f smash if you can, if not then nair, dair, bair, or f tilt are your best options. It just depends on your spacing. Sometimes the marth will know that you are waiting for him, so he'll just attack you. In that case, you just have to predict that, and hit him before he hits you.

DD Marth: This is hard to explain because english words don't describe spacing very well. Basically though, when you do a sh aerial, you want to land at the farthest distance that marth could reach from a backwards dash. So if Marth is standing still, and he dashes backwards once, that's where you want to land when you do your aerial. Stick with shuffle nairs for when he retreats, if he starts trying to run behind you or you think you will land behind him, switch to dair.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
You're welcome. I had to post from his account. Seriously though, the match-up becomes even almost if you are willing to be extremely patient if he is near the edge, and not getting grabbed anywhere.
no, it turns into Falco's favor (very tenuous advantage because your mistakes are more costly, but an advantage non-the-less).

JPOBS

Smash Hero
these last couple pages have been really informative.

**** people are gettign good these days those, asdi lasers on downthrow so you dont land on the platform? haha there goes one of my favourite traps.

unknown522

Some guy
How to you deal with a Marth who waits near the ledge and powershields so well!?

What is the best way to approuch against a Marth who likes to dash away a lot when you try an aerial towards him and you it's hard to laser him because he powershields so well!?

I will give you guys videos when I can but some advice would be great!
My play partner KoJ suffers from this problem because of me haha. He is currently attempting to make low lasers muscle memory now so when I powershield it, he is already jumping over it. This is not possible with medium height lasers. If you shoot high lasers though, you could crouch under them, but that means not moving against a Marth who just powershielded a laser.

After you adjust your height, laser over and over until they miss, or mix in a more competent ground game of dash dancing (going traditional for the win). Just be careful because your dash isn't as long or as fast as Marth's is, which is why most Falco's laser spam him in the first place.

Beating his dash dancing is necessary not just for him, but against every high level player. Every other (good) character is gifted with a fantastic grab game, and most abuse it by baiting aerial approaches with dash dancing to mes your spacing, and grab you during l-cancel lag. If you are going to approach him near the edge he only has so far he can run to dash dance camp you. You have to remember to overshoot.

However, approaching Marth near an edge is just asking for your stock to be taken though. Your best bet is to use platforms carefully, dash dancing, and lasers to force him center stage where you can take his ******** gimping game away from him.
lol, PP vs scar. Scar powershielded 1/3 lasers and the never stopped PP. He just kept lasering and his SH would go over the laser.

I've had low level / mediocre level players do this to me as well. Powershielding falco's lasers from a distance is useless.

Marth at ledge: Bait shields with DD, WD, empty short hops, then go for the grab. If he whiffs a grab, hit him with f smash if you can, if not then nair, dair, bair, or f tilt are your best options. It just depends on your spacing. Sometimes the marth will know that you are waiting for him, so he'll just attack you. In that case, you just have to predict that, and hit him before he hits you.

DD Marth: This is hard to explain because english words don't describe spacing very well. Basically though, when you do a sh aerial, you want to land at the farthest distance that marth could reach from a backwards dash. So if Marth is standing still, and he dashes backwards once, that's where you want to land when you do your aerial. Stick with shuffle nairs for when he retreats, if he starts trying to run behind you or you think you will land behind him, switch to dair.

Eric, These are good answers. Empty jump, then waveland backwards or in place usually will make them try to grab you, then you get a free hit (almost every time I've played M2K and various other marths, it worked.......I was fox though vs M2K).

You can also just not miss l-cancels at the edge. When he shields your d-air / n-air -> shine, then it will most likely push marth off the stage and make him grab the ledge. Since marth doesn't have an amazing way to get back onto the stage (his ledge WD isn't invincible the whole way through), if he ledge WDs, you can hit him with a smash / f-tilt / grab. You can space yourself, so that marth has no safe way of getting back onto the stage (hard to do). If you stand out of range from where his ledge-hop f-air would go, then you can:

- hit him through his n-air with f-tilt / f-samsh
- he will whiff f-air if you're spaced right and f-tilt him
- you can hit him through his ledge WD before he can shield or attack you (he may be able to sheild, dunno about his frame data, but no one can seem to do it if it's possible)
- you can see him do a normal getup from the ledge, then you can f-smash him (the timing is pretty tight, but falco's f-smash lasts a long time, so just throw it out early)
- CC his ledge attack -> f-smash

If you miss an l-cancel, or get grabbed through your move, then you've probably lost a stock.

Also, if he's too far to get pushed off the stage, then he's probably too far from the ledge to get a guaranteed gimp.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
So i read a youtube comment which pretty much summed up why i like fthrow:

"Man you gotta love Falco foward grab, He just balls his fist and punch you right in the ****en face."

xP

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i've been wondering something for a few days.

normally for as long as i've played falco when i hit my opponent off and they recover at a high upward angle, i normally just snipe em a few times with full/double jumped lasers just because i've always done it and a few more percents damage couldnt hurt right?

lately i've been thinking, pretty much the whole cast survival DIs and then just di's towards the stage while recovering until they get to the point where they can use their jump/b-up

what i've thought is that shooting them at all actally helps their recovery because they can ASDI/SDI the laser towards the stage and get just that little bit extra of horizontal movement from it.

so basically, unless you specifically shoot a laser to steal their jump at the right moment, shooting ecess lasers is actually bad right?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
na, shooting lasers while they're offstage is fine so long as you don't let it get in the way of what you're planning on doing to edgeguard. SDIing the lasers doesn't give them a noticeable gain in horizontal movement, if any gain at all.

also, we typically don't plan on stealing the opponent's jump with lasers, it just happens and then we lol at our good fortune.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
you can use auto l-canceled weak bairs as combos, ive been noticing...for example

do the normal shine dairs on a fox until like 45% or whenever it is that they can start to tech it

then you do a weak auto canceled bair and then you can either up tilt or more bairs or nairs or fsmashes its pretty good

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Falco has a shine, but that isn't a very good light source for reading. I suggest purchasing a desk lamp or going outside on a bright day; you really shouldn't read in bad lighting.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think what he means is that even when he reads his opponents with falco, theres generally not much he can do.

falco's gground speed blows so he's not like falcon/fox/sheik/marth who can techchase on reaction or cover multiple options with one setup.

Falco's read punishes basically boil down to you choose one option and cover it, if they did that tech then is **** sesh, if they did soemthing else, just shoot lasers. falco is lame like that.

Hypethug

Smash Journeyman
How are u supposed 2 tech Marths counter......I try 2 DI into the stage and nothing I still get ***** by it.....and going strait up sometimes leaves me open for another Jab, down tilt or fwrd smash

Hypethug

Smash Journeyman
Yah that's what I thought.......thanks mogwai.......so when I get jabed should I drop far enough so that when I fire bird I can tech the counter at the peak of my recovery

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Does that mean you should be SDI-ing down and in? Give you a slight boost in case you're too bi?
sorta. I just DI in, but I don't tech counter often... read on.

Yah that's what I thought.......thanks mogwai.......so when I get jabed should I drop far enough so that when I fire bird I can tech the counter at the peak of my recovery
ok, so if he's jabbing first and then countering, your opponent needs to work on their edgeguarding. the correct response after jab is always to go out there and non-tipper fair/reverse upB/forward B Falco, 100% guaranteed kill, super easy.

against someone who's set response is to stay on stage and counter vs. Firebird from below and jab at everything else(the standard Marth edgeguard these days), you just need to learn to firebird to the ledge from below so that you trigger the counter but so that it doesn't hit. I'll try to find one of my vids later tonight where I do it.

Hypethug

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I sometimes trigger the counter and grab the ledge without getting hit.........and he doesn't always edgeguard me like that he also edgegurads me the way u say is 100% guarenteed kill

Top Bottom