• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Resident Evil series started going downhill since 4 came out.

Don't get me wrong, 4 was an amazing game.Regenerators were one of the freakiest things I have ever come across.

But 5 was pretty poor IMO.They should have called it "Brainwashed Negro Blaster"

The series has lost it's terror entirely.

I mean I just started playing RES 1 for the Wii there last week.

It's so much scarier.

Res 5 was just a 3rd person action/shooter game IMO, not a survival horror.

I agree with everything you just said.

5 was fun (and I just got it again. Thanks hacker, you dumb schmuck! (When my account was hacked, either the hacker was an idiot and bought RE5 and Alan Wake with all addons, or Xbox gave to me, along with 12months of live. :D Cheyah!)). But not scary. 4 was great. I beat the **** out of that game. I got everything there was to get.

Also, "Hard Corps: Uprising" is on sale this week for 600 points. WELL worth it if you ask me. But I'm the kinda guy who likes to shoot myself in the foot and call it a challenge (AKA I like top down shooters, or in this case, Contra. The game IS a spiritual successor to Contra).

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Resident Evil series started going downhill since 4 came out.

Don't get me wrong, 4 was an amazing game.Regenerators were one of the freakiest things I have ever come across.

But 5 was pretty poor IMO.They should have called it "Brainwashed Negro Blaster"

The series has lost it's terror entirely.

I mean I just started playing RES 1 for the Wii there last week.

It's so much scarier.

Res 5 was just a 3rd person action/shooter game IMO, not a survival horror.
I agree. I loved RE4, I beat Ada Wong's side quest thing and unlocked all the infinite ammo weapons. (i.e. The Rocket Launcher and Chicago Typewriter) <3

Since I'm probably going to get a new 360 this winter, I'll pick up the HD version of RE4 since it will have all the bonus content from the previous RE4 releases, including the Separate Ways epilogue. Depends how much tho. Not gonna pay over $20 for it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah...was never big on horror games (cause as I said earlier...I prefer to spectate rather than play), but RE4 and 5...I could play on my own with no problem. Rarely did I have a jumpy moment. I think the two times that got me were both in RE4...when you fall in the sewers and hear something crawling, and being in that laboratory with the regenerator appearing "dead".

Also, fighting the right hand man was a bit jumpy as well.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I jumped out of my seat when you're on that military base island and a guy on fire jumps out of the oven and runs towards you.

Also, F.E.A.R. on the 360 gave me nightmares for weeks. Damn Alma...x_x

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I liked the story of FEAR. I remember I was at a sleep over and one of my friends brought his desktop over (LAN party, woot!) to finish FEAR...he had the lights off in the room and one of my friends jumped him from behind. Good times...

Now I need to go read up on the story of Fear 2 and 3.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah...was never big on horror games (cause as I said earlier...I prefer to spectate rather than play), but RE4 and 5...I could play on my own with no problem. Rarely did I have a jumpy moment. I think the two times that got me were both in RE4...when you fall in the sewers and hear something crawling, and being in that laboratory with the regenerator appearing "dead".

Also, fighting the right hand man was a bit jumpy as well.
The right hand man is the only part that made me jump. It wasn't even the fight itself. It was just the beginning part where he's following you and you see his vision, and the anticipation before he attacks you the first time.

Honestly once that happened it was just annoying having to dodge every 5 seconds >_>.

and I have the wii version so I was shaking the wii mote...a lot.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I've been playing Dragon Age 2 lately.To be honest I like it a lot more then the Mass Effect games which kinda bore me.Game has a few bugs though but none of them are game breaking.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I've never played a Mass Effect game before. I plan on borrowing ME2 from a friend once he's done with it. Will I be clueless when I play ME2 before ME1?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
For the love of god please play the 1st one before the 2nd.
Fine, seems kinda wrong to play the 2nd game before the 1st one IMO anyways.

ME2 is $20 now.You can probably get the 1st one for $15
Thanks, will definitely consider picking them up soon. Any tips for a newcomer/beginner to the ME series? All I know about the games are that you take cover and shoot people and talk. And your choices change the storyline.

That it?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Fine, seems kinda wrong to play the 2nd game before the 1st one IMO anyways.

Thanks, will definitely consider picking them up soon. Any tips for a newcomer/beginner to the ME series? All I know about the games are that you take cover and shoot people and talk. And your choices change the storyline.

That it?
Also lots and lots of sidequests and places to explore.

I recommend starting on the 2nd easiest difficulty too.

Just to give the game that bit more of a challenge.

finalark

SNORLAX
For the love of god please play the 1st one before the 2nd.
I second this. ME2 feels much more complete if you play the first one first, because you can import your old character and the choices you made on him/her effect the plot in ME2.

Also, just as a word of caution, ME1 is more RPG than shooter. I actually liked this more how much they dumbed down ME2.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
WTF are you on?!
Exactly what I was thinking.

It's hard to not just outright love ME2 (or Mass Effect in general), but I will try and say this as objectively as possible: A LOT happened in ME2 to further the plot.

Whether it was good or bad, well, that's subjective. You're entitled to an opinion. But you can't really say "nothing happened" because that's fallacious.

Smooth Criminal

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd play ME if I was interested, but it just doesn't look interesting to me. Plus that star wars setting is unsettling to me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The newest Platinum Hits version of ME1 has all of the DLC, I don't know about ME2 though.
If you buy the PS3 version of ME2 it has all of the DLC content, iirc.

And I understand where ZIO's coming from. I'm usually not too keen on science fiction-y settings because they usually focus on the super-science claptrap rather than the characters themselves and at the cost of any meaningful plot. I've read books where they would go on and on about quantum mechanics for pages and pages on end rather than move the general plot along. Let's face it: I find it hard to relate to characters that prattle on about something I know next to nothing about, and that was the case for these books. I didn't care about the science behind it all; I care about the stories, dammit.

Fortunately, there are plenty of examples in the sci-fi genre where this isn't the case, and Mass Effect's story is one of them. It pans out more as a space opera, really, where the characters/cultures are what really matter. Makes excellent fodder for stories.

Star Wars is actually an okay setting as long as George Lucas isn't penning the story for any of it (or if it isn't a Force Unleashed game). Man makes a good setting but boy does he write the corniest hackneyed ****.

Shrug.

Smooth Criminal

finalark

SNORLAX
Ah, I see what you mean now. Yeah, hard sci fi settings tend to be rather boring unless you're enthralled by theoretical quantum physics.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Are star wars games really that bad? Do their story even have to do anything with the movies or what?

EDIT:

You know what F8AL change my thread title in the queue to Fuelbi's Aides Emporium for Little Boys and Girls

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I haven't played a Star Wars game in forever, but Shadows of the Empire and Episode 1 Podracing on the N64 are amazing games!!

I also agree that Mass Effect looks really boring. I don't have any of the systems it's on so I'm not too worried about it either way

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Some of the games are very good (KOTR 1 & 2, Shadows of the Empire, Return of the Jedi). As far as tie-ins go? Some of them explain gaps between the movies. Shadows of the Empire bridges the gulf between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, chronicling the adventures of Dash Rendar and his encounters with the likes of Luke Skywalker and IG88. Force Unleashed iirc bridges the gap between Episode 3 and Episode 4, telling the story of Vader's secret apprentice. Other games like KOTR serve to expand the setting, describing the eras that preceded modern Star Wars (the upcoming MMO is going to take it back even further).

As I said, I just feel George Lucas needs to just stay away from making stories within his own setting. Especially when it comes to making movies.

Smooth Criminal

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Are star wars games really that bad? Do their story even have to do anything with the movies or what?

EDIT:

You know what F8AL change my thread title in the queue to Fuelbi's Aides Emporium for Little Boys and Girls
No. You know why. :glare:

Dude, you're tellling us you haven't played ME1 nor 2?:/
Nope, never had any interest/urge to play the ME series till now since you can get them for cheap and I've seen the reviews.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
>_>

If we're going by gameplay for those Star Wars games...? Shadows of the Empire is my all-time favorite. Followed closely by Return of the Jedi for SNES.

Smooth Criminal

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No. You know why. :glare:

Nope, never had any interest/urge to play the ME series till now since you can get them for cheap and I've seen the reviews.
I just want to give kids aides F8AL. I want them to learn that just by havin a healthy diet doesn't mean that you'll lose weight by yourself. You need aides to help the kids F8AL

Why are you against helping the children out man? That's just ignorance

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Shadows of the Empire was SUCH a good game. That and Rogue Squadron (N64. Not so much the GC ones. >_>)

Force Unleashed was fun. It's fun playing as a Jedi version of Kratos. Cause that's the easiest thing to compare that game to.

Haven't bothered with the second one.

The games have gone downhill because Lucas' "idea for the perfect Star Wars story" never really existed. I still think he's making it up as he goes along.

If you want a GOOD Star Wars story? Read Timothy Zahn's Thrawn(?) Trilogy and Dualogy. That was some fantastic reading back then. I should re-read them.

I will always recommend Dresden Files. That book series is about a wizard who lives in Chicago who is also a private investigator. Fantastic series.

I'm currently reading the second volume of the Song of Ice and Fire series (You may know it as Game of Thrones, the tv show on HBO). Excellent fantasy series. And it's not high fantasy per se, like LotR. More... Camelot/King Arthur/Merlin ish. Like Dragons and stuff, but no elves/faeries.

Oh, and there's zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom