• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mercenaries mode is good enough to be a game on its own.

And besides, for a handheld, which would you rather have? An actual RE, or mercenaries?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Capcom's always been like this when it comes to Street Fighter. It's simply no longer okay for them to do it.
One thing I'll give MvC is their lack of not doing that.

Anyone know where I can get good deals on mangas? I want all the Naruto ones...

finalark

SNORLAX
One thing I'll give MvC is their lack of not doing that.
Capcom's always been pretty good when it comes to their other fighters. SF is just such a big cash cow that they release a million versions of each game.

Anyone know where I can get good deals on mangas? I want all the Naruto ones...
Used bookstores (at least in Tucson) tend to have them for pretty cheap. As opposed to the hefty $7 price tag they usually ask for. I also suggest Ebay.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I mean, really?

On a handheld? The ambiance of the game is lost when the game is made portable.

The point of a handheld game is to be short, sweet, simple, and above all else, fun. I can't possibly see myself having any of the RE fun (which is suppose to be scared ****less every step I take) if that's on a small screen while I ride the bus.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Think about the save system. And also - pokemon is rather simple, but can be just as complicated.

finalark

SNORLAX
Think about the save system.
Well yes, I personally think that restricting players to have points is a stupid idea on a handheld, that doesn't make Pokemon any shorter. But yes, it can be a very simple game if you don't want to get into the stat and team building aspect.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Which is something someone like me will not invest time in. But it's a choice, so that right there helps it being an ideal addition to portable gaming.

But think about all the other top sold handheld (or, now, just simply portable) games. Tetris being the top sold, does that not fit the idea I mention? And what about the top app Angry Birds? Doesn't it still apply?

btw - the numbers of apps Angry birds has lent out is heinous. Too bad those numbers aren't sold numbers.

finalark

SNORLAX

But think about all the other top sold handheld (or, now, just simply portable) games. Tetris being the top sold, does that not fit the idea I mention? And what about the top app Angry Birds? Doesn't it still apply?
Its true that simple and fast games are great for short bus rides, but that doesn't mean that that's all that handheld games should be.

The only time I play handhelds is when I'm out on vacation. Puzzle games are fun, but for me they can only be played in short bursts every so often. This is why I tend to play RPGs and platformers on my handhelds, as they last longer and bring a more satisfying experience IMO.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, i was only nothing what the idea of a handheld has been.

As tech improves, of course getting these ridiculously long games on handheld was going to happen. No brainer.

But somethings don't translate well to handheld gaming. And I do not see a Legit RE being one of those things. The horror genre in total doesn't seem to sound right, imo. Mercenaries, though, sounds like the perfect thing to throw on to a handheld.

finalark

SNORLAX
But somethings don't translate well to handheld gaming. And I do not see a Legit RE being one of those things. The horror genre in total doesn't seem to sound right, imo. Mercenaries, though, sounds like the perfect thing to throw on to a handheld.
I have to agree with you on this. Horror games just don't seem to work well on a handheld mostly because you can't help but feel like tension and atmosphere is lost when restricted to a tiny screen.

finalark

SNORLAX
Use headphones.
I always use head phones.

Then again, I really shouldn't be running my mouth, as I've never played a horror game on a handheld. Therefor, I retract the previous statement about horror games on handhelds for it was a bad post and I feel bad for it.

EDIT: Also, apparently there's a rumor that at next years E3 (well, technically some time in 2012) Sony will unveil the PS4. If there's any truth to these rumors, then its a stupid move on Sony's behalf.

Sauce: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/plays...a-20110627104617728060/g-20060314115917309058

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I find it funny that they're already finding ways of ripping off the Wii U lol

And I say the last "horror" game was the first Silent Hill imo

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I find it funny that they're already finding ways of ripping off the Wii U lol

And I say the last "horror" game was the first Silent Hill imo
Nonsense. What are Silent Hill 2 and 3 then, platformers? What about Resident Evil gamecube remake? Pure survival horror. Fatal Frame? Siren? Cursed Mountain? Rule of Rose? Clocktower series? Amnesia: Dark Descent?

Tons of horror games, really.

Horror games are my personal favorite genre of game, but more than any other genre it relies on the right setting and mindframe. You wouldn't play Silent Hill in a bright room in the middle of the day. Just like you probably won't play Resident Evil Revelations on a bus ride. There NEEDS to be a dark room at the very least. A good sound system or headphones is great too.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I forgot about Amnesia, but those other ones suck imo

Horror is supposed to make you crap your pants, asides from Amnesia and Silent Hill, none of the other ones do

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That's completely subjective. You can't define a genre on what personally scares you.

The ReDeads in Ocarina of Time made me scared ****less when I was a kid. I guess Ocarina of Time is a horror game then?

finalark

SNORLAX
I forgot about Amnesia, but those other ones suck imo

Horror is supposed to make you crap your pants, asides from Amnesia and Silent Hill, none of the other ones do
"Horror fiction is a genre of literature, which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten its readers" -- wikipedia

If its intended to be scary, then its horror. If you find it scary or not is entirely up to you.

Also, have you even even played Clock Tower? Scary ****.

Horror games are my personal favorite genre of game, but more than any other genre it relies on the right setting and mindframe. You wouldn't play Silent Hill in a bright room in the middle of the day. Just like you probably won't play Resident Evil Revelations on a bus ride. There NEEDS to be a dark room at the very least. A good sound system or headphones is great too.
I liked how Amnesia actually gave you instructions on how to make the game as immersive and horrifying as possible.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
He makes a point, Roacherman.

I mean, I was scared as hell walking through the darkened rooms in Metroid prime before those ghosts started floatin around. I hate not being able to see where I'm going.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Clocktower Ghost Head (Clocktower 2 in the US) is pretty lame and actually doesn't have much to do with the rest of the series, but the other games are all pretty good.

Clock Tower 1 for the SNES is probably the scariest game of its time, no contest. I never imagined an SNES game could have the capacity to really creep me out, but man was I wrong.

The one that most people are familiar with is Clock Tower 2 (Clock Tower 1 in the US) for the PS1. It hasn't aged that well but back in the day it was really intense. I recommend either of those games unless you really hate point and click.

It's the first game I can think of that has a singular stalker killer that appears randomly and cannot be killed. That's why it was so scary. You could be in the middle of figuring out a puzzle and you'd hear the slicing of Scissorman's scissors as he comes down the hall and you have to stop everything and find a place to hide or a makeshift weapon to use before he finds you or you're basically screwed.

[yt]0sKYxHiudCQ[/yt]

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I can't say that any survival horror game outside of RE2 and certain parts of Dead Space 2 (****ing alarm clock) has made me jump in fright.

I will say that certain elements of each game's story/setting have left me shuddering, though. Silent Hill definitely hits the mark there; Pyramid Head alone is the least of any example ascribed to that freakish, tormented hellscape. Elements of Dead Space disconcert me as well, but the umpteenth amalgamation of children and warped flesh tends to lose its punch after a while, especially when it's recycled so casually. Eternal Darkness is another good example of the genre, with its chilling vignettes through moments in time and the constant ebb and flow of your sanity.

RE never really scared me in that way. The way the story was presented in the first game was good (creepy mansion filled with the walking dead and other abominations), but once you threw in sinister corporations and bio-engineered viruses and a lot of "et cetera" b-movie plot devices/twists it got its essence polluted. It lost a lot of its punch, I feel, as the games' story progressed. Not to say RE is a terrible series or anything like that---it isn't---I'm just not as invested or interested enough to focus on immersing myself in its trappings. If that makes any sense. I know Capcom tried fleshing it out in small ways but it still didn't draw me in.

Dead Space kind of does something similar in that it loses its flavor, but when I played that game I immediately thought of science fiction horror pieces like "The Thing" and "Alien" because of its presentation. It had good pacing at certain points (really good, IMO) just like those movies, balancing out action and suspense in the right amount. Plus the concept of the necromorphs freaked me the **** out a helluva lot more than the "conventional" virally-induced undead. That's why I can give it a respectable nod because when the good stuff was present, it was good; when it started recycling itself over and over again, becoming a game more inclined to blowing **** up with upgradable guns against the same enemies, it got kind of lame. It lost me by that point.

I dunno. That's just me, tho. I'd go on but I gotta get back to work.

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No love for Fatal Frame? Never played it myself, but I figure that was a horror game people liked.

Resident Evil turned into more of a action/survival genre.

Silent Hill is still there, but has lost some appeal. The one on the Wii was not all that scary =/. Just more...of a thriller on the psychological spectrum.

Clock Tower...omg...I didn't play the game, but I watched a playthrough on youtube...definitely see why people got scared playing it.

As for scary examples in non-horror games, like the re-dead in Zelda...you're right, that stuff was scary when I first played it (along with the whole Shadow Temple). However, I think you have to look at the audience as well. If Zelda was meant to be a horror type of game, then horror fans would be naturally playing it, and not everything would come off as scary or suspenseful. What the shadow temple did was provide quite a fright for a gamer like (who is not into the horror genre) me, but I know some of my friends who do play horror games that just gave me a -_- face.

IGN actually had an article a while back on some of the top twisted moments from Nintendo.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I know it's weird, but I actually really love Dead Space. The franchise as a whole is just really good to me, for some reason, and I really enjoy it.

I really have no idea why, haha.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, I definitely like Dead Space. It's just that it aligned itself with more action-y titles when you reached a certain point in the game. Especially in the second Dead Space where most of your surprises were exhausted within the first few hours and it stared to become pew-pew! all day.

I don't hate it or anything. I just wish it focused a little less on the action and the OP weapons/upgrades.

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I heard the main problem with DS2 was that it was the same tricks throughout the whole game.

With that being said, I haven't played both, but I have played the rail shooter on Wii. Extinction I believe.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That's exactly what I was getting at in my most recent post, Bored. X_X Aside from the theme-change. Forgive me for being ramble-y and jumbled. Not feeling so hot atm.

Smooth Criminal

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Man I used to hate those babies when I first played DS. I know deaths are not a major focus of the game but I wish other shooters and horror games had that same fill Dead Space had.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to agree with Smooth Criminal one his opinion of Dead Space. I think that the reason why there are times when Dead Space focuses more on the shooting than the horror is so it maintains mainstream appeal. I feel like the franchise wouldn't be nearly as successful if the shooting wasn't particularly important.

EDIT: On an absolutely unrelated note (unless I mention Lavender Town) my friend and I are playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green again. We plan to assemble a team and will have an epic gen 1 only battle after we've both finished the Elite Four. Does anyone have any tips as far as building a gen 1 team (using gen 3's mechanics) goes?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Resident Evil series started going downhill since 4 came out.

Don't get me wrong, 4 was an amazing game.Regenerators were one of the freakiest things I have ever come across.

But 5 was pretty poor IMO.They should have called it "Brainwashed Negro Blaster"

The series has lost it's terror entirely.

I mean I just started playing RES 1 for the Wii there last week.

It's so much scarier.

Res 5 was just a 3rd person action/shooter game IMO, not a survival horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom