• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruckOSaurus

Smash Apprentice
I have an history of playing as girl characters in fighting games starting with Chun Li in Street Fighter II then Orchid, Maya and Kim Wu in Killer Instinct. Now Peach in Brawl. I have no idea why though.

@Xsyven: Utah sucks! Come to Canada we have gay marriage, strong beer and semi legal marijuana.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I have no pattern with my mains... :(

My ex is a Melee peach main though-- and he's a pretty butch guy. (Butch sounds super manly. I really just mean to say he's not effeminate.)

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I main Peach, but I don't think that's because of her pinkness (I used white in Melee, red in Brawl) or her girliness. I mean, I main Dhalsim in Street Fighter @_@ He's not pink, and not exactly effeminate either.
i think alot of us main females anyway, not necessarily for the girlyness, i seconded sheena in bloody roar and shes as butchy as Samus even in the girlier outfit. my sig has a variety of mains for brawl w/ mostly the girls at the top(based in skill),

but Desu tries to cheat w/ the pink DDD. >.> i think he originally mained peach, but then this happened http://peachbakescake.ytmnd.com/

my Main for SF4 is Rose followed by Balrog and Sakura.

Timbers

check me out
I'm not a very big fighter buff but I guess I can apply it to RPGs, in that I always build my party with the three cutest guys god im such a homo

Deception

Smash Ace
I never understood the Peach main=gay thing. Plenty of people mained Peach in Smash because of her playstyle. I'm maining Peach at the moment, does that make me gay?

Daysoo

Smash Ace
i think alot of us main females anyway, not necessarily for the girlyness, i seconded sheena in bloody roar and shes as butchy as Samus even in the girlier outfit. my sig has a variety of mains for brawl w/ mostly the girls at the top(based in skill),

but Desu tries to cheat w/ the pink DDD. >.> i think he originally mained peach, but then this happened http://peachbakescake.ytmnd.com/

my Main for SF4 is Rose followed by Balrog and Sakura.
I also play pink Metaknight in BARLW. (Kirby in a costume! n_n)
I used Samus, Kirby, and Falcon in 64.
I use Gravity Suit Samus, pink Falcon, and default Kirby in Melee.

I use Zangief and Ryu in Super Turbo and SF4.
I use The Incredible Hulk green Potemkin in Guilty Gear.
I used Alex, Rock, Ryu, and Polymar in TvC. (Haven't played it at all recently :<)

--

In other news, I have a Brawl tournament tomorrow.
I'm fairly nervous. @_@;
I intend to make a profit instead of just breaking even this time, though! >_<
Wish me luck. o_x;

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
Heh, i kinda saw it more as someone who is gay happens to choose a more feminine character and not the other way around. Either way, I Don't know how some you guys Like peach's playstyle so much. her moveset feels so stiff for me(even in melee), I like characters that can react fast and more loosely like mario(Chun Li fast, i like).

Oh, and good luck to you desu.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
It was the playstyle that drew me to Peach at first :O
a savage machine of slaps, hips and hearts <3
though, to be fair, going into brawl, I had planned out a list of possible candidates that I wanted to try out
Pikachu for OG nostalgia, Peach and Zelda [because they were female/princesses? I dunno :O]

In all the mario games/games where she comes out as a playable character, I play as Peach now because of Brawl
it used to be Yoshi/Boo/Blooper [damn you M.Party 8 for sucking D8<]

I used to LOVE playing the females in RPGS [they were usually the clerics/mages, my preferred class :p]
I'm guessing it was a way for my subconcious to roleplay through the scenarios with the guys :p
because guy/guy relationships don't happen in videogames [and if the small, small chance they do, they're comic relief :/]

I grew up, and now I don't like females characters so much
I guess now my conscious is aware and jealous of what the girls are able to do/get
[though, it's also because I've grown to hate characters with stupid personalities :p]
bah humbug XP

now am in a mix of love/hating female characters :O
Not Peach, though :O
probably because there's nothing to be jealous of in-game and it's much easier to subconsciously enter that realm of roleplay :O [to note, my Brawl characters are: Peach, ZSS, Jiggs and Zelda; all I need is to play Nana and Marth and I'll have all the girls :p (Samus = ZSS)]

Internal dilemma each time I create characters in MMOs :p

@Desu: good luck :D

@Brav3r: really? D:
I find characters like link and falco to be stiff, clunky and heavy >_____>;;
all that weight is so limiting D:
though, I dunno if this is a result of being accustomed to light characters only or if I would have felt they were like that regardless :O

but yeah, her moveset may be 'stiff' but it's her dynamic playstyle that's amazing D:
especially with her float: she's all over the place, slapping, 'hip'-ing, crown-to-the-face-ing D:
her lightness accentuates her float/aerials and especially her speedy attacks :O

eh, bleargh
to each his/her own :3

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
In other news, I have a Brawl tournament tomorrow.
I'm fairly nervous. @_@;
I intend to make a profit instead of just breaking even this time, though! >_<
Wish me luck. o_x;
Don't worry. You have an inherent advantage. Brawl is a game that people play gay. And you main Dedede, so you have the chaingrab.

Play gay.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
@BitterRomantic I think I got into my mains because of playstyle too. I actually mained sheik in melee (and I was awful too...) and then Zelda got better in BARLW so I just started using here more (although I will use sheik every now and then when some n00b needs to come down off his high horse.) Ness and Peach I use to change things up so that nobody gets into a rut and figures out ways to beat me. But peach is def my favorite for such things (like the down+Y float combo that just pwns). Those poor little things never know why they have emotional trauma afterwards.

AND 100th POST!!

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
^lol, how is that on topic? sexy douchebags how?

@Brav3r: really? D:
I find characters like link and falco to be stiff, clunky and heavy >_____>;;
all that weight is so limiting D:
though, I dunno if this is a result of being accustomed to light characters only or if I would have felt they were like that regardless :O
He he,Im such light wieght person in real life(125lb),I like having a lot of wieght to toss around videogames. Its funny how i can make heavywieght appear to move faster, especailly Wolf. lol i could go on about heavywieghts but then agian thier stlye varies more than what im describing them as.(mostly wanted to piont out the wieght thing.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
Men are hot. And uncomplicated.

But I like characters that are lighter for the mobility factor alone. I hate slowmoving tanks in games. That's why God of War is such a good series in my book. It's not a bunch of standing around and shooting/swinging. It's a fully dynamic combat system that's great to play because you are in perpetual motion. I take that same principle to brawl (meaning I do more moving and less defense some days) and I have more fun than when using someone like gannondorf. I will not, however, use sonic. No. Just no. He has no range to him, and that kind of thing warrants way too much movement. Balance is very good indeed.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
eh my favs vary in type im not always picking fast characters nor do i always pick tanks. in CoNR2 my second main is Kurenai and shes slow as molasses and Sakuras faster, but only moderately. O.o

but fun playstyle is important to me too. i traded Ness for Lucas cause Lucas moveset feels more natural and fun to me. although i have noticed in other games my secondary is usually some big MAN character like so:

tekken5 M:Julia, Anna S:Marduk
VF5 M:Aoi <3 S: jeffery
SF4 M:Rose S:Balrog
GG: M:Bridget S: Potemkin
DBZB:IW/3 M: Videl S: Recoome
SC4 M: Sophie, Setsuka S:Rock, lizardman

GL Desu win lots o money

Timbers

check me out
^ Examples, please ^____^
so as not to push xysven's buttons, I'd rather not make an extensive list on this xP but an MMO I'm playing right now gives you the ability to control 3 characters (which is pretty neat when you have other parties running around like that) and you can customize your characters to a degree, so naturally I have one shirtless, the other in a swimsuit and the other is wearing a leather getup >_>

were you referring to men in games or men in real life?

either way, that seems like a generalization that is often wrong.
I think it's true, to a degree. I've never really met a guy that enjoyed beating around the bush and trying to drop these impossible hints all the time.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
true they are hotter, but I've met a lot who are just too **** complicated. Women may like to pretend that they are more complicated, but often it's just more convoluted, men can have just as much or more going on with them as women, it can just be harder to tell

yeah it worked... it was kickin again tonight. always a good thing.... maybe if it had a regular meeting time....

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I was totally the best (most overdressed :p) dressed player at G.I.M.P.E.D.1 lol.

Only straight men are less complicated than women.
even with straight men... they can be quite complicated. their complication is just more likely to be hidden than women's. In that way men are often far more complicated. I mean, if you don't divulge much about your feelings and such, how the hell am I supposed to guess them?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Men are way less complicated. Women don't pretend to be complicated, they ARE complicated. They have a million unspoken rules and they don't communicate or think like men at all. Men communicate and think like men making them less complicated. Seriously, it's that simple. Stop making things more difficult than they have to be.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Being that women are in general more socially based (yes this a is fairly verifiable finding) they tend to share their expeirences more often with each other and thus have more set ways of knowing what to do next, how to feel, etc etc. This can in large part be linked to why women generaly emphasize more with others and their sufferings because men share in other peoples sufferings less often. Not to say that they are unaware of them merely less likely to share.

I might also add that what men and women are defined as in a social gender sense has mostly been decided in the popular spheres by women. This would indicate some need or desire by women to uncomplicate things by trying to identify and categorize different aspects of our gendered lives.

As a side note, and not that it really matters, I'm a very gender concious straight male.

Men are way less complicated. Women don't pretend to be complicated, they ARE complicated. They have a million unspoken rules and they don't communicate or think like men at all. Men communicate and think like men making them less complicated. Seriously, it's that simple. Stop making things more difficult than they have to be.
Funnily enough, your kinda saying that we shouldn't complicate the issue. It would seem that your sorta calling for simplicity here rather than more traditionally speaking, being the one to make it complicated. Women's rules are definetly spoken since they share socially alot. Women expect men to comply with their rules in relationships. Men, not so much. I'm already conforming to some of those (un)spoken woman rules in the underlined parts by throwing in language that weakens my claim to make it seem less aggressive and more feminsitically friendly.

I would argue that men do not seek complication which doesn't make them uncomplicated by any means. Others might even argue it takes a complicated person to decomplicate things.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd have to agree with Tak.

I mean, if you don't divulge much about your feelings and such, how the hell am I supposed to guess them?
You don't have to guess. When a guy's sad, you know he's sad. When he's irritated, you know he's irritated. There's less passive aggressive issues and such overall.

The key word being overall.

Of course these are generalizations, there's always are going to be exceptions in both genders.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
any argument in 'complexity' of a gender needs to keep in mind of the culture's social constraints
same thing goes for what constitutes the gender roles

aside from that, it just depends on the person
though I can't successfully do it all the time due to the way I was raised, I try to keep an 'agendered' view on people, as in, I try to ignore the gender :O
when socializing, I don't see why it matters much; just respond to their personality

if you want to classify certain personalities and actions as acting under a predefined 'gender role,' then fine
but do realize that the category you set isn't always followed and have many variations on certain aspects :O

aside: the link for the chat doesn't work for me D:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yes were confined by gender roles but these gender roles aren't in anyway unnatural occurences. I'll expound more on this later I'm starving.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
I meant that as an overall thing too. Sorry. But Meno is right. Men tend to be relatively straightforward versus women. In general.

However, I know some very blunt girls and some very subtle dudes.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
generally, i dont think women can get any more complicated than what Takumaru explained. Unspoken words? well any group a poeple can hav unspoken words if they know eachother long enough otherwise How does that even work?

As for men, I kinda dont know what to say other than to relate it to how i behave.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I can't tell if this is supposed to be some sort of insult or not...
No its not really meant as an insult merely pointing out what you were saying was contrary to what you were implying i.e. Women are more complicated so don't complicate the issue by looking at it further. Why would the more complicated person argue against complication in essence. I'm also saying that I, as a man, am very aware of what some would identify to be Women's unspoken rules.

As to what I was saying earlier, people tend to construe gender as a social construct independent of biological factors and differences between men and women. That is to say that men and women are nearly identical, we just assisgned different roles to them for some random reason.

Firstly, if the cultural differences between men and women are independent of biological factors then why have so many of those same differences been recreated over and over in almost every culture worldwide? Cultural differences are biologically based too. Its not as if were silly people making things up and abritraly assigning different roles to either sex.

Secondly, people tend to self-assimilate into groups whether they realize or not. Alot of people fiegn independence from said main stream groups since their group is less pervasive. Alot of people at my school (an all-woman's college recently gone Co-ed) tend to see LGBT people as being without stereotypes that they self-asscribe to. Its simply not true as all people need connectedness and will find people to share similarities with.

There are different people out there but most would-be non comformist are much less different than they'd like to think.

The.End

Smash Cadet
Okay here is the way i put the hole women and gender role stuff.
First of all, each individual is believed to have a 'personality' or a set of patterns that they follow in situations. A personality is much more than it is. It's whether or not a person if open, whether or not this person decides to be complicated/hard to understand. Therefore, It can be assumed that both men and women can adopt such personality as 'complicated' in certain situations.
Another thing that might affect a person's role or state of thought might be the environment they are most comfortable with, or the environment they were raised in. Whether a person was raised in a family where they kept to themselves, or one that felt the need to explain themselves all the time, for example could be a main factor to why they are complicated.
It has become common to hear that 'women are more complicated to understand than men', though. But perhaps it would be best to keep it as a stereotype, because it's not exactly true for some cases.
Different people make up different personalities. Different sexes? It might be possible that there are certain differences in the way the person thinks, but otherwise, i would say this statement is simply a stereotype that most men would think true- unless, there are women who agree with the statement.
That is my opinon.

P.S. The chat is dead again =|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom