• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*lesser known tech* LSC (Ledge attack Shield Cancel)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Anyone remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54mPByImY0
Well, I'm presenting the reverse of it. I am not sure if I am the one who found it or not... but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tlfkRzgRQ

It isn't what I wanted, but the vid is close enough. At least it presents everything properly now.

Anyways, now onto discussing the tech.

Is this useful?
A: Unlike the DASC you are the one shielding. If you predict a ledge attack and shield dash in you can perform this tech... simple as that.

In the video I saw Pikachu and Samus DI back onto the ledge... WTF was that?
A: Almost every character has the ability to DI back onto the stage and perform an airial. This gives an opportunity to combo.
Here's a list of characters who can possibly DI back and combo from a weak airial:
:peach: Bair, Nair & Dair
:yoshi2: Bair
:warioc: Dair
:zelda: Nair
:toonlink: Bair & Nair
:popo: Nair
:kirby2: Dair & Bair
:wolf: Bair & Nair
:squirtle: Bair
:jigglypuff: Bair, Nair & Dair
:lucas: Nair
:luigi2: Bair
:mario2: Bair
:diddy: Bair & Nair
:samus2: Uair
:metaknight: Bair & Nair
:olimar: Nair
:ivysaur: Bair & Nair
:lucario: Nair
:marth: Nair
:ness2: Bair & Nair
:gw: Bair?
:sonic: Nair

Wait, can everyone jump back and attack?
A: Yes..... and no. Characters like Fox jump to high and to fast to land an attack.

WTF! Link went really high in that one clip!
A: You are very perceptive my young padawan learner. It seems like every character has the ability to get a freakin high jump if you jump and perform an airial at the same time. Timing is tightish though.

DIS IS KEWL!!! WUT CUN MAH CHAWECTR DOOooOO!?!?!?!?!?! ;p
A: Test it yourself n00b. <,<
I will say that Marth is very good at this and so is Ike.

Well, if you have a question... shoot!
Thanks goes to Blazingkatakiri for helping me test and record earlier today. 3 hours of this can be a pain in the ***, so thanks.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Well go ahead and make it even harder to get back on stage versus marth why don'tcha.

The computers would do this to me a lot, I never actually looke dinto the mechanics. Great work sl

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You have consistently terrible taste in music.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It appears SoCal is a step ahead of the metagame? =\

Will be good for the many that probably don't know. (Although shield push has been around for quiiitteee a while...people know when they'll get hit off a stage and can counter attack.)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
WTF! Link went really high in that one clip!
A: You are very perceptive my young padawan learner. It seems like every character has the ability to get a freakin high jump if you jump and perform an airial at the same time. Timing is tightish though.
I'm pretty sure it was a footstool...

And Zelda's lightnigkick was sexy lol

With mexican randomly aggressive metagame, I'm pretty sure this will be useful here...

Staco

Smash Champion
Shieldgrab is way better, if you know that they ledgeattack, because you can grab and throw them back offstage.
The use for this is pretty situational.

And as Yika said, it´s nothing special.

Yikarur

Smash Master
another problem is, if you are in the position to get hit back off-stage while shielding through ledgeattack you are in a bad position if your opponent chooses to do a regular get-up.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Shieldgrab is way better, if you know that they ledgeattack, because you can grab and throw them back offstage.
You can't do that in these particular situations because you're too close to the ledge and the ledge attack will push you offstage.

But yeah, just BAir if this ever happens to you, not exactly new.

Yikarur

Smash Master
You can't do that in these particular situations because you're too close to the ledge and the ledge attack will push you offstage.
Yes but why shielding as close to the edge while their are hanging on the ledge? like I said you cut a lot of your options while doing this.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yes but why shielding as close to the edge while their are hanging on the ledge? like I said you cut a lot of your options while doing this.
IMO you use this tech if you find yourself in this situation, not as a ledge-guarding choice.

There will be times where you can't position yourself in time for a shield-grab or whatever. During those times you prepare to do BAir if the opponent ledge-attacks.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I do this all the time. It's actually pretty useful , especially if you have good OoS options, because it's not like you'll get attacked. Shield grab doesn't cover nearly as many options =/

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Have a list of characters that move back onstage with a [preferably weak] aerial?

lucario being able to do it surprised me

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've known this since forever. Wolf can also nair. It's just bad to shield at the edge because you diminish your shield and characters like Mk wait for that to happen to nado back on stage.

saviorslegacy

IMO what makes this useful is the ability to go back onto the stage while performing any airial. It gives Samus her cool combo and just about anyone can finish their combo with a grab.
Some characters like Squirtle have this as a better option than a shield grab. We just need to figure out who those characters are.

ps I just threw that music clip in there, it's not my final choice.

:EDIT:
I'll continue testing this later but the reason why I can't finish it right now is because family is over for Thanksgiving, finals are coming up and my testing buddy will be gone over Christmas break. So worst case scenario is the video and testing won't be done till January.

saviorslegacy

Who cares if it is new or not? If it is useful, little known and most importantly, looks cool then why not present it to the community?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've naturally been doing this (especially when i slide off platforms from being hit) because once I did a nair out of it of the ledge (and me being Ike, we all know what that means...), I have practiced to only do bairs so I don't kill myself

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is easy stuff for Peach - the moment you get pushed off in your shield, you can start a Float and counterattack with a Bair or any other aerial for that matter

Come to think of it...I wonder if she'd have enough time to Float back onstage and Up Smash someone? Seems very unlikely unless they were above 100% but even then...

Veel

Smash Apprentice
It's a nice thing to do for the people who don't know but it's Smashboards 101 that you get bashed for pointing out situational minutia of basic game mechanics. Any who the larger jump you are getting sometimes is most likely just a stool hop while they are still in their get up attack animation.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
At around 0:15, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TEXTURE?
If you mean the Yoshi's Island? It's my Spear Pillar YI. It's not quite finished so it's not available for download yet. (Only reason you saw it is because this was recorded using my wii)
Only vid I have of the texture: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlazingKatakiri?feature=mhum#p/u/0/pEZ6gvjSKVs

Anyway, this tech is kinda 'meh.' It requires the player and the opponent to be in very specific spots and the opponent has to do a very specific action.
It's an option that you should keep in mind, but don't rely on it as your primary edge guarding tactic.

Tesh

Smash Hero
We probably need to bring back that old thread where everyone shared obscure facts about basic game mechanics and character techniques. This is really old, but its clear that alot of people didn't know about it.

This is something I use onstage alot on norfair/brinstar with Ganon (obviously), but using it by the ledge seems kind of bad. Even if they do just the right thing to push you off the ledge for this to work, you still wind up just knocking them towards the center of the stage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It looks like people need to play more N64 Smash. This is almost the only safe way to shield in that game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex is well informed on how to play Smash 64!?

/frillyschoolgirllaugh
It's my favorite game in the series. :)

I try to keep up with it, but that doesn't really make me so good at it. I'm alright, but, regardless, I'm always up to play it.

saviorslegacy

What am I supposed to say then?
"Little known tech *LSC* with video!"

Yeah, go critique somewhere else. I hate it when people nit pick. -_-
It's here, I spent precious time researching it, compiled a video (always annoying) and called it a day (stopped working on it) and people have the gumshin to complain. -_-

Dekar173

Justice Man
Little known?

:|

If you shield next to a ledge, and get knocked off, you are now airborne and thus don't have shielddrop lag or anything, as you are airborne.

Good stuff showing it off, but you've really gotta become more knowledgeable and learn that most things ARE in fact already known lol.

saviorslegacy

Little known?

:|

If you shield next to a ledge, and get knocked off, you are now airborne and thus don't have shielddrop lag or anything, as you are airborne.

Good stuff showing it off, but you've really gotta become more knowledgeable and learn that most things ARE in fact already known lol.
Not true, it depends on where you are facing. If you face in you will eat prat fall stun, if you face out you have no stun.

Actually in the original OP I said something along the lines of I figured this is already known. I am pretty sure that I even told my testing buddy that this is probably already known. The only thing that I figured was not know was DIing back onto the stage while attacking.
I edited a big chunk of the OP out because it was large and useless. Apparently I edited that part out to on accident.

@Palpi
The only thing I care about is making Brawl a better game... or at least making Sheik tourney worthy. If you like this and use it effectively then mission accomplished.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Saviorslegacy, no matter what you find or post, it has been found by knuckles95 already back in 08.
Thought they can't prove it no matter what.

I am sure everyone knew about bdacus when it was mentioned for the first time.

Top Bottom