• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby & The Amazing Guide

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I gave up on the B-throw a loooong time ago. I primarily only use it to get someone off the stage when the ledge is behind me... or for Kirbycides in Melee.

If only B-throw were as awesome as F-throw for combos... or had more horizontal knockback. :\

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I gave up on the B-throw a loooong time ago. I primarily only use it to get someone off the stage when the ledge is behind me... or for Kirbycides in Melee.

If only B-throw were as awesome as F-throw for combos... or had more horizontal knockback. :\
...or could still Kirbycide. Srsly, if he had his suicide throws back, it would make Kirby so broken it wouldn't even be funny. I'm talking more broken than a child Meta Knight and Snake would have (if they could have children), then x 9001.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Even though dthrow mixups are good, I still prefer fthrow because I don't have to guess for the uair... haha

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I didn't say D throw cant combo. Reread my post, I said if you cant combo, as in, when they've taken too much damage. I'm almost certain if you can do it f throw to uair to reverse u tilt bair(s) does more damage. On lighter characters I do use d throw for that regrab.

Nice try, come again. >_<
Oops, my bad, though I still disagree with some of it. It really depends on what player/character you're playing against. Dthrow strings CAN do more damage, but Fthrow strings tend to be safer and easier. To me, which one I do depends on whether A) The character can hit me out of it, B) The character can get out with little to no DI, and C) If my opponent is someone like Anther who has God DI.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
For those of you who don't keep up with AiB updates, I've added all the changes and additions to this guide as found there. Enjoy. :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
The links in the AT section are broken
Just read it all, great guide =)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Update:
The links to the Advanced Techniques have been fixed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Teneban.

PZ

Smash Lord
hey have you ever wonder if you could update the guide? just asking cause after a year or 2 ago thingz have changed. you might find something new:chuckle:

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
I really don't know how to answer that one. The guide has been a work-in-progress ever since the game came out. That basically means it gets plenty of updates. The last time the guide was edited, as seen at the bottom of the guide's posting date, was in November of this year.

If I were to do any major update, it would probably be to make it shorter and more concise. A more compact guide would be much easier to digest.

PZ

Smash Lord
I really don't know how to answer that one. The guide has been a work-in-progress ever since the game came out. That basically means it gets plenty of updates. The last time the guide was edited, as seen at the bottom of the guide's posting date, was in November of this year.

If I were to do any major update, it would probably be to make it shorter and more concise. A more compact guide would be much easier to digest.
did not see when it was updated sorry

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Section II "Moveset Data" has been updated with pictures of HitBoxes for every attack.
-^_^-

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I agree with T1mmy. I really don't see the need for a completely new guide...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Someone recommending != everyone recommending... I said it was dumb in the GD too, as did Viper, I believe.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
It makes sense not to make an entirely new guide. I think we should have t1mmy add on stuff that we write about to his guide, creating an amazingly amazing guide. Or if there's a wall of text for something, he could be like "Blah blah blah. *Name* has written a lot about this move, you can check it out here."

Edit: t1mmy, the links in the OP to the different sections are broken.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh yes, I forgot about the links because they're not technically suppose to be here on the SWF version (they link to the AiB chapters). Well, they're fixed now at any rate .

When I said a second guide shouldn't just reiterate the information already present in this guide, I didn't mean there shouldn't be a second guide. It's just that if a second guide is made, it should bring something new to people, not more of the same.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... didn't know about the fast laser thing.

That being said, T!mmy, either you or someone working on the other guide should put together a list of stage exploits we can do, because we have a ****ton on a lot of stages. Sure it's all situational, but we have so much stuff it's worth knowing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Off topic convo is off topic, and I don't really care about it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
New update.

I changed the way the hitboxes are written. Now when an attack hits, those frames are boxed [using brackets]. If a hitbox has different properties - but remains the same hitbox - then those properties are separated by parenthesis. Sweetspots in this display are bolded.

Example, N-air:
Hits on: [(10-11)(12-14)(15-19)(20-33)]

I also got around to double checking all the data and fixing anything that was incorrect. Specifically:

Dash Attack
Hits on: [12], [15], [19], [24], [30], [35-37]

F-air
Hits on: [10-11], [17-18], [25-26]

B-air
Hits on: [(6-8)(9-13)]

D-air
Hits on: [18-19], [21-22], [24-25], [27-28], [30-31]
(removed the grounded hit into a separate attack list)

D-air, landing
Hits on: [1-3]

In addition to all those changed, I also added some "Miscellaneous" frame data (Dodges, Ledge Rolls, Trips, etc).

I will probably need one more update for the frame data, and it will be complete. I only need to check up on a few, minor things like double checking Final Cutter's 3 attacks, charged smash attacks, etc.

Lemme know what you think. :)

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I'm not sure whether or not to put this here, so hopefully this is the right place!

Recently, I've been playing around with Kirby's UTilt, and I found something pretty cool. It's very hard to pull off, but if you do, you can potentially take a stock off of your opponent.

If you're facing the opponent and hit with the tip of UTilt, you can footstool right after it. I'm not sure who it's guaranteed on, but I know that it is on Pikachu, Falco, and Ike. Because it's such a weak hit, it sends the opponent into this half-hitstun state where they can't air dodge or perform a move right after being hit. However, it only works between 0 - 20%. After that, it's impossible because they can react right out of it.

I thought it was pretty cool. You have to buffer a FF Nair to get a guaranteed jab lock, but if done correctly and at an end of the stage you can potentially jablock someone to ~65% and get a forced get-up Grounded Hammer (Or whatever you want. I like using the Hammer).

And on a much smaller note. Players with poor DI can be footstooled after FThrow->Uair->UTilt. Now, it's not always guaranteed. Sometimes you sweetspot UTilt, but most times you put them in that same half-hitstun state and can get a footstool if they DI'd incorrectly. That means you're starting the jab lock at ~23%, which means you can end it at ~78%, which means a Grounded Hammer is almost a guaranteed KO.

So far, I've only done it to Ike and Falco.

Oh, and facing the opponent backwards and using UTilt can also lead into a footstool for certain characters. Again, I have no idea how many it works on, but it does on Falco and Ike. And it only works between 0% - 10%.

I know it's a pretty improbable situation (landing UTilt while facing an opponent or getting that UTilt at low %), but hey, anything to help Kirby, right? XD I'd love to pull this off mid-match (preferably after taking my opponent's second stock).

I'm not very good at buffering the FF Nair, but I do consistently footstool. If you guys want a video or something, I'd be happy to get one up this week for you! :D

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not very good at buffering the FF Nair, but I do consistently footstool. If you guys want a video or something, I'd be happy to get one up this week for you! :D
Sure, go ahead, make a video! I sorta get this "feeling" when I see something that assures me it's a combo or a string, you could say it's from too much brawling or comboing attacks with faster characters (you gotta be fast at everything or else they momentum cancel or airdodge right through your attacks)... Maybe if I see it I'll be sure it's a sure thing, the utilt>footstool, and maybe by seeing it I'll think of ways to set it up.

If you can, post it in the Kirby Q&A thread. ;)

Triple R

Smash Lord
So since I am in the middle of no where this summer and have no one to play I've been just going into training mode and messing around. I've also noticed that Dair seems to combo into jab, which isn't on the list of strings on the first page. I know what you're thinking, why would you want to jab them after dair (frame disadvantage after jab and such, and better follow ups etc.)? Well usually you shouldn't lol. Like when you are on the ground. So I guess this is situationl. I've found it interesting to dair someone near the edge of a platform or the stage and then do a single jab when they start to fly away. I haven't done this in a real match yet, but I'm not sure someone would retaliate this since they need to recover/or are falling. The main advantage I see is that the jab stops their momentum, which is away from you, keeping them close to continue a string. On a battlefield platform I could do dair near platform edge -> jab -> running off FF uair to continue a string on snake/metaknight, most likely works on a lot of characters, i just usually test on those two lol. But like I said this is done in training mode, and I'm not sure how it would work on a real person. Not sure how DI would effect it either, especially since I usually don't know how people try to DI kirby's dair? I'm assuming away. Anyways, just throwing something out there. Hopefully it makes sense.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Good of you to be messing around, Triple R! But... The hitstun characters receive from our single jab is enough for them to be able to retaliate with a fast attack, so we can't really combo them... Might as well just jab3 them for the extra damage, cuz you won't have enough time to run and uair them, nor jump and bair.

Top Bottom