• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
Well Dourin, a good place to start is right where you are now: Subspace Emissary. It helps you get generally good with all the characters, especially in areas of mobility. After you finish, I would recommend fighting through classic and all-star mode with Kirby. Maybe fight some level 9 Kirbies and see what kind of strategies they use. Of course, before long, most human players will be better than a level 9, but that's a good place to start.
Glad to have you here at the Kirby Boards (yay! I'm not the newest anymore ;)

:kirby:
Haha, thanks, but i did most of that and now im interested in playing more people on wifi to get better.
Ive played a few people now, one or two kirby mains as well and im very impressed, i didnt expect people to be that good.
I did some training and i do have a few questions.
First off, whats the best thing to do after a forward throw, i read that it sets up for some things (?), so what should i do to use it.
Also, i see people doing short hops a lot, but i cant do them consistently. Whats a good way to practice it with the wiimote?
This leads to my next question, which is the easiest controller to use, because i do have an old gamecube controller, but im used to the wiiremote now.
Finally, what is the best moment to use the hammer, brick and sucking attack?

MangoAndPals

Smash Cadet
Haha, thanks, but i did most of that and now im interested in playing more people on wifi to get better.
Ive played a few people now, one or two kirby mains as well and im very impressed, i didnt expect people to be that good.
I did some training and i do have a few questions.
First off, whats the best thing to do after a forward throw, i read that it sets up for some things (?), so what should i do to use it.
Also, i see people doing short hops a lot, but i cant do them consistently. Whats a good way to practice it with the wiimote?
This leads to my next question, which is the easiest controller to use, because i do have an old gamecube controller, but im used to the wiiremote now.
Finally, what is the best moment to use the hammer, brick and sucking attack?
Fthrow >u-air > Dthrow > u-tilt > u/b-air.

That's would i would do.

ALso, use gc, as the c-stick makes aerials kinda easier.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How do you deal with a G&W/MK ledge-camping?
To a G&W: Grab the ledge, then do a ledgedropped invincible bair if you have time. If not, then just hold until your invincibility frames are about to run out, then use a slow getup. As long as G&W misses the sweeyspot we're good.

To an MK: We can either do a down-angled fsmash to get him at his vulnerable moments, we can dtilt/down-angled ftilt to try and punish jumps mistakes (him jumping too high), or we can run in with a shield and see what they do, then bait the same reaction again. If we're really cocky, we can just jump out, bait them into trying to gimp us, then hit them out of there/do whatever the situation calls for... Our many jumps will help us survive the gimping scenario, and so will our floatiness + sideB stalling

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really sure whether this goes in the 1P forum, the Kirby forum, or the Kirby Q&A, so I figured this is a good place to start: What are some tips specifically for playing Kirby in SSE? This includes good moves to use on different enemies, Boss tips, and, of course, what stickers to use. Thanks!

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Fair/Bair spam.

It works wonderfully in Subspace. Fsmash and Hammers are also helpful, but those two moves are just... Godly in Subspace.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Utilt is also crazy in SSE. Opponents don't have shields, they don't grab, and they can't do anything until they touch the floor, so we can actually lock them in utilts until they die. :D

Bair/fair/fsmash/ftilt/utilt are pretty much all the moves you would want to use.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Question. How can i be less predictable with Kirby? I got beat pretty badly by Hilt's Olimar yesterday (it was a 3-2 in winners finals, then 3-0 in grand finals) probably because of how predictable my kirby is. I posted some videos in the Video Archive, and any tips would be great! thanks!

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Awesome...I've also found that his Dair is useful for racking up damage, and combos well on harder difficulties. How about stickers? I usually use a massive foot+, and also a launch resistance and other miscellaneous stickers. What would you guys use?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
@Joey: Well, Kirby's a character who it's easy to be predictable with in many ways. How do you think you're being predictable- in the air, the ground, approaching, etc?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Question. How can i be less predictable with Kirby? I got beat pretty badly by Hilt's Olimar yesterday (it was a 3-2 in winners finals, then 3-0 in grand finals) probably because of how predictable my kirby is. I posted some videos in the Video Archive, and any tips would be great! thanks!
I'll check your videos out ASAP. 2nd place, and got videos of you vs the guy you lost against? Perfect.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Right now i got videos of the guy that got 3rd, XeroXen. One of the TO's should be loading up the grand finals videos any time now, unless he just recorded losers finals for whatever reason >_>. But thank you so much!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Right now i got videos of the guy that got 3rd, XeroXen. One of the TO's should be loading up the grand finals videos any time now, unless he just recorded losers finals for whatever reason >_>. But thank you so much!
oh snap. Mario getting third ftw. I'll have to watch these videos

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To be fair, Mario did get 3rd, but there were 3 Marios there and only 13 people :p

That being said, it's ****'n Mario!

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I saw the Mario videos, and assuming you played generally the same in the Mario and Olimar matches, I can see what your problem is.

Every time you want to approach, you jump up two or three times into the air and lazily float toward them. Because Kirby is so floaty and has D-air and B-air, this works, but it's pretty much a bad idea. Not only does it limit your approach options to only aerials, it gives your opponent an enormous number of opportunities to punish you. (Am I right in assuming you got U-smashed a LOT in the Olimar matches?) If you want to mix up your approaches, you're going to have to start by staying on the ground, because that's where your options are. Down there, addition to SHing aerials (Which is still a very nice approach), you can Ftilt, Dtilt, grab, Dash attack, whatever. Work on staying low and keeping your options open until you've launched your opponent skyward and jump off to chase him.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
staying low.... is TERRIBLE against Olimar. Olimar has way more options to punish you with if you tilt, try to grab, or dash attack. if you try these at all, your going to get grabbed. You have to space and bait until they try to punish you with something like usmash, and beat them up for it. Against Olimar, if you are on the ground at all, you are going to get grab combo'd in some way. Hilt likes to d-throw -> fair -> follow up from that. Kirby against Olimar and Diddy (two hardest matches that day by far.) are just camp and punish them for making mistakes. who ever makes the mistakes first loses, and if you stay on the ground, you're going to get hurt. Also note that both Count (midwest Diddy Kong) and Hilt (midwest Olimar) said i played the matchup better then or equal to Y.b.M. did against them sooo i must be doing SOMETHING right haha. I do need to work on that stuff against characters that won't **** my face on the ground though. Thanks for the advice ^_^.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Staying on the ground vs Olimar, even though it opens you up to his options, is still a lot better than constantly approaching in the air. when you're coming down on Olimar, your only options are to D-air, airdodge into the ground, or rejump. In any of these three cases, he'll probably just put his shield up and grab you as soon as you come down (and eventually, you'll have to.) Meanwhile, while you're helplessly floating up there, he can Usmash, Pikmin throw, or even tether you. Kirby can't pull the same kind of bait-and-punish crap in the air as Jigglypuff; he's just too slow in the air, and a good opponent will just wait until you come down and grab you. As far as Kirby having no options on the ground...if you meet an Olimar who gets spammy with his grabs, just spotdodge and smash him. Alternatively, you can just RAR B-air him, avoiding his grab and probably his smashes.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I've noticed there's been a spark of Olimar v. Kirbys everywhere. I live in Austin and when we have our smashfests SkyPiratesomething, an olimar main, gives me the hardest time. It's just impossible to approach Olimar.

I was getting ***** staying low and mixing up my approach through SH-, but when I started coming from above it was a lot easier. My approach (towards the end of the night) was to come from above and mix up between d-air (in a way that I landed behind him/ opposite of the way he was facing) > uptilt or landing on either side and grabbing him while he shielded.

I use to live in the midwest, my last tournament up there was Kakuna Matata, I think I got 17th? And the two times I lost were to Hilt- Olimar main, and ...I think I lost to Joey -points@ fellow Kirby-. I remember the match with Hilt was just an epic fail. I didn't know what to do to approach and since then I've had a mental block against Olimar.

There should be a re-examination of that match up x_x; or some videos (or A video) of that match-up played properly..?

Edit: Oh, and all B-airing got me, was a nice fat 60% damage before I realized it wasn't working out.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I haven't been playing any good Olimars..I basically just Bair approach. It seems to me that approaching like that would just get you instantly grabbed, but I don't have that much experience on this MU.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I've noticed there's been a spark of Olimar v. Kirbys everywhere. I live in Austin and when we have our smashfests SkyPiratesomething, an olimar main, gives me the hardest time. It's just impossible to approach Olimar.

I was getting ***** staying low and mixing up my approach through SH-, but when I started coming from above it was a lot easier. My approach (towards the end of the night) was to come from above and mix up between d-air (in a way that I landed behind him/ opposite of the way he was facing) > uptilt or landing on either side and grabbing him while he shielded.

I use to live in the midwest, my last tournament up there was Kakuna Matata, I think I got 17th? And the two times I lost were to Hilt- Olimar main, and ...I think I lost to Joey -points@ fellow Kirby-. I remember the match with Hilt was just an epic fail. I didn't know what to do to approach and since then I've had a mental block against Olimar.

There should be a re-examination of that match up x_x; or some videos (or A video) of that match-up played properly..?

Edit: Oh, and all B-airing got me, was a nice fat 60% damage before I realized it wasn't working out.
We'll re-examine some of the matchups soon enough, don't worry. We were concentrating on ratios instead of how to play the characters, as many readers said and helped me realize. Some MUs have already been asked to be re-started, so we'll do Olimar after them.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
1. How should i pratice learning kirbys moves and ablites pros and cons ect?
2. How should i try and applay this to fighting?
3. What else should i do to become a very good kirby player?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
1. How should i pratice learning kirbys moves and ablites pros and cons ect?
2. How should i try and applay this to fighting?
3. What else should i do to become a very good kirby player?
Read "Kirby's Amazing Guide" and the way should be clear. *does this nice little pose*

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Hey can someone make guide for how to use kirby hats effectly or in combos?? Also how can i get people to rate me or tell me what i should do better?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually, we do have a "RATE MY KIRBY" thread. It's stickied and shouldn't be hard to find.

Top Bottom