• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
#1 Port? I thought it was #4 you wanted. Or is that Snake?
Which brings up my question: When you play online, if both people have their controllers in the the same port, what happens?

Oh, and just for lulz, I wombo-combo's a Diddy out of a f-air combo by juggling him all the way to the left blastzone. Needless to say, he rage-quitted.

:088:

Then i forgot to save the replay

:089:

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
Nah, I don't mean critique your Kirby, I mean save a replay (whenever you get the chance) or two, and post em here so I can see what other options you could've done, or what would be the BEST options to do instead of the good options... And stuff.
☠
You got it, I'll make sure to save a replay next time I fight him.
☠

Oho! I think I can help. Against diddies I usually play as aggressively as I can so what they don't pull out bananas. If a diddy pulls out a banana, I'd try to grab it before he can, and then proceed to throw it away from them.

Note that I didn't say to throw them off the stage. What you need to do, and what I'd recommend to most characters playing against a diddy, is to throw them to where diddy either can't access it or must spend time trying to get it.

This includes the opposite side of FD, smashville's moving platform, and support ghosts. Any difficult-to-access platform works. Basically, if the diddy has to double-jump of cover a lot of ground to reach the banana, that's good. Also, you should try to get yourself in between diddy and the banana whenever possible.

This will force the diddy to go to some lengths to get the banana back, pull out another one if he can (which, if you're close to him, can be caught before he can do a thing about it), or just fight without bananas. Oftentimes you can hit a diddy a few times as he tries to reach his lost banana; if you're good, you can get him off the stage or at least continue to keep him away from his banana.

Throwing it at him is not a very good idea. He can simply re-catch it, or dash attack to catch it and hit you in the process. I'll wager that the diddy player will know how to use bananas much better than you, too. The only instance where I'd say "throw it at him" is if the diddy's offstage, where it could potentially mess up his recovery and where he can't pull bananas back out.

Though you can always catch a banana diddy pulls out before he can react, make sure you catch it quickly (while it's in the air); he'll peg you with something if you're too slow.

Um... basically, stay close to him and don't go high into the air too much; that gives him tons of time to pull naners out and get ready to punish your landing.

Be ever vigilant; the matchup takes time to learn, but once you learn a few things about how diddy plays, you'll be able to play against diddies competently with almost any character.
☠
I remember that I thought about catching the bananas as he pulled them out -while they were still in the air- a couple of times during the match, but I always disregarded it because I thought he'd just pummel me with a Bair or something. Throwing them out of his reach is a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of that one. Thanks for your help!
☠

Yes. Sometimes you can pull off the jab when you land on the ground while in the middle of D-Air, but it's much better if you land after your D-Air is finished, (of course there's a chance that you are able to lay damage on them, but your opponent can able to grab you anyways, I forgot the name of how/why that happens).
☠
Can it come out before my opponent tries to shield grab me? (If the D-air gets canceled on the ground and my opponent is shielding)
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
Can it come out before my opponent tries to shield grab me? (If the D-air gets canceled on the ground and my opponent is shielding)
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
Nope, some characters have 6-frame grabs, and Kirby's dair doesn't autocancel, so they will still grab you out of it. I strongly suggest grabbing if they shield it and hope you grab em first/roll away, or ftilting them if they don't shield it so you can knock em away from you where they can't retaliate.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If they shield your dair IMO your first option should be to try to get behind them by DI'ing the dair. If you can't make it behind them then you hope your jabs come out before they grab.

Anyone else tech chase with dairs? I've been doing it since brawl came out, never seen anyone else do it though.

Also Pink Murder I just posted a video of my Kirby vs Diddy in the rating thread. Maybe it'll help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gox777#p/u/233/sk3gHtxGMYk

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
SheerMadness, you shouldn't randomly dair like that. It's extremely risky, and doesn't give you a good reward if you land it. It's only techchasing it it always trips opponents or puts them in a position where their only options are wakeup options (get-up attacks/rolls/stationary get-up), and our dair doesn't give us that pleasure. D:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It rarely ever gets me punished, if it did I definitely wouldn't do it haha. But like I said you have to DI the dair behind them so they can't punish you if they shield all of the dair. Works best against short or fat characters.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nope, no hitbubble info of Kirby yet. The person who volunteered to do Kirby's hitbubbbles had some technical difficulties, and his work has been delayed for quite a bit... But they'll be up sooner or later. We're all patient with that, cuz we know we're gonna get it, so yeah, no need for us to rush him. :D

And Kirby on FD? I guess he's OK there. I would say 'neutral', there's nothing special we can do here, except maybe inhale people and spit them out under the stage, where they're practically assured death and we come back safely.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
guys I hacked my Wii.

>.>

Haven't done too much. Tried a few Kirby/MK (for my little brother) textures... Panda Kirby is so freaking cute. I got Brawl+. I just hacked some music into FD.

It's pretty awesome.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ok, round 2 for my stage thread. How does Kirby do on Final destination? good - neutral - bad?
This post made me realize I should get my stage thread going. Kirby does a little above neutral since he doesn't have to worry about the lip of the stage most of the time. But Kirby doesn't have any projectiles to be spammy campy happy to make this one of his best stages, (unless you copy Falco).

Veggi

Smash Champion
Who is the best Kirby player at the moment? I lost track of who it was and one of my friends is trying to learn how to play Kirby. I need to reccommend someone to watch to him. Is the best Kirby still Chu Dat?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Oh, you did not just ask that question.

:[

The best Kirby is ____________

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Hi Kirbies.

I use to main

or at least use kirby a lot. [64, melee, and kinda brawl <3]

but now not as much.

buuuut

I am finding a boon with him in teams lately.

I usually play teams with a lucario.

What should I do besides the whole bair,grab, and fsmash stuff?

I just need a general idea of where to go and what to do really.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I have a question

Is there any hitbubble data on kirby yet?
Nope, no hitbubble info of Kirby yet. The person who volunteered to do Kirby's hitbubbbles had some technical difficulties, and his work has been delayed for quite a bit... But they'll be up sooner or later. We're all patient with that, cuz we know we're gonna get it, so yeah, no need for us to rush him. :D

And Kirby on FD? I guess he's OK there. I would say 'neutral', there's nothing special we can do here, except maybe inhale people and spit them out under the stage, where they're practically assured death and we come back safely.

I could actually work on the hitbubble data right now if you give me a place to start at. I'm actually working on a video project right now and I could make a video project of that later on as well. Just let me know what yall are looking for in that analysis and ill work on it right away.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
To tech, you hit the shield button the moment you're going to hit the floor, right before that blue blast appears. The timing is char dependent, just go to training mode and you should get it in a few minutes.

To tech in place, just tech normally. To tech roll, hold either side while teching. When teching G&W d-throw, mix-up, don't be predictable.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Dictionary.com definition:

tech
  /tɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tek] Show IPA ,Informal.
Use Tech in a Sentence
See web results for Tech
See images of Tech
–adjective
1. technical: The engineers sat together exchanging tech talk.
–noun
2. a technician: He's a tech for a film crew.
3. technology: She has a good grasp of computer tech.
Origin:
by shortening

Not exactly self-explanatory in this situation, so can you please explain what the smash defintion of "tech" is, because you said it 6 times in that last post, and substituting "technique" for it doesn't make it any easier to understand...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, the first sentence explained what it was though... Teching is hitting the shield button right before you hit the ground or a wall. It instantly makes you get up or roll, depending on whether or not you were holding a direction.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
who is a great character to second as to take care of all of kirbys bad matchups

Like :gw: takes care of :popo:'s bad matchups

who takes care of most of kirbys bad matchups

And dont say MK lol

id appreciate it if you listed 1 S tier, and 1 non S tier.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
The Pound 4 results thread has YMB and Chudat both coming 1st in 1st round pools, and 2nd in 2nd round pools.

EDIT: Copy paste from the results thread...

1st Round Singles Pools

Pool 3:

1st Y.B.M.
2nd Kool Aid
3rd jtails
Eliminated: K9, Arms, redShadow

Pool 28:

1st Chudat
2nd Hyro
3rd Smash 64
Eliminated: Fraud, Nova, Alex Strife

Round 2 Singles Pools

Pool 4

1st MalcolmM
2nd ChuDat
3rd Judge
Eliminated: Snakeee, Keitaro, Seagull

Pool 11

1st Mew2King
2nd Y.B.M.
3rd Sanoscy
Eliminated: BMX, Fonz, Ragnar0k

Bracket

R1

ChuDat vs Xzax, winner vs DEHF

Y.M.B. vs Bloodcross, winner vs ADHD

Doubles Bracket

R1

Chu + Candy bye, vs winner of Poltergust + ? and Mattix + oh.

Y.M.B + Alpha Zealot bye

R2

Y.M.B + Alpha Zealot beat Reno + HBK

R3

Y.M.B + Alpha Zealot vs Seibrik + GDX

Tiersie

Smash Ace
They're afraid of our mad 1337 skillz, and are afraid that if they let us play in tourneys, we'll make the MK's and Snakes look bad, which they already pay the tourney runners for sponsorship.
I think there a sufficient amount of Kirbies playing tournament though.

Asdioh
Chudat
Fromundaman
Kewwky
Ladybug
Ninja Kirby Nick
Me (Tiersie)
Viper if he mans up.
Y.b.M

And MogX and some other who I personally don't know but I hear they're good.

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman

Asdioh
Chudat
Fromundaman
Kewwky
Ladybug
Ninja Kirby Nick
Me (Tiersie)
Viper if he mans up.
Y.b.M

Lol I play in tourneys xD I just place don't high x)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

Asdioh
Chudat
Fromundaman
Kewwky
Ladybug
Ninja Kirby Nick
Me (Tiersie)
Viper if he gets a job or wins the lottery.
Y.b.M

Fixed for truth, now on to my second year of no job go, go, go, go, go! I might have a chance this year before spring. =P

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Asdioh
Chudat
Fromundaman
Kewwky
Ladybug
Ninja Kirby Nick
Me (Tiersie)
Viper if he mans up.
Y.b.M

Allied, Keist and MogX too, as well as some other unknown ones.

Also, I don't compete in tournaments; I just lose XD

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ive been using kirby for a second as a while now.... I'm just wondering..... what is the most safe way to go about a match? I like bair, but i don't like weakening it's knockback. I like dair, but I don't like shields. I like jab, but the vulcan jab is very difficult to avoid using (I prefer just the first two hits before vulcan jab so i can either dtilt, utilt, grab, bair, etc, but it's unreliable because of how near perfect you need to be). I like nair for landing, but it also falls prey to shields. I like uair a lot.... I like fthrow for early percents, but it doesn't combo long. I like dthrow, but it doesn't directly combo into a lot (utilt only earlier).....

Is it safest just to bair spam/space or is there a better tactic to safely defending and/or approaching?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Ive been using kirby for a second as a while now.... I'm just wondering..... what is the most safe way to go about a match? I like bair, but i don't like weakening it's knockback. I like dair, but I don't like shields. I like jab, but the vulcan jab is very difficult to avoid using (I prefer just the first two hits before vulcan jab so i can either dtilt, utilt, grab, bair, etc, but it's unreliable because of how near perfect you need to be). I like nair for landing, but it also falls prey to shields. I like uair a lot.... I like fthrow for early percents, but it doesn't combo long. I like dthrow, but it doesn't directly combo into a lot (utilt only earlier).....

Is it safest just to bair spam/space or is there a better tactic to safely defending and/or approaching?
Usually what I see is that people just spam Bair and then just get punished. I would rather just sit there and read em.

fragbait

Smash Master

Safest move is to go Meta Knight.

Top Bottom