• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Safest move is to go Meta Knight.
I see a new Brawl pro in the making right here. ^^^

You COULD approach with all of Kirby's options... Nair and Dair are the worst approaches out of his A moves, so you should save them for situational scenarios (like cancelling lag with nair, gimping/catching them offguard with dair). Bair, ftilt, shieldgrab, fair, dtilt, utilt, dash attack, uair, jab, dair and nair, in order of best approach option to worst out of all of Kirby's "A" moves.

Kirby's specials are all quite situational, so going through a fight without using them once shouldn't feel weird to anyone. His sideBs (both ground and aerial) are quite situational, so throwing them out expecting opponents to accidentally run into them isn't a viable approach, it literally is seen a mile away and punished at the highest levels of play. DownB is situational as well, used specifically for punishing opponents who put themselves in vulnerable positions (I use it when I predict someone's gonna try and uair me, or when an opponent is getting up from the ledge with any of the options... If the rick misses, once I turn back, I have enough time to bair and get them away from me before they can do anything). UpB shouldn't be used onstage, even if it does hit your friends' characters due to how telegraphed the shockwave is, it's too easily powershielded... Better to just use it near the ledge or from very far away and try to frametrap them while they're in some sort of animation...

And well, his smashes are punishing moves since they can be seen coming, but due to their long-lasting hitboxes, are great for frametraps or killing opponents off without having to miss them when they're most vulnerable. Dsmash punishes landing opponents, even if they're trying to mindgame their landing trajectory to be behind you or in front of you, hoping that you miss your fsmash without realizing that our dsmash is a very decent vertical killer (and has an invisible disjoint on Kirby's head, I use it, and I saw Chudat use it). Usmash has good vertical range, so it can go through platforms that are low enough. the knockback it causes on the opponents' shield if it misses is enough gor you to finish your animation with no problem at all, unless your usmash pushed them off the platform. Kirby's up-angled fsmash is great for piercing through opponents' approaches and killing earlier than a normal-angled fsmash, it HAS to be implemented in every single irby's normal playstyle! Just hold up while hitting the cstick left or right, and voila, an up-angled fsmash! And lastly, Kirby's down-angled fsmash, although most situational out of all of his smashes, is the best option for pressuring recovering opponents who try to grab the ledge from stage-level or slightly lower (this includes MK's sideB, down-angled fsmash breaks it), and sends them on an almot-completely horizontal trajectory, great for setting up gimps.

If you want a quick analysis of any of Kirby's tilts and aerials, ask away and I'll do it. Anything to help other Kirby mains! :bee:

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
You COULD approach with all of Kirby's options... Nair and Dair are the worst approaches out of his A moves, so you should save them for situational scenarios (like cancelling lag with nair, gimping/catching them offguard with dair).
Canceling lag with N-air?? That has to be the one of the laggiest (if not THE laggiest) aerials in the friggin' game, heck I've even fallen to my death from accidentally using it over the side of the stage. Kinda a dumb idea. Like dousing a fire with lamp oil. Sure, the first fire's technically out, but now you've got a bigger one!

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Kewkk? Do you stutter step your fsmashes? I've tried it and the extra range it gives really can be quite nice.

Also when do you use ftilts? I use them occasionally but not nearly enough if I hear how in love you are with it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kewkk? Do you stutter step your fsmashes? I've tried it and the extra range it gives really can be quite nice.
By stutter stepping you mean...?

Yeaaa I might not know one or two SWF technicalities, but remember that it doesn't mean that I don't apply them! For all I know I've been stutter stepping without knowing it has a word. :bee:

Also when do you use ftilts? I use them occasionally but not nearly enough if I hear how in love you are with it.
I use ftilt whenever my opponent is out of range for many of my attacks, and when I just want to get out of their maximum attack range. If I have doubts whether or not my grab will reach or if I'll be able to run awa fast enough, or even if I feel like spot-dodging will get me punished, I throw out an ftilt. Unlike a reverse utilt, it has better knockback and sends them far away enough for you to feel completely safe again and regain your composure, while still dealing damage to them. It has great range for a tilt (rivaling that of Snake's ftilt), and is also one of his faster lacking-in-afterlag moves so we can use it safely with little to no risk as long as we don't just throw it out there randomly. It can beat shield pressure too (in a sense) since it's good for an OoS move if someone's in front of you spacing a goot pressure move: just walk and ftilt, bam they got punished and you're in a safe position, MUCH safer than whiffing a grab. It also has very good shieldstun knockback which, with the range it has, is great for making opponents whiff grabs (unless they're called DDD, in any case after you ftilt their shield gain some space between you two so you don't get punished for being too predictable).

I could go on and on, but usually after a match I don't pay attention to when I used an attack, why, or in what situation. So, I can just tell you what I think of the attack, and when I KNOW I will use it; a quick summary off the top of my head.

Answers one question raises so many others...

Like how do you cancel landing lag with an aerial attack? makes no sense to me whatsoever
Yeah, my bad, I wasn't clear enough with the 'lag' thing... Yep, landing lag indeed. What landing lag might you ask? Phantom lag is the only lag Kirby has that I would use nair for. What's phantom lag, you ask? If you use side B or downB on the floor (or high up) and their whole animations end before you touch the floor, if you just land normally you will receive half a seconds' worth of landing lag where you'll be completely open to anything your opponent might desire to do to you... I use nair so that when I'm supposed to land with this 'phantom lag', instead of suffering the full half-a-second thing, I only suffer nair's short landing lag animation, practically "cancelling the landing lag" Kirby might get.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Yeah, my bad, I wasn't clear enough with the 'lag' thing... Yep, landing lag indeed. What landing lag might you ask? Phantom lag is the only lag Kirby has that I would use nair for. What's phantom lag, you ask? If you use side B or downB on the floor (or high up) and their whole animations end before you touch the floor, if you just land normally you will receive half a seconds' worth of landing lag where you'll be completely open to anything your opponent might desire to do to you... I use nair so that when I'm supposed to land with this 'phantom lag', instead of suffering the full half-a-second thing, I only suffer nair's short landing lag animation, practically "cancelling the landing lag" Kirby might get.
thanks, kewkk, you's a pro with this "explaining" stuff

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I think there a sufficient amount of Kirbies playing tournament though.

Asdioh
Chudat
Fromundaman
Kewwky
Ladybug
Ninja Kirby Nick
Me (Tiersie)
Viper if he mans up.
Y.b.M

And MogX and some other who I personally don't know but I hear they're good.
I also play in tournament, and in my opinion, I don't do too bad haha. Also, question.

How usefull is Uair in your own opinion? I personally think it's great, but I want to know what the other kirby mains think about it too, because if I overuse it and it is hurting me, then I kind of want to stop it haha.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I strangely find myself doing falling uairs all the time, even though I don't think it's as safe as spacing a bair. It think it's flashy to do falling uairs, and people seem to fall for it half the time. In the beginning of the match i tend to be really aggressive and chase people into the air with it, like if a snake tries to recover high I go after them with uair. These probably aren't the safest options obviously, it's just what i do.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I also play in tournament, and in my opinion, I don't do too bad haha. Also, question.

How usefull is Uair in your own opinion? I personally think it's great, but I want to know what the other kirby mains think about it too, because if I overuse it and it is hurting me, then I kind of want to stop it haha.
Uair is amazing. It has amazing verticle range, disjoincted range at that. You can outrange MK's Dair with Uair!

Also, it can be useful for comboing near the ground, and everyone knows how good it is as a Fthrow follow-up. I'd say it's our 2nd best aerial IMO.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
*nb4domoremoves* That would depend what you constantly do when playing Kirby. Jumping too much? Spamming B-Air, (which is a very common case for most Kirby mains)? Trying to grab and miss a lot, etc.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Looks like you held your shield too long and got poked. Your arm was exposed at 1:35, for example.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Looks like you held your shield too long and got poked. Your arm was exposed at 1:35, for example.
wow so tallman was right he mentioned something about Kirby's arm sticking out. Thanks.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Anyone ever run into a Final cutter glitch that cancels the middle animation?

I was playing earlier today and i did final cutter just off stage of halberd or w/e (during the part with the crane and cannons), right below the lip of the stage (i think), and i had no real vertical movement and went straight into the landing animation on stage. Its hard to really explain what happened, because it was so fast. Basically it was the first few frames and last few frames, and was done in like a split second.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Anyone ever run into a Final cutter glitch that cancels the middle animation?

I was playing earlier today and i did final cutter just off stage of halberd or w/e (during the part with the crane and cannons), right below the lip of the stage (i think), and i had no real vertical movement and went straight into the landing animation on stage. Its hard to really explain what happened, because it was so fast. Basically it was the first few frames and last few frames, and was done in like a split second.
Yep, we have run into this glitch as well. Here's our quick video of it (based off the one I brought to the Kirby boards before), in bad quality (hey, I don't have a capture card), if you wanna relive the moment.

Now, if we can do it consistently? Nope. We tried, it's too hard. :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Too hard is a really bad reason not to do something though, and is part of why a lot of characters' metagames are stagnating.

The fact that no one really bothered to test it didn't help either.

I should go test this sometime... when I get time. I have a few other things I need to test 1st though.

Also, it's easy to do consistently on some stages, like certain parts of Cruise, Brinstar, and PS1.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Too hard is a really bad reason not to do something though, and is part of why a lot of characters' metagames are stagnating.

The fact that no one really bothered to test it didn't help either.

I should go test this sometime... when I get time. I have a few other things I need to test 1st though.

Also, it's easy to do consistently on some stages, like certain parts of Cruise, Brinstar, and PS1.
I did indeed try it, I tested it for a good amount of time. We have to move at a specific speed, from a specific location from a specific height under the stage. Too many specifics to really be applicable... Like our sideB jump renewal thing, practicing something that has a very large margin of error isn't really worth it.

MangoAndPals

Smash Cadet
I have a question.

I am a complete stranger to high level Smash play, as I have never had a proper game. So, who should I train on?

People usually say "Train on people you have trouble with"

The problem is, I DONT KNOW. I HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYONE.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, you should try and go for the top tiers/high tiers. They're imperative if you want to get anywhere at any sort of tourney you might decide on entering (online or offline). Lower tiers are important too, but the top/high tiers are the ones you should really concentrate on.

You should also concentrate on Kirby's tougher match-ups (Olimar, MK, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucario, ZSS, G&W, Marth). Mind you, I didn't say 'unwinnable matchups' or '**** matchups', just tougher. The easier matchups shouldn't be much of a problem if you have a very good character dominance and have theorized enough/watched enough videos/read enough MU discussions/found enough data on them and learned it.

I would suggest, since you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, to get a good internet connection and go play WiFi at http://www.AllIsBrawl.com/ since SmashBoards concentrates on offline gaming while AiB concentrates on online gaming. Still, you should frequent both boards at an equal rate so you have access to all of the information you may need, be it character-specific, universal, or simply what's new in the competitive scene (new top players, new rules, new debates...).

MangoAndPals

Smash Cadet
Well, you should try and go for the top tiers/high tiers. They're imperative if you want to get anywhere at any sort of tourney you might decide on entering (online or offline). Lower tiers are important too, but the top/high tiers are the ones you should really concentrate on.

You should also concentrate on Kirby's tougher match-ups (Olimar, MK, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucario, ZSS, G&W, Marth). Mind you, I didn't say 'unwinnable matchups' or '**** matchups', just tougher. The easier matchups shouldn't be much of a problem if you have a very good character dominance and have theorized enough/watched enough videos/read enough MU discussions/found enough data on them and learned it.

I would suggest, since you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, to get a good internet connection and go play WiFi at http://www.AllIsBrawl.com/ since SmashBoards concentrates on offline gaming while AiB concentrates on online gaming. Still, you should frequent both boards at an equal rate so you have access to all of the information you may need, be it character-specific, universal, or simply what's new in the competitive scene (new top players, new rules, new debates...).
o-o

kthx

I have a second problem: this time with tilts. The problem is my control stick is kinda sensitive, so when i try to use a u/d-tilt, it smashes and when i try to f-tilt, it dash attacks (or sometimes smashes). How do i use tilts better?

(NOTE: i can usu. use f-tilts when i walk, but i get beat up in the end.)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Oh okay thx for the video. I cant really see it as being too useful since it doesnt do much damage, knock back, or combo potential.

Either way, everyone was like, WTF when it happened.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Oh okay thx for the video. I cant really see it as being too useful since it doesnt do much damage, knock back, or combo potential.
That's what I was thinking, even if we go through all the trouble of perfecting this thing, the Final Cutter shockwave only does what, 8 damage? High risk, low reward, just like playing Kirby compared to playing MK is a high risk, low reward option. >_>

At least, it's high risk, low reward in terms of money earned at tournaments...if you don't care about winning money, and play Kirby because he's ****ing cooler and more styling than MK, like I do, then don't worry :bee:

Good job Kewkky for helping the people in this thread and stuff.

I need to devise some kind of "training method" for myself to suck less. I lose in tourneys to the same characters and players, and I find it hard to improve, so I need to figure out SOMETHING T_T

Other than switching mains, which I've been tempted to do before, but the biggest thing stopping me other than my love of Kirby is that I hate all the top tiers and the characters I love playing other than Kirby I would probably do worse with :/

Any ideas, guyz? I pretty much only have wifi to use so I thought of playing good players and/or ladder matches on AiB and limiting myself to certain moves to absolutely master them the best I can, for example do almost nothing but Bair in one match, and Fair in another, etc. I realize Bair's a good move but I still feel limited using it so I should find a way to make it work for me better than it has until now...

/ranting

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Ask other kirbys that have played the character and player how they dealt with it. It really can help. Also, why would you limit yourself to few moves? i think kirby's main ability is reading and punishing, along with spacing. limiting yourself to certain moves won't help you punish better or anything, and it can ruin your game if you get too used to it. thats just IMO though.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Asdioh, I think I might be able to help. NinjaLink has said that the 4 things that determine who wins a match are character, stage, technical skill and adaptability (I cut down on the non-relevant backstory stuff). So work on your technical skill (knowledge of the game, knowledge of matchups, ability to space, cg, etc.), learn what stages are good for what (I'm pretty sure you already know them) and work on your adaptability (ability to quickly change playstyles, reading ability, etc.). Analyze some of your matches and the way you play and figure out which one of these you need most practice with, then practice a lot.

And, if you're losing a ton, I find switching to red kirby (chu mode) gives me a psychological boost and I start winning because I feel beast. No joke.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeep, Joey (whoever he/she was before o_o) has it right. Kirby's a GREAT bait-and-punishment character, but just an "OK" offensive character. ChuDat's kirby is considered to be the best by the people who don't consider YbM the best, and everyone practically calls ChuDat a "walking mindgame" wherever I read. How did he get so good with Kirby? Well, my guess would be that he's been outsmarting opponents instead of trying to outplay them, and it drives them crazy during a match. I lol whenever I see a ChuDat match because great players start playing all awkward trying to confuse him, but he keeps on paying close attention to what they do and making them do stuff they shouldn't be doing, then punishing with Kirby's powerful options.

So, Asdioh, you COULD concentrate on playing more "campy" with Kirby for a while, pay close attention to everything your opponent does... For example, if your Marth opponent always rising fair>falling fair>DB you, then make him fair you by stepping into his maximum range, then get ready for that DB and shieldgrab between the 3rd/4th hits. If a Snake opponent always grenade grabs you when he's holding a grenade, then make him run at you with a grenade in hand, and go for dtilts... Reading an opponent is extremely important to baiting, and how you punish is also important. Why go for jab/ftilt/utilt, when you can shieldgrab>pummel>dthrow>utilt>(...)? Why go for a shieldgrab if you can kill with a dsmash? Why risk a dsmash if you can pressure them with a faster jab/ftilt/utilt? It's all part of playing it as smart as possible... And in the end, you'll enjoy playing as Kirby even more when people compliment you over how crazy hard it suddenly became beating you.

You could always try playing some faster characters to get your brain juices flowing, then switch to Kirby. I always warm up with ZSS before tourneys because she's fast and takes some time to warm up. My fingers, eyes and brain aren't at their full potential if I just pick up Kirby and play. In PR, the friendlies we play before tourneys are usually teams, because we're always paying attention to 3 other players instead of 1 (2 opponents and your ally instead of just 1 opponent), lots of thoughts and plans and ideas and quick thinking goes on during teams. After practicing a couple of matches, we play some singles and then we go register. Since we've been keeping ourselves warmed up with fast matches, when everything dumbs down to a slower speed (1v1), our eyes, brains and fingers keep up with everything our opponents try to outplay us with. I LOVE playing as ZSS after warming up because I feel super fast, and am always spacing, juggling, catching items and watching my opponents at the same time. If I throw an attack, I plan ahead and think of what i want to do after it hits, then act on it if I see it hits immediately... It's all part of playing faster, before playing slower.

Hope it helps, man.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well, my guess would be that he's been outsmarting opponents instead of trying to outplay them, and it drives them crazy during a match. I lol whenever I see a ChuDat match because great players start playing all awkward trying to confuse him, but he keeps on paying close attention to what they do and making them do stuff they shouldn't be doing, then punishing with Kirby's powerful options.
Yeah, this is what I normally do, and what I try to do, but when I get into an important match I seem to freeze up and go on autopilot, and halfway through the tournament, if I've done poorly, I just find it hard to care and don't play as well as I should :/

I dunno... I need to concentrate more on what my opponent is doing and at the same time make sure I'm not doing stupid predictable stuff.

thanks guise

Number 28

Smash Cadet
Hay guys Kirby double jumps higher when you use a Falcon Punch immediatly after the double jump. It's a big difference. Kirby's quite good at aerial pauwnching.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I did indeed try it, I tested it for a good amount of time. We have to move at a specific speed, from a specific location from a specific height under the stage. Too many specifics to really be applicable... Like our sideB jump renewal thing, practicing something that has a very large margin of error isn't really worth it.
Ah... I stand corrected then.
I'm just used to other character boards dismissing stuff because it's hard to do (Originally happened with chain jacketing, which Shieks are apparently now finally using, Mario's cape Teleport, MK's Halberd glitch, etc.), and I remembered our discussion of that glitch having followed the same course.

You could always try playing some faster characters to get your brain juices flowing, then switch to Kirby. I always warm up with ZSS before tourneys because she's fast and takes some time to warm up. My fingers, eyes and brain aren't at their full potential if I just pick up Kirby and play. In PR, the friendlies we play before tourneys are usually teams, because we're always paying attention to 3 other players instead of 1 (2 opponents and your ally instead of just 1 opponent), lots of thoughts and plans and ideas and quick thinking goes on during teams. After practicing a couple of matches, we play some singles and then we go register. Since we've been keeping ourselves warmed up with fast matches, when everything dumbs down to a slower speed (1v1), our eyes, brains and fingers keep up with everything our opponents try to outplay us with. I LOVE playing as ZSS after warming up because I feel super fast, and am always spacing, juggling, catching items and watching my opponents at the same time. If I throw an attack, I plan ahead and think of what i want to do after it hits, then act on it if I see it hits immediately... It's all part of playing faster, before playing slower.
Agreed. This is why I tend to warm up with Mario before Kirby. He too is faster than Kirby (though nowhere near ZSS speed), and pretty much all his moves are only useful in specific situations, meaning I have to think and plan a lot more with him. Going back to Kirby afterwards feels like playing easy mode :laugh:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Agreed. This is why I tend to warm up with Mario before Kirby. He too is faster than Kirby (though nowhere near ZSS speed), and pretty much all his moves are only useful in specific situations, meaning I have to think and plan a lot more with him. Going back to Kirby afterwards feels like playing easy mode :laugh:
I love fast characters. If it wasn't for ZSS, I wouldnt've kept improving to the point where I'm a top player in PR, I'm 100% sure of that. I just love chasing down opponents and putting the pressure on them, and not letting them catch their breath/composure and just keep at it while very careful.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcWH...er_profilepage

because kewkky told me to post it here basically (mods can close my other thread or just let it die)

anyway its just another cutter glitch vid....in both videos i noticed me and the other kirby did B-airs....before we did the cutter. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but, its just one of the similarities i found

i also noticed we were at the same starting point when we started the cutter...then moved forward under the ledge

just saying...even if this wasn't practical it would still be nice to know how to do on demand

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Well Dourin, a good place to start is right where you are now: Subspace Emissary. It helps you get generally good with all the characters, especially in areas of mobility. After you finish, I would recommend fighting through classic and all-star mode with Kirby. Maybe fight some level 9 Kirbies and see what kind of strategies they use. Of course, before long, most human players will be better than a level 9, but that's a good place to start.
Glad to have you here at the Kirby Boards (yay! I'm not the newest anymore ;)

:kirby:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Ok, so i have a question relating doubles.
I main Jigglypuff in doubles, but my Kirby is better in singles. My friend is a pit main and has asked me to do doubles with her. So should i use Kirby or Jigglypuff? If Kirby, should i take pit's power? I'm still kind of debating. My friend told me to go Kirby, but I don't know if it will work or not.

also:

Yeep, Joey (whoever he/she was before o_o) has it right.
I was Zeni(game) haha

Top Bottom