• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just want to add to that that Dair is a pretty good OoS option as well if you think your opponent will either shield or spotdodge (The latter is likely, since they often expect to be shieldgrabbed).

Also, important note to everyone who needs answers:

Check the first post. It has links to a lot of useful threads that will probably have all the information you're looking for and more.

Not saying you shouldn't ask, just you know... Most of the answers we'll give you will come straight from those threads anyway.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that second post needs updating...R.O.B. as a problem matchup? :rolleyes:

I keep forgetting. Why exactly is PS1 such a good stage for Kirby?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Wow, that second post needs updating...R.O.B. as a problem matchup? :rolleyes:

I keep forgetting. Why exactly is PS1 such a good stage for Kirby?
First of all, none of the transformations actually hinder Kirby.

The edges give problems to some characters, but not Kirby. The size of the stage (boundary lines) are also a nice distance for Kirby.

On pretty much all transformation, Kirby can stand really close to the walls and use FC, and then projectile will go through them.

On the water transformation, he can uthrow Kirbycide under the windmill, and fighting with his back to the windmill can keep his floaty self alive longer.

On the forest transformation, he has the earthquake glitch on the right side of the short bush-thing to the far right. He can shark through the pass-through platforms.

On the fire transformation, he can do the campy FC thing I mentioned earlier on the left. He also has a dtilt semi-lock against the tall tree thing (semi-lock because Kirby is slowly pushed away, but he can still rack up quite a bit of damage). Uthrow on top of the tree KO's fairly well. The tree can help him survive longer, and he can shark through the platforms.

On the rock transformation, he has inescapable jab- and dtilt locks in the depression in the middle. He can camp with FC (again, as mentioned earlier) in the pit (ideally) or on the far left. Rock has good slides around this portion of the stage.

Because of the way the edges are, Kirby can use a dsmash and hit people directly under them and epicly stage spike them.

He has a Ninja Spike Lucario and ZSS on the edges. With proper timing, he can also NS an Ice Climber or Snake on the water transformation.

Finally, many characters are hindered by the changing terrain (Kirby's projectile is the only one awesome enough to go through walls, for example).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Also, there's a brief stone glitch on the windmill blades, but it's not really all that helpful.

Just a note though, ZSS, Pika, and to a certain extent Lucario are pretty good there too. Personally, Pika is the only one to really annoy me there, but ZSS can be a pain too, and Lucario's kind of meh.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Testing :p

Also, the reasons it doesn't get into the MU discussions:

-Situational
-Doesn't work on every stage
-I sure as hell don't want them to know!

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Yeah but no one reads this thread. And if they get deleted no kirby mains will know of it. Trust me, unless you make a really big fuss about a discovery nobody will know that something has been discovered at all.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
What is land cancel and auto cancel?
PS:(anyone wanna tell me where i can find stuff like this like.... Wavedash and stuff like a forum for stuff like this that explains stuff?)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well... I think you're mixing up your Melee and Brawl terms, but I'm not sure. A good place to start though would be T!mmy's guide. I'll try to find something more general though.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
When i do f-tilt on gamecube controller i do my f-smash most of the time any tips for this not to happpen so much?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
When i do f-tilt on gamecube controller i do my f-smash most of the time any tips for this not to happpen so much?
The best you can do is practice ftilts and fsmashes. Remember, when you smash the control stick to a side and press the A button at the same time it's an fsmash, and when you move the control stick, then press A a moment later, it's a tilt... Keep playing with the timing until you find out when the fsmashes stop and the tilts start!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You can post them here in the Q&A thread. Whenever you post new Kirby stuff, usually we take the posts as "Has this been discovered yet?", and that's a question, so yeah. This is the perfect place to do so. :D

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well that I knew already, I meant what happens to you positioning, do you both slide to the side, pass through each other, some weird glitchy thing, etc.

Or just forget it.

And I have the same problem with tilts-smashes, especially the up tilt.
I'm sorry, maybe I'm not quite understanding the question. I seriously thought I had answered it.

Basically, Kirby is going to drop like a rock, like he usually would, and D3 is going to do his normal UpB animation. When the two of you intersect, so long as it's on his way up when he has super armor, then each character's trajectory won't change at all. There will just be a second of hitlag when you two hit each other, and he will gain %s, but that's about all that happens.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Okay then well idk if this is the best "combo" but
Grab>F-throw>F-air>Regrab
Since i didn't see it in t!mmy's guide i just thought i would post it >.<
Notes:Not sure if it works aginst real people. Also it only seems to work when the enemy is at 0% make sure kirby's foot hits the person. Only tested on zelda

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Okay then well idk if this is the best "combo" but
Grab>F-throw>F-air>Regrab
Don't worry man, you shouldn't feel nervous or shy around the Kirby boards. We're all very nice people, and try to be nice towards newcomers as well. :D

Yep, it's known, but proven to not work. There's this thing called Smash Directional Influence (SDI) that people can do when being hit with multiple attacks, which moves them in any direction when hit. Since fair is a multi-hit (3 kicks), the opponent can SDI up, thus able to jump before you can use a grab. It's easier when you uair because it's a single attack, which is strong enough to keep them stunned for a moment, but weak enough to not send them flying away.

So, in short: fthrow>fair doesn't work as well as fthrow>uair, and fthrow>fair can be used in less situations than fthrow>uair can be used in. :)

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry man, you shouldn't feel nervous or shy around the Kirby boards. We're all very nice people, and try to be nice towards newcomers as well. :D

Yep, it's known, but proven to not work. There's this thing called Smash Directional Influence (SDI) that people can do when being hit with multiple attacks, which moves them in any direction when hit. Since fair is a multi-hit (3 kicks), the opponent can SDI up, thus able to jump before you can use a grab. It's easier when you uair because it's a single attack, which is strong enough to keep them stunned for a moment, but weak enough to not send them flying away.

So, in short: fthrow>fair doesn't work as well as fthrow>uair, and fthrow>fair can be used in less situations than fthrow>uair can be used in. :)
Okay thanks.... but how could they SDI out of it if its only one kick. Like when i was doing it on training it was only one kick not three.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Okay thanks.... but how could they SDI out of it if its only one kick. Like when i was doing it on training it was only one kick not three.
Well, if you're only hitting them with one of the fair kicks, then that means that you're fthrowing, then fastfalling, then doing the fair before you touch the ground. The opponent can either attack you before you attack them in this case, or they could just footstool Kirby's head/leg.

Uair is a better choice as well due to how long the attack reaches (vertical hitbox and disjoint), meaning that if they try and jump they'll still get hit by the uair. They can do nothing but take the hit unless they have an amazingly fast aerial (like Luigi and his nair).

Can Kirby's down-B punish air-dodges if timed right?

What I mean is, is it fast enough to hit them in their lag?
Actually, yes! I used to play around with Kirby's downB this way, by following Snakes when they use their Cyphers to recover high, then feinting a bair attempt but actually starting a downB. If I successfully predicted the airdodge slightly before/during/after (all 3 work) I started Kirby's downB, then Snake would get hit and die off the top. It works because Kirby's downB is an active hitbox all the way to the ground, so it frametraps the opponent when their vulnerable frames happen. I would also do this against characters whose first aerial option is airdodging while trying to land...

The bad thing about doing this is that when the opponent figures out what you want to do, if the feint fails, they'll hit you with any aerial of theirs while you transform and fall safely back on-stage (the Snake started nairing me from high up... I adjusted to this by bairing him instead of downB'ing, but then it would only work as a mix-up when I successfully airdodge-baited).

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Well, if you're only hitting them with one of the fair kicks, then that means that you're fthrowing, then fastfalling, then doing the fair before you touch the ground. The opponent can either attack you before you attack them in this case, or they could just footstool Kirby's head/leg.

Uair is a better choice as well due to how long the attack reaches (vertical hitbox and disjoint), meaning that if they try and jump they'll still get hit by the uair. They can do nothing but take the hit unless they have an amazingly fast aerial (like Luigi and his nair).
Kk thanks kewkky :p

edit: i'll post something if i (think) found somthing

Albert.

Smash Master
The bad thing about doing this is that when the opponent figures out what you want to do, if the feint fails, they'll hit you with any aerial of theirs while you transform and fall safely back on-stage (the Snake started nairing me from high up... I adjusted to this by bairing him instead of downB'ing, but then it would only work as a mix-up when I successfully airdodge-baited).
LOL and that's just a game of rock-paper-scissors.

The solution is just to switch to MK lol

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Couldn't find this anywhere.
Does Kirby's Pikmin Pluck percentage change with the terrain (similar to Olimar's Pikmin Pluck)?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Couldn't find this anywhere.
Does Kirby's Pikmin Pluck percentage change with the terrain (similar to Olimar's Pikmin Pluck)?
A part of me says it's exactly like Olimar's...... But another part of me says I shouldn't spread false info.

I dunno, we've never checked it out. Probably because inhaling a top-level Olimar is hard enough as it is.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You don't exactly need to fight a top Olimar to test that.
It's not important enough to test anyway. I was just curious. ^^;

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You don't exactly need to fight a top Olimar to test that.
It's not important enough to test anyway. I was just curious. ^^;
I know, man, we should have checked it out anyway. :(

But it's kinda like our aerial sideB infinite 2nd jump glitch... What's the point in finding stuff out, if ultimately it's intensely hard to get to that point? During an actual match, once we inhale Olimar, he'll keep sideB camping us. Our copy ability will be gone before we realize we had it. :(

Still, makes me want to check it out now. I'll probably try it sometime this week or the next (this is a very busy one for me, no computer time before 9:00pm EST every day)

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
O yeah, so I've heard that on custom stages with the outdoor background, olimar's pikmin pluck lags by a fraction of a second, so when they use custom stages as CP stages, they ban that background, even though the others positively influence the pikmin he draws. Is that true?

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
They had a contest to make new starters/counterpicks, but I forgot to enter. I had some great ideas, too!

But the idea hasn't caught on, which is pretty stupid, once some generics are finalized, it could really fix some pretty gay MU's .

*glares at a tiny spaceman with a massive head*

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
O yeah, so I've heard that on custom stages with the outdoor background, olimar's pikmin pluck lags by a fraction of a second, so when they use custom stages as CP stages, they ban that background, even though the others positively influence the pikmin he draws. Is that true?
Last time I checked, we were still working on figuring out pluck percentages on custom stages (Hilt gave it to me to work on, but I only did 2/3 of the stage floors. ;>_>).
May I ask where you found this?

P.S. Your question is kind of confusing.
P.P.S. The night background isn't really beneficial (standard 23/23/23/15/15).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yeah, P.S.S. would be "Post Script Script". XD
The metallic scene IS beneficial to Oli, though (it has the same percentages as Frigate).

Quick question because I can't find that topic with a list of Kirby's combos, is Dthrow ->Utilt ->High Ftilt -> Dtilt -> Fsmash a true combo in any situation?

Top Bottom