• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hi guys i was wondering. Did everyone notice that when you land with Kirby in to the ground, Kirby will release a little star on the top of his head? I been testing this, but it seems that i cannot get it when i land with a down air, such a shame.
Maybe because the downair has a special landing animation? Remember that when he lands, he does one last attack with a little more knockback than the aerial part, and his landing animation changes (he does like a little kick forward, then gets up)... So, maybe that's why?

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
Maybe because the downair has a special landing animation? Remember that when he lands, he does one last attack with a little more knockback than the aerial part, and his landing animation changes (he does like a little kick forward, then gets up)... So, maybe that's why?
I think kirby has 2 diferent landing animations with the down air, it depend in how fast you fast fall from your shorp-hop down air. I think that, if you do it fast enough, Kirby might be able to release the star. If you know anything please let me know, i don't have a brawl right now with me to carefully test this.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I found that after a D-air timed with a full jump you can use your aerial hammer as you land. You can coax you opponent with it to land a KO blow. They usually think that you will land in front of them with lag or something 'cause they seem to try to grab me. Just retreat with it as you land after the full hopped D-air. That hammer has pretty nifty aerial control. It's a pretty neat little surprise to pull off. :bee:

You could also use the Final Cutter or Stone before you land with a full hopped D-air. Although, using those attacks at close range would be risky.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think kirby has 2 diferent landing animations with the down air, it depend in how fast you fast fall from your shorp-hop down air. I think that, if you do it fast enough, Kirby might be able to release the star. If you know anything please let me know, i don't have a brawl right now with me to carefully test this.
I dunno about the first landing animation, I really haven't payed attention to the star popping out, if it does... But the second landing animation (the one with the hitbox) definitely doesn't have one.

And yeah, the first landing animation has no effect on your landing lag at all. You know you did it if as soon as you land, Kirby yells his usual "hah!" and you're able to move around doing anything as if you landed normally.

As for full-hopped dairs into air hammers... If it works for you, go for it! But I would rather not fullhop any dairs... I they shield it and have a nice utilt/usmash/upB, that's it for you and being safe. :/

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I found that after a D-air timed with a full jump you can use your aerial hammer as you land. You can coax you opponent with it to land a KO blow. They usually think that you will land in front of them with lag or something 'cause they seem to try to grab me. Just retreat with it as you land after the full hopped D-air. That hammer has pretty nifty aerial control. It's a pretty neat little surprise to pull off. :bee:

You could also use the Final Cutter or Stone before you land with a full hopped D-air. Although, using those attacks at close range would be risky.
This is good agains't big characters, dont try this against quick aproachers. Also is not spamable. But thats only my opinion.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've been second-ing kirby for a long time now, and I am just wondering what you guys would say is the most recommended way of approaching. Or better yet, is it smart to be approaching? (Like is it more beneficial to bait your opponent and attack from there or just play defensively than to approach)

another thing... what should be the most used of attacks for kirby? I know bair in many cases and uair in some others (dair also if used properly), but what would be a more full list of "best to worst" for kirby (you can separate into categories if you like...)?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I've been second-ing kirby for a long time now, and I am just wondering what you guys would say is the most recommended way of approaching. Or better yet, is it smart to be approaching? (Like is it more beneficial to bait your opponent and attack from there or just play defensively than to approach)
The most recommended ways of approaching? Well, when approaching from the air you should space your bairs and hit with the tip, and when approaching from the ground bait a reaction and punish (use shields, spotdodges, tilts and grabs when approaching and punish with anything at all... I'd recommend grabs and pummels, since our pummels refresh our moves even if you pummel very fast)... And yep, it's very beneficial for you to bait your opponents' attacks and punish him for it.

another thing... what should be the most used of attacks for kirby? I know bair in many cases and uair in some others (dair also if used properly), but what would be a more full list of "best to worst" for kirby (you can separate into categories if you like...)?
Bair, grab, utilt, ftilt, fair, dtilt, uair, dash attack, dair, jab, nair... These are the moves you'll be using to rack up damage, in order from best to worst (at least, according to my playstyle).

Fsmash, bair, dsmash, uthrow, usmash... These are the killing moves you'll be depending on, in order from best to worst (once again, according to my playstyle).

Dthrow, uthrow, fthrow/bthrow... These are your throws, ordered from most useful to least useful... But remember! They're ALL useful once you learn what you can do with your throws, so even if I called them "least useful", they're still useful, it's just that there are choices you'll be using more than the last ones.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just want to interrupt this to say: Holy Crap! A MogX post?!

EDIT: Two in fact. I must have missed the first one.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I know this might be a little to out of topic. But yesterday i played Chudat at "2 good gaming" in singles bracket, a match that a lot of people wanted to see. I used to think that i coudld beat Chudat, because i used to think thats almost no one can take me in first-quarters combat encounters, because all players on my area are pretty much too scare to aproach me, and first quarters encounters it's what kirby dittos it's all about, some spacing, punshisment, momentun everything it's manual, it's not like doing a tornado, shadow loop or other very automatic stuff.

I think Kirby dittos defines whos the best player is, theres no camping, no out-rangeus moves, not super get away moves, just two players having a real fight.

Chudat prove himself yesterday thats hes indeed the true Kirby master, by beating me in bracket. But then i think that maybe i got to much pressure from myself and everyone. Then i play him friendlys in some ramdon TV in a corner where no one could see so i could relax. I was calm and got the right mind set, this time i was not thinking about beating him, more like trying to learn more about Chudat and the match-up.
He still got be bad, i not afraid to say this, but he 3 stock me in one of those games, we share some comment and i told him that he was really amazing. Some games when even in percent, but deep down i knew Chudat was controling the match. I needed to play a tourney match a leave Chudat alone for a while.

Later on, i go out from the venue just to find Chudat with two delicious slides of pizza. We have a conversation, we share some Kirby comments and also told him how to beat MikeHaze(Sorry Mike). Also we talked about YBM, but me and Chu havent played the guy so theres was not much to talk about.

Chudat told me that, this might be his last tournament. Very up set i ask why? He told me the reason, wish i won't say. Then we ligh up some cigarrete and start smoking and conversating.

I told him about TKD and me qutting brawl for some time. Also i told him about that my new goal was probably to become one of the best Kirbys.
I told him that he was not only the best Kirby that i ever played, but probrably the best player i have ever encountered so far. Very modest with a smile he told me "thank you" and TKD agreeded with me.

We needed to go and say good bye to Chudat.

I was very happy at the end of the tournament, because i was able to learn a lot of stuff from Chudat, but also upset, just thinking that probrably the best Kirby was going to retire. We have dinner and talk about the tournament and Chudat all the time.

That day was amazing indeed.

Now whats the Kirby question right here. who is better player and Kirby main? Chudat or MogX

I will have to say Chudat.

I hope you guys liked me little story. I will have to keep getting better, there a lot to learn. Also please dont stalk Chudat with retirement questions and ****. i'm pretty sure he doesnt want that.
BTW i'm going to show up a little more around here. cya.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If he retires, then I'm one step closer to being the #1 Kirby main... >:D

I can't wait to get back to USA for my next tourney! MogX, we HAVE to meet next time! Not because I want to see who's better between us both, but because I've never really heard much of you, you've always been the mysterious Kirby mainer no one's seen or heard about, but has good results backing him up...

Too bad ChuDat's going, though. He brought a lot of recognition Kirby's way... Guess what happens after is up to us! I'm sure we can prove that it's not just ChuDat's skills that was winning him tourneys, but that Kirby's potential had a LOT of say in it also!

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Kewkk, dtilt over uair? I use uair a great deal more than I use dtilts. Why?

Also MogX what were the results of the tournament, and were there videos recorded? Sad to see Chu go, I guess MD/VA will then fall down my rankings of being one of my favorite regions to watch.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman

Also MogX what were the results of the tournament, and were there videos recorded? Sad to see Chu go, I guess MD/VA will then fall down my rankings of being one of my favorite regions to watch.
http://es.justin.tv/2ggaming/b/262767182

There you go.
also the results:
1. TKD
2. Tirant
3. T.bear
4. Chudat
5. Mikehaze
5. Larry

Mid-tiers:
1. TKD
2. MogX
3. Chudat
4. Raz
5. Awesome

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Kirby dittos for the win. We'll totally be doing a Mirror Match discusion btw eventually. I think it's worth having all the Kirby mains discussinng how they approach it and seeing how all our playstyles are different/similar.

I don't think dittos determine the best main, but rather the best player (of the two). During dittos both people have the same options so it because a game of who spaces better, prioritizes the moves, baits, punishes, approaches, defends, etc..

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Lol, not but uh, whereabouts are your whereabouts and we'll see who is nearest you :D. And now that you mention it....

Hi guys. This is my first time out of the KGD, so I'll make this one quick, so I can run back to the KGD. :)

What are some things Kirby can do to Wario out of a grab release?

And also, what are Kirby's best options out of a grab when the enemy is above combo percents, but below killing percents?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'll tackle the last question.

As long as the character in question isn't marth, luigi, MK, mario or someone else who punishes follow-ups, after grabs, with a FThrow you can usually follow up pretty easily once you read your opponent.

It's basically just feeling out your opponent; if they jump after the grab lands, you follow up with a FAir or even a correctly DI'd FC (a bit riskier but it's an option). If the character lands, you can aerialHammer, land and DA, FSmash once the grab lands for extra damage, RAR a BAir, uptilt if they're still in range or (and you might wanna try it out against some of the heavier characters) foxtrot forward>shield and regrab lol. @_@....grab game is A+.

Oh and after an UThrow if they bounce high enough, juggle with UAirs lol.

Then again, these are just some of the ways I follow-up after grabs.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Uair is more situational than dtilt, and it knocks opponents away at later %s... Dtilt always has the same effect regardless of %, so it's not just something we use for grab combos and juggling. Dtilt trips, has very low knockback, is fast and has some good horizontal range on the floor, not to mention the extra effect of making Kirby smaller than what crouch makes him. Uair, well, you either combo from a grab or juggle. Every other use for it is unsafe, like hitting your opponent while you land with it, since if they shield it you're eating a grab. Plus, what we mostly do in the air is bair, while on the ground we vary much more with approaches, given that we can actially shield/parry opponent's attacks, so the more grounded options the better, while in the air if our best attack can't win a confrontation with the opponent, that's it for our air game.

Pretty much, dtilt is safer and has more uses than uair.

dude kewkky im never retiring, so you will always be just 1 step away
:O

Uh-huh, Kewkky is gonna take the words out of your mouth and use them as shoe shiners so I can kick your butt with the same words you said. ;D

What are some things Kirby can do to Wario out of a grab release?
A reversed bair, maybe an usmash... Don't really know, since what we should be doing is outranging him with grounded attacks, instead of looking for grabs... Nothing wonderful like an fsmash or sweetspotted attack, sadly.

And also, what are Kirby's best options out of a grab when the enemy is above combo percents, but below killing percents?
I'm not too sure... His throws put the opponent in different positions and Kirby in advantageous positions (except fthrow)... Uthrow puts him above+in front of you while you're in the air also. Dthrow puts him in the air above+in front of you while you're in the ground, bthrow puts him in the air above+behind you and you have the option of either staying in the air (buffer a jump), or stay on the ground... It really depends on who your opponent's using, what are their fairs/dairs. You can uair/utilt/bair your opponents out of your throws, but choose your throw according to what they can do in the air! If it's a Marth, then bthrow is your best choice since he can't defend himself from a buffered jump>uair. If it's a snake? Dthrow is your best bet since all of his aerials are laggy and unsafe on shield at that distance. If it's an MK? Dthrow since our utilt will have frame advantage... It gets easier the more you know about your opponent's character.

EDIT: Fthrow has its uses too, but at lower %s than the ones you specified... If they're too high for fthrow>uair, then you can fthrow>buffered jump fair WoP. I do this all the time to DDDs since they can't do anything but take the hits. In Brinstar, I 0>death'd a DDD thanks to the fair WoP: fthrow>uair>regrab and pummel>fthrow>rising fair WoP to the close side blast zones to his doom... We both laughed cuz he couldn't do anything about it! The hitstun was too small for him to do anything, and he couldn't SDI anywhere due to how big DDD is.

gkirbz 54

Smash Rookie
:O

Uh-huh, Kewkky is gonna take the words out of your mouth and use them as shoe shiners so I can kick your butt with the same words you said. ;D
Cool Story Bro.

I'm not too sure...
fthrow then up b with backward di is highly effective on any stage with platforms, if the spike box hits the projectile hits or they get set up for a tech chase aerial

anywhere else dthrow is the best, it does the most damage and dthrows can lead to pivot regrabs/bairs/utilts

bthrow is useless and uthrow is for 160 percent on like the middle platform of battle field kills

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
The reason is that he surprisingly doesn't know a whole lot about the character himself, and I think he still plays with the 'release metagame', so to speak. However, he is so good as a player at mindgaming, baiting, reading, punishing, etc. that it really doesn't matter.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
When is the best time to use the Uthrow? I know it kills good at high % but what is the best % to use? I undestand that it depends on the character weight and how good thier di is but from your opinion when is the best time to use it?
<('.'<)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I use it whenever I'm close to 160%. Racking up damage with Kirby until that % isn't hard at all, thanks to the many strings and combos we can pull off on many different characters. Plus our ground game is alright, and all of our throws position our opponents above us and do 10%+. Just keep saving uthrow for killing situations! At high %s it's a sure-kill, so wait until you KNOW they're gonna die (like 160%+), or when they have a bomb in hand that's about to explode, and you have the 4th slot (omnigay).

camden

Smash Apprentice
If you use the uthrow before 160-170%, your opponents are gonna see it coming, and probably attempt to DI it, and at that %, you can't really go wrong with your DI on Kirby's throws. Save it for the kill.

BTW, Uthrow + RC = <3 <3 <3

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys i was using the MetaHat for Kirby today, and i was wondering is there a good use for this? the only good thing that i notice is getting away with it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hey guys i was using the MetaHat for Kirby today, and i was wondering is there a good use for this? the only good thing that i notice is getting away with it.
We discussed it a while ago, and unless you're playing teams, then yes the only good things are running away with it or going back on-stage. : /

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How viable is Kirby? Can he win a national event?
I personally think the possibility exists... But why choose Kirby, when you can just go main any other character?

... Which is what every top player is thinking. As sad as it may sound. If I lived in USA, you could sit tight and know there was another Kirby representative living and breathing in tourneys, raring to go to his next national! But alas, that is not so, and I can only do so once every blue moon due to living outside of USA...

Enough about me and my deams. D:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, Kirby can win a national tournament. (here comes the "but") But don't think that you won't be at a disadvantage in pretty much all of your matches.... and playing with a handicap against Mew2King, Ally, etc isn't helping your chances of winning said tournament.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's more like: Kirby doesn't get completely ***** vs Diddy.
Go troll the other threads Phil. XD

POONR

Smash Cadet
Catch his bananas. If you decide to float, always catch them when you land. You can also catch his peanuts too. Using Z to catch is so helpful in these cases.

Sometimes its best just not to approach, throw his stuff back at him and be patient so he can approach. When he does, be ready for glidetoss banana to grab. Shield it and grab him first into Uthrow or Bthrow. Be ready to grab dash attack too, if you don't grab it then you might want to just roll away rather than jumping and getting caught by utilt. His aerials are all pretty bad, if you see him throwing it out just wait and jump/bair him.

Most important thing with Diddy is to edgeguard. His recovery is horrible. I've been in really bad situations with Diddy before but came back with edgeguards and spikes.
Well put sir. My friend plays Diddy and I found this to be pretty helpful in fighting a Diddy player.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I dunno, I find Diddy to be one of Kirby's easiest top tier MUs... And by that, I don't mean "theyre all bad and he's the least bad", I mean that he's not badd at all for us. : \

Top Bottom