• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Triple R

Smash Lord
I did it today in a small online tournament. My opponent was a spammy toon link but he knew DI, SDI and stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3eiFZjFnI
As you can see his room to airdodge wasn't that big. That's not meant to be used every match, but if one day your opponent misses a tech...
While I'm sure your opponent knows about DI, he didn't DI in that instant to avoid hitting the ground so early, but that's beside the point. I'm pretty sure you had enough time to just do a jab lock to him. For future reference, trying bairing them and then dashing towards them. Then use your shield to stop, then jab lock them.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I was thinking of making a new thread on this, but im going to ask it here.

Are some of Kirby's controls programmed incorrectly? Sometimes my u-tilt comes out as jab, and this is extreme bad news because it often results in me getting punished.

I've seen it happen to other Kirbys when they clearly meant to u-tilt but it comes out as a jab instead/

I play with other characters such as Lucas, Jigglypuff, Zelda and Sonic and I never had this problem. Only with Kirby.

Am I imagining things or what?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Are some of Kirby's controls programmed incorrectly? Sometimes my u-tilt comes out as jab, and this is extreme bad news because it often results in me getting punished.

I've seen it happen to other Kirbys when they clearly meant to u-tilt but it comes out as a jab instead/

I play with other characters such as Lucas, Jigglypuff, Zelda and Sonic and I never had this problem. Only with Kirby.

Umm, I think you're imagining it. Whenever stuff like that happens to me, I blame it on me and my "pressing buttons too fast". To me, it's because I main ZSS, and I'm always moving my fingers over every button imaginable, when I'm supposed to be slow & steady for Kirby.

Maybe you're doing the same thing and moving your fingers too fast? Or inputting stuff faster than what you're supposed to (like drop a shield, wait, then utilt... Or maybe you're buffering the jab accidentally by pressing A then up a few seconds later? I dunno).

I know it happens to me a lot as ZSS and Kirby.

Sir_J

Smash Apprentice

I think you are not waiting for the lag to end before you attack again. If you press uptilt right after you do a dair to the ground, it wont show up. If you do it too early, you might just pop the jab because the game doesn't input the upwards movement before the jab.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
so it's buffering? I hate it so much... used to older smash games.... never happens in the last two =/... so i should slow down with my u-tilts?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
so it's buffering? I hate it so much... used to older smash games.... never happens in the last two =/... so i should slow down with my u-tilts?
You can buffer them, but chances are that you'll either jab, usmash, or do an utilt. It's not based on luck, but for how long you've been pressing up, if you tilted it or not, and if you're still dropping your shield/ending some other action.

So yep, Brawl's buffering.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
is there a kirby main locator?
Hmm, curiously enough, there is none... I should see how I can fix that.

In the first page of the Kirby Epic Thread (the GD), I'm putting up pics of members. Might as well put their locations there as well.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I always pummel at least once unless I know I shouldn't pummel to get off certain grab strings. Otherwise, at low % I pummel once, mid % twice, and anything above 70% three times. If they're above 120% I pummel between 5-6 times usually.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I actually always pummel, practically regardless of the %. It's become a habit to pummel at least once.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I pummel as many times I think I can get away with. Pummeling based on % is kinad unreliable since some people don't try to escape, some try to escape, and some are pros at escaping. I just pummel as much as I think I can get away with. Experience is the key.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I always pummel at least once unless I know I shouldn't pummel to get off certain grab strings. Otherwise, at low % I pummel once, mid % twice, and anything above 70% three times. If they're above 120% I pummel between 5-6 times usually.
:laugh: I actually do this. ^^^

I noticed that if someone tries to escape, you can squeeze in a pummel for every 25%, so that's what I do. Anything, to refresh that B-air. :lick:

BBQTV

Smash Master
dont most people not now how to react to kirby? the element suprize is definitely something kirby has

Triple R

Smash Lord
I don't know about you guys, but people can escape grabs really fast in brawl. I've been able to escape after Ice Climbers dash grab me at 80% before nana recovers and can start the chaingrab.

BBQTV

Smash Master
I don't know about you guys, but people can escape grabs really fast in brawl. I've been able to escape after Ice Climbers dash grab me at 80% before nana recovers and can start the chaingrab.
when confronted with a match up you feel uncomfortable with you should probably pick your secondary
MK
thankfuly they aren't to many people on the horribad match up for kirby, but anyone i just dont like to fight i pick my secondary
MK

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah no kidding. Some people get out of grabs ridiculously fast.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Guys. Hylian is known for his ICs and so I CP'd ICs and found his (and apparently every ICs) weakness.

Get good @ ICs peeps.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kill him on the left side of distant planet. Always keep Pit on your left and it should all get easier after that. Try not to go over him too much, best place to be is under him when he's in the air, or under the platform while he's on top of it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
FVCT~ Frio's Video Critique Thread
For a quick and easy to follow critique.

What is it?

Too lazy to read those long and boring critiques on the brawl character boards? Well you're in luck. Just send me a video of you playing from Youtube and I'll re-upload it with a critique commentary on My Channel. I'll PM you when I re-upload your video on my channel.
Oh, so you'd rather teach people stuff instead of character boards, when in actuality character boards know about their character more than you do? I'm pretty sure I can help people in the Q&A thread better than any video-commentary-infused critique can help them. What if your information is wrong? The best place to get the best information on characters, is on their character boards by their most dedicated members.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That being said, the concept isn't bad at all. Maybe make this part of the video critique thread thing?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That being said, the concept isn't bad at all. Maybe make this part of the video critique thread thing?
If that's his intention, then its not half bad for small critiques... But usually when people write up match critiques, we get long replies. I dunno how its all gonna fit in one video. :|

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
so what are good ways to get around snakes camping especially at higher percents? and i know its not easy but what is the best way to try and inhale and steal snakes power?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, to steal his power, Dthrow>inhale or inhaling him off his cypher may be the easiest ways. That or predicting an airdodge, but I'd rather punish an airdodge/spotdodge with a kill move if possible.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I can also see fthrow>inhale working if your Snake opponent has a habit of pulling a grenade out to stop the fthrow>uair. Haven't tried it yet though, since I barely ever use inhales... It's the next thing I'm gonna work on the next time I get to play Brawl.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
okay cool, what do you guys suggest to do about the camping? there are many snakes where i live and i need to figure out what im doing in the matchup lol.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
okay cool, what do you guys suggest to do about the camping? there are many snakes where i live and i need to figure out what im doing in the matchup lol.
Well, you could shield the grenades, zcatch them then throw them backwards. If you throw them towards Snake and he strips them they'll stay in front of you, forcing you to retreat... But if you throw them backwards and he strips them, your approach still works!

If you're not approaching, just stay in the air with your back turned to Snake, and float above the grenades by jumping>fastfalling>rinse and repeat>eventually landing to regain your jumps, until you find an opportunity to bair him/land and grab him while he pulls out another grenade.

If you're trying to stall him out, just keep jumping out of his reach.

RATED

Smash Lord
I can also see fthrow>inhale working if your Snake opponent has a habit of pulling a grenade out to stop the fthrow>uair. Haven't tried it yet though, since I barely ever use inhales... It's the next thing I'm gonna work on the next time I get to play Brawl.

I think that if the Snake B reverse the grenade, you could inhale the grenade.

let's try it next time though. ( it would be interesting)

========================

for the post that says about Snake camping game

I play this MU a lot as Snake but yeah, the best you can do is the things that kewkky says in his post and also start jumping out of Snake range to bait his Dash attack/mortal slide or the uptilt. when Snake approaches with the "grenade stance" just space well your Dtilt since Snake can't grab him that way. and don't run to snake if he's not in the grenade stance since he could pivot grab you.

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
I have a freaky question: Is Y.B.M the best Kirby player? I don't have seen vids of his Kirby but everyone says that he is the best. Are there any vids of him?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
The topic of the best Kirby comes up once in a while, and there's flaming and lots of people sure of conflicting things, but no consensus. So be aware that you'll get varied answers and it's not a great question. IMO, Chu is the best Kirby, but I don't see YbM play a lot.

You can probably find vids on YouTube (I believe his username is YbM).

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
The topic of the best Kirby comes up once in a while, and there's flaming and lots of people sure of conflicting things, but no consensus. So be aware that you'll get varied answers and it's not a great question. IMO, Chu is the best Kirby, but I don't see YbM play a lot.

You can probably find vids on YouTube (I believe his username is YbM).
THX for the answer. Yah, you can find some vids of him playing but the majority is from month ago.

Edit: After watching some vids of YbM I think Chu is better, imo. Especially the vids of "Xanadu Games" are f******* awesome and profe that Chu is a top Kirby-Player.

Top Bottom