• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah, it happens with Kirby's upB.

So when you upB and land on the edge of a ledge, you're supposed to just shoot the shockwave and be back to normal and do whatever you desire. But, if someone stands right next to Kirby and shields, he pushes Kirby over the ledge while he's still in his ending animation. When this happens, Kirby goes into what you saw: freefall. A tip so this doesn't affect you at all would be to NOT leave down pressed when you upB. It doesn't really make your attack stronger or help you fall faster, so all you're doing is running the risk of that same thing that happened to you, to happen again.

Whoops, forgot to say why NOT to leave down pressed... When you do that, you don't grab the ledge. If you don't press down, you end up grabbing the ledge instead of falling to your doom.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Guys don't listen to t1mmy, he'll have you think Wario's low tier ;)
You're obviously mistaking me with t0mmy. Although Kirby does go pretty even with Wario, so that should tell you something.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's roughly 6:4. Not terrible for Kirby, but he got to do massive work to Kill Wario. Massive.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Yeah, it happens with Kirby's upB.

So when you upB and land on the edge of a ledge, you're supposed to just shoot the shockwave and be back to normal and do whatever you desire. But, if someone stands right next to Kirby and shields, he pushes Kirby over the ledge while he's still in his ending animation. When this happens, Kirby goes into what you saw: freefall. A tip so this doesn't affect you at all would be to NOT leave down pressed when you upB. It doesn't really make your attack stronger or help you fall faster, so all you're doing is running the risk of that same thing that happened to you, to happen again.

Whoops, forgot to say why NOT to leave down pressed... When you do that, you don't grab the ledge. If you don't press down, you end up grabbing the ledge instead of falling to your doom.
this is why i never upb on kirby. Had this happen once or twice. Ive also been speed hug gimped, and grabbed out of kirbys upb on the stage.

Unless your trying to smarty spike someone in water, or its your only resort left never use it

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If I get D Thrown by a meta then which way should I DI and why? I'd really appreciate the help. ;)
If you get dthrown by an MK, DI in the direction you'll be thrown towards, and down. This way, you'll bounce on the floor, giving you the opportunity to tech behind him, away from him, or in place.

Me, I always tech away from MK. Why? Well, he has no way of reaching me fast enough to follow up with anything at all, and I can shield any of his attacks, as well as attack him before he can grab me! Teching behind MK is a very nice mixup, in case he thinks you're going to tech away and keeps on running trying to make you run out of space and force you off the edge.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Do any kirby mains here team with a MK? I am trying to figure out what I need to do with my kirby in doubles with MK
I do. General strategies involve in both jumping offstage against one opponent and gimping him then recovering safely since both have 5 jumps and MK has THE best recovery, or each one hitting the opponents and 'passing them' to each other with attacks, or simple easy grab shenanigans (always give MK port priority) like a sideB/fsmash during MK's grabs/dthrow or dairing out of MK's dthrow for another MK regrab (technically an infinite if done right). Kirby doesn't have any useless attacks (except maybe nair and upB as offensive moves), so he's ready for any situation that MK might create, and he also can create all the situations he wants because MK's pool of options will cover them all.

Inhaling his attack is up to you, but you gain lots of boons if you inhale his tornado. Double tornado action is VERY good, especially when the MK is open to the idea and lets you inhale him! But, inhaling an opponent and jumping offstage sets up for a great gimping scenario, what with MK's and Kirby's gimping potential shining more when working together. Both characters do great killing on-stage (and by great, I mean you do better than the majority of other character combinations), but they are better offstage... And the fact that if one of you screw up and are knocked around offstage you can still recover, means the ally will have more time to concentrate on your opponents rather than on you, But just in case one of the two is in a very bad position offstage, either one can jump and uair the other to salvation if need be!

Really, Kirby and MK work VERY well together, much better than a large amount of other 'character + MK' pairings.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Sooo... When you use Side-B in the air, I notice that you have a little lag when you hit the ground unless you use a move such as nair (I think). I was wondering how much lag there is when it happens. Does anyone know? @_@

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
^ You have my name!!!

In answer to your question: wait for Kewkky to post the frame data or check Timmy's guide.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sooo... When you use Side-B in the air, I notice that you have a little lag when you hit the ground unless you use a move such as nair (I think). I was wondering how much lag there is when it happens. Does anyone know? @_@
I can't find any specific threads or posts made about it, but just so you know, it's called BSL (Bull **** Lag) and RCO Lag (dunno this one) in other parts of the boards, and we call it 'Phantom Lag' here. Thing is, when some characters perform a specific aerial, when they land they get the ridiculous amount of lag. I think it was a coding error or something, but it only affects special attacks from some characters.

From what I can remember, characters would get from 17 to 29 frames of lag as they land. Kirby's takes forever, so I'm guessing it's the full 29 frames of lag.

camden

Smash Apprentice
I need some help at gimping Ike. The match-up is tough for me in the first place, but I feel this could make it easier. I've tried so many different options. Tips?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I need some help at gimping Ike. The match-up is tough for me in the first place, but I feel this could make it easier. I've tried so many different options. Tips?
"Push him offstage as soon as you have the chance, then jump after him and keep hitting him with attacks until he's too far to come back", that's the general gimping strategy against Ike for us. Lets see if I can explain it in some other, less vague way...

Okay, so when you knock Ike offstage, your goal is to keep him offstage. He can either recover from below stage level near the ledge with his upB (extremely vertical), or from above stage level from far away with his sideB (extreme horizontal), and this isn't counting recoveries from high up (If he's getting knocked high up, it generally means you're using attacks that are too strong, or he's no longer gimpable and now you have to kill him... Remember, gimps are low % kills). That's pretty much it, 2 forms of recoveries he can do with his own attacks. I'll cover the recovering-from-high after the ones with attacks.

*UpB: The strategy here is quite easy, actually... Usually when you see someone below stage level, your first reaction is to go there and dair them. That's good, and definitely works on Ike. But if you miss, you're committed to that attack and can't do anything until it finishes, and that includes grab the ledge before Ike does so. So, that's a great option, but the optimal option would be to jump down backwards and start bairing him. It's a faster attack and will keep pushing Ike away from the stage and he'll remain below stage level, and since it ends fast, you can keep following him and bairing him. He's not gonna attack you because his attacks are quite laggy and if he does, his stock is gone, period... So, once you bair him and he's too far to recover, just jump back and grab the ledge with your remaining jumps. He might try and take you with him with his upB, so be careful about how you go back t the stage! You could drop way below stage level and wait out the attack until he starts going downwards, then jump and airdodge at the same time to evade that downwards swing and recover safely.

*SideB: This one's really easy. As soon as you see an Ike charging his sideB, take notice of how high he is. If he's at a height where you can jump and follow him offstage, then get hit with his attack before he releases it, then by all means do so! If you get hit with his attack, you stop his advance and he falls to his doom in freefall... But if he's too high, just sit around and wait for him to sideB. Once he does, trace where he's gonna land, then try and hit him before he touches the floor or grabs a ledge so he doesn't recover his jumps. If you knock him back offstage, it's all a matter of jumping out and bairing him once or twice before his stock is done for, then you recover with your remaining jumps.

*He's coming from too high: He probably has too much % to get gimped, so your best bet is to just take his stock with a smash attack. Assuming he'll always DI properly, you'll find it much better to just forget all about gimping him and just racking up damage for the kill. BUT! If by any chance you hit him/throw him and he goes offstage, don't think twice and immediately jump facing away from him. Bairs are your best bet for gimping him since his horizontal air speed won't get him to the stage fast enough for him to save himself, and his upB is a vertical recovery move, so dairing him and sending him down (vertical) is not as effective as bairing him and sending him away (horizontal).

Dair is still a good option for gimping Ike, but only if you know you're gonna hit with it. If you're not sure, start bairing away and watch him not be able to cover enough horizontal distance in time and die. If you can, try and hit him with weak bairs instead of the strong hits so his DI doesn't help him recover. Still, you don't need to worry much about one of your bairs saving him, since his horizontal air speed is THAT slow, and knocking him away a good enough distance will gimp him anyway.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think he's trolling...
Nah, he sent me an AIM to ask me stuff about Kirby, but somehow the simple 3-person chat turned into a chat party with 10+ people spamming to see who as the best spammer.

: |

Spammers, eh..... =/

Anyways,
*explodes in anger*
HOW THE **** DOES KIRBY APPROACH?! :mad:

I try to approach with Bair, but I mean, who can't see it coming? Poking with bair can only take me so far. Are there any better (or worse, but not entirely bad) approaches? Are there any moves that lead to a safe grab?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Spammers, eh..... =/

Anyways,
*explodes in anger*
HOW THE **** DOES KIRBY APPROACH?! :mad:

I try to approach with Bair, but I mean, who can't see it coming? Poking with bair can only take me so far. Are there any better (or worse, but not entirely bad) approaches? Are there any moves that lead to a safe grab?
Lol twink, you know, I COULD just help you out at the smashfest, since explaining things with a Wii right next to us and the ability to talk to you and do stuff at the same time would help a lot... But for now, I guess I'll just help you out by writing. Boring, huh?

Dtilt leads to some very safe grabs, actually. As you dtilt, Kirby actually gets smaller than the crouch animation, able to avoid lots of threats from opponents, even some grabs! And also, the fact that it may trip and the opponents now want to get up from the trip will make it very easy to run in, shield, and grab them. Not to mention dtilt has some pretty decent horizontal range, against Snakes I dtilt a lot since the range challenges (but doesn't beat) Snake's ftilt, and if they trip it's a free grab and a buttload of %, maybe even a gimp/kill situation. SO, if you have the range to spare, or are afraid of getting too close to your opponent due to the risk of getting hit, dtilt away.

Dair is also notorious for leading into grabs. If you actually hit with a dair hitbox, and the landing hitbox connects, we get a nice frame advantage since they're doing a grounded knockback animation and unable to momentum cancel it. Best they can do it, after they're hit, raise their shields (which explains why dair>fsmash doesn't work, they can powershield it)... But you know what happens when a grab meets a shield, right? The grab wins! So if you ever find yourself hovering around your opponent, and you're quite sure your dair will punish whatever mistake their doing, go ahead and throw one out! You'll find yourself grabbing your opponent before you know it.

I know you just said bairs aren't helping, but just to point out, Bair combos into grabs at low %s. If you're near your opponent and you hit them with a falling bair and land, turn around and grab, cuz your opponent will remain in grab range. This is very useful, and I find myself doing it a lot in many different matchups, even against MK.

And of course, shielddashing. Literally running around in your shield cuts down your opponent's options, since there only a handful of things in the game that can properly punish a shield, and those things can be countered with a grab. Even if your opponent puts up a defensive wall, paying attention to the space in between each attack will give you time to run in, (power)shield, and grab him for not being safe enough. I don't know how much you've incorporated shielddashing to your list of approaches, but it's something that not just Kirby can do to approach (everyone can), but thanks to his fast grab with deceptive range, he can abuse this tactic with the best of 'em!

That's pretty much it. Everything else are things your opponent will be able to avoid if they watch out for it. I hope you go to the smashfest TWiNK, I could really help you out a lot in person!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, I wish I lived somewhere where I could go to national tourneys. Or somewhere with an enormous smash scene. :(

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What tha hurtbox?

I was effin Ganon, on BF, and my friend was Kirby.
He copied my ability, and he had like 118%, compared to my 50%.
He was on the RIGHT PLATFORM of BF, I was UNDER HIM AS GANON, He uses Neutral B, I wait it out, and i get hit and lose the game.
W,T,F?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's not that Kirby's version has a bigger hitbox so much as Ganon is the tallest character in the game, and as a result, his head, and therefore hurtbox is slightly above the platform.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Dair as approach is like approaching with Up-B, it sucks.
I agree, thought it might be matchup dependant (you won't spam Dair as you spam Bair anyway).

Otherwise, what do you guys think of Bair at about 30-50% on heavyweight/fastfallers into jab lock if they miss the tech? I've already been able to Dtilt them pretty often, thought I was a bit too far to follow up with a real jab lock (but a free Fsmash/grab is still pretty cool).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Bair? o_O

Uhh... I think the scenario you're thinking of is impossible... So, nope, bair can't lead into a jablock realistically.

And who said dair was being used for approaching? I explicitly pointed out that "dair leads into grabs", and that was all I said. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :|

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Yeah Bair. If they doesn't DI up (and they have no real reasons to do so at mid%) they will hit the ground, what can be followed up with a Dtilt (which locks). Or maybe are all my opponents big sandbags.

I can try to upload a video.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah Bair. If they doesn't DI up (and they have no real reasons to do so at mid%) they will hit the ground, what can be followed up with a Dtilt (which locks). Or maybe are all my opponents big sandbags.

I can try to upload a video.
Nah, don't expect a jablock situation from a bair. Something's telling me you're playing CPUs.... Every person airdodges/attacks as soon as you hit them when they're close to the ground in order to avoid splatting on the floor, and if they hit the floor, they tech. The scenario is impossible because of how people don't want jablocks.

Against human opponents, that's only possible if as soon as you hit them, they stop pressing all the buttons and the control stick. Knowing people, this never happens. :\

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
I'm playing humans only, thought that's mostly on wifi (which can be similar to CPUs? XD). And I'm french, still I am amoung the "good ones" that doesn't mean I am that good anyway >.>
But I can see what's legit or not, and I'll post a video of this. Actually they juste have a few frames to airdodge before they hit the ground if you hit them at the correct % with the specific staleness of your Bair.
The easiest thing to do to get a jab lock situation is a Bair hitting with the front of the hitbox (basically Kirby's head).
That's meant to be situational by the way. But if one day your opponent DIs poorly and miss the tech, then you can hurt him badly for free.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yeah, this is super easy to do in training mode at least. I've done it a million times. His %'s are right, but like Kewkky said most people will press at least one button before hitting the ground. Plus the opponent pretty much has to have no DI or DI down for this to happen. Personally I'm always DI'ing away or up. I know what you are talking about though Kratos.

Top Bottom