• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question because I can't find that topic with a list of Kirby's combos, is Dthrow ->Utilt ->High Ftilt -> Dtilt -> Fsmash a true combo in any situation?
Nope, it's not a true combo. Nothing combos from an ftilt, and utilt only combos into aerials due to opponents having the ability to DI and jump out before a turnaround grounded attack (They'll DI far behind Kirby and attempt to jump away/DI onto Kirby and hit with a combo breaker).

Would luigi and smaus be good back up mains??
Nope, they wouldn't... Samus has a lot of disadvantaged MUs, and doesn't cover any of Kirby's whereas Kirby covers Samus's. Luigi also has a larger number of disadvantages and doesn't cover Kirby's... When looking for back-up mains, you should concentrate on who covers Kirby's bad MUs.

Let's see... Our obvious disadvantages are MK, Snake, ZSS, Olimar, Marth, ICs. From this, I can deduce to be good back-up mains:

MK, Snake, Diddy, Falco, Marth (not for MK though). I know I'm only listing top tiers, but it's because they're the best choices when it comes to covering Kirby's disadvantages completely (they're top tier for a reason!).

If you'd like a list of non-top tiers, let me know. But definitely consider using the best characters! They have good matchups against all of Kirby's disadvantaged MUs, which is what you should aim for with back-up mains.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Nope, it's not a true combo. Nothing combos from an ftilt, and utilt only combos into aerials due to opponents having the ability to DI and jump out before a turnaround grounded attack (They'll DI far behind Kirby and attempt to jump away/DI onto Kirby and hit with a combo breaker).
Aww. Oh well, thank you for answering.
I was under the impression that Ftilt could combo against aerial opponents. ^^;

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
No problem man! At least I could answer one of your questions. :/

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes, the dsmash is veeeeeery useful! It's a long-lasting hitbox that can kill off the top and baits airdodges since opponents expect you to dish out an fsmash and land behind you, but since the dsmash hits all around you, they get hit anyway. I've been using it more, and it's been helping me waaay too much, even for the (recently discussed) Snake MU (fsmash is still better, but dsmash works better for some characters).

Now, usmash... I can only see it useful as surprise usmashes, or to combo from dthrows when the opponents splat on the platforms above you when you dthrow.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Or when they whiff or hit your shield with a laggy attack, and you don't want to stale your f-smash, you can punish with u-smash. Also, it puts them in the air, so you can follow their DI and try to juggle them.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Or when they whiff or hit your shield with a laggy attack, and you don't want to stale your f-smash, you can punish with u-smash. Also, it puts them in the air, so you can follow their DI and try to juggle them.
I guess a jump-cancelled OoS usmash is in order whenever an opponent hits your shield and has at least 15 frames of lag afterwards... But I'd really feel safer with a reverse utilt, bair or a shieldgrab.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I find all the smashes have their uses. Obviously we all know about fsmash. Kewkky talked about dsmash a little bit.

I sometimes use usmash when i trip with dtilt and i'm pretty sure i know where they are going, leading to a tech chase kill. I sometimes use it for simple punishes if I don't want to stale fsmash. I think it has it's uses since you basically crouch when you use it. I've once crouched under a meta's glide attack while charging and then hit them with it.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I like the D-Smash to punish someone just a biiiit out of range if I want to keep my F-Smash fresh. I mean, the D-Smash is our fastest Smash attack. Plus, I like how it sends your opponent fairly horizontally for a nice gimp set-up. That lasting hitbox is great plus I feel it's got a nice oomph to it, too!

The U-Smash, well I like how it can catch someone on the lower platforms on Battlefield. Also if shielded, they could fall off they platform (if they are not quick enough) and set up for a suu-weat Jab Lock. I wonder where else can Kirby shark with it... hmmm. Plus it should be noted that Kirby squishes a bit before he unleashes it, like what Triple R mentioned. For my one little anecdote, I've been able to KO a few G&W with it if I can predict a B-air/F-air comin'.

Edit: Maybe I haven't spent much time in the Kirby boards but I haven't seen much mention about Kirby's Reverse Moment with his inhale. I'm not sure what it's called but while in the air going in your forward direction you use your B Move and immediately tilt backwards from where your facing to reverse all your momentum. I think it's a great technique for inhaling someone or even using it with a copied move. Mindgamez son!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Edit: Maybe I haven't spent much time in the Kirby boards but I haven't seen much mention about Kirby's Reverse Moment with his inhale. I'm not sure what it's called but while in the air going in your forward direction you use your B Move and immediately tilt backwards from where your facing to reverse all your momentum. I think it's a great technique for inhaling someone or even using it with a copied move. Mindgamez son!
It's cool, no worries. The momentum-reverse effect is called "Wavebouncing", and yeah, we know about it (but thanks for trying to help out anyway!). We do that, but some of us prefer to not inhale our opponents, due to how long it takes for us to finally get the inhale... Inhaling. Usually our opponents have fast reactions, so they either jump and attack, or hit us with a long-range move/projectile. Even if we're running away from our opponent and our opponent is running after us, when we wavebounce our inhale in the air/ground, usually they figure it out and attack us with a quick attack before we start the actual inhaling.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is Hammer in the air a decent approach?
Nope. Aerial hammer has a very small hitbox and medium-speed startup, which give opponents a chance to get away befure you're close enough, attack you from out of range, or simply shield/airdodge.

It's a good move to use though, if they're in a position where they are in danger of getting hit by it, or if they have no choice but to shield it. Since the knockback is great, them shielding it will probable result in you not being countered by an OoS option.

Buuut, I personally wouldn't use it as an approach... More like, just use it when you're in an opponent's 'blind spot' and can dish it out with nothing to fear but them shielding the hit/taking it and possibly dying.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
A quick follow-up to a previous question of mine:
Hilt says Kirby has the same pluck percentages as Olimar.
*The More You Know*

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yep, but they do different % and go different ranges depending on the colors.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I know Dedede lands Inhale on Oli by hopping toward him and Inhaling or just doing it while falling.
Can Kirby do something like that or is he too floaty?
(or is his inhale grab box too small?)

Also, MikeKirby mentioned the reversed inhale. Surely one of these options works against Olimar.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I´ve been screwing around with momentum-reversed inhales and I must ay it's a lot of fun and does catch people of guard, it could work against some of the tough-but-worth-it foes like snake and pikachu.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I do it a lot for Mario, but TBH, with Kirby it doesn't really help much except with certain powers.

Also, how useful is the Lucario power to you guys? I mean, IDK, but I have never had a positive experience with it, and have found starshotting>punishing the Dair to be much better for me. I don't know if that's because of my lack of mastery over Lucario's blue-balls however.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I enjoy having Lucario's power just to have a GOOD projectile. I don't really wavebounce w/ it though. It's nice being able to spit them under the stage though so....it's where or not you can stand teh fur in your mouth after you spit Lucario out.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He's really not that tough to inhale IMO...

That being said, I dunno, it seems kind of laggy as a projectile, and as a result easily avoided/hard to follow up, but maybe the problem is that I keep trying to use it like I would Mario's fireballs (AKA cause a reaction, then punish that reaction).

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
When fully charged, it can be a kill move. That or just spamming BAS. That's "Baby Aura Spheres" in Lucario board terms. Guess I did learn something.

Hey, does anyone know how the Aura ability affects Kirby? Do his AS remain the weakest, the strongest, however powerful Lucario's were when he was swallowed, etc.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
When fully charged, it can be a kill move. That or just spamming BAS. That's "Baby Aura Spheres" in Lucario board terms. Guess I did learn something.

Hey, does anyone know how the Aura ability affects Kirby? Do his AS remain the weakest, the strongest, however powerful Lucario's were when he was swallowed, etc.
Kirby's aura powers equal the ones of a lucario on equal stocks and at 100%

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned somewhere but the Final Cutter is interesting (Psuedo) Projectile. I used it on Delfino Plaza and I had a little interesting thing happen. The stage landed on top of that Sun Sprite tower thing. I did my Final Cutter on the left side of the upside down semi-circular arch and the Final Cutter Beam kind of went through the floor and continued onto the platform sticking out of the left side of the tower. It is kind of hard to explain but I will try to upload a picture of it (if I remember) seeing as how it shouldn't be hard to replicate. It reminded me of Kirby's Final Cutter when used on the Fire transformation of Pokemon Stadium 1. Y'know, when you use it close to the burning tree on the left side, you can have the Final Cutter Beam go through the tree and out it's right side.

I'm kind of hard in trying to paint a picture, I know. :laugh:

It's very interesting to see the path the Final Cutter Beam takes when used on certian slopes and where you land. I think it should be something Kirbys should use a little bit more since it refreshes a move. You just need to really space it well. That and it would help if there was a platform above you (ledge helps, too ;)) to mindgame your opponent where you will land and launch the beam. Sometimes they might just jump into the beam. Every little bit of % helps!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kirby's aura powers equal the ones of a lucario on equal stocks and at 100%
I thought it was 40%? I'm pretty certain it's not 100.

Also MikeKirby, this happens on a lot of other stages too, most notably Pictochat and PS1. Final Cutter follows the path of the floor, and has transcendant priority and as a result goes through walls and such.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@ MikeKirby- 'Don't use FC' is the universal Kirby boards dictum. I agree with you though, that with perfect spacing and some good DI-ing that FC can be useful. In addition to certain stages it can be fun/ good for attacking without being in danger (PS1 burning tree, YI on the tilted areas, etc., etc.).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not saying it doesn't have uses, just saying it doesn't have uses on flat, unobstructed terrain against a grounded opponent with decent reaction time.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
What are my best options against Ikes? I know angled FTilt is good against their FAir, and I can FThrow-UAir-Fthrow-Dair for a good 30%, but other than that, I don't have much.

Help?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What are my best options against Ikes? I know angled FTilt is good against their FAir, and I can FThrow-UAir-Fthrow-Dair for a good 30%, but other than that, I don't have much.

Help?
Fthrow>uair>fthrow>dair? You should know, it's not a guaranteed ombo... You should try fthrow>uair>reverse utilt>bair, it puts Ike in a bad position, and if you knock him offstage, it's gimping time!

When Ike's offstage, get ready to dair him. A single hit will kill him... If you can't, then go for bairs and push him farther away. Just make sure he has a lot of trouble going back on-stage! If you try edgehogging, make sure you get up from the ledge as slow as possible so that you outlast Ike and he falls to his doom.

On-stage, you should keep doing your angled ftilts, and throw in a LOT of shieldgrabs. You can also mix it up by rolling behing him and utilting, since he doesn't have any 'combo breakers' you can chain utilts to a bair for a decent amount of %. Try not to dash attack, since he can outrange you easily. Try not to jab either, since he can also outrange it with kill moves. So, stick to grabs, tilts and aerials (like always), and not jabs nor dash attack... And only smash to kill him, or to throw him offstage so you can gimp him.

In the air, airdodge through his predictable attacks, then land and hit him. Don't try beating anything he throws at you, since he has way more range than you. Unless you know you're gonna hit him, or you're in the middle of a string, don't challenge his aerials with your own. Still, if he's not doing an aerial, by all means jump in and attack to your heart's content!

All of Kirby's grabs are good here. Fthrow and it's normal combos... Uthrow puts him in the air and will kill him if he shields all of your kill moves... Dthrow combos into utilt since he falls fast, and bthrow combos into uair at low/mid %s.

So, yeah. Hope it helps and gives you an idea of what to do and what not to do. Remember: it's better to get hit by a full Ike Jab combo or by a grab, than to get hit by a kill move of his. And airdodge to evade his attacks!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> Ike is annoying. Gimping him is your best option. When on the stage, use FFBair as defensive option and uptilt the mess ouutta him to keep him in the air. Lots of grabs.

I'll edit this post later for better advice./

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Powershielding should go without saying. Shouldn't you always be trying to powershield, anyway? ;)

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys i was wondering. Did everyone notice that when you land with Kirby in to the ground, Kirby will release a little star on the top of his head? I been testing this, but it seems that i cannot get it when i land with a down air, such a shame.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I love it everytime Kirby spawns a star! It was one of the first things I noticed about the little guy. :bee: I haven't really played around with it much but all I can think of off the top of my head right now is Kirby's land canceled N-air spawns a star.

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
I love it everytime Kirby spawns a star! It was one of the first things I noticed about the little guy. :bee: I haven't really played around with it much but all I can think of off the top of my head right now is Kirby's land canceled N-air spawns a star.
I think i will put something up later regarding this issue.

Top Bottom