• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

| Big D |

Smash Master
You win this round, but Dedede and his army will be back to take over your land! Dedede has already slaughtered Donkey Kong, and his royal servant Meta Knight will take care of all the dirty work.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Skidd, do you even understand competitive strikers charged? A competitve game against 2 competitive players is a test to see who can score the last goal, when every goal is scored about 5 seconds after the last.

SKidd

Smash Master
Skidd, do you even understand competitive strikers charged? A competitve game against 2 competitive players is a test to see who can score the last goal, when every goal is scored about 5 seconds after the last.
What are you talking about?

This is why we use first to 7.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Just so everybody's aware, Unity banning MK does not necessarily mean we will be banning him here as well. This is a pretty big decision, and it's a question we'll need to answer on our own terms. I would like to hear what people think about this, but as T-block said, please keep it civil.

:005:

Kantrip

Kantplay
So Unity made its decision, eh?

I guess this means I'm picking up metaknight. Now that he's banned, he will be the least used competitive character. Who wouldn't wanna be unique AND good?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Overall, yeah definitely.

In NA tourneys, though, I think MK will be banned in most, if not all places through the Unity Ruleset. This will mean that using MK in NA tourneys will make you incredibly unique.

It depends on our decision as a region: whether or not to adapt the Unity Ruleset.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I think we should do some tourneys of each, or something.

Like every second monthly is non-unity and has mk legal. Every other monthly uses Unity. Phoenix events would use Unity.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The thing is though, WA (geographically, our closest competition) will likely be keeping MK legal. MK isn't even dominant here, and we'd be making a conscious decision to deprive ourselves of what little MU experience we get here, so when we do compete in the states, we're at a disadvantage.

Just because it's good for the majority doesn't make it good for us.

:005:

Kantrip

Kantplay
This is a conundrum.

Honestly, BC is in quite a dilemma, because we will lose players either way we go about this, unless we run both rulesets.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
I don't think we should keep it just because our neighbors of the south are. We don't need unnecessary MU experience that wont be used anyone but 2 places. Plus it would almost ruin the odds of a lot of people coming to BC for a tourney, if we are one of the only ones who keep MK. And the ones who would come, would all be MK players, so that they could use him.

Crisis

Smash Ace
Don't know if I like this or not...

Wonder what they'll do with internationals after apex. Since communities outside NA aren't very mk dominant and they probably won't ban him there.

There's no real reason to ban mk in our community aside from complying with unity, when mks aren't the ones dominating the scene.

As for people coming to our tournaments from OoP, I don't see why we can't change the rules to whatever the majority wants. Unity or not.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well there's plenty of time to make a decision, right? Worst case we can just flip a coin. :)

Captain L

Smash Champion
Wow I stay off smashboards for like 3 days and all of a sudden mk is banned in unity.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Anyways, back to being serious (or at least as serious as I can be)...

The ban is officially happening on January 9th. I don't know what you guys have planned tournament-wise (I assume one tournament each month... hence monthly), but we could always do, say, October legal, November banned (testing it out), December legal, January legal (final goodbye?), February banned, and see what the community thinks of a MK banned tournament, since they will have had two tournaments with the ban in effect.

I'm not saying we must use this schedule, but I was just giving an example. I'm sure you all know what I am trying to say.

However, I do think that what Washington decides to do should not affect our decision what-so-ever. I don't want to sound mean or anything saying this, but just because we have 3-5 people who attend tournaments in Washington, doesn't mean that we should change our entire ruleset so that they can learn one match-up. It's not fair for the rest of the community if we want to ban him. If necessary, you can always add a clause in our ruleset saying "if the opponent agrees, Meta Knight can be used".

Something else I think we could always try is testing a... obscure (?) rule: in a best-of-3 set, a player may only use MK only once in that set (any game he chooses, it could be game 1, his opponent's counterpick, whenever), and in a best-of-5 set, a player may only use MK up to 2 times (once again, any games of the set at his choice). This way, people can still use Meta Knight, so MK players can still use him. However, more than 50% of the games in a set will involve a player not able to use MK, so people who do not wish to face MK can win all the non-MK games and still win the set.

Thinking about it, I actually think this might be an interesting rule to try out. Doing it this way, Ben may not quit because of a MK ban, since he used to use Snake, and I assume he can still use other characters well enough, and people who are pro-ban, like me, won't quit because even if we refuse to play against MK completely, we can still win the set.

Well, there are a few thoughts. What are your guys's opinions?

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Well, we could always do a "Both players much agree" rule for using MK in a set. I'd wanna follow the Unity rules as close as possible, but that's just me. I don't want the ban, but I will learn to live with it.

Top Bottom