• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

john

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
LOL

good stuff phanna...

At least i have a girlfriend
and i dont own this game are my favorite

o and u play this game 2 much..
JOHNS!!!

ive think ive had everyone one of those said 2 me..

Ive said a couple -_-

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't understand some johns...

"Good Match"

I have no idea how this could EVER possibly be a bad thing to say to someone. There is absolutely nothing unsportsmanlike or negative whatsoever about saying "Good Match" to someone. That is like saying that shaking your opponents hand after a match is bad sportsmanship.

Also, what about things that actually are real reasons... you can't actually expect a person to just accept completely ridiculous things. If your controller exploded in your hand and your hands were destroyed from it and you say that's why you lost...thats a perfectly valid statement.

In any case most johns people give are total bull but there is always the occasional understandable thing that no person in their right mind could find not to protest about.

If someone wants to go ahead and tell me if I have the idea of what johns are wrong then thats cool but from what it seems the consensus is that no matter what, saying that you win or lose because of ANYTHING is somehow negative and unsportsmanlike.

hugQ Cortex

Master
Also, what about things that actually are real reasons... you can't actually expect a person to just accept completely ridiculous things. If your controller exploded in your hand and your hands were destroyed from it and you say that's why you lost...thats a perfectly valid statement.
I lol'd hard.

Afo

Smash Apprentice
LOL .. great list phanna, now no one is safe from making johns :laugh::laugh:

I use shiek johns (gotta hate her)

Also I have a friend who starts to suicide if I am pwning him to bad in a match.... suicide johns??

Blueballs johns?? (not sure why but it just came to mind)

Jammer

Smash Lord
Apparently, I john all the time.

I use "Sportsmanship Johns" a lot. Is that okay? I thought it was, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I think he means the ones like, "I suck" and stuff, cause that's just being negative and it will never let you get better at the game. (or something like that)
Well, I'm guessing I'm about a slightly above average player among all the people who actively post on the boards. When I'm playing someone better than me, and they're acting all stupid because they're winning, I'll usually say something like, "Ok, I get it. I know I'm not amazing. Get over it."

Would that be alright?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
idk if this is a john but i had to make my friend who is a non SHFFLER WDER mind gamer ect win in order for him to leave my house. he has no cerfew.:laugh::chuckle:

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
There are differences, small though they may be, between reasons and excuses. It's just important to be realistic about what happened in the game. If peach just pulled 3 stitchfaces, then she got lucky. Simple as that.

Some people, actually most people, john when they shouldn't- when it was actually their fault they lost, or the things they're saying are just completely false. I like to think that when I john, though, it's for legitimate reasons, as opposed to bullshlt excuses. I think the definition/examples of johns here is a bit too broad. Especially the ones where you compliment your opponent. Those aren't johns...

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
You forgot one of the most important johns - staying completely silent at the end of a match and saying nothing to your opponent and showing no facial expressions or signs whatsoever. It's a john that's commonly overlooked, though, since most people usually do something or say something when they lose.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
You should add a "everyone saw me take my hand off the controller, and it made me walk off the ledge and it turned my n-airs into directional oriented aerials." john.

That happened to me :X

At my first and only OOS tourney thus far.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I remember I was playing my uncle, and I was not very good at the time. He was Fox and I was Falco, and he was just spamming up-B throughout the entire match. Someone walked in front of me, but not him, and I johnned about it (although that is rather unfair). It was a timed match, and I thought I lost, so I said something like "It doesn't count because I lost a life when she walked in front of me."

I was surprised to find that I had won. I felt like an idiot--making excuses for losing when I actually won. I think that experience cured me of my johnnings.

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
I remember I was playing my uncle, and I was not very good at the time. He was Fox and I was Falco, and he was just spamming up-B throughout the entire match. Someone walked in front of me, but not him, and I johnned about it (although that is rather unfair). It was a timed match, and I thought I lost, so I said something like "It doesn't count because I lost a life when she walked in front of me."

I was surprised to find that I had won. I felt like an idiot--making excuses for losing when I actually won. I think that experience cured me of my johnnings.
An UNCLE that plays Smash? Dude, if that's not lucky, I don't know what is.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Lajin said:
In conclusion, johns make you look as if you suck and your complete fail at this game. Nobody likes someone who johns anyways. It does'nt matter HOW logical or credible the john may seem, they are all in the same pool of equal failure. It does'nt matter if someone walks up to you and punches you in the face, and you lost the match because you got punched in the face. ITS STILL A JOHN if you blame that as the reason you lost. If someone is about to punch you in the face, then ****ing dodge his *** and win the **** match. No johns man. Johns make you fail at life.

Done.
Too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom