• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

john

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
is there an actual way of say something in competition unless johnning?

Smash Master
I realize it's pretty much all a joke at this point

"My flight was delayed so I missed the tournament"
"No johns!"

but I still don't like the sportsmanship johns list. Like, the whole point of a john is to avoid acknowledging that you are bad and/or your opponent is good. Saying you lost because you suck or your opponent is good is actually the antithesis of johning. It's admitting the real reason you lost (supposedly.)

joeplicate

Smash Master
well it's kind of cheating yourself out of a fair shot, or putting your opponent on a pedestal when they're actually a lot closer to you

"i was playing bad" means that you sold yourself into a bad mood and you're acknowledging it (and blaming your loss on it to an extent)
JOHNS

"you're too good man" indicates that at some point you stopped trying because you had either built up your opponent as unbeatable in your mind, or didn't think that it would be appropriate for yourself to beat this person yet (wtf i can't beat zhu, he's a monster and i suck) so you ended up selling yourself short
JOHNS

it's just all different things you can do to be in a bad mental spot

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well it's kind of cheating yourself out of a fair shot, or putting your opponent on a pedestal when they're actually a lot closer to you

"i was playing bad" means that you sold yourself into a bad mood and you're acknowledging it (and blaming your loss on it to an extent)
JOHNS

"you're too good man" indicates that at some point you stopped trying because you had either built up your opponent as unbeatable in your mind, or didn't think that it would be appropriate for yourself to beat this person yet (wtf i can't beat zhu, he's a monster and i suck) so you ended up selling yourself short
JOHNS

it's just all different things you can do to be in a bad mental spot
Oh wow, I never thought of it like that, but it makes alot of sense.

Tenouh

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me in extremely vivid detail how "youre too good" is a john? me and my friend had over an hour of discussion time put into this argument, and I would like to know exactly how that is a john. (I believe it IS a john)

Jonas

Smash Champion
"You're too good" implies that "I had no chance of beating you" which further leads to "I might as well stop trying to be good". By saying that somebody who beat you is "too good" you ignore the fact that it's your job to perform well. It's like saying "it's your fault that I lost because you practiced a lot, not my fault for not practicing enough".

Also

JOHNS

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
u can say you are to good as a compliment. it does not mean u stopped trying EX: you were so good no matter what i did i just couldn't beat you." now some might say this is a John b/c it takes away from the victory but i disagree i think this shows acknowledgment of superior skill which was recognized by the lesser opponent. so i feel this is not a john but a compliment. i often feel a John would be more negative or refuse to accept the Superior player. a EX of this would be if u got your *** wooped and then u said something like well u won this time but we are about equal (which clearly is not true)

I also feel that there re some others on this list which are not necessarily johns and are more about contexts if they are johns at all but i need sleep b/c i have a final in a couple of hours so i will cover this later.

But before i go i just want to say the list is pretty amazing since there are so many that are spot on. lol i saw at least 10 of them that i got this one guy to say to me after a bunch of matches.

o and also i was johned at when this same guy then compared me to a lesser player who is not very good just b/c he could not beat me. so i suggest maybe adding "you suck you play just like..." as a john on the list

Jonas

Smash Champion
It can be a compliment, but as soon as you attempt to use it to explain why you lost, it becomes a john. If you say it to someone who just beat you, it's a john.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Replace "You're too good." with "You're very good." and you've got a compliment, rather than a john.

Tenouh

Smash Rookie
"You're too good" implies that "I had no chance of beating you" which further leads to "I might as well stop trying to be good". By saying that somebody who beat you is "too good" you ignore the fact that it's your job to perform well. It's like saying "it's your fault that I lost because you practiced a lot, not my fault for not practicing enough".

Also
But can you explain as to how this relates to the definition of john? My friend believes that ackowledging the difference in skill level is not a john, because saying "youre too good" doesn't detract validity from the competition since you're only saying in a way, there IS a difference in skill level, which is the sole factor (or the most important one) that contributes to competition.

Zodiac

Smash Master
But can you explain as to how this relates to the definition of john? My friend believes that ackowledging the difference in skill level is not a john, because saying "youre too good" doesn't detract validity from the competition since you're only saying in a way, there IS a difference in skill level, which is the sole factor (or the most important one) that contributes to competition.
For the most part, its just a joke. If someone breaks there arm in the middle of a tournament (Unlikley) and they have to drop out, you will hear people tell them "No johns" most of these johns are jokes, a lot of them people actually say

Jonas

Smash Champion
Replace "You're too good." with "You're very good." and you've got a compliment, rather than a john.
No really. It still falls under the category of "I wouldn't be able to win no matter what I try".

"You are better than I am" is neither a john nor a compliment. It's just a statement like "A > B". However, it depends on the context. If you say it after losing a match, you might as well have gone on to say "you are better than I am, so I lost". Then it's no longer just a statement, it's also an exuse for losing.
But yeah, as Zodiac said, it's mostly a joke. You can't really say ANYTHING after a match without johning. Things like cold fingers, using a broken controller (that is actually broken), someone talking to you etc. may actually be valid, but they're still johns, and we don't wanna hear them :)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Hm, I see, I guess for the most part it depends on when you say it. 99% of things said after a LOSS is a john D:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Even in 2017, this list holds true. Congratulations to anyone who stumblrs across this gold mine. This man predicted the future of the smash johning meta.

ohokayalright

Smash Rookie
the nature of this term is ridiculous and i wonder if anyone else has always noticed this as well. it can really only be used in the context of calling someone out for making excuses. it seems inescapably negative and non-supportive. from a competitive frame of mind, the only reason for losing boils down to under-performing. and you could always make sure to not ask someone why they lost so that you don't hear excuses from them. nobody can speak their way into winning, or speak their way out of losing. its entirely based on how they play. not what they say. always. winning is objective. peoples opinions are subjective. and any person can develop the skill to win. and its never going to have anything to do with what comes out of their mouth. just offer them advice or just don't listen to them and move on. and if you've lost and feel like you could have won, you have to either make the w happen next time or move on with your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom