• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is melee the most technical game?

XSkyShadowX

Smash Apprentice
this question has been in my head for a while now.. some people say MVC2 or w.e is as technical but i dont see how it is? yea its Fast paste but its not THAT technical. and some people pointed the finger towards the tekken games.. what do you guys think about melee? is it the most technical game out there? i mean just imagine how many Imputs per minute a technical fox player like Dark or S.W or myself ;) does.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Marvel 2s definitly on par (I'm pretty damn sure you don't know how to fly un fly with Sent) and Guilty Gears harder.

Since you said most technical GAME and not FIGHTING GAME then add SC2.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Its pretty damn close, I hear constantly that melee and mvc2 are the two most technical fighting games out there.

rhan

Smash Hero
Marvel 2s definitly on par (I'm pretty damn sure you don't know how to fly un fly with Sent) and Guilty Gears harder.

Since you said most technical GAME and not FIGHTING GAME then add SC2.
Assuming that meant Starcraft 2. Brood War is definitly more technical. SC2 made things easier.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
eh, i don't think you can state that theres a tech that takes that long no matter what, i guarantee there's people proving otherwise. as for 'easily' i don't see your proof/source in that. guilty gear may be technical but as a game itself it isn't that fast paced. and with that makes it overall slower, i can't agree with you.

also these games are all different kinds of technical, it's hard to simply state which is more techy. esp. something like melee to guilty gear.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Assuming that meant Starcraft 2. Brood War is definitly more technical. SC2 made things easier.
I'm not really in to games like that, my mistake.

eh, i don't think you can state that theres a tech that takes that long no matter what, i guarantee there's people proving otherwise. as for 'easily' i don't see your proof/source in that. guilty gear may be technical but as a game itself it isn't that fast paced. and with that makes it overall slower, i can't agree with you.

also these games are all different kinds of technical, it's hard to simply state which is more techy. esp. something like melee to guilty gear.
You maybe don't agree with me, but the entire FG community KNOWS that GGAC is the hardest FG. The only game thats on par is VF (although I can't speak for that cause i don't play 3D fighters). And GGAC is extremly fast past. idk what you're talking about.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I'm not really in to games like that, my mistake.

You maybe don't agree with me, but the entire FG community KNOWS that GGAC is the hardest FG. The only game thats on par is VF (although I can't speak for that cause i don't play 3D fighters). And GGAC is extremly fast past. idk what you're talking about.
obviously the entire community backs their own game.

everyone in GGAC feels incredibly heavy. you may consider it fast but watching it in comparison to an actual fast VS game, or melee, it looks slow. it may have fast rhythms for combos and techs but that doesn't mean the game itself is that fast.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You gotta consider how fast Melee and Marvel are though. They're FAST. GGAC is fast as **** too, it's definitly not slow, but it ain't as fast as Marvel.

Most people settle on VF3, GGAC, MvC2, and Melee (if people aren't being elitists). I've seen 3S tossed around but I honestly don't know why.

And GG is hard because of the execution of your hands not the speed of your hands. IDK hard = technical in my book.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
gunz but only way back, when you could quad butterfly

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Melee is my favorite technical game. I love it when noobs see me play are liek : "omg your sucha button slammer how do u win"

Star craft 2 on a technical level is a joke.

Haven't play MVC2, but it looks fun, same for guility gear

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
MvC2 is insane. Lookup how to do the AT's you can WD in that game as well. Everything in the game is cancelable so there are infinite possibilities. Look up how to super jump cancel combo with Magneto.

rhan

Smash Hero
Melee is my favorite technical game. I love it when noobs see me play are liek : "omg your sucha button slammer how do u win"

Star craft 2 on a technical level is a joke.

Haven't play MVC2, but it looks fun, same for guility gear
Wings of Liberty is technical. But just not as technical as Brood War because they made things easier in some aspects that crippled most players (puting workers on the mineral line, the drone/unit rally split, etc.). There are still apects of the game that makes it technical. Micro and the new mechanics like Warp gates, reactors/tech labs, larva and creep spread, etc.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
MvC2 is insane. Lookup how to do the AT's you can WD in that game as well. Everything in the game is cancelable so there are infinite possibilities. Look up how to super jump cancel combo with Magneto.
SJ cancel combos? You can do those with anyone, and they're easy as ****. lol

Look up rom or something.

And before someone brings up infinites, Magnetos normally go for the reset and IM is the only character that infinites all of the time.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Mvc2 and guilty are two really technical 2d fighters

starcraft brood war is probably the most technical game

but isn't counter-strike really technical too? getting good at shooting is really ***ing hard in that game

so it kinda just depends on what technical means

melees still really ****ing technical and complex tho

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Counterstrike (1.6 and esp. Source) isn't very technical. Movement, positioning, and good teamwork is more important. Headshotting becomes second nature.

SCBW is extremely technical, but a lot of the principles that you have in SCBW (drone splitting, magic boxing/stacking, terran micro, manual surrounds) you can also apply in SC2. It's not as necessary because of the AI, but the pathing is SC2 is still pretty bad and if you have people with equal amounts of economic management (macro), the one with the greater micro is very apparent. Then again, you have ridiculous people like Flash with average APMs of 300 with spikes in the 1000s during times of duress.

MvC2 is really technical, but I think Melee is up on the list of most technical games out there. MvC2, GG, Melee, SCBW all require ridiculous dexterity to get the most from each game.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Yeah I ment to say rom infinite but I forgot what it was called. Tons of characters have infinites. IDK MvC2 and Melee for me.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Mvc2 and guilty are two really technical 2d fighters

starcraft brood war is probably the most technical game

but isn't counter-strike really technical too? getting good at shooting is really ***ing hard in that game

so it kinda just depends on what technical means

melees still really ****ing technical and complex tho
If you're going shooters you have to say Quake.

Aiming is part tech skill part prediction, but anyway for Quake you have to learn how to aim Lightning Gun, Rail Gun, Rockets and even Plasma Gun which are all very different.

That's not even mentioning jumping/movement, which is incredibly important. You have to know how to strafe jump really well to be good.

It's definitely way more than Counter-Strike.

D

Deleted member

technical:

1. sc:bw absolutely no question, the amount of finesse and speed u need is ridiculous and at highest levels every single edge/shortcut counts

marvel2/ guiltygear

melee/quake/sf3

50.sc2 (probably being generous, sc2 is a huge joke compared to sc1)
350000. brawl
803181. mvc3

--

Zone

Smash Champion
Wings of Liberty is technical. But just not as technical as Brood War because they made things easier in some aspects that crippled most players (puting workers on the mineral line, the drone/unit rally split, etc.). There are still apects of the game that makes it technical. Micro and the new mechanics like Warp gates, reactors/tech labs, larva and creep spread, etc.
^what rhan said. Except Starcraft 2 technical skill is not a joke. Maybe if you're diamond. But if you wanna be a
Pro you need to average alot higher than some of what even fox does completely in control. When you get hit in melée your apm drops, not the case in sc2. NaDa averages like 400 apm. Sure at the start it's useless spam clicking much like a fox spamming tech between stocks. But once the game gets going NaDa's eyes are everywhere he rarely misses something that enters his range of vision because of this speed.

D

Deleted member

^what rhan said. Except Starcraft 2 technical skill is not a joke. Maybe if you're diamond. But if you wanna be a
Pro you need to average alot higher than some of what even fox does completely in control. When you get hit in melée your apm drops, not the case in sc2. NaDa averages like 400 apm. Sure at the start it's useless spam clicking much like a fox spamming tech between stocks. But once the game gets going NaDa's eyes are everywhere he rarely misses something that enters his range of vision because of this speed.
by itself its not a joke

compare to sc1 where its infinitely harder

its a joke

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
gunz but only way back, when you could quad butterfly
i miss these days.

Lol I remember ijji banning monk for being mad technical. **** was funny.

also stuff like double half-step were much harder than most of what you can to in smash lol.

Walt

Smash Ace
You gotta consider how fast Melee and Marvel are though. They're FAST. GGAC is fast as **** too, it's definitly not slow, but it ain't as fast as Marvel.

Most people settle on VF3, GGAC, MvC2, and Melee (if people aren't being elitists). I've seen 3S tossed around but I honestly don't know why.

And GG is hard because of the execution of your hands not the speed of your hands. IDK hard = technical in my book.
GG still requires fast hand speed. Doing things like Slayer's baskdash jump cancel bite loop infinite in GGX2 was hitting back back>jump>half circle back hard slash in 4 frames. There are also things like 1 frame jumps to get out of some characters ground traps which on the first frame of jumping you hit back+punch+kick for faultless defense to cancel your 4 frame jump animation so you get off the ground faster and a lot of people just do that every time they jump and it's used to start combos earlier too.

but I play Potemkin who requires like no tech skill lol.

Top Bottom