• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is melee the most technical game?

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
I love how when Docs/Luigis/Marios use down-b to recover they would weirdly squeeze their controllers into their lap, mashing the b button like crazy while making the funniest face and breathe really loud during the process and when the either fail or succeed the recovery, they return to normal within a split second and can't for the life of them remember what they did just a second ago.
it's some kind of mushroom kingdom trance or whatever.
true story

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
I masturbate lefty actually. Or I just pork your mom. I got my mad mashing skills from hours upon hours of practice as well as daily isometric strength training.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I would say that the only game that out does melee in technicality and speed of input required is Guilty Gear XX. Marvel 2 is not really as technical, and your options are greatly limited compared to Melee. Marvel 3 even less so.

Who's the Gladfly?

Smash Rookie
Really a charcter is only as techincal as you make them like ice climbers could wd, grab game, recovery and simple desynces or they could Be hardcore with extreme unheard of tech skill but i think the balnce in tactics or mindgames is higher than the value of extreme tech skill. But fox is much more techincal because of how hard he is hit so he cant risk as much for a grab.

But for other games I think the lack of flexible tech skill that always must adapt highly limits the tech skill of non smash games however its likly i'm highly biase for lack of playing non smash games seriously.
:phone:

Who's the Gladfly?

Smash Rookie
Whats so hard about it? I love it but as far as tech skill besides maybe movement and aim all i know about it walking around in outerspace and choking them as you zap people.

Ive watched a number of how to play vids for it looking around i havent seen things more extreme than general stuff show me.

Also is it just me or is like picking the sniper and like throw out a turret and take cover or trying to flank them really good? And if they hide force them out with a nade. Like at higher levels is that kind of spacing control used? Ive only played with my brother and botsso yeah : /
:phone:

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
You've obviously never snaked on rainbow road.

edit: cod runs on a quake engine. strafe jumping is in there as well. also bounces. and elevators. increased jump height based on your fps, etc.

that was a defrag movie correct? Do people play like that in competitive play? Pretty cool. Or is it more like the equivalent of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdze4jcbE7E

very nice solo run on killhouse. I'm pissed that later cods don't have this kind of stuff. Treyarch literally stuck invisible walls around practically everything, even stuff you could stand on irl rather than glitchy surfaces. Kind of ruins the game for me. It's like, ooh, a rock, I want to jump on that and then you just stop mid air next to it. So ugly. Not to mention the massive QS nerf.

I brought up Halo 2 because I sort of felt it was the only fps where button combinations mean something. Things like bxring, and infamously quad shotting (RRXYYRRX). The quad in itself is pretty easy, it's actually hitting someone with all four shots that's freaking hard.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
just because you're a mario kart scrub doesn't mean everyone is. I had like 4000 wins 25 losses on wifi. all I did was snake with dry bones every race. not too hard. Wave dashing took me about a week to get down, snaking like 2 hours.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Mario kart DS is not that technical. Snaking is literally the only technical skill in that game and it is easier than wavedashing.
I've already said once that mkds wasn't that technical (and although it was back in 06 I was among the top players for a while, peaking as #1 in TTs for a mere single day :p), but it is far and away much harder than wavedashing, lol. Snaking per say of course isn't that hard, but it is far harder to master (Both spaced/precise ssmts and fast PRBing) than to master wavedashing. Just take a look at how much times have improved over the years, and as you said the primary technical skill here is related to snaking (and it is this more than strategy that has developed - look at how little mkw has improved)

There is absolutely no way you mastered snaking in two days, and especially not if it took you a full week to get wavedashing down. I started playing smash before mkds (less gaming experience) and yet I had much more ease learning that. Even if some people for some reason have trouble with wavedashing (like suddenly having to think of different methods/two buttons to do it oos), it will never be harder to master than to master snaking in mkds, a technique that pretty much carries that game alone.

Edit: If you want another comparison you can go ahead and find azen's video of mkds in its very early state where he played. Go ahead and compare that to the current top players. Then go back to the first videos of him wavedashing and compare it to wavedashing today.

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
lol I was about 400 and 2 when I stopped. I got annoyed because people kept quitting. I had to start deliberately letting people win a race and also not snake half the time, or they just dropped. I think the other thing I started doing was picking ****ty karts and still snaking with them, like daisy's comet. Thing had an amazing drift if you just wanted a drift, but it was the most pain in the *** to snake with.

edit: as to which was the best to snake with, I kind of liked the egg cart better. Dry bones tank was mad easy, but it didn't have a high enough top speed.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Being able to PRB would be part of mastering snaking. Afterall PRB is just a glitch that happens when you snake without dropping topspeed.

BEES

Smash Lord
Snaking in double dash is harder. 3 taps to get the blue, and the turning circle narrows with each tap if you go past the neutral position each time.

Snaking in MKWii is only practical for karts, which have a disadvantage against the best bikes online, and it doesn't get the utility it used to.

Top Bottom