• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is melee the most technical game?

Stev

Smash Ace
but isn't counter-strike really technical too? getting good at shooting is really ***ing hard in that game
So here's the thing about CS. It's kinda true that HSing becomes second nature, but you have to put a LOT of work into it to get it to that stage. I used to play competitively and I would have to deathmatch like half an hour to an hour a day to stay consistant. When you play on different levels, the height of the head is different due to where they're standing, so you have to get used to that as well. If you get up into really high level play, people don't miss shots. I found that some people were naturally more gifted at this than I was. However, strats and smart play are much more important and can easily make up for your "lack of skill" at aiming

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
GG still requires fast hand speed. Doing things like Slayer's baskdash jump cancel bite loop infinite in GGX2 was hitting back back>jump>half circle back hard slash in 4 frames. There are also things like 1 frame jumps to get out of some characters ground traps which on the first frame of jumping you hit back+punch+kick for faultless defense to cancel your 4 frame jump animation so you get off the ground faster and a lot of people just do that every time they jump and it's used to start combos earlier too.

but I play Potemkin who requires like no tech skill lol.
Damn you, that big *** is the whole reason I quit Chipp.

Walt

Smash Ace
whaaaaat. Chipp v Pot is like 50-50, Chipp just has to work harder than Pot. Constantly crossing me over with teleports or running jumps removes my charge for hammerfall and your amazing sweep sets up into gamma blade OTG shenanigans and if I whiff like anything you can super me. But at the same time if I hit you like 3 times you're dead haha.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Mvc2 and guilty are two really technical 2d fighters

starcraft brood war is probably the most technical game

but isn't counter-strike really technical too? getting good at shooting is really ***ing hard in that game

so it kinda just depends on what technical means

melees still really ****ing technical and complex tho
Using a mouse....easy ****. Everyone knows realistically no one can aim that well

Using a gamepad on high sensitivity.....is true skill, but everyone knows that when your use a gamepad against the ol' mouse and keyboard. Your gonna ***** period. I managed to score high with a gamepad on a fps online, but that was a while ago. I don't usually play fps anymore besides on console. Though I hate auto aim **** sucks

Technical Games

* UT99
* Any game with rocket jumping in it that involves you just using a rocket launcher to just get through some crazy *** map. For ex. any Doom wad like the voidjump.wad, rjspace.wad, and masterjumps5.wad.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
whaaaaat. Chipp v Pot is like 50-50, Chipp just has to work harder than Pot. Constantly crossing me over with teleports or running jumps removes my charge for hammerfall and your amazing sweep sets up into gamma blade OTG shenanigans and if I whiff like anything you can super me. But at the same time if I hit you like 3 times you're dead haha.
That's the reason I quit him, I'm not good enough to avoid Pot, and he ***** me cuz Chipp has stamina like a *****. I might switch back too Faust. Idk he's not really my style.

1337h4xx0r

Smash Apprentice
Melee is definitely not the most technical game. I don't know about other fighters, since the only fighter I play is Melee, but Star Wars Battlefront 2 requires ridiculous tech skill (at least in Mos Eisley assault). Super Mario 64 is also completely insane when it comes to speedruns. Some of the backward long jumps required to do a 0 star run are impossible without TAS.

vZakat

Half Genie
Guilty Gear is the hardest fighting game ever. Easily. There's a tech with I-no that takes a MINIMUM of a year to learn.
I'm assuming you're talking about HCL ->airdash? It's been 9 months and I'm still not consistent with it. v_v

As far as games no one has brought up yet, Super metroid takes a ridiculous amount tech skill when speed running.

Tetris Attack/ Puzzle league is in my opinion the most technical puzzle game having several techniques that are 1 or 2 frames (depending on the version).

Walt

Smash Ace
F-Zero GX is a weird game that could maybe be included, you don't have to be technical exactly but you do have to be extremely precise with the control stick and using the side-attack trick to gain speed which usually gets you killed.

Any of the GG players know who Sims/STenSatsu/Honnou are? They're all good friends of mine. Well Sims and STen are I never get to hang out with Honnou since he lives on the other side of The Bay.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
F-Zero GX is a weird game that could maybe be included, you don't have to be technical exactly but you do have to be extremely precise with the control stick and using the side-attack trick to gain speed which usually gets you killed.

Any of the GG players know who Sims/STenSatsu/Honnou are? They're all good friends of mine. Well Sims and STen are I never get to hang out with Honnou since he lives on the other side of The Bay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVd6ZgsdDaU&feature=related

so crazy

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
Just watched some clips of Justin Wong in MvC2. Insanely fast.

But I would also say Melee too.

joeplicate

Smash Master
dude

tiny melee ****s on melee for most competitive game
if you've ever tried it, it's ridiculous

and don't even get me started on metal boxes
there's WORLDS of melee games more technical than melee

Signia

Smash Lord
None of the major 3D fighting games (Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur) are that technical. There's just a lot of **** you gotta know. Frame data, hit levels, and move properties are very important and move lists are much longer than in 2D fighters. Movement techniques and option selects can be hard, but nothing prohibitively difficult.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9K7QZl2Lzg

No. Smash is not that hard. You all just make it out to be. There are technical things about smash, but it's mostly knowing what options you have in a certain situation is much more important. Sure you might require some tech skill to be able to do those options, but the majority of it is not that hard.

There's some crazy frame specific stuff, but only a few people are able to pull those things off in tournament. Being able to be consistently technical in tournament is very hard, it's why it's hard to win with fox.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
technical:

1. sc:bw absolutely no question, the amount of finesse and speed u need is ridiculous and at highest levels every single edge/shortcut counts

marvel2/ guiltygear

melee/quake/sf3

50.sc2 (probably being generous, sc2 is a huge joke compared to sc1)
350000. brawl
803181. mvc3

--
Is mvc3 really that easy?

.... it looks so fun too. =/

Also yea SC:BW is freakin ridiculously hard totally agree with (1)

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman

stelzig

Smash Lord
Anyone who is any good at MK:DS is basically guaranteed to have blisters on their left thumb. So many mini-turbos, so little track. :awesome:
Not if you usually lift your thumb slightly between left/right inputs like I did back when I played mkds... mkds is not as technical as melee btw...

Signia

Smash Lord
Yeah pretty sure nothing really comes close to Virtua Fighter. So VF for sure.
Everything in VF is easy to execute except some of Akira's moves, few hit-throws, and couple other moves. The combos are not hard either in comparison to 2D fighters.

stelzig

Smash Lord
PRB was still pretty hard to pull off tho'
With the ROB-BLS and poltergust it is quite hard/impressive. Personally I liked the more precise controlling when using MTs over the spamming too though - I never really competed in the PRB rankings, but I did use it on waifai.
Also the fact that MTing quickly/controlling MTs is the only "tech skill" in the game really makes me oppose calling mkds particularely technical. Harder than a game like mkw where you don't have to MT while going around the track for sure, but there's alot less to learn in mkds than in ssbm.

But yeah I never got blisters on my left thumb from playing mkds. My right thumb had it worse for holding the A-button down for so long... But I probably also pushed that button down a bit harder than most others since I ended up breaking my DS a bit differently than any other karter - If I press A too hard now, the the DS freezes/malfunctions and sometimes it is accompanied by a loud beeping noise lol.

-Ran

Smash Master
Gunz was fun. It was pretty technical, but the downside was that 90% of the people macroed or cheated that were doing Clan Matches. There were many, many players that were glitching their armor values to include an extra 20~30 ap, which was just enough to change the course of a 1vs1. Not enough for you ever to report either... So annoying. -.-

I was pretty pro in it though, but I'd have to say that Melee was certainly more technical than it. Maybe that's because I took to Gunz incredibly quick when it first came out, and climbed pretty far in skill. Comparatively speaking, I'm trash at Melee, since I'm just trying to get better in its twilight.

GGXX is very technical, however once you're in a combo it's a matter of just following through the with pre-set combination in your head. In Smash, you have to constantly read, predict, and prepare for the changes in your opponents DI/SDI which invalidate follow ups. It's a constant struggle between the best option and obtaining what your opponent gives you.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Everything in VF is easy to execute except some of Akira's moves, few hit-throws, and couple other moves. The combos are not hard either in comparison to 2D fighters.
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, but I can't go with you one this. I've seen too many people on SRK say that VF is one of the hardest FGs of all time.
Is mvc3 really that easy?

.... it looks so fun too. =/
I wouldn't say it's easier than brawl but it's definitly easy.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol snaking in MK:DS isn't even hard.

Just keep your thumb pressed down in the center of the D-Pad, and shift it left and right.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
(SC2 is Soul Calibur 2 in my post)

I'm not into other fighting games, the only one I've been interested in is SC2 (and I've watched Daigo vs Wong, but I don't know anything else about SF haha), but I think the interesting stuff with Melee is that the game limits are extremely hard if not impossible to reach.

We being impressed with Dark's last video is a good example: he clearly took the technical aspect of Melee to a step that had been reached only by TAs users so far. Now, I've been watching some of Dark's videos, he makes mistakes, and is sometimes not fully able to exploit the speed of his fingers. If he were able to think as fast as the game goes, he would certainly be the strongest player in the world nowadays.

And that's what is interesting: there's always room for improvement in Melee according to me. I might be wrong here, but I think that in SC2, the key to success is mostly the knowledge of your (numerous) hits and combos. In Melee, you have a full knowledge of your hits and their timing after 2 hours of practice.

To speak about what I know, I've been playing Mario Kart Double Dash for years now, I still find the game funny, but I don't think I have any room for improvement anymore. And I'm saying this after watching videos of world records that didn't impress me. I'm often impressed by things in Melee, combos, smart decisions and reads, really quick stuff, and I don't think this is going to end soon.

Well, in one word, do I think Melee is the most technical game out there? I couldn't be sure. Do I think Melee is a very technical game? Sure.

Top Bottom