• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Marth S-Tier?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
(Copy and pasted and continued from a discussion I began in my crew thread)

I don't find Marth any less effective than the rest of the S-Tier. I mean, they do call it the "Sacred Seven" for a reason. At first I was content with saying that Marth wasn't S-Tier material, but it seems that similarly to Melee days, at highest level mastery, Marth is really capable of some beast stuff. I mean, it's so fun sitting there, wrecking my opponent while they're like "dang, I can't do anything". I rarely lose unless either

A) The player is legendarily good, in which case the characters don't really have much to do with the result

B) The player is using MK, who counters Marth better than Snake does.

Supposedly D3 counters Marth, but I've always wrecked D3s, which leads me to believe that most Marth's simply don't know the matchup. I can't really argue that D3's don't know the match-up vs. Marth, because they are supposed to have the advantage, and I still destroy D3s that I fight often, and have even match-up exp with. Marth really seems to wreck most of the cast, considering that when played optimally, the opponent cannot approach, or even defend. Marth seriously does seem to apply the best shield pressure in the game, even over MK (MK is just stupidly fast and hard to punish.) Shield works for a very short time vs Marth, because after he Fair you and you can't do anything, and then dtilts you, and you still can't do anything, and your shield is reduced to the point where you aren't able continue using it safely.

Marth's weaknesses, and why they don't seem to matter.

A) No safe kill moves. Kill moves are bad anyway

I manage to land tipper Nairs, and gimps VERY frequently, even against the best of players. Once habits and reactions are read, you can still land the occasional dsmash/usmash. Marth can refresh his moveset very easily, through the use of Dancing Blade and grab pummels. If Marth doesn't focus on killing, he can remain safe, and minimize his damage while racking up his opponent's damage to the point where they will be very easily K.O.ed. It's basically when Marth is going to the kill is when takes the most damage. Simply opting not to do this will allow Marth to remain safe. Usually, a Fair will K.O. around 140, and this shouldn't be that hard for Marth to pull off. Uair and Utilt also can kill around here. Dolphin Slash is an amazing finisher with invincibility, and basically ***** you if you hit Marth's shield.

B) Marth's recovery sucks. Marth is easily gimpable.

Learn to DI. Edgeguarding Marth with any character other than MK is generally not safe (obviously, there are exceptions). With the correct usage of the second jump, Marth can generally hit his opponent on the way back to the stage before they hit him. Proper DI is essential for playing Marth, but once mastered, makes his recovery excellent, as he has such amazing aerial mobility, and can usually fall back to the stage and make it without even using both his second jump and UpB. His SideB also gives him a vertical boost if used at the height of his jump. Shieldbreaker and B reversal also assist in recovery when used correctly.

C) Marth can't deal with projectiles, Marth gets camped.

Lrn2prfectshild.

Seriously. At this point, perfect shield should be second nature. It takes something like 2 frames to simply erase the enemy projectile hitbox off the map, and can be done while walking toward your opponent. Dancing Blade comes out frame 4. There are no moves in the game with frame advantage, and very few (if any) frame traps work against perfect shield. Learning when to actually play aggressively also helps.
Also, Marth himself can camp and plank like a byatch. He recycles the edge stupidly well, and can continue to zone FROM the ledge, against the vast majority of characters. He can Fair/Uair from the ledge back to the ledge, as well as ledgehop aerial. Dancing Blade allows him to stall in midair so that he can wait out edgehogs. Shield breaker has ******** range, and can be thrown from the ledge to destroy the obvious shield attempt of the expected Fair(I really break OD shields like this). Ledgehop reverse counter is moderately safe.
On the stage, Marth doesn't have to approach. If you have a projectile, he can camp perfect shields. If not, just try getting in a Fair wall, mixed with Dtilts, Fairs, Nairs, and random Dancing Blades. Very few characters not named Metaknight or Snake can safely penetrate this without a projectile, and some can't even with a projectile.

D) Marth is really light

He's also really fast and has a lot of range. Good luck landing kill moves. Hell, some kill moves that are safe on ordinary characters aren't safe against Marth, just because he's so fast and has so much range. Generally, one cannot rely on traditional safe kill methods against Marth, and risky stuff runs the risk of getting countered.

G) Marth's grabs suck

True, but Marth also has shield breaker to deal with shielding opponents, and that works on the ground and in the air. Shield breaker can cause complete comebacks, as a broken shield is generally a stock against Marth. Also, Marth's grabs are amazing sets, and Marth can juggle in Brawl better than any other character besides MK (I think). Fastfalled Uair into Utilt, Dancing Blade up finish, or uthrow beats out MANY landing options, and requires an opponent to have a considerable amount of midair maneuverability or go to the ledge (which is just as bad vs Marth). Marth's fthrow almost always forces your opponent to choose one of two options: airdodge or eat Fair. Once this is initialized, you can often regrab, or even use a smash attack, or alter the timing of your aerial. Marth's Uair is amazing as it's very fast, autocancels, and hits behind him, making it very good for popping your opponent into the air.

Seriously, Marth is amazing. He actually has combos while the opponent is at low or mid percents, and can set up VERY dangerous situations very quickly, resulting in the opponent taking 40-60 percent relatively quickly. He has AMAZING opening combos, since Fair combos into like everything at 0, and Fthrow and Dthrow are Godly sets. He can attack from a safe distance, and prevent his opponent from approaching. He can edgeguard for ******** amounts of damage, and EASILY send his opponent back onto the ledge with such an amazing pressure game. He has no counter except for MK. He ***** on most stages, both neutral and counterpick.

I personally think he's worst on Frigate Orpheon, due to the fact that there's no ledge on ONE part of the stage, and he can lose momentum very quickly. However, simply mastering this stage can result in the player with greater mastery taking control here, and this really has very little to do with the weakness of Marth. Furthermore, against many opponents, Marth can use this to his advantage, as he can more relentlessly edgeguard, and secure a vast amount of percent this way.

Marth's second worst stage may be Pokemon Stadium 2, as it completely disrupts his spacing during every transformation. To play well on this stage requires practice, which is usually neglected, due to the fact this stage is usually banned.

Intelligent banning is very easy for Marth, as he is able to compete with many characters on their some of their best counterpicks, and ban the worst options.

Seriously, what constitutes an S-Tier character? Marth even has tourney placings to keep him near the top. Marth has the 6th best tourney placings according to Ankoku's ranking list, outplacing Falco, and R.O.B.. Many times, when I try to argue "No character johns, Marth isn't that broken," I'm at a loss to explain why Marth isn't broken, and the only people that don't really complain are the MK mains.

Generally people say, "Well S-Tier characters have an edge that makes them broken. MK has Tornado and Shuttle Loop in addition to flight, speed, and a sword. Snake has weight and power in addition to grenades. Falco has lasers and a chaingrab, R.O.B. has an amazing recovery and two great projectiles, D3 has a great recovery, and a chaingrab from most percentages on the most of the cast. G&W is ungimpable and has stupidly good finishers, as well as the broken Bair and amesome tilts (he's just stupid and good, lol).

Well, Marth has a sword, speed, and stupidly good edgeguarding. As for his edge, I'd say it's Dolphin Slash. Marth really does get out of virtually everything. Anytime I appear to be open, I can simply repel my opponent with Dolphin Slash which has about the same knockback as an untipped fsmash and deals 13% when fresh. It can be done out of shield, and has invincibility, so it beats out almost all options, and ignores priority. Seriously, this move is stupidly good.

Why ISN'T Marth considered to be S-tier, in our current tier format? If not S-Tier, then at least in a more selective A-Tier. IMO from a Marth player's perspective, MK should be SS-tier , and Snake should lead S-tier, with Game and Watch and Falco accompanying him. Marth, Diddy, R.O.B., Lucario, Wario, and Olimar should comprise the A-Tier, as no other character is as competitively viable as them, except arguably Kirby and DK (and I hear Peach). Below this, I believe the game is still too young to say for sure.

As far as our current silly tier list goes, Marth is capable of beating all S-tier characters except MK, and can systematically dissect all of their playstyles. In conclusion, he's just GOOD.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The only weakness that even matters is the lack of safe kill moves.

And I only consider MK and Snake as S tier.

lol@ Marth can't handle projectiles. Who the hell still thinks that?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
There are just too many crappy marth's out there that have no idea what they're doing, and not enough really good marths to convince sbr. Ignore the tier list. When it comes down to it, Marth has some pretty awesome match-ups, and tools to tear apart characters if he spaces well. Anyone who has done their homework knows it, so don't worry about it. Marth is good in the hands of a competent player, so just forget about the tier list.

When it comes back to reality, the tier list isn't going to decide who has the edge.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The only weakness that even matters is the lack of safe kill moves.

And I only consider MK and Snake as S tier.

lol@ Marth can't handle projectiles. Who the hell still thinks that?
I agree that only MK and Snake are S tier, but in our current tier list, we have 6 characters in S-tier. Whatever logic that was used to place these characters in an S-Tier should've also placed Marth there.

In the hands of a pro, yes he is.
MK is a garbage character in the hands of a noob. When discussing the tier and the character's potential, we are not talking about with specific players, but in general, based on that characters capabilities.

Personally, I don't think Marth is even close to top-tier. I have always considered Marth to be slightly overrated as a character since I started playing him. A lot of time when people talk about Marth they assume everything is going to just go perfect for Marth when it isn't. Marth is pretty much relies on, "I'm NEO and I'm just a better player than you are, grandmaster, so I will beat your Meta Knight".

What I mean is Marth is sooooooo based on the player using him, unlike the top tier characters where they're obvioulsy better than everyone else.

Marth requires a lot of mindgames and spacing, and that's not going to always be consistant. I don't think it's realistic for Marth to be winnin large tourneys at a rate that a Meta Knight or a Snake can do, for example. Characters like Meta Knight, Snake, DDD, Falco, and Game & Watch are far more reliable and assured than Marth is. Marth has to work so much harder and constantly out think and out space people. That's not the character, it's the player. Marth, to me, is a character good in the hands of a master, because he give you a lot of tools and options.

I don't think he's S-tier. This is just how I see Marth... If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I just don't think Marth is going to ****** through characters.:psycho:
Aren't all characters based on the player controlling them? I fight MKs of varying skill and it's very obvious to me whether a MK is good or not. How is Marth "More based on the player using him" more than any other character?

There are just too many crappy marth's out there that have no idea what they're doing, and not enough really good marths to convince sbr. Ignore the tier list. When it comes down to it, Marth has some pretty awesome match-ups, and tools to tear apart characters if he spaces well. Anyone who has done their homework knows it, so don't worry about it. Marth is good in the hands of a competent player, so just forget about the tier list.

When it comes back to reality, the tier list isn't going to decide who has the edge.
I posted this so that we could discuss it. I'm aware that Marth's placing on the tier list doesn't affect character potential, but since the Marth boards rarely have an opportunity to debate like this (being so focused on simple, straightforward facts) I thought it would be a good exercise, in additon to covering a topic that I'm interested in.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pierce, I would be very interested to know as to why someone of your intelligence would even deign to respond to someone such as grandmaster.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I posted this so that we could discuss it. I'm aware that Marth's placing on the tier list doesn't affect character potential, but since the Marth boards rarely have an opportunity to debate like this (being so focused on simple, straightforward facts) I thought it would be a good exercise, in additon to covering a topic that I'm interested in.
Fair enough, but to what end? I don't think anyone on the Marth boards disagrees with you. If anything, we're much better discussing it at your thread in the tactical discussion(obviously starting with a much broader discussion of S tier and A tier as you've done). My point is, what else is there to do but nod and agree over here?

lol EL

Edit: lucky post 777

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce, I would be very interested to know as to why someone of your intelligence would even deign to respond to someone such as grandmaster.
At a time when I wasn't so intelligent, someone took the time to reply to me. Then I became intelligent.

Fair enough, but to what end? I don't think anyone on the Marth boards disagrees with you. If anything, we're much better discussing it at your thread in the tactical discussion(obviously starting with a much broader discussion of S tier and A tier as you've done). My point is, what else is there to do but nod and agree over here?

lol EL
There might be those that disagree. One month ago or so, popular idea was that Marth was not on the same caliber as some of the characters in the greatest echelon of power.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
grandmaster has had plenty of chances to become more enlightened. I have my limits, but you do as you like.

Anyway, I must ask this question.

Why do you care where Marth is ranked?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
grandmaster has had plenty of chances to become more enlightened. I have my limits, but you do as you like.

Anyway, I must ask this question.

Why do you care where Marth is ranked?
Eh . . . I don't. It's more that I care that the rankings are correct. Previously, I was very adamant in my belief of Marth's inferiority, and recently my personal performances are causing me to doubt Marth's shortcomings, therefore I am addressing it in a conversation/debate with the community.

In short, I want to know who thinks as I do, who thinks otherwise, and more importantly, WHY they think otherwise. Knowing the thoughts of others helps to verify your own, as well as make sure you don't simply begin following your own ludicrous ideas.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So wait...when you sucked *** you thought Marth sucked ***?

And now that you are ****** you think Marth *****?

>_>

The very embodiment of SWF logic.

Nic64

Smash Lord
no one belongs in the same tier as MK and snake IMO...I think marth is definitely the next tier down though, and given that in many peoples opinions snake isn't even the same tier as MK, perhaps marth could be top tier in the post ban world. it's all pretty irrelevant though, the tiers just reflect popular opinions and tournament results, I don't think anyones perception of their characters is seriously influenced by them

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Well arent the tiers about potential anyway? If so then the "if ****, then ****" argument is perfectly sound. In the end, the fact that a noob can pick up MK and get 10th place by maining the dsmash is irrelevant. Potential **** is more or less what the tier list is trying to guage. The very fact that marth CAN do amazing things is more than enuff to earn him a chair near high top tier(all of this being done without the help of programming glitches, chaingrab infinites/gimmicks, or other outright forms of gimmicks) . Other characters in the lower tiers just simply cant to things as amazing as characters in higher tiers. Marths unique form of spacing **** is simply fantastic, period.

I dont mean to debate you EL but im just saying pierce backed up his s*** pretty well at the very least.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

>_>

Not really. It's more like, when I wasn't amazing, I did not know the full extent of Marth's power and potential, so I really had no basis for an argument to say that Marth belongs higher up on the tier list than he currently lies. Now that I am more learned, I can begin to contradict those who make such judgments by using my own good judgment. Surely this makes sense to you.

no one belongs in the same tier as MK and snake IMO...I think marth is definitely the next tier down though, and given that in many peoples opinions snake isn't even the same tier as MK, perhaps marth could be top tier in the post ban world. it's all pretty irrelevant though, the tiers just reflect popular opinions and tournament results, I don't think anyones perception of their characters is seriously influenced by them
So let's talk about that. Do you think Marth is top tier in a post-ban world? I certainly do.

Well arent the tiers about potential anyway? If so then the "if ****, then ****" argument is perfectly sound. In the end, the fact that a noob can pick up MK and get 10th place by maining the dsmash is irrelevant. Potential **** is more or less what the tier list is trying to guage. The very fact that marth CAN do amazing things is more than enuff to earn him a chair near high top tier(all of this being done without the help of programming glitches, chaingrab infinites/gimmicks, or other outright forms of gimmicks) . Other characters in the lower tiers just simply cant to things as amazing as characters in higher tiers. Marths unique form of spacing **** is simply fantastic, period.

I dont mean to debate you EL but im just saying pierce backed up his s*** pretty well at the very least.
Very true. I am of the opinion that Marth may be better than some of, and perhaps many of the characterrs currently listed in S-Tier. Definitely R.O.B., perhaps Falco and D3. Unlikely G&W or Snake.

Also, previously I was in agreement that Marth's match-ups vs. the S-tier were glum. However, Marth's match-up vs Snake doesn't appear to be as bad as previously percieved if a counter Snake strategy is played appropriately. The ability to glidetoss grenades into shield breaker is just one of the VASTLY UNUSED tricks to penetrate Snake's fortress and Zoning. Counter ***** G&W's ****. Falco gets ***** if Marth gets in close, and against perfect edgeguard, almost cannot recover at all, AND is easily gimpable. Marth can play safe to avoid D3's grab game which isn't that devastating to Marth, and edgeguard him for DAYS if done correctly. Marth also has tools to help him defeat MK, but MK's tools to beat Marth are better and safer. Learning the strategies which help systematically disassemble these characters has shown me Marth's status. Previously, I had not known all of these strategies, which is why I didn't believe Marth was S-Tier. However, Marth has proven to possess the tools and flexibility to have answer to a great many problems, and target a great many weaknesses.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think I said something like this when the tier list came out and I made a topic.

Marth isn't top tier because a better version of him with wings is already above him. And he happens to be Marth's only major weakness.

Fox/Falco were once the top (melee) but only Fox remained, the lesser 'clone' dropped down the ranks.

And before someone proclaims "YOU *** MARTH AND MK AREN'T THE SAME!", Yes you're right. But MK can do everything Marth can do but better, it's just better to play MK the non-Marth way. It only hurts when an MK main starts to literally just own you, with his dtilt over yours, his ftilt over your dancing blade, his up b over your up b (yes a tippered fair should be safe... but), his fsmash kills faster than yours unless yours is tippered - and he has a dair that actually spikes reliably.. SIDEWARDS. OH HO HO.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Marth is overrated. His selection of colors isn't as great as some of the other top tiers, though it is very good.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The only reason Marth shouldn't be S Tier, or Top Tier, is because the only characters that deserve that title are in fact Meta Knight and Snake. Marth can easily compete with the two at high level play and still win, but they are still superior characters.

He should be higher then he is at the moment, but mostly what is responsible for him being in below R.O.B. on the Tier List is his lack of good tournament representation. This is mostly due to the fact that Marth is difficult to play well, and Meta Knight does what Marth does to some extents, but easier and more efficiently.

The best I could see Marth placing on a Tier List is fourth place, below King Dedede, Meta Knight and Snake. R.O.B., G&W and Falco all have much more advantageous match ups but their weaknesses are easier to exploit, so I definitely believe Marth has the potential to surpass the three of them in placement.

Nic64

Smash Lord
So let's talk about that. Do you think Marth is top tier in a post-ban world? I certainly do.
all depends on where you draw the line I think...it might still be unlikely because marth doesn't have any one thing that jumps out at you and says "oh **** broken", he does have great reach but he isn't the only one...where snake has way too much power/survivability and zoning and DDD has a ridiculous chain grab and decent spam that also counters many attacks that would normally be better spam. at the same time I think he is more resilient to being ***** than the non-MK top tiers, the others have some fairly ugly matchups that marth is mostly devoid of, so it can all be somewhat subjective. my intuition would be that a MKless top tier would be snake/DDD/GAW, a lot of people already don't think ROB belongs there and I don't think falco being bumped down is a stretch either, I could be really really off base on that though, I am not nearly as knowledgeable about falco as I should be.

Marth is overrated. His selection of colors isn't as great as some of the other top tiers, though it is very good.
bah! snake is the only top tier character with better color changes IMO, everything but the animals camo is great

∫unk

Smash Master
Pierce... your actual tournament win count doesn't merit your cockiness. Just telling you because I know of some people that are pissed off by your unnecessary immature bragging. Yes, it's incredibly immature. How do I know? Because I used to be the exact same way.

Fact is, since EL said a very basic thing to me about my Marth, it got really really good too. As in, 2-3 stocking people that I used to lose consistently to, and being a toss up against some of the well known names even in EC.

The difference between a Hugs/Bardull/DSF and myself is, like you, I haven't gone to enough tournaments which means I haven't won enough.

The reason why Marth isn't doing well in tournaments (and subsequently the tier list) is...

1) some probable high-placing marths such as pierce and myself don't go to enough tournaments. i'm juggling many non-smash activities like a job and being a board member and being on a national sport team so... my weekends are limited and until the summer I can never be a DSF going to tournaments every weekend. i dont even have smash time really it just cuts into my sleep time ><

2) marth is hard to play on a high level consistently for an entire tournament. sure most of the time i will do very well against high-level competition, but after an extended amount of play i might get 3-stocked from a combination of trying dumb stuff/getting gimped/playing lazy. it really depends on your bracket.

3) marth relatively requires a greater amount of matchup experience because while marth has options, none are particularly overwhelming so it's just about using the best option for the matchup. in comparion if you're a gw you know even if you've never played anther's pikachu your turtle will still go a long way.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I know, but there is really know way to avoid that. He'd find some way to insult me if I stopped posting, something along the lines of "Hey SOLID I know you're out there, your Marth is ****ty!" There's just no way.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
all depends on where you draw the line I think...it might still be unlikely because marth doesn't have any one thing that jumps out at you and says "oh **** broken", he does have great reach but he isn't the only one...where snake has way too much power/survivability and zoning and DDD has a ridiculous chain grab and decent spam that also counters many attacks that would normally be better spam. at the same time I think he is more resilient to being ***** than the non-MK top tiers, the others have some fairly ugly matchups that marth is mostly devoid of, so it can all be somewhat subjective. my intuition would be that a MKless top tier would be snake/DDD/GAW, a lot of people already don't think ROB belongs there and I don't think falco being bumped down is a stretch either, I could be really really off base on that though, I am not nearly as knowledgeable about falco as I should be.
I would say Dolphin Slash is that "broken factor" many of us look for which identifies that broken factor. It basically says, "If you touch my shield, I will cut you for 13%. Also, I can use this to kill, especially near the ledge. Lastly, when you think my relentless pressure game is finally open, and you try to attack, you will fail and get sent very far, only to have to wait for the next opening."

The only reason Marth shouldn't be S Tier, or Top Tier, is because the only characters that deserve that title are in fact Meta Knight and Snake. Marth can easily compete with the two at high level play and still win, but they are still superior characters.

He should be higher then he is at the moment, but mostly what is responsible for him being in below R.O.B. on the Tier List is his lack of good tournament representation. This is mostly due to the fact that Marth is difficult to play well, and Meta Knight does what Marth does to some extents, but easier and more efficiently.

The best I could see Marth placing on a Tier List is fourth place, below King Dedede, Meta Knight and Snake. R.O.B., G&W and Falco all have much more advantageous match ups but their weaknesses are easier to exploit, so I definitely believe Marth has the potential to surpass the three of them in placement.
I can somewhat agree with this. Being that Marth isn't heavily affected by D3's chaingrab, I may be skewed in my opinion of it's effectiveness, but I think most people have a lot of catching up to do in learning how to edgeguard D3. Considering the abundance of D3 experience I have, simply from what I've seen, people do not exploit his predictable recovery properly.

Pierce... your actual tournament win count doesn't merit your cockiness. Just telling you because I know of some people that are pissed off by your unnecessary immature bragging. Yes, it's incredibly immature. How do I know? Because I used to be the exact same way.

Fact is, since EL said a very basic thing to me about my Marth, it got really really good too. As in, 2-3 stocking people that I used to lose consistently to, and being a toss up against some of the well known names even in EC.

The difference between a Hugs/Bardull/DSF and myself is, like you, I haven't gone to enough tournaments which means I haven't won enough.

The reason why Marth isn't doing well in tournaments (and subsequently the tier list) is...

1) some probable high-placing marths such as pierce and myself don't go to enough tournaments. i'm juggling many non-smash activities like a job and being a board member and being on a national sport team so... my weekends are limited and until the summer I can never be a DSF going to tournaments every weekend. i dont even have smash time really it just cuts into my sleep time ><

2) marth is hard to play on a high level consistently for an entire tournament. sure most of the time i will do very well against high-level competition, but after an extended amount of play i might get 3-stocked from a combination of trying dumb stuff/getting gimped/playing lazy. it really depends on your bracket.

3) marth relatively requires a greater amount of matchup experience because while marth has options, none are particularly overwhelming so it's just about using the best option for the matchup. in comparion if you're a gw you know even if you've never played anther's pikachu your turtle will still go a long way.
I'm often arrogant, but never cocky, and never in regards to my tourney victory, which I didn't bring up by the way (and actually, I think my skill then was much less than it is currently. I don't measure myself by placings, I know how I play and can measure myself by my own progress match by match). If someone else was bragging immaturely, I'm sure I might be pissed of as well. Please show me where I have done so, so I can apologize immediately. I wish others who felt this way would also come forth and speak, and I admire your forthrightness.

1) I haven't been to a tourney recently, recuperating my funds, but I attend tourneys pretty often, and place higher and perform better every time. I prefer not to compare myself to players not in my region, as their metagame and competition is different from mine, and I have not been able to fight these people, the people they fight, or watch them fight in person. Furthermore, I think it takes quite a few matches on DIFFERENT OCCASIONS to properly measure a person's skill.

2) I agree completely. I think that my main weakness in my consistency, I think I'm getting better primarily because my consistency is improving.

3) True, but at highest level play, and potential of the tier, player match-up exp has little to do with anything. It should be assumed that both players have full knowledge of the match-up when discussion tiers. Having acquired such an abundance of match-up experience recently is what inspired me to make this thread, and not at all my tourney accomplishments.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I would personally split the sacred seven into 3 tiers.

SS- MK

S- Snake, G&W, D3

A- Falco, Marth, ROB

So no, I wouldn't classify Marth as S-tier. It really depends on how you want to split it up though.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

>_>

QFT

Wow, MK dsmash is it's own char? "I see that you main dsmash", lol.

I personally think that the only two things that hurt marth is non-punish kill moves, and light frame. I guess player exp. also finds its way in the equation, but the learning curve, once ascended, should cause anyone to quake in phear against marth. At first, I thought this was a spam thread, due to the title, but after seeing who made it, and what it was about, it really brings the highlights of what is so excellent about Marth.
btw, SWF is a terrible idea to judge. Only one list, the mid down on is all jumbled, and I think it was a bit hasty. Marth has some good potential in the right hands.

nickcrapy7

Smash Rookie
My two humble cents here:
honestly i find marth placement perfect, first of all in my experience observing marth and his development in brawl (and by my experience i don´t mean me playing since i suck and there is not a reliable tournament scene near me) i always seem to find 3 things that somehow affect marth´s performance 1 of them being inherent to marth and the other 2 being things top marth players seem to have:
1. all the characters that are above marth can make mistakes now and then and still dominate consistently a match especially when considering s rank characters (mk and snake, i do agree mk is ahead of snake by much but snake has conditions that put him over the rest of the cast) marth has a precision and timing limitations that not only involve his recovery but his whole game play.
2. marth player´s weird fluctuations in tournaments and in a single match, this is a consequence of the above but still as junk pointed playing greatly or maintaining a level appears to be harder for marth players than it seems to be for the rest of the top characters players, i think this is also because marth has a lot of options both safe and unsafe at exact moments and picking the time to use certain moves and overcome habits of play is very hard.
3. marth (as constantly showed by this community) its great on paper but the transition to the level of play and to the results (results not being that bad when you see gw having 2 wins) makes a lot of things to disappear, there is no real explanation to this but as it happens in soccer and all sports in general, you can have a great base but not a great performance, this is a problem players are overcoming but I still see a lot of match up info and general marth efficient moves not being applied which makes marth as it is now far from a s rank.
Finally i´d like to express that I don’t see marth rising a lot, but I do see marth´s all over the world playing better, not flashier, better.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
My two humble cents here:
honestly i find marth placement perfect, first of all in my experience observing marth and his development in brawl (and by my experience i don´t mean me playing since i suck and there is not a reliable tournament scene near me) i always seem to find 3 things that somehow affect marth´s performance 1 of them being inherent to marth and the other 2 being things top marth players seem to have:
1. all the characters that are above marth can make mistakes now and then and still dominate consistently a match especially when considering s rank characters (mk and snake, i do agree mk is ahead of snake by much but snake has conditions that put him over the rest of the cast) marth has a precision and timing limitations that not only involve his recovery but his whole game play.
2. marth player´s weird fluctuations in tournaments and in a single match, this is a consequence of the above but still as junk pointed playing greatly or maintaining a level appears to be harder for marth players than it seems to be for the rest of the top characters players, i think this is also because marth has a lot of options both safe and unsafe at exact moments and picking the time to use certain moves and overcome habits of play is very hard.
3. marth (as constantly showed by this community) its great on paper but the transition to the level of play and to the results (results not being that bad when you see gw having 2 wins) makes a lot of things to disappear, there is no real explanation to this but as it happens in soccer and all sports in general, you can have a great base but not a great performance, this is a problem players are overcoming but I still see a lot of match up info and general marth efficient moves not being applied which makes marth as it is now far from a s rank.
Finally i´d like to express that I don’t see marth rising a lot, but I do see marth´s all over the world playing better, not flashier, better.
Marth's amazing speed and Dolphin Slash generally allow him to escape punishment from many mistakes. Furthermore, at highest level of play, Marth won't be making many mistakes that cause the loss of a match.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I would say Dolphin Slash is that "broken factor" many of us look for which identifies that broken factor. It basically says, "If you touch my shield, I will cut you for 13%. Also, I can use this to kill, especially near the ledge. Lastly, when you think my relentless pressure game is finally open, and you try to attack, you will fail and get sent very far, only to have to wait for the next opening."
Dolphin Slash is a very good defensive move, but it's far from broken in my opinion. At least, when compared to the traits of the characters above him (except R.O.B, who doesn't really belong in Top Tier). Marth has always been emblematic of a High Tier (or A-Tier) character to me. It's not like Melee, where he had insane range and higher priority than everyone else. He rightfully deserved S-Tier ranking there. In Brawl, he's still a very good character, but he's lost some of the characteristics that placed him in Top Tier in Melee.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace

>_>

We must judge things based on our knowledge and experience, because we have no other way.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
We must judge things based on our knowledge and experience, because we have no other way.
You're neglecting basing our knowledge both on other people's experiences through observation, AND theory. Don't underestimate the power of theory. There are obviously limitations to it, but you can imagine scenarios where something might happen without actually having to see it with your own eyes. Experience backs it up, but theory is a useful tool you shouldn't so easily dismiss.

∫unk

Smash Master
You know Junk is going to be all over you any time now.
I know, but there is really know way to avoid that. He'd find some way to insult me if I stopped posting, something along the lines of "Hey SOLID I know you're out there, your Marth is ****ty!" There's just no way.
SOLID how did you manage to spell no wrong then correct yourself later in the same post?

Anyway nothing else to say I'm tired.

DS OoS alone should move him up a few spots.

I'm often arrogant, but never cocky, and never in regards to my tourney victory, which I didn't bring up by the way (and actually, I think my skill then was much less than it is currently. I don't measure myself by placings, I know how I play and can measure myself by my own progress match by match). If someone else was bragging immaturely, I'm sure I might be pissed of as well. Please show me where I have done so, so I can apologize immediately. I wish others who felt this way would also come forth and speak, and I admire your forthrightness.
The part where you repeatedly say you're good is annoying to me, but more importantly to other people (because it's my goal on SWF to piss people off). Like I said before, let others vouch for you.

Arrogant and cockiness are one and the same. Try to aim for confidence. It's a fine line that you'll learn.

1) I haven't been to a tourney recently, recuperating my funds, but I attend tourneys pretty often, and place higher and perform better every time. I prefer not to compare myself to players not in my region, as their metagame and competition is different from mine, and I have not been able to fight these people, the people they fight, or watch them fight in person. Furthermore, I think it takes quite a few matches on DIFFERENT OCCASIONS to properly measure a person's skill.

2) I agree completely. I think that my main weakness in my consistency, I think I'm getting better primarily because my consistency is improving.

3) True, but at highest level play, and potential of the tier, player match-up exp has little to do with anything. It should be assumed that both players have full knowledge of the match-up when discussion tiers. Having acquired such an abundance of match-up experience recently is what inspired me to make this thread, and not at all my tourney accomplishments.
Of course you assume total matchup exp, but no one with a normal life can achieve that. For example, if you face a legit Samus you're going to get ***** unless you have matchup experience. The lower tiers are more effective against Marth (if you don't have that much exp) because he is just a well balanced character and doesn't have some ridiculous thing like a turtle b-air, tornado, chaingrab, etc.

I thought I made that point clear in my first post... high tier matchup experience is a given.

Nic64

Smash Lord
it does get marth out of a lot of trouble, but MK/snake/DDD all have more punishing OoS options...actually I'd start talking about DB before DS in terms of nearly broken moves, does more damage as a punishment option and makes a mockery of diminishing returns, but that could just be me

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
It does depend on how you split it up, but if I were to take it from the current SBR tier list I would replace Falco with Marth. He's not better than Snake, D3 or GAW though, probably not better than ROB either, although he does decent-good against all of them. He does deserve to be in the bottom of S though.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The part where you repeatedly say you're good is annoying to me, but more importantly to other people (because it's my goal on SWF to piss people off). Like I said before, let others vouch for you.

Arrogant and cockiness are one and the same. Try to aim for confidence. It's a fine line that you'll learn.
I am confident. Is it wrong to say that I'm good, when I do so in such an non-comparative manner? In this arena, I am generally not rude, and primarily mentioned my increase in skill (something I expect EVERYONE to have) to give the reason why my views have changed. Basically, rather than simply posting "All of a sudden, I think Marth is S-tier", I said something more along the lines of, "I've been doing better lately, and discovering some of the stuff Marth can do. This has lead me to believe he's S-Tier."

Of course you assume total matchup exp, but no one with a normal life can achieve that. For example, if you face a legit Samus you're going to get ***** unless you have matchup experience. The lower tiers are more effective against Marth (if you don't have that much exp) because he is just a well balanced character and doesn't have some ridiculous thing like a turtle b-air, tornado, chaingrab, etc.
I completely agree at this point. In fact, I was thoroughly ***** by a Samus player perhaps a month ago, and lost a dollar over it. However, total match-up experiance isn't entirely necessary. I was ***** by ZSS two Saturdays ago, and now I know how to fight ZSS. This game is still moderately new, and comparatively, I'm still inexperienced. I think it's fair to say that given enough time, any top level Marth player will eventually be able to figure out how to fight all the other characters, and Marth excels in dissectiong his opponent's strategy with his amazing tools, and shutting down their game (except against MK).

Oh, and since we're mentioning broken things, Marth still has shield breaker, and the fastest meteor smash (the latter being less important
, and Diddy's Up B doesn't count
). Seriously, ShieldBreaker is broken when mastered.

Also, I theorize very well, but your ability to theorize is greatly enhanced as you gain knowledge and experience.

EDIT: So Junk, I reread the first post, and I realize how that could have been mistaken for cockiness. I copy and pasted most of the OP from my crew thread, where my audience is naturally very different, and I would speak of things that I normally wouldn't speak of here. The very nature of my posts there are different than here. Generally, I consider this board a more formal setting, and wouldn't dare to speak in such a manner ordinarily (save the occasional joke, like selling my SD card.) It was posted quite shortly after a crew meet, and designed to initiate a conversation with my crew and friends in my region, which is why I felt more at liberty to discuss the nature of my success. I apologize if such crude speech offended or annoyed you.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
It does depend on how you split it up, but if I were to take it from the current SBR tier list I would replace Falco with Marth. He's not better than Snake, D3 or GAW though, probably not better than ROB either, although he does decent-good against all of them. He does deserve to be in the bottom of S though.
Marth is better than G&W what are you talking about?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh, Marth counters G&W, but it's HIGHLY arguable whether or not Marth is actually better than G&W vs the rest of the cast. I'm currently undecided on the issue of him being better than Falco, G&W, and D3. Lazers, Turtle, and Chaingrab are pretty broken, but Marth is pretty broken too.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If everyone had counter like marth peach and ike, then i would say G&W would be lower than marth. But as it stands, marth is one of the only people who can effectively slaughter G&W. I mean, the fact that marth can go relatively even (emphasis on relatively) with the broken tier characters should be considered as a factor for bumping him up. He can after all handle anyone below him on the list without much trouble. His quantity of **** is highter than his quality of **** at the moment. But the margin is 60:40 in my opinion. While snake and MK defy the scale and go 100:100 (actually probably more like 50:50 to fit scale but you get my point)

Top Bottom