• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You'd probably be better off walking to the mall than trying to find a place to park nearby... regardless of how far the mall is from your house. I really don't understand why so many people put off Christmas shopping for so long.

:248:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Only things I need to buy are new shoes, and that can wait until later. For most everything else I want, I can find cheaper online..

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Actually, it's raining a ton in north Texas today, and as I went to my apartment and back (50 minutes turned into 2 hours) to get proper clothing for tonight, I saw some pretty nasty wrecks on the highway.
Procrastination very well may be the death of some people.

Hmmm. New shoes. I really need some of those.

Also, I'm going to buy the red-blue 3d glasses at the earliest convenience because I want to play Minecraft in 3d. (The option does exist and I'm getting a better laptop tomorrow.)

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
hey guysss, how was the finals??

I aced three classes, got B in rest. oh well, back to brawl.

@rydle matches: amazing stuff against olimar. He's really putting the QD to work there. I like how he used it at second match 1:05 to gimp olimar.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's predicted to snow on sunday and monday where I am -_-

EDIT:

A must watch MM of Rydle

Game 2
Didn't really like how that Olimar played himself vs Rydle, but good stuff on Rydle nevertheless.

So I learned something interesting today...based on the origins of Christmas (Catholics taking the idea from Pagans), "Merry Christmas" means Happy death to Christ >_>...

Merry means well...happy, good feeling, etc.

Christ means Jesus

Mass from the catholic encyclopedia means "death sacrifice".

Ho, ho, ho...Merry Christmas =/.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Death and Afterlife teacher actually said that Christianity is heavily influenced by the Zoroastrians. Their mythological time line was taken by Christians and they just changed a few names here and there and made it their own. It's so cool because the "time line" can be seen in most stories, movies, and games. I find it sorta interesting to see religions influence each other. Funny thing you said there bored, since the Christmas tree is supposed to be a sign of everlasting life. Maybe death = everlasting life? I remember being taught that it leads us into it or something. Oh BTW, the most interesting religion to me is the Ba'hi (sp?).

Death itself is interesting to me. Especially when I play TWEWY and watch Angel Beats!. Even the VN I am currently playing focuses most of its stories around death.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I haven't played TWEWY in a loooong time, so I don't remember much about it. However, Killer7 did get to me in the plot confusion and the messages it tried to send.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mass said:
Note : In the Middle Ages in England, mass meant a religious feast day in honor of a specific person; thus, “Christ's Mass,” or Christmas, is the feast day of Christ; and Michaelmas is the feast day of the angel Michael.
Taken from Dictionary.com. The word "mass" has a lot of meanings. I'm pretty sure this is the one they were actually using.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
speaking of pound
is anyone here going to pound 5?

I'm most likely going to be there
Speaking of pound theres a few new things people dont know :)

i got a 10% discount on all airtran flights to help you guys out who want to fly

the venue is 24 hours with tons of setups, and just a few floors down from all of the luxurious hotel rooms :p the venue is .3 miles from the airport and metro with a free shuttle running to each of them at all times, the metro can take you anywhere in DC/VA....

its my last tournament im hosting and im def going out on top so hopefully anyone whos come to one before will come again++lots of new faces

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Taken from Dictionary.com. The word "mass" has a lot of meanings. I'm pretty sure this is the one they were actually using.
Brett, that's what I figured, but when I looked into it, turns out Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, etc. rejected the Catholic term of mass, because at that time, they used it hand in hand with death sacrifice.

Catholics took the Pagan's version of Christmas and made their own. Christmas meaning "death sacrifice of Christ". However, I wouldn't want to say "Merry Christmas", because if you look at the historic definition that was used at the time, the words literally mean "Happy Christ death sacrifice".

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
@Bored, that's pretty interesting I knew the meaning of the Christ+mass but not the one you described or that they rejected it.

@Doom, I saw that movie today!

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Merry Christmas!
Maligayang Pasko!
Wesołych Świąt!
Feliz Navidad!
Joyeux Noël!
メリークリスマス!
聖誕節快樂!
01001101 01100101 01110010 01110010 01111001 00100000 01000011 01101000 01110010 01101001 01110011 01110100 01101101 01100001 01110011 00100001
MIKE - echo - romeo - romeo - yankee - space
CHARLIE - hotel - romeo - india - sierra - tango - mike - alpha - sierra - exclamation mark

etc.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Brett, that's what I figured, but when I looked into it, turns out Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, etc. rejected the Catholic term of mass, because at that time, they used it hand in hand with death sacrifice.

Catholics took the Pagan's version of Christmas and made their own. Christmas meaning "death sacrifice of Christ". However, I wouldn't want to say "Merry Christmas", because if you look at the historic definition that was used at the time, the words literally mean "Happy Christ death sacrifice".
Hm. Silly theists. Oh well. I love them anyway. The ones that matter, I mean.

Merry Christmas... I suppose.

(I'll go around saying Marry Christmas on Good Friday now.)
What the hell does my first name have to do with Christmas?
Is this our Christmas present? The knowledge that you're much further from Asian than we thought?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
More like they are ashamed to go with their real name (unlike us brown ppl) so they go with a American name. That's from my experience anyways.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
Makes sense. In Fallout: NV, you have stations labeled "Bravo" "Charlie" "Alpha" etc.

Edit: O_o...this guy requested to be friends on youtube...pretty neat montage he has. However, what caught my eye was this. How often would this work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxBOkbY9RXE#t=1m40s
Well when Snake grabs someone that close to the edge they automatically stand up again which can lead to Snake to keep down grabbing, but the lucario (well it looked like he jumped) jumped so he got spiked, so maybe everytime you try to jump after Snake's down grab? But I still think it can happen frequently if you do it fast enough

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what I understand, characters can slip off the edge if Snake D-throws you there, and he can sometimes re-grab you. However, I know up-tilt kinda has a "vacuum" hitbox and I figure the Lucario got hit at a point where he was on the side of the edge, got sucked in and hit the bottom of the edge and died. I didn't see any jumping.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
From what I understand, characters can slip off the edge if Snake D-throws you there, and he can sometimes re-grab you. However, I know up-tilt kinda has a "vacuum" hitbox and I figure the Lucario got hit at a point where he was on the side of the edge, got sucked in and hit the bottom of the edge and died. I didn't see any jumping.
yeah now that i looked closer i dont think he jumped but slipped off, like you said, and Snake's uptilt got him

oh btw one of the snakes in that video being able to platform cancel so easily. D8 amazing

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Ike(and probably other characters too) can avoid any follow-up Snake tries to do with the D-throw at the edge by fast falling. I might need to test this more but when I did it in actual matches, it worked for me.

That clip also look liked a bad case of DI. lol

Top Bottom