• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Most Asian parents just give their kid a western name if they're born over here, and the ones that move over here they adopt a western name anyways. Asian names get pronounced wrong... I'm the only Chinese person in any of my schools to actually go by a Chinese name and the pronunciations are so creative it's not funny. It's not even hard to pronounce.

The uniqueness is nice though.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
my entire lifr i lived with a mispronouced name because no Americans can say "ous - mon" (something like that) so i adopted them saying "Ooze" for the first syllabol for my name.

Me being super shy before, i barely had courage to correct people about my name so i accepted what sounded close. By the point i gained courage, there was no point in correcting everyone.

Though the occansional "yous - mon" and "us - mon" is funny.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just gave up on people pronouncing my name right. It's just their culture and how they speak which makes it difficult for them to say my name right. I mean, I just roll with it.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
I have the most normal name, but people still get it wrong. They tend to say the female form of it ;/

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I spent until 3am yesterday recompiling all of my stage textures, putting like 3-6 stage textures per stage for each legal stage. Most stages have random loading of the textured stages along with their originals. Took a while downloading each one then putting them with the alternate stage loader. Now I'll feel a lot less monotony when playing stages =D

I'm too lazy to mess with the stage songs I already have set from downloading..

@ Ussi&Bored
People mispronounce my name all the time, but I got used to correcting them =D

Don't hate on Charlie. Some other Asian friends like Kevin, Dan, and Andy (uncommon names imo) would like a word with you!

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
about the asian talk,, how can i write my name in kanji or japanese? as far as i know, their alphabet present words so...how will Abid be written in those languages?

lol, i get my name mispronounced for many times. Americans just don't seem to get the tone of "aain" and "daal" of my name (In arabic/urdu: 'aain' is heavy toned 'a' which comes from the throat and 'daal' is very much similar to 'the').

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
i c huh. could u help me find it out plezz?

My name is "ABID" (phonetic: aaa-be-dh). So in kanji, what all different words will make my name?

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
So I'm sitting here browsing Smashboards while Christmas music is on in the living room, and I get the idea to write an Ike main Christmas Carol =D

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my Ike main gave to me: (I'm not typing out all 12 days, obviously)

12 favored matchups
11 friends to fight for
10th place ranking
9 stages to strike
8-minute planking
7 jab cancels
6 FSmashes
FIVEEE GREAT AETHEEEERRSS!
4 UAirs (Up airs)
3 different spikes
2 Ftilts (forward tilts)
And of course, no sym-pa-thyyyyy~

To Anmist: I'm not sure if you could really write it in Kanji, because it's supposed to represent an actual word, not just syllables put together. In terms of syllables, you'd want Katakana/Hiragana:

あべっど - hiragana
アベッド - katakana (hoping I got the spelling here right)

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
sweet. thanks,

あべっど and アベッド, They are japanese right? so they mean (lolwut) 'Oh all Tsu etc'. wut does Tsu stand for?

btw, if u guys r wondering, I used google translate to translate those.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Lol, I love the 3 different spikes part for some reason.

Also, this is an urgent public service announcement.
Don't go to see Narnia. It got ***** by the people who have the right to Narnia. Lmao. It was one of the worst movies I think I've seen. They changed the plot of the book to make it a better movie (I can only guess that's why) and then it was still a TERRIBLE movie.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
The hiragana is just a way of spelling it out if "abid" was the reading of a kanji (or series of kanji characters). The katakana is what would probably be used because it's a name and doesn't have a Japanese origin. So they don't actually mean anything; they're just how you'd spell your name out. I'm guessing Google translate took the first two characters from the hiragana as if it were part of another word.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
My first and middle names are western versions of both my lolos (grandparents in Tagalog - IIRC it can pronounced as it is written). I used Google translate to make my name in Japanese once. ジョン is what I get. Hurray for Engrish. I also got さん (lol san) and ヨハネ. So yeah, I used Google Translate. If you have a better way to write/say it, my name is John (inb4nojohnsjoke).

Oh and I had so much fun setting up my RB 3 Pro drum set. I only got to play one song on it though, but it still feels so cool to have it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, I love the 3 different spikes part for some reason.

Also, this is an urgent public service announcement.
Don't go to see Narnia. It got ***** by the people who have the right to Narnia. Lmao. It was one of the worst movies I think I've seen. They changed the plot of the book to make it a better movie (I can only guess that's why) and then it was still a TERRIBLE movie.
That's what Rotten Tomatoes is for.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yeah, I liked that guy. I thought he was dumb at first, but he really turned out to be a good guy.

I just remembered I have to drive back to my apartment to pay rent this week. It's a bitter feeling.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
so how was the ike boards christmas?
i got broncitis for christmas, good tiems, good tiems...
i also got fire emblem radiant dawn, good game, its a lot harder than shadow dragon

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Since there was no place to gooo
Let it snow, let it snow, let ot snoooow

(my basement flooded, but my sisters saved the wii and xbox 360)

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
@GP: Cool now you can feel the overpowered Ike from RD (which makes the Black Knight fight on Normal and Easy a bit too easy) not the one that's not godly in Brawl. But have you tried Shadow Dragon on the hardest difficulty? I haven't played RD on hard yet so I can't compare. Oh and I already mentioned, but it doesn't seem like you saw my post, that I got RB 3 Pro Drums. I feel so awesome playing with it. Besides that, had a party over at some cousins' house and we played Just Dance 2. Too funny.

@Ussi: lol sisters to the rescue. Snow doesn't bother me here. Or at least not now. Sooner or later I'll have to help my parents shovel the stuff because I know one of them has to work tomorrow.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't understand why people would want Halo 2 and 3 if Reach is already there...but then again, I guess that's saying why people still play SF2 over SSF4.

Top Bottom