• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ftilt extends DDD's hurtbox.. They beat each other. Whoever moves first loses. Though slant aether > ftilt such on battlefield.

And @Kirk lmao,
Its already on my to do list after watching A vid on DK standing pivot grab CG

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ftilt extends DDD's hurtbox.. They beat each other. Whoever moves first loses. Though slant aether > ftilt such on battlefield.

And @Kirk lmao,
Its already on my to do list after watching A vid on DK standing pivot grab CG

ive missed this, can i ahve a vid?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've tried to, but it was too hard for me to get it down immediately, and that was during testing time. I have more time to practice now. ICs aren't too bad if you're as hungry for the grab as they are =p

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I've tried to, but it was too hard for me to get it down immediately, and that was during testing time. I have more time to practice now. ICs aren't too bad if you're as hungry for the grab as they are =p
somehow i am extremely confused by that, to beat the icies, you have to get in and grab them first?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
A grab eventually leads to an easy fsmash, and we have better setups to get grabs. We can go aggro or defensive on ICs at will, basically.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh well this makes things a lot easier, im normally stuck resorting to psuedo planking and chipping off about 6% when aether goes through the middle of the stage, and then running about untill he makes a mistake.
can icies grab us when we've grabbed one of them?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
As long as you buffer a pummel, it should be fine, and Ike's throws usually knock away both anyways. As long as you put up the threat that if they get grabbed they're in a lot of danger at mid-%s.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Once you have them separated be sure to stick to quick Jabs and Bairs to keep them separated until they're far enough apart that you can get a good shot at Nana with Fsmash. Throwing one IC away and then picking on each one individually with Jab will often take them by surprise since they'll be expecting you to try and go for the smash on Nana right away. That's what I've found works really well anyways.

:248:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
cool thanks guys, tbh theres only one icies in england, and im confident my r.o.b could take him reallly easy as he just hates that MU

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can't an IC main control Nana when Popo is being grabbed? With that being said, sometimes I've been hit out of my b-throw animation while grabbing Popo.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I think the AI takes over when popo is incapacitated, i.e. being grabbed. Similar to how nana acts on her own once popo dies off screen

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
that's why you pummel the other one away.. unless you're getting hit after the pummel

really the big thing is that most ICs don't even try to do an instant mash out cause they aren't used to being grabbed.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I dunno... I'm no expert on it and now I'm curious and will probably test, but I think the player retains control of Nana when Popo is grabbed, and also when Popo is KOd. I'm pretty sure the only AI a player's Nana is given is the urge to run back towards Popo when they are too far separated.

Otherwise, what level of default AI would be used to control Nana? Also, I know that one of the reasons IC is such a horrible MU for Ganondorf is that Ganon's Gerudo (sideB) is completely shut down due to there being two of them. If the AI took over Nana when Ganon choked Popo, there would be a chance Nana wouldn't intervene in a timely fashion, so it wouldn't be as much of an issue; I'm pretty sure though that choking Popo = a free hit of the IC player's choice on Ganon.

However, like I said, I don't know for sure and will probably test this now.

:248:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ganon needs SAFs during the entire animation of landing the side B grab

I think Nana is semi AI controlled but can be "controlled" in the sense that it will always give priority to do the input Popo has. But if you input nothing, it will do something on its own to go back to being sync'd with Popo again such as dash to him, recover, and probably do a simple jab on people who grabbed Popo

Heartstring

Smash Legend
nana is controlled when popo is grabbed/grabbing, so ic mains rather than grabbing simply mash the cstick in your directino and nana hits you, but if yo throw fast enough youll get popo out of the way

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well yea, this si what I'm trying to get at. Say we grab Popo and try to B-throw him so Nana follows, Nana may just hit us during the animation. Basically, we shouldn't bother pummeling. Just get on with the throw.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, this is assuming you wanan get that f-smash in lol. With that being said. Pivot grab may prove useful to create some distance between Popo and Nana.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
There's a good ICs player I play at just about every event, and the grab pummel fsmash works just about every time if I grab popo with the except of stage/terrain effects at mid-%. If pummel hits Nana, Nana's pushed too far away to hit us.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Did anybody not notice that Kirk is posting here? :I
Like, 2 times on the last 2 pages, that's pretty rare.

Also, on the IC's topic, the only IC's i've played recently loves to approach with sideB and if they screw up the spacing, that's another free Fsmash. Also i love to separate them with Ftilt since most of the time the player will see it and shield it, but because of the difference in reaction time(iirc nana is 6 frames slower) she will get hit and then there is 1 left.

Just my two cents :)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I dabble. Just randomly thought of jab1 > buffered standing pivot grab and thought id share :O
is our pivot grab longer than jsut a simple standing grab? seeing as were running away from them i thoughti t would end up shortennig our range, and it would also take longer too, or am i seriously wrong?

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
You're correct G-P, Ike's pivot grab(any chars. pivot grab for that matter) is longer then the standing grab.
Also, i don't think i've even introduced myself here before, i'll just try to post every once a while and get active here because Ike's awesome ^^

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
San, next time you play that IC, abuse Prime's method of breaking out of IC's grabs. Make him cry because he can't hold a grab below 200%.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Its longer, yes. Remember I'm saying buffered standing pivot grab...I don't have the link but its the same concept as that DDD standing pivot chaingrab video demo. Instead of throw to pivot grab, it'd be jab1 to pivot grab...you wouldn't actually be moving any backward.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
San, next time you play that IC, abuse Prime's method of breaking out of IC's grabs. Make him cry because he can't hold a grab below 200%.
Don't worry, I will. Will it be better to set the dpad to grabs? Hmm..

Anyways, I'm going to spend a good portion tomorrow getting buffered pivot grab down!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I thought fthrow > dash attack didn't work most if the time?
there are two targets this time.

Jab > pivot grab doesn't work cause it takes minimally 2 more frames than normal grab (2 frames to dash otherwise you will roll instead of pivoting) but i'm now testing for situations where you barely jab them out of jab range

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Someone do a jab1 > buffered standing pivot grab
Lol, didn't Light suggest that and Kimchi argue it was too impractical?
Like a lot?
I think the AI takes over when popo is incapacitated, i.e. being grabbed. Similar to how nana acts on her own once popo dies off screen
I'm pretty sure Nana is still loosely controlled by the player when Popo is grabbed.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It is impractical. That's why you have to practice it a lot to get it down. No doubt it's useful but it will be hard to get it down with enough success where it's more worth it to do buffered pivot grab than continue jab cancels, or whatever other thing we can do.

+ We haven't really confirmed if jab->buffered pivot grab is a true combo/mostly guaranteed.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Considering jab > grab isn't guaranteed, this won't be either, since pivot grab is 2 frames slower. The benefit in this is the range, better chance to grab if you catch them off guard and don't escape the jab cancel

Top Bottom