• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
If you're fighting a heavy like :charizard: then catching him in a jab cancel combo is near guranteed to keep him caught into a jab 1 uptilt or jab 2 upsmash.

Charizard should become readable when you're trying to get close they'll use the flamethrower as a way of forcing you away so if you can manage to see it coming go in for a dair if your above or a fair approaching. If recovering from flamethrower is a problem then just time your descent and aether him out of flamethrower.

Most charizards have bad air game and need the ground for a solid fight though you should watch out for his fair dthrow and nair the fair has a good knockback at high percents same for his dthrow and the nair could cancel your attacks just space properly read well and you'll be fine the mu is in our favor.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
well we can't do much of jab cancels from jab other than jab 1 since charizard has his rocksmash which explodes on impact (although zard has to be quick about it, rocksmash does alot of damage on impact). But I agree on jabs disrupting charizard.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ike can always aether charizard out of flamethrower on stages not named FD; and even on FD charizard will have to space himself so as to not get hit by aether, which isn't as effective either since flamethrower diminishes after a short while.

For air game, I was thinking the same thing too. we outrange charizard in air so thats our good spot.

Ground combat is still kinda iffy for me. PT boards say that zard's ground speed and grab range is what makes it difficult to approach. But then, Ike can always resort to retreating nairs, fairs and even RAR bairs. Yeah, I think at ground game ike does put up a challenge for charizard. Thanx for the help everyone.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well...im back
i would like to john about who i got drawn against but frankly coming up against olimar, pikachu and a falco is a hazard of using ike.
regardless i didnt do well, beat the first olimar (just) then lost to the falco (no.3 in uk) and then lost to the pikachu.
i had a lovely day with my hands where even trying to short hop bair was boardering on impoossible.
anyway, it was fun but i was terribad

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Guys check this out. Guess we have a CP as RC now
Lol wtf? Was this wifi? That PT main either...

1. Wasn't really a PT main
2. Was getting dumbed down by lag
3. Is just bad

GP, Pikachu isn't that hard of a MU. I think most of us consider it close to even.

Edit: I just realized I didn't post how I did in doubles. Got 3rd teaming with Poltergust. Lost to Dojo and Tyson, and Zac and Trela.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
pikachu isnt nice when youre timing is off (john alert) so i constantly missed the powershielding of the thunder jolts. but i think otherwise its pretty even.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Pikachu will just try to camp you until a high percent then go for a knock off stage then Thunder spam most of the time. His Nair and fair bugs me to no end and his dsmash can be easily predicted once your close but overall i just don't like fighting pikachu's i can handle them i just don't like them very much. :ohwell:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Pikachu is pretty easy imo. Near even for multiple reasons even though they're easy to get by if you look out for them.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I have easier times fighting falco than pikachu now i've taught myself to fight falco but i don't fight enough pikachu's so i need a MU update on that.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
sadly i jsut had an off day, i was looknig after my brother more than trying to do well (john) so ill jsut leave it and move on to the next one

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Against the peach is the only wifi match

Props to bored and Psycho for repping Ike.

This was a bit long for a trailer. Some of it was enjoyable, but other times I felt that there were unnecessary scenes or clips that were too long. How much of this was Wi-fi? The DI seemed too bad to be offline...

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Lol wtf? Was this wifi? That PT main either...

1. Wasn't really a PT main
2. Was getting dumbed down by lag
3. Is just bad

GP, Pikachu isn't that hard of a MU. I think most of us consider it close to even.

Edit: I just realized I didn't post how I did in doubles. Got 3rd teaming with Poltergust. Lost to Dojo and Tyson, and Zac and Trela.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't wifi. and I the way PT was playing, i'm guessing he was both 1 & 3.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
haha sorry i didnt stick around for longer last night, but i really wasnt in the best of moods. will be up and ready next time >.<
also didnt help that i had mum nagging in my ear during my games with sharkie, still HOW DO YOU AVOID THAT FUGGEN WALKOFF D-AIR STUFF
honestly nys gets me with that every time we play

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Yeah i'd airdodge. I took one game of red-x luckily with that move lol (Though it was laggy because his sister was using the internet too)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You avoid walk-off dair the same way you avoid Samus' spike. Fast fall.
If you don't have a second jump, you're probably screwed.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm always wary of the walk-off Dair/Fair if they're standing close to the ledge, so I just keep a safe distance away from the ledge as I'm falling and wait to use my double jump until either they go for the walk-off or I can't safely wait any more. And by can't safely wait anymore, I mean the lowest I can possibly be to still land on-stage with Aether, the last thing you want to do is put yourself in a position to be edge-hogged.

:034:

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
One of the best stages to do it on is either Pokemon stadium 1 or lylat cruise you'll think your already close to the edge on lylat which will mindgame you in the end for a dair and on ps1 you can only go so far from the stage before trying to recovery is hopeless.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Mr. Doom, I can't speak for everyone else but I guarantee you that I will definitely hear you out :3 It'd be great if you posted though, the Wolf boards have a bad history of never getting much input from other character boards and thus eventually overrating matchups... it's not too cool >_>

:059:

Hist

Smash Cadet
Question about QD mid air close to stage.
I want to pop my QD briefly so that i slide however i dont get the landing lag and it lets me grab freely while i still have momentum.
It would be really helpful with my projectile and MK match ups! thanks!

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but if you don't want landing land you want to let go of quick draw when you're very close to the stage so that Ike doesn't have time to go into freefall animation. You keep your momentum with no landing lag that way.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
yeah, if you want know landing lag you want to let go of QD just above the ground if timed right you can pretty much use anything out of it, like in Ryo's vid where he Fsmashed while sliding from using a QD..

EDIT: So i found out from Xyro in the Houston thread the WHOBO 3 is in march... Is Easter in March this year? I'm not good with holidays soooo yeah haha if it isn't then Mr. Doom should go.. Though Mr. Doom should go anyway XD haha

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
EDIT: So i found out from Xyro in the Houston thread the WHOBO 3 is in march... Is Easter in March this year? I'm not good with holidays soooo yeah haha if it isn't then Mr. Doom should go.. Though Mr. Doom should go anyway XD haha
WHOBO 3 in March? Easter in 2011 is on April 24, I think. I might be cleared to go to this.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I really want to go to a WHOBO so I can meet all you Texas Ikes, but it's just so far away... if I can convince some other local smashers here to go with me I might just be able to arrange something.

But... so far away... we'd have to take a flight which is so expensive. Whereas for Apex we could have road-tripped it.

:034:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
So uh, I just found out Ike can ledge drop non-fast fall Dair and he can actually make it back. (Tested on BF so far).
Has this been known? .-.

EDIT: Just tested this with Bair now. wut

metroid1117

Smash Master
So uh, I just found out Ike can ledge drop non-fast fall Dair and he can actually make it back. (Tested on BF so far).
Has this been known? .-.

EDIT: Just tested this with Bair now. wut
You're talking about starting on the edge, letting go, using a BAir/DAir, double jumping, and then up+Bing onto the edge, right? Can Ike seriously make it back? How strict is the timing on that? I've always been under the impression that he can't make it back.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, he can make it back. I've tested on FD/SV/BF. Timing is sort of strict though. (I've been mashing the jump button so far. lol)
I'll try to get a vid up or something.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i've sorta known that for a while, but because of habit i automatically double jump before i D-air/B-air.
i thought it was already known to everyone so i didnt say anything XD

Top Bottom