• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
lol GP, you honestly thought that was french? well i was restricted to use english aplhabets cause SWF doesn't have other foreign language ones.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
South Asians (Desis) are very dense.... and when they finally understand, they try to play if off like they knew all along.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Not a single word from AN(M)ist's post look like anything from the romance language, so I knew it couldn't be French. I lol'd when I saw sans avatar and confusion ensued.

@Mr. Doom: Your SDI sucks! lrn2sdi :p

I should start playing Brawl again. I haven't done so for a while =/

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
hmm, what I wrote goes like:

Thanks Craysyn, I had never learnt french language in school :)

Me saying it in urdu was just to show that I do not understand french just like you guys do not understand urdu. Simple as that.

And Ussi, you might wanna think broader before saying desis are dense...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
She and Foodies are making sandwiches of epic proportions for us.

Edit: Does anyone know if I can load the game with textures and infinite replay on, and later take out the SD during tourny play and have infinite replays intact? Don't really feel like editing my SD card unless I have too.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
*nods*

You should feel bad if you like that dying language.
It's not dying but it's just sort of outclassed by English in almost every category.

People in France / Quebec speak English and if you want to visit Africa you're probably insane.

Anyway a bunch of languages are 'outclassed' by English. German, French, Dutch and Italian, probably.

If you actually want to learn useful languages the top 5 probably are:
- English
- Spanish
- Mandarin Chinese
- Japanese
- Russian

IMO, of course, but it seems about right.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah, Mandarin is spoken by the most people in the world, but only because China is so ridiculously populated. I believe English is the most widely spoken language, like, not spoken by the most individuals but spoken thoroughly in the most countries. Correct me if I'm wrong.

French is definitely up there somewhere among the most spoken languages. Certainly not above any you mentioned, but considering there are thousands of known languages, many of which are much less common than French... well it has a long way to go before it can be considered "dying".

:034:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I had planned to change my avatar pretty soon just to reflect how smug I am feeling right about now. But I custom made my avatar on YouTube to make it look a lot like Doom.

Because I am sure that is what everyone else is doing when you play his modded levels.
Too bad one can't have animating gifs as avatars. >_>

Sammich Image
L.O.L.
The funny thing is that I know who wrote that response to the question.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
So... I just found out about this Cleverbot nonsense (because of that Majora's Mask story... I refuse to use the term 'creepypasta', that just sounds dumb), and I had to get a screenshot of this because I couldn't believe it. And I didn't think anyone else would if I didn't have a screenshot for proof. I actually laughed out loud when it typed that; so unexpected.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8338/toldbycleverbot.png

My typing is the grey, it's the blue... yah...

:034:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
French is dying because it's slowly adding more and more English words for new things, instead of making up their own French word. Oh sure, they do try to make a French word for the stuff, but in most cases they just stick to the English word. The colonies that spoke French are slowly converting towards English. It wouldn't surprise me if within a 100 years, only Quebec, a few random African countries that nobody really bothers with, and France speak French at all. Even then, all three of those places will have quite a number of words from other languages thrown in (English for Quebec/France, the neighboring country's languages and native language for the African countries).

And I would not consider Spanish the second "strongest" language on Earth if you would. It's widely used, but it's an "important" language to learn, unless you're going to South America. I'd consider Chinese Mandarin more important, due to Hong Kong and their expanding business interests all over the world. Probably the same with Japanese, as I have a feeling that it will become a rather important ally for the US within a 100 years, along with South Korea...

On another note: I've sung "Still Alive" with Cleverbot before. :D

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
Can I ask a dumb question? Don't answer that because I'm proceeding anyway despite any permission or lack there of. What are some good approaches with Ike (within his limited options)? Shield-cancel jabs are getting predictable and neutral air always seems to lead me into getting grabbed.

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
If you space your Nair right you won't get grabbed

@Yagami : They definitely don't speak English in France lol. Yeah some people try to speak English when they meet someone from abroad but their english level is not that high cause they speak the English they learnt at school and France has the worst school system in Europe (maybe second from the bottom ._. )

@Niddo : Don't forget Belgium, they speak french in Belgium =p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can I ask a dumb question? Don't answer that because I'm proceeding anyway despite any permission or lack there of. What are some good approaches with Ike (within his limited options)? Shield-cancel jabs are getting predictable and neutral air always seems to lead me into getting grabbed.
shot hop retreating back-airs are a good way to bait your opponent as well. On top of that, you're retreating from your opponent while you get a hit in.

I think you're not looking around to see what else you can do. Look at Snake, his primary approaches are grenades, f-tilt, grab, and jab (maybe). Ike has n-air, spaced f-air, grab, and jab. I just think you need to work on spacing and reading. Remember, there's always critiques going on in the video thread so feel free to upload a close match between you and a friend.

Edit: NIDDO! I forgot to ask. Are you gonna be at that Queso tourny?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
@Niddo : Don't forget Belgium, they speak french in Belgium =p
They won't in a 100 years

@bored: I still don't have any money, and I won't be earning any until later this weekend. And I doubt it would be enough for a tournament. ;_;

Give me a link though, I'll see what I can do. I'd love to go to another tournament. Where is Queso at? >_>

Top Bottom