• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hi guys! This social seems more dead than the Zelda social! How did this happen?

Considering picking this guy up as a secondary/for fun char for Peach (along with Zelda, lol). Good idea, bad?

G~P, what kind of housing is it? It's different depending on whether you live alone or not and whatnot.
Ussi's away, And I'm at a smashfest

It's shared with 7 other people and i think only one other is a student. I live alone in my room and i share my bathroom with one other person

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ussi, our post count buffer, is on hiatus. *points at topic title*

Uhh, what MUs do you want to pick him up for? I think Peach covers most of/does better in most MUs Ike is good at.
No MUs at all although taking a look, Marth and Snake are looking pretty nice. MK is definitely my worst MU in theory, but even though MK is legal where I live, nobody uses him :p I just wanted to use somebody new and Ike seemed pretty fun. Fire Emblem kinda pushed me towards Ike too, and I try to stay away from high tiers :)

Ussi's away, And I'm at a smashfest

It's shared with 7 other people and i think only one other is a student. I live alone in my room and i share my bathroom with one other person
Make some sort of cleaning agreement asap because otherwise nobody's gonna clean and the place is gonna be filthy. Dust will build up everywhere, including the washrooms. Also, discuss food otherwise things will be taken/stolen. I recommend doing dishes immediately because it becomes more of a daunting task as time goes on. I've seen a lot of this stuff and it's super gross >.<

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
No MUs at all although taking a look, Marth and Snake are looking pretty nice. MK is definitely my worst MU in theory, but even though MK is legal where I live, nobody uses him :p I just wanted to use somebody new and Ike seemed pretty fun. Fire Emblem kinda pushed me towards Ike too, and I try to stay away from high tiers :)
Ah, okay. Yeah, Ike is a lot of fun once you get to know his really good traits. I found I started having fun with Ike when I accepted his really glaring flaws lol.

I recommend doing dishes immediately because it becomes more of a daunting task as time goes on. I've seen a lot of this stuff and it's super gross >.<
Omg, this. I've been rooming with a guy this summer that will maybe clean his dishes once a week, and his dishes pile up like crazy. All of our spoons were literally in the sink at one point (I think we have like something like 16 tea/tablespoons total), and I only use spoons for breakfast in the morning and clean them before doing anything else. >_> It gets super frustrating going "hey, can you clean your dishes" every few days, so I've stopped trying. I always think it's annoying when you know someone's cool as a person, but has this kind of trait as a roommate @.@

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Make some sort of cleaning agreement asap because otherwise nobody's gonna clean and the place is gonna be filthy. Dust will build up everywhere, including the washrooms. Also, discuss food otherwise things will be taken/stolen. I recommend doing dishes immediately because it becomes more of a daunting task as time goes on. I've seen a lot of this stuff and it's super gross >.<
Everyone else is already established within the household, Im the only newcomer so i think **** like that is already done
ill do it myself anyways :)
Also watched Ryo and Doom on the stream, Everyone in the uk smashmansion was shouting MESSATSU at the screen when ryo was going in

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
13th out of 42 at a MK banned tourney. I am bad. :l
That's not bad at all. Good job :)

Ah, okay. Yeah, Ike is a lot of fun once you get to know his really good traits. I found I started having fun with Ike when I accepted his really glaring flaws lol.
Oh can you list just a few of each?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The good:
-Power You can pretty much guarantee a kill move is
-Most damaging jab combo in the game, And very god jab cancelling
-The range
-Transcendant priortiy on all aerial (this means it can go through nado at all times)
The bad:
-The speed. Only 3 moves with decent speed
-Mobility, He doesn't have it
-He can get camped...hard
-His recovery is bad and slow
The ugly:
-This hitbox (note the gaps)
http://i36.tinypic.com/2zny24o.gif

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Oh can you list just a few of each?
Good:

+Jab and grab game. I'm sure you already know about his jab, but he's got the Bthrow->DA combo that gets people offstage easily, and Fthrow/Bthrow CG/infinites on some walls in certain situations. Also, Dthrow is really good at low %s for frame traps and platform reads.
+Viable and strong kill options. Bair, Uair, and Ftilt are really good kill moves and should usually be fresh enough since you have jab to refresh your moves and even if one move is good in a MU, the others will be fresh.
+Walling out options with Fair and retreating Bair. You can create a decent wall against taller/bigger enemies with full hop Fairs, and a well-spaced retreating Bair is more or less unpunishable. These let Ike control his space and force riskier approaches.
+A couple of frame traps with Nair and USmash make the task of getting kills from someone approaching the ground easier than it normally would be, though not always easy to set up.

Bad:

-Recovery. Ike's second jump is only okay, and he can take loads of damage offstage because it often turns into rock-paper-scissors with air dodges and wall of pain tactics. Aether has plenty of ways to get messed up, but most of them won't (and most of the time, shouldn't) get you killed, but that tacks on damage. Quick Draw you have to be smart about using, usually the safest way to use it is from high up, otherwise you're screwed @.@
-Has problems with camping and planking, which is part of what hurts him against Falco and Olimar. If another character sets the pace at long-range, Ike may have trouble getting in.
-Not really specific to Ike, but powershielding can wreck Ike pretty badly. The real weakness here is the very long cooldown on a majority of his moves, which is why a powershield will be so effective. As a result, you may notice Ikes don't use too many different moves (Nair, Fair, jab, Bair are really the staples), because they involve more risk. At the very least, I notice I do considerably better when my total Smash attacks are less than 5 lol. Then again, I only play MKs in bracket so...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow thanks a lot for that! I guess I'll practise a lot more against CPUs and bring him to smashfests and tourneys. I don't mind placing last a few times with Ike.

I can see Falco and Olimar giving Ike a hard time :( Luckily Peach covers Olimar and Falco/Peach is my favourite matchup :)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's mobility isn't that bad. I thought his aerial speed was around Toon Link's or Pikachu's (one of the two, can't remember who), and his dash speed certainly isn't bad.

As others have said: excellent jab game and killing power. With his jab's hitstun and bthrow to dash attack, Ike is one of the better comboers in the game. Kinda. Depends on how you look at it. And any move that isn't Uthrow, Fthrow, or Bthrow can kill, though obviously you don't want to be going for kills with Nair or Dsmash.

Learn how to jab cancel, and learn how to mix up your recovery the little bit Ike can. After that just learn the timing for bthrow -> dash attack. You use Peach and Zelda, I'm going to assume you know how to space but in a nutshell: if you want quick spacing options use bair, if you want massive range use retreating fair, if you want something in between or with more lingering frames use nair.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Razer lost to Ryo, Reflex lost to Ryo.. All I have heard regarding Ike.... Ryo beat Shaky. (Shaky beat Trela)... Ryo vs Atomsk now game 3.. If he wins he is guaranteed 4th so he is already top 5... Ryo got 5th lost game 3 to atomsk barely.. really close

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Razer lost to Ryo, Reflex lost to Ryo.. All I have heard regarding Ike.... Ryo beat Shaky. (Shaky beat Trela)... Ryo vs Atomsk now game 3.. If he wins he is guaranteed 4th so he is already top 5... Ryo got 5th lost game 3 to atomsk barely.. really close
Ryo beat Razer? Good **** man.

The Top 5 thread doesn't mean much if Ike mains aren't getting results or placing well in tournaments so it's good to see Ryo going in against players like Razer and Atomsk.

I'll try to make some noise at ReveLAtions.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ryo is currently best Ike.

By the way. Remember how I always choke?
Now the game does it for me.

Lost 3 pools/tourney sets due to falling through ledge. Drowned in pools after taking Dojo to last stock last game. Go figure.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Ryo for best Ike, currently. Mr. Doom for...worst SDI Guy ever. And don't try to get me to come back into the scene.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Shoutouts to Ryo playing me in mid tier doubles. Shoutouts to him losing game 1 because they went double Sonic. >:[

:phone:

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ike's slow start-up on his aerials is very problematic against mobile ground characters too. It makes Ike very easy to pressure as often the only way to avoid things to me seems to be air dodging. Our air mobility (NOT air speed) is pretty bad too, it ruins the spacing against fast characters, forcing me to play very risky against them :( Double jumping helps that a bit but unfortunately not completely. Another problem I feel Ike has is that his OoS options are OK at best. He has no solid punish against moves with huge amount of shield push. I wish too that Ike's dash grab was a bit faster and that his grab range was as long as Marth's.

About a strength not mentioned, it's that Ike is amazing at punishing ledge get ups. Fair and Nair cover so many ledge get up options and are really safe to spam when they're on the ledge.

And amazing job Ryo! You have too much fantasy in your head when you're playing the game.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Shoutouts to Ryo for that match against Atomsk... holy crap, that was intense.
I was so drunk watching that match, Shouting at the screen and **** lol

By the way. Remember how I always choke?
Now the game does it for me.

Lost 3 pools/tourney sets due to falling through ledge. Drowned in pools after taking Dojo to last stock last game. Go figure.
John
but seriously, Thats unfortunate

Ryo for best Ike, currently. Mr. Doom for...worst SDI Guy ever. And don't try to get me to come back into the scene.
Haha, You're so famous for your sdi everyone expects to see broken stuff from you lol
Nice play though. I was so torn between people when you were playing espy and kprime, Friends playing against eachother. cheering for both teams lol

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ryo called me on the phone, I missed WHOBO 4 stream! Sounded amazing, watched the only YT vid of them up so far.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ike's slow start-up on his aerials is very problematic against mobile ground characters too. It makes Ike very easy to pressure as often the only way to avoid things to me seems to be air dodging. Our air mobility (NOT air speed) is pretty bad too, it ruins the spacing against fast characters, forcing me to play very risky against them :( Double jumping helps that a bit but unfortunately not completely. Another problem I feel Ike has is that his OoS options are OK at best. He has no solid punish against moves with huge amount of shield push. I wish too that Ike's dash grab was a bit faster and that his grab range was as long as Marth's.

About a strength not mentioned, it's that Ike is amazing at punishing ledge get ups. Fair and Nair cover so many ledge get up options and are really safe to spam when they're on the ledge.

And amazing job Ryo! You have too much fantasy in your head when you're playing the game.
Thanks! You guys sure are enthusiastic about Ike, lol.

Got a couple more questions... what % should I consider doing back throw to dash attack? How is Ike's fair as ledge get-up attack (I have a habit of this from Peach)?

Working full time and taking a class in the summer really cuts down on Brawl time... :(

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Back throw to dash attack is dependent on the character you are facing (weight properties.) With that being said, generally speaking, the 50% and above range is when you can start doing it.

Far as Ike's f-air used as a get up from edge attack, I like it, though I believe you can also use n-air, which has less lag on landing.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Nair is fully possible and probably the better option of the two

On the other hand, The timing is reasonably strict and if you dont get up onto the stage, You will die

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh thanks you guys! You're so much quicker and more (actually) responsive than the Peaches and Zeldas! I will defs try that out before I head to work!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Back throw to dash attack is dependent on the character you are facing (weight properties.) With that being said, generally speaking, the 50% and above range is when you can start doing it.

Far as Ike's f-air used as a get up from edge attack, I like it, though I believe you can also use n-air, which has less lag on landing.
50%? I thought only two characters were above 30%, and they were like 32%.

Get up options from the edge: Fair and Nair are the best if you actually want to get up on stage with the attack, though you can drop down and aether a few times to create some space first. I also like to mix it up with using Counter to get on stage: killed a D3 who was charging up his Fsmash doing that before. Quickdraw is another way to mix it up, though obviously use it rather sparingly/out of an edge grab jump in order to reach a higher platform.

Happy B-day GP.

Great job Ryo, I want to see the vids.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Happy Birthday G~P!

I can't get a nair for the life of me. I can get a bit of the startup but can't get a reasonable part of the move out in time :(

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Also: It seems like Florida is full of loud, self-important douche bags (N.Riddle especially). It's hard to believe they're from the same planet as Ryo and his doubles partner, True Blue, let alone the same state.

Ryo's a down-to-Earth, cool guy who's fun to game with. I feel ashamed for expecting him to be more like the other people from his state and any less chill than he really is.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Also: It seems like Florida is full of loud, self-important douche bags (N.Riddle especially). It's hard to believe they're from the same planet as Ryo and his doubles partner, True Blue, let alone the same state.

Ryo's a down-to-Earth, cool guy who's fun to game with. I feel ashamed for expecting him to be more like the other people from his state and any less chill than he really is.
It's the all that excess salt from the land of the salt machines (GA), pouring down into Florida is all. :awesome:

Top Bottom