• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh, You see from what i had heard of Touhou from you guys, I assumed that it was a standard 2d fighter...That don't look like a standard 2d fighter to me

Either that or the super moves are really screwy

Heartstring

Smash Legend
But the only one's we see are lolita, because that's how you and Sen roll

You guys had better appreciate the amount of effort I'm putting in to actually checking my posts, it takes valuable time away :p

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Alright, now then..

What are our options when dealing with people landing behind our shield and a lot of the time, not having many frames of vulnerability.. (like Marth using nair and landing behind you, this got me a lot)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If they're hitting you from the front they may expect a shield-grab attempt, in which case they'll probably use a Dolphin Slash immediately after the Nair... if you can bait or read it, just keep holding your shield on obviously and it's a free smash.

From behind is a different story... to be honest there's not much you can do besides try to pivot and Jab and hope he doesn't do something too fast, hold your shield on and see if he's dumb enough to use upB even though your back is to him, or roll away. Maybe roll behind him, that way if he goes for a DB you can quickly punish with Jab, just don't make a habit of rolling behind him, mix it up.

:248:

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
cougholdhagcough

Ussi, you could have taken a picture of Youmu's bullets yourself. Unless you don't have PCB/IN.
Clearly you missed the joke about Yukari's age
Anywhom, stick is working, but am also breaking in my PowerA controller a bit more. Old 360 wireless one is about to bite the dust from what I am seeing.

C.J.

Smash Master
For what it's worth, Marth's nair (done perfectly) is +1 on shield so you can't really punish it. Grab may frame trap if he panic spotdodges. Jab will clash with our jab (assuming PS so there's no shield drop time) and trade with DB1.
However, it's unlikely that they'll consistently get the +1 advantage so you have slightly more options however, you still have to be quick. If they dash away, it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything.
If I were you, and had Marth land behind me (nair, uair, bair) I would retreating FH/SH bair OoS and try to get back to neutral.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
this song doesn't really stick to me. MK is banned doesn't sound good and since that's the chorus there goes the song.

For what it's worth, Marth's nair (done perfectly) is +1 on shield so you can't really punish it. Grab may frame trap if he panic spotdodges. Jab will clash with our jab (assuming PS so there's no shield drop time) and trade with DB1.
However, it's unlikely that they'll consistently get the +1 advantage so you have slightly more options however, you still have to be quick. If they dash away, it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything.
If I were you, and had Marth land behind me (nair, uair, bair) I would retreating FH/SH bair OoS and try to get back to neutral.
blargh, i'm just gonna roll away or try to turn around before shielding.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Wut. "MK's banned" isn't even said more than twice in a row... >_> ah well, w/e.

I'm pretty sure Bair won't hit Marth if he lands behind you with a Nair, unless you wait for him to return to his neutral stance again.

C.J.

Smash Master
Well bair OoS is like frame 13 or something right? No way that will hit Marth no matter what unless he waits for your roll/spotdodge. I suggest that specifically as it creates a wall of "wtf that hurts" while moving away for safety. You're just trying to reset neutral positioning at this point imo. Hitting them is just a bonus if it happens but not the goal itself.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Yeah, but retreating SH Bair is unsafe at that range since you aren't hitting his shield (not entirely sure how safe it is even if you do hit his shield instead). Marth can just follow while Ike's still in the air and get a DB before Ike hits the ground or Fair. It would be better to just empty SH away if you're going to jump at all.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well bair OoS is like frame 13 or something right? No way that will hit Marth no matter what unless he waits for your roll/spotdodge. I suggest that specifically as it creates a wall of "wtf that hurts" while moving away for safety. You're just trying to reset neutral positioning at this point imo. Hitting them is just a bonus if it happens but not the goal itself.
OoS bair is said to be 15 frames.. though reading the frame data thread again, Ike is airborne on the 8th frame after jumping.. now if bair can start on the 8th frame then it'd be 14 frames... hmmmm

oh and hai Ryko

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Alright, now then..

What are our options when dealing with people landing behind our shield and a lot of the time, not having many frames of vulnerability.. (like Marth using nair and landing behind you, this got me a lot)
My autopilot reaction would be to OOS B-air it. I'm trying to teach myself to stop doing this though, as most characters are too short to get hit by it when landing. What i do depends on how the opponent reacts, I'll spotdodge after they hit, if they try to attack then i evade and get the hit (usually) and if they wait to punish my reaction, then i'll just attack in future scenario's

Also guys, I saw a guy attempting suicide at work today. Blood EVERYWHERE
Apparently, /b/ has been preparing me for this

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Whoa that's harsh GP... I don't know how I would handle that myself.
I don't mind the blood but seeing a coworker trying to end his life next to me (well at least in your sight) would shake me more than a little.

What happened to the guy?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
That's horrible, GP. Do you know of any ails he may have been having?
:pinkiepie:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Also guys, I saw a guy attempting suicide at work today. Blood EVERYWHERE
Apparently, /b/ has been preparing me for this
You know, I'm a douche bag and all. I'll clearly admit it. But what you said crossed a line, and just further stereotyped people who hang out on internet forums are desensitized to real life.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
That's pretty heavy... wow.

On a lighter note...
High School of the Dead is probably the silliest damn show I have ever seen.
Would not recommend to anyone uncomfortable with gratuitous sexuality. (Gogo Japan.)

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
It might very well be GP's way to deal with it to try and take it casually as he is now. Which anyone could do, internet forums or not.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You know, I'm a douche bag and all. I'll clearly admit it. But what you said crossed a line, and just further stereotyped people who hang out on internet forums are desensitized to real life.
Well, this is the internet, I figured you guys wouldn't care too much

If you must know, It's bothered me a great deal to see not so much the blood, but the pure misery and hopelessness that this usually chirpy man was showing.
But i thank the internet, because the desensitisation to gore meant that i was able to react considerably faster to the situation than a normal person and help the poor man, had i have been overcome with the shock of seeing him in such a state AND incredibly badly wounded at the same time, i might not have been able to act properly and he could have ended up dying.

As of this point in time, he is in hospital in critical condition, We hadn't received any news of him waking up as of when i left work. But he was stable, luckily he had a fairly common blood type, so they were able to give him some in the ambulance rather than having to wait untill they reached the hospital. It's likely i won't be seeing the man again, Because he was hired through an agency and therefore not legally tied to the company. But we will hear about his recovery at least.

And that ends my text wall i guess. its not so much that im desensitised as it is that i don't think it's my place to go and bother people who i dont actually know outside of the internet with things like this

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Someone tried to sell me Modern Warfare 3 the other day

me:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, this is the internet, I figured you guys wouldn't care too much
Why would we not care? What thought process do you take in order to think that we wouldn't care for someone who committed suicide in front of your eyes? There's two layers. One, if the person being alright, and two you, the person who is part of the Ike community, let alone smashboards.

If you must know, It's bothered me a great deal to see not so much the blood, but the pure misery and hopelessness that this usually chirpy man was showing.
Hey, the post you should have made earlier.

But i thank the internet, because the desensitisation to gore meant that i was able to react considerably faster to the situation than a normal person and help the poor man, had i have been overcome with the shock of seeing him in such a state AND incredibly badly wounded at the same time, i might not have been able to act properly and he could have ended up dying.
Congrats, you listed an example about yourself when the majority of cases and research points to more negative behavior. Case and point being how a girl in a group, who often end up sexting, sending nudes, results in the boys of the group, ****** the girl, because they don't feel it's wrong DESPITE her protests.

I don't know if it's your desensitization to the internet, your overall immaturity level, a coping mechanism, or simply the fact you are anonymous on the internet that you can say something so stupid.

You might have used it as a coping mechanism, but I really doubt that. If you wanted to cope, you would have talked to someone about it, and were you to come on here, you would have been more mature about it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Alright, now then..

Also, don't understand, how did Marth get behind you so easily? Were you just stuck in shield? Just using a nair when marth is above is pretty easy and safe to do.

if you get stuck in shield, you can try to powershield punish, turnaround jab, or bair. Marth's nair isn't that safe unless the last part hits you, and we can just whack him out of it if he tries to get the difficult timing.

Top Bottom