• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I didn't start playing offline much until I got to State College in fall '09. And I've only been to one Philly tourney (DSO 4 or w/e # it was), and I went 0-2 since I sucked back then and it was my first tourney. >_>

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
Since Berserker posted his here, I thought you Ike's might want to have a little laugh at my expense. For more serious discussion of my play, I posted on the video critique board recently the second link here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbzIn5ytl4&feature=related

Watch particularly what I do at the end of the first game, it is the most failtastic thing you will ever see possibly. How we ended up winning the set after that first game, (and the start of the second where I gimp my teammate when he had 7%) is beyond me.

Here's the other one which I posted under video critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVGDQ9Adx8

On video critique I drew your attention to games 1 and 2, because I at least only made a lot of mistakes in them as opposed to game 3. Watch game 3 for laughs, my thought process must have been, "nairs were really helpful in spacing and helping you win game 2, so stop using them". Also I must've been like, "short hop badly and full hop badly, and do not care about spacing with your fair, it's not like it will get punished".

There's also a video I'm not even bothering linking to of me getting demolished by lain even worse than berserker did. It's quite humorous, but I figured enough laughs were to be had here.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Watch particularly what I do at the end of the first game, it is the most failtastic thing you will ever see possibly. How we ended up winning the set after that first game, (and the start of the second where I gimp my teammate when he had 7%) is beyond me.
Wow yah, not gonna lie, that was pretty terrible, lol. 2v1 situations where an Ike is one of the 2 should pretty much always be guaranteed win; so many great kill set-ups for a lot of characters... although Mario I can't see being too good of a partner for Ike.

And you won the set because Ike is top tier in doubles. That's why Croi and I are the best team in NS... it helps too that Wario is also top tier in doubles of course.

:248:

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Sure I could write one if there isn't any at IGN. A link would save me the time to search the page of whose you are the admin.

I'm just currently seeing the things I could better in that link I posted. Some details seemed like it was written by someone who just skimmed over Ike's character and move-set; thereby missing some important traits of some of his moves.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm fine with the SWF guide and info.

Anways, if you have any spare time there's an unofficial poll going on on what people think about MK, if you feel like it.

"Meta Knight Should Be Banned" Petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/mk_banned/

"Meta Knight Should Remain Legal" Petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/mk_legal/
I honestly don't care about MK being banned or not. I feel like I'm getting hold of the MU very well. If I lose, it's on me for not outplaying my opponent, not the MU being 3-7. But that's just my personal outlook. Would not mind seeing him in tourney or out.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was interested in looking at uncharged eruption as a mixup but 31 frames is too long for me (25 frames until super armor).

Fullhop uncharged eruption is goofy though.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The ratio on this petition is amazing, to say the least.
OH. Jeebus .____.

I was interested in looking at uncharged eruption as a mixup but 31 frames is too long for me (25 frames until super armor).

Fullhop uncharged eruption is goofy though.
I got a KO with Eruption today. Was able to time the SA frames appropriately this time, and I was able to use it as an anti-air when Marth used up his second jump.

People are saying that you shouldn't approach Ike in the air, and his ground game is limited to his incredible jabs. Anyone have an opinion on this? I was pretty certain Ike's aerial game was not all that safe.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I honestly don't care about MK being banned or not. I feel like I'm getting hold of the MU very well. If I lose, it's on me for not outplaying my opponent, not the MU being 3-7. But that's just my personal outlook. Would not mind seeing him in tourney or out.
Then you don't know any good Metas.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
OH. Jeebus .____.

I got a KO with Eruption today. Was able to time the SA frames appropriately this time, and I was able to use it as an anti-air when Marth used up his second jump.

People are saying that you shouldn't approach Ike in the air, and his ground game is limited to his incredible jabs. Anyone have an opinion on this? I was pretty certain Ike's aerial game was not all that safe.
Well, you shouldn't approach Ike from the air (carelessly, rather than not at all) because he has grounded moves that can combat aerial approaches, like Utilt and USmash (even FSmash if you like to use moves that lean the character back, but that's gonna be godly spacing).

And Ike's ground game is augmented by his FF Nair/Fair. A lot of times, you can set up a good ground offense by coming down with these moves. It's kinda odd to talk about his aerial/ground aspects separately, since they're rather inter-weaved IMO.

As a side note, I'm still neutral on MK. He's dumb, but there are equally dumb things with other characters. I also think players themselves need to step it up and not just go to him to play to win. Yes, he's the best choice, but when you're making a switch from someone like Falco to MK....you're just increasing your chances by minimal amounts overall, not just individual bad MUs.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Wouldn't eruption as a mixup (as an offensive move i mean) be the same as fsmash? there's only a couple of frame difference b/w the two. It's only just that Ike raises his sword quickly in eruption animation that may panic the opponent and he get's a ~5 frame SA. I'm more for using eruption as a surprise attack to advancing characters. It has gotten more hits than misses (ofcourse you'll have to time it).

btw, anyone notice that non-charged eruption's vertical range is about the same as usmash range and fully charged one's even bigger? (I believe Kirk missed out the final small hitbox of uncharged eruption at the very top)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was on the fence for the longest, but the recent data convinced me. Either way, I think something should be done now that the unrest over him is pretty high, so someone thought of something like an unofficial poll. I think that everything regarding him in general (including the arguments over him) just brings so many negative things with it.

I pretty much practice against MK every chance I get when I play the game.

@Animist

No, it isn't quite the same as a smash attack. You can actually use eruption in the air. I don't recommend starting eruption on the ground, unless you're on a platform.
Let's say you're on a side platform on BF, and you can short hop eruption, or full hop eruption to the top platform. Not that you would do something like that, but being able to do stuff like that makes it different since you still release the hitbox when you're on the ground, but some of the startup is taken up in the air.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Yeah sure, but what I was trying to imply was that eruption does fit well as an anti-air against aerial characters. Ofcourse the timing would be strict but it still seems an option non-the-less, specially if you mixup alot of nairs and fairs before it. Plus we can hold it so as soon as we see the character spotdodge, we release and the hitbox will be out when their spotdodge (or AD in case of advancing aerial characters) finishes.

It's all theorycrafting but I do see some potential here.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, that's why I looked up the frame data and was like, too slow to use on reaction. Well, it's better than counter anyways =p

I still stand by my previous statements that fullhop, then hold eruption near the edge when a character is returning is pretty good/useful. It does eat up their air dodge and attacks pretty easily.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Not sure if this is very practical and some people may already know, but if we powershield one hit of MK's fair/bair, if we're fast enough and jab immediately, it can hit MK inbetween hits. I previously believed jab was too slow. Just furthers my notion that powershield to jab is amazingly good.

Of course, there are complications with this, but if the timing is off, you both get hit.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Bored's right, music made me lol. That match is just, wat.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i NEED to show that game to calz next time i go over to his, he's gonna rage hard at how bad that snake was
OR hes gonna use it at another arguement at to why snake ike is 50.50/ikes favour -__-

also, im currently trying to figure out at what point this become pony threa 2.0

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Fighting for our friends doesn't mean we have to show them sympathy.

Ryo's really stepped up his game alot, gathering from all his recent matches. I'd like to see him versus Ally or M2K.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You Ikes and your sympathy mumbo jumbo. We all fight for our friends, what's the problem?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Ryo's really stepped up his game alot, gathering from all his recent matches. I'd like to see him versus Ally or M2K.
Well, he has, but that last video against the Snake isn't a great indicator. That Snake player had all the signs of a casual who just showed up for a tourney once, he jumped and cypher'd straight into everything and never changed his strategy at all.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Well, he has, but that last video against the Snake isn't a great indicator. That Snake player had all the signs of a casual who just showed up for a tourney once, he jumped and cypher'd straight into everything and never changed his strategy at all.

beginning to sound similar to me from a few weeks ago
only jsut changed that

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
So... If MK ends up being banned, I'm quitting this game. I spent too much time practicing against the locals here just for it all to go to waste. I know. I'll make MK legal at my tournaments.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oo, Ryo did call and say some videos were coming up soon.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303

I gathered that he's a great player by [QOUTE] gathering from all his recent matches [END QOUTE]

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ideo_date_uploaded&suggested_categories=20,22

EDIT: You guys can call me by this post count number in order to get directions to anywhere in America.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
You Ikes and your sympathy mumbo jumbo. We all fight for our friends, what's the problem?
/randomramblingfromthelocalIkelolicon
The dirty secret about Ike is he is .05% dere, and 99.95% no sympathy. You can't really see that .05% because it practially is only shown in his actions, not emotions. Thus Fighting for his friends
/endrambling

As for that Ryo vid, lol at the music, and lol also at the comment at how "cheap" Ike was. That snake was read like a book during juniors bedtime story.

"And the snake then slithered away under his cardboard box, hiding the salt covered wounds that the Griel Mercenary had inflicted upon him"

Robfox

Smash Lord
damn this character discussion is small 0__o
but yea
HOW DOES THIS JAB UNJAB JAB THING WORK !!!

Edit: That platform cancel > Dair @ the end of that vid made me cream sauce

Edit #2: NVM I watched Berserker swordsman vids lol

Top Bottom