• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
QD is decent as long as you find ways not to hit the opponent. They should've made it so we make the slash ourselves, or make it like Diddy's.

I'm not too sure about making a move tier list. They all have their uses at times.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Aerial Battle: Begin charging QD by suddenly jumping towards the opponent so the opponent ADs on reaction and then wait for their AD to finish and hit them.

I think it seems plausible.

EDIT: I"M PAST MY 500th POST???? OMG I DIDN'T REALISE. CHANGING AVATAR NAOWW.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm pretty sure once you start QD you're locked into your current fall speed, so you'd have to be falling at exactly the same rate as them or it wouldn't work. There's that weird part of QD's hitbox near the top that detects a target and attacks but can't hit the target; doing it while falling against someone who's also falling has a risk of that. You couldn't follow it up at all, since you'd be in helpless state for some time even after hitting them.

If they end up behind you it's not so bad because you can use the QD when you land (or right before you land, depending on whether or not you'll go off-stage from the momentum) and gtfo of there. Still, there are definitely better ways to bait and punish air dodges IMO.

:248:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Everyone AD's ike's nair too early anyways. They see the sword and goo "omg! AD!!' oh sheeet it lasts foreveeeeer!!"

The hitbox wasn't out yet...

But then we FF to jab while the AD happening... Boooom

Nair slays AD

:phone:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
why come Ikes pivot grab so good?
Ike can pivot grab his own fair if the other Ike isn't retreating it.

Ike's pivot grab has a nice vertical range, making it ideal against most aerials in the game, as well as airdodges.

Fair can also frame trap non fastfall airdodge, if we full hop fair and fast fall halfway through the descent, or maybe short hop fast fall fair if you're lucky. Of course nair is good (and best onstage), too, but fair has more uses if used near the edge of the stage. (hits opponents hanging on ledge, covers some getup options, shield pushes off). Nair is just our best all-purpose generally safe attack.

I also like to nair someone's shield near the ledge and jab their edge slip. It only really works if you time nair really well (hit them right when you land). Jab1 to edgeslip to jab2 also works on a good portion of the cast, which is why I sometimes grounded grab release near the edge if I don't think they'll try to powershield.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I was playing around lylat and started practicing ledge drop > mid jump AD onto stage.

Got some tips for people having trouble:

To ledge hop onto the stage like lylat, ps1, cs part 1, etc... You have to let go of the ledge, jump without any direction input for half a second then towards the stage. You AD before you input the direction to the stage.. This way you don't end up under the stage... Of course lylat tilting up = GG

Also just to notify... Stages with permissible surfaces (halberd, delfino, brinstar) are impossible to ledge drop AD onto for Ike since his jump is too short..

I've just started to think..

People who like to ledge hop only the stage should be CP'd to lylat so they have a harder time of they don't know the timing..

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Can you pivot grab a tornado?

yeah and by advancing QD aerial charge, I didn't mean soo close that they would end up behind you. Like 2 or so meters distance apart. Oh well, thats enough of that.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Short hop QD chase after hitting them away with something like jab3 after mid % is legit. You get to the other side of the stage very quickly.

Ike lols at nado.
MK lols at reaction time.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Man, this social thread moves fast and y'all actually talk about Ike?

Low tiers are so weird.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've only ever been to one low tier tournament, too. That was one of the easiest tournaments ever.

That also reminds me that I want to obtain precise frame data for bthrow to running skid canceled grab.

It takes 10 frames for Ike to go from dash to shield, and his grab is 7 frames. If it takes an extra frame to skid or something like that, that's ~18 frames.

DA from bthrow true combos and it's ~18 frames.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
San lost only 1 game the entire bracket

Blargh i already turned off my wii... i would checked, i even had my frame by frame code on.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I lost so I could CP Japes :troll:

Checking Kirk's topic, for buffered dash attack, it's an extra frame to dash, so it's 19 frames after bthrow at least then.

The only limiting factor is the actual distance away they are.

The deciding factor is their landing animation (forced, and an extension of their hurtbox), and if they're actually vulnerable for even a frame during it.

I tested it by hand quite a few times and it just wasn't consistent, sometimes I got a regrab sometimes I didn't, and this was before I knew of skid canceled grab (just did regular running shield grab before). Asked some people in the smash lab and I'm not sure if they were thorough enough.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Man, this social thread moves fast and y'all actually talk about Ike?

Low tiers are so weird.
Lol you call this Fast?

Check out the "ssb for Wii U" under "General Brawl Discussion".
I could link it but screw the rules I have lethargy.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
I've only ever been to one low tier tournament, too. That was one of the easiest tournaments ever.

That also reminds me that I want to obtain precise frame data for bthrow to running skid canceled grab.

It takes 10 frames for Ike to go from dash to shield, and his grab is 7 frames. If it takes an extra frame to skid or something like that, that's ~18 frames.

DA from bthrow true combos and it's ~18 frames.
I wish FL had more low/mid tier tourneys in my area. Everyone is so top tier happy that it's not even worth going far for a tourney anymore. It's not even fun. So hellbent on winning like...$49? Really? I'm just gonna go if they're close-by and MM people.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Ussi, the set where I triple eruption'd the MK wasn't recorded. Saving replays against people I don't really know and who get demolished like that is something I don't do.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
MKs used to jump into eruption like last year, thinking sideB was safe to recover with. Oh well.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You just need really good/lucky timing, and I'm not sure if we can/can't hit MK if timed perfectly and they attempt to snap to the ledge.

Eruption is okay to use if they're horizontally offstage and they can't snap to the ledge with upB.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
New tier list.

We just went above Shielda and Luigi..

So dat low tier tourney.... I think low tier tournies are dead now.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Inui will still allow Ike in low tier tourneys.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is still even MUs with Sheik, somewhat Yoshi, and maybe Ness?

Top of low tier after all...

UpA UpA eruption baby! ike taking it home

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Welp, with Ike where he is on the tier list, there is only one thing to do:

Figure out a way to get more results, so both him and Sonic can be placed higher than Pit. :troll:

Top Bottom