• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
It might be just you. As far as I can tell, he just pops up a little bit after using side-b to the ledge and not snapping onto it properly. Wolf does this as well with his side-b.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
no, i see what he means, i assume it just that the game registers the quick draw cancel as ledgesnapping but actually doesnt, like wolfs side-b.
otherwise we'd just go into helpless

@cyve: hi thar, were you at dogusch?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah the QDC gives you your double-jump back, which is why he's able to do it twice. Good thing to remember if you do it accidentally.

:248:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I can easily say ZSS is potentially the biggest MU I have trouble playing. I really don't enjoy playing this MU at all as Ike, I switch to Samus 90% of the time. :/
My biggest aspect is attempting to punish her Side+B, Jab, and Utilt. I don't know about too many of her good OoS options besides Nair or Uair. Halp meh pweez? :<

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I hate this MU too... Dash shield is the key here, the absolute key. her grab is balls, she can't really rely on it. Her Utilt is fast and put us in a bad position but it has some big cool down, punish it if she whiffs.
oh and eruption on her DownB recovery is too much fun *trollface*

on another note, I was watching one of your set Nysyarc ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVAWn-3Cvc&feature=feedu ) and wanted to point some things to you. Obviously this is not a critique or anything (btw thanks for your critique). friendly advice :I

You had the first match... 3:50 edgehog then uair his ***

and again at 6:17 man oo Well Uair wouldn't have killed.
6:19 too bad you chose Fsmash x3 Usmash would've caught him behind you during his lag from the 3rd jump glitch.
11:16 hell yeahhh

you do such a nice job getting under him with usmash!

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
...Nair is a good OoS option for ZSS? It never looked like a good move at all to me.

I never really attempt to punish the SideB unless there's a clear aerial route where I can make her eat a Fair. Otherwise, just space yourself right outside of it when it comes out and rush her afterwards to get inside. Her jab is kinda a joke....You can shield the 3rd jab easily, or just mash jab in-between her own. Utilt's a pretty good OoS option for her, so be warily of it when pressing her shield closely. It's almost mostly unavoidable if you catches you with the dash attack->Utilt combo should you DI wrong.

And while risky, her grab can be a mixup for her B move. If you're caught in the shield stun, you'll still get grabbed.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ugh, zero suit, i actualyl have to resort to my Quarternary character for this matchup, kirby
ike, rob and ganon all hate this XD
luckily no regular tournament go-ers use zero suit

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I used to be decent vs ZSS when I had snakeee in my region (and even then, only played his ZSS like 5-6 times ever). I don't really understand the character too well, but ZSS' light weight is astounding.

The best vids right now are Rydle vs Neji and even that's very outdated.

ZSS pieces are the only projectile I suck at handling, too.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if im fighting a zero suit and i get an item peice, i throw it in the direction of the other peices, chances are zero sut is going for them, and may get hit by it. otherwise, i get rid of it, i cant gain much by using them as theyre probably better with the peices than me

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's not worth to experiment too much if you don't play ZSS a lot, since they only appear at spawn.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
ZSS has a huge blindspot, and that's out of her jab range. Your jab outranges her jab. Of course dash shield is a good option, but ZSS players I faced were able to grab me if I didn't spot-dodge. However, if she misses with grab, it's a free f-smash or f-tilt, whichever you prefer.
Don't try to punish d-smash. Her one-frame jab will stop you if you try to approach.
One thing I see ZSS like to do a lot when someone is close to her is to spot-dodge to u-tilt. If you see that she's spot-dodging, chances are she's going to u-tilt afterwards.
Never air-dodge into ZSS. Her d-smash will wreck your mind.
She's a gimmicky character, yes. I rarely play against ZSS, unfortunately, so everything I've said so far is out of what I do remember about the match-up.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm trying to think of the best way to make a strategy guide for each MU. It could be a nice summer project for me :)

Also, @Berserker

When you coming up to Rochester?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
ZSS is definitely frustrating. Fast and can "combo" you up for a lot of damage. Plus you have to be cautious when trying to aether back on stage cause of their foward + B. Personally, I would get rid of the items in a tourny match, but friendlies I like to experiment. Idea is to get past her projectiles and whip, so you can jab...but that's easier said than done.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I really only have issues with side B. Guess I'm not playing patient enough, since I try to punish it so much :/ Any good way for us to recover past Dsmash? I haven't been edgehogged by side B yet, but I'll play it safe, just a precaution.

:phone:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Try to avoid using aether too much, but if you do,

you have to make them guess how far you bring aether out, depending on which direction you hold while spinning in the air. You can move forward/back enough to disrupt both downB and sideB.

I guess most of us don't really have too much exp in the MU. I can beat ZSS players, but I don't really know too much about the MU to really talk about it.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i suppose to make a rough guide to playing again characters, i can imagine that giving a list of which 3 or 4 moves are the best to use in a mu and conversely which ones you should avoid using (that you would normally use alot)

and although you werent talking to me, i use zero, hulk and tron

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
At the moment, really just Dante. I can play some other characters, but he's the only one I've somewhat learned so far. Still trying to figure out who I would like my other two to be. Some possible characters I'm thinking of are Wolverine, Ryu, Felicia, and Chun-Li.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Is Dash Attacking a Snake who is trying to pull out a Grenade a good idea? And can rolling behind him be a good idea if they start spamming spaced tilts or is there a better option to punish them? There is a Snake who is giving me trouble with his shield camping with a Grenade in hand and I need help knowing how to approach him.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Is Dash Attacking a Snake who is trying to pull out a Grenade a good idea? And can rolling behind him be a good idea if they start spamming spaced tilts or is there a better option to punish them? There is a Snake who is giving me trouble with his shield camping with a Grenade in hand and I need help knowing how to approach him.
Well if he just sits there with his shield on and grenade in hand, either don't approach and let him wear down his shield (make like you're going to approach but keep at a safe distance) or run up and grab him. If he spot-dodges when you run up, read it the next time. Also be ready for the DACUS, if you're far enough away you can bait it and easily punish with Jabs.

Dash Attack is great if Snake is lobbing the grenades by simply letting go of B, because it can sneak under the nades and knock Snake off stage if he's near the ledge. However if he's shield-dropping them it's a different story and DA is usually not a good idea.

As for tilt spam, the tip of Fair will easily outrange his tilts, so it's just a spacing contest. He can punish your whiffs much more easily than you can punish his though; thus your other option is to get in close quickly, shield the tilts or use a well-timed spot dodge (make sure you're not throwing spot dodges out randomly though) and punish with Jabs.

Snake will destroy your rolls though, so rolling behind him isn't a good idea.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
For those messing up bthrow to dash attack, the solution is very simple.

It doesn't have much to do with timing. The timing is actually super lenient.

It's all about buffering the dash correctly. We may have been buffering a walk by accident.

A huge factor with me messing up was because I didn't input dash fast enough. In other words, I held the control stick in 1 direction too long. You're supposed to flick and return to the neutral position as soon as possible. I thought I needed frame perfect timing, but it's really because I just wasn't inputting the dash properly in general.

You can even buffer dash attack out of bthrow before the kick even hits the opponent, lol.

tl;dr flick the control stick to buffer dashes out of stuff. Hold 1 direction too long and it won't be a dash anymore.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Yeah, I got Dtilt a lot when I tried to buffer DA :/ Knew something was up. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but what can we do with Fthrow/Bthrow on SV's moving platform? Do we have CG? Ftilt? Jab? Sorry if this seems stupid, but just theorycrafting.

:phone:

It's all about buffering the dash correctly. We may have been buffering a walk by accident.

A huge factor with me messing up was because I didn't input dash fast enough. In other words, I held the control stick in 1 direction too long. You're supposed to flick and return to the neutral position as soon as possible. I thought I needed frame perfect timing, but it's really because I just wasn't inputting the dash properly in general.

You can even buffer dash attack out of bthrow before the kick even hits the opponent, lol.

tl;dr flick the control stick to buffer dashes out of stuff. Hold 1 direction too long and it won't be a dash anymore.
Are you sure that the stick needs to be returned to a neutral position? When I do it I don't think I put it back to neutral. If you just buffer the run and hit down on the c stick you buffer the dash attack. If you mess up you wind up downing a down smash.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm fairly sure. It cancels out buffering a walk by mistake. Doing a dsmash/dtilt shouldn't really be happening due to the large buffering window, like at all.

Helix King

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3909-7925-3850

You literally made 6 days of practice pointless. Strangely I couldn't be happier. Thanks :D

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
*yawn* @jam 21st was my bday, pika boards remembered xD

@buffering

Ya get 10 frames to input a direction then return to neutral position for a buffered dash.

Still though, what about the attack input? Wouldn't that require a frame perfect timing or you can buffer an attack input with the dash without it resulting in a smash attack?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I got Dtilt a lot when I tried to buffer DA
If you mess up you wind up downing a down smash.
Wouldn't that require a frame perfect timing or you can buffer an attack input with the dash without it resulting in a smash attack?
Jeez guys, catch up on old news. Set C-stick to Attack and flick it in a diagonal direction instead of down to input the DA. If you mess up all you get is a Jab, but like San said it's pretty easy to get consistent at it so you don't mess up at all.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@SatoshiMinamo We have some fancy grab releases, but I've never gotten anything with throws. Never tried very hard though.

Bthrow>DA helped me get the Bthrow CG. I litteraly just do it (buffered i guess)+press R.

Top Bottom