• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

-RedX-

Smash Lord
So today, I've gotten 2 kills in tournament due to my opponent tripping.
1st was a jab kill near the edge, tripped into jab2 then jab3 sent him horizontally while I was facing the opposite direction. olol
2nd was him tripping into Fair. Cool stuff.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm guessing he held a direction after tripping so he can roll, causing him to DI that way.
I got 5th out 17, not too bad I guess. Could have gotten 4th pretty easily but nope.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Was it against John Numbers? Already said grats on the results topic.

Once MK gets past 110, I'm just going to spam jab->utilt when I get the chance. It's too hard to escape if you jab them up close. Jab->utilt works on far more characters than I thought.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, it was against John numbers. lol
And I think Bored is saying that MK's shuttle loop (aerial or not), should still be fast enough to hit Ike after being hit by jab1 to stop Utilt follow-up. But I believe the MK would have to be "mashing" the upB, which isn't the wisest thing to do.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Ello Ike mains, I plan on using Ike as a secondary and would like some insite on this character.

what are some key things i should know how to do with Ike to succeed?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it's kinda like Marth's Dolphin Slash. Both relatively come out quick. If anything, Shuttle Loop at least gives MK some control afterwards where as Marth just flutters down.

@Robin...

Watch videos of some of the better Ike mains to get a grasp of move selection, and how to fight opponents. People I recommend are San, Mr. Doom, Ryo, and myself.

Your top three moves will probably be N-air, jab, and F-air. N-air is used due to it's minimal lag upon landing, the ability for you to string to follow up with more moves, and it's long duration to punish spot and air dodges. Jab can be used in variation by cancelling or inputting another move in. Overall, it's Ike's quickest move to use. F-air is used primarily for spacing and knock back...so use it to keep opponents at bay.

Also, be sure to recognize how to recover properly with Ike, otherwise you will be gimped. That is all for now.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
IMO Top three are jab, nair, and bair

You gotta know how to space your recovery to not get gimped.

jab utilt is a true combo if they don't jump... they need to buffer jump to shuttle up out the fastest. easy to do with tap jump, but otherwise little harder.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What the heck happened?

In any case, as far as Jab to up-tilt goes...I think...since it's such a reliable follow up to jab, we should make sure what enemies it has a good enough chance to work on compared to those that it doesn't...

I know Yoshi alone can get out of a jab 1, 1, 1...because his N-air is just that fast. G&W has his up+b maneuver.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Nobody can get out of jab 1, 1, 1, because it's a true combo. Polt may be SDIing up and out and then interrupting with Nair from out of range.

Wow you never said Polt. Just Yoshi. But my post said Polt, not Yoshi. And I'm not going to change it.

Anyway. G&W will pretty much only get out of Jab-Utilt with his UpB because his character weight just makes it so easy for him to fall into it. He does have some fast aerials on him, but the hitboxes won't make it out to us before he lands. He can't jump away either.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah you're right. Yoshi would have to SDI. I remember talking about this earlier, and Nys said something about how Yoshi's N-air pretty much comes out a frame or two after our jab. So if we mess up on our canceling, we do get hit. With that being said, I don't think N-air can hit us from Jab to up-tilt unless the spacing is too close.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'd think it would be better to hold shield after jab1 against chars who can attack quickly in the air. If they jump out if it, you can most likely follow-up with something like Bair.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I'm inclined to say you're right, Mustafa.

Most of the time I hit with Jab-Utilt it's not really expected though. Because when I Jab-Utilt I only jab once and I do it as fast as possible. People are used to seeing Ikes jab so many times and then follow up. You know the jab2-jab1-uptilt business.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
yoshi's too floaty to even hope of hitting us out of our uptilt after jab. Yoshi is one of the much easier characters to pull it off.

I mostly just do 1 jab to uptilt because it's much harder to SDI rather than multiple hits. And we shouldn't uptilt until around 110 on lightweights, and 135 or so on heavier characters.

If the jab hits up close it's guaranteed on most characters without an invincible upB or heavy/wacky physics if they don't do really good SDI. It's hard to SDI a single hit frame 3 move on reaction. MK's aerial shuttle loop isn't much of an issue if we're hitting him before it comes out anyways. I was taking note of when jab->utilt hits all throughout pound V and all of my matches from a tourney yesterday.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Did anything change with jab utilt that i don't know about in the past year? For some reason I never seemed to get it that often when I still played :(

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Happy belated b'day to Niddo

So in all, the guaranteed stuff for jab 1:

Jab 1 -> Jab 2 -> Jab 3
Jab 1 -> Jab 2 -> [Jab 1] {SDI dependent}
Jab 1 -> Jab 1 -> [Jab 1] {SDI dependent}
Jab 1 -> Grab
Jab 1 -> Combat walk {Ganon dependent}

and, moves with high hit potential after jab 1:

Jab 1 -> Utilt
Jab 1 -> Dsmash ? (I've done it before to be honest)
Jab 1 -> Dtilt (Near the edge)
Jab 1 -> RAR Bair (DI dependent)

obviously utilt overlaps the need for dsmash, but I'm just pointing out all the moves for keepsake.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
um... >_> my bad

jab > utilt just has to be done perfectly for it to work.

dsmash can be charged though, only niche it has..

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
hey, is the bthrow <> bthrow chaingrab also possible on DDD? If it is, I could get really close to pay DDD back for the dthrow chaingrab he's been doing on me.

EDIT: The only thing that keeps jab 1 -> Utilt from being a combo is double jump right? So does that means its guaranteed on opponents who lost their double jump?

Top Bottom