• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Again, the spiritual part of Halloween has nothing to do with you. The people who celebrate it that way can do what they want. It's their religion, and it's as important to them as Christmas is to Christians.

No one outside of certain few cults encourages you to communicate with demons. To most people it's a fun tradition. People like it and it's not gonna go away.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not saying it's going to go away: I'm saying it should. It's not something that should be encouraged, and I'm fairly sure being the second biggest retail holiday falls under "encouragement".

And I'm afraid as a Christian, which in turn means I believe in demons, that I do have to worry about the spiritual part of Halloween. >_>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Halloween does have a historical meaning. That doesn't mean that Halloween right now has the same meaning as it did in the past. People stopped believing in the evil spirits but the holiday continues as a tradition, except now it's more joyful.

And at your 3rd point, that bit of Halloween is completely unrelated to what you experience.
This is stupid. In my opinion, these days were meant to celebrate "X" occasion. You argue that the meaning has changed overtime, but I call that ignorance. Ignorance is bliss right? Not knowing the full extent of something is better to one then finding out the truth right? This is applicable in anything regarding real life. We mold, change, and alter what we find uncomfortable, and try to make the best of it. Holidays aren't an exception. It's understandable if a little kid is celebrating Easter for the Easter Bunny, candy, and egg hunting, that's fine. However, if they never are informed about the true meaning of the holiday (Jesus being raised from the dead), then by your logic, in the future, one day everyone is gonna be celebrating Easter for the bunny and scavenger hunting.

The "true" meaning of Halloween is what Niddo said, hence why I kicked that Holiday off my calendar a long time ago. People who claim they are celebrating it for the candy and lolz, well that's just being ignorant. If you believe any of the major religions, well then I'm sure Satan is laughing at those people for doing his work.

Eh, i like New Year's. Sure its nothing special, but people put meaning to it so why not take advantage of the whole concept of "New Year;s resolutions"
You mean the ones that people quit after a week? *****, please LOL.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
This is stupid. In my opinion, these days were meant to celebrate "X" occasion. You argue that the meaning has changed overtime, but I call that ignorance. Ignorance is bliss right? Not knowing the full extent of something is better to one then finding out the truth right? This is applicable in anything regarding real life. We mold, change, and alter what we find uncomfortable, and try to make the best of it. Holidays aren't an exception. It's understandable if a little kid is celebrating Easter for the Easter Bunny, candy, and egg hunting, that's fine. However, if they never are informed about the true meaning of the holiday (Jesus being raised from the dead), then by your logic, in the future, one day everyone is gonna be celebrating Easter for the bunny and scavenger hunting.

The "true" meaning of Halloween is what Niddo said, hence why I kicked that Holiday off my calendar a long time ago. People who claim they are celebrating it for the candy and lolz, well that's just being ignorant. If you believe any of the major religions, well then I'm sure Satan is laughing at those people for doing his work.
*cosigns*

I need to learn how to say what I mean better. People keep doing it better than me. ;_;

global-wolf

Smash Champion
The true meaning of Halloween is whatever you make it to be. There is no absolute truth in Halloween. There's only what it originally was and what it is now. People do change what they don't like, because it's stupid not to change it. Something becoming happy and lighthearted does not make it "untrue."

Where is my logic that one day people will be celebrating Easter for the bunnies? I said what happened to Halloween in the past, not what will happen to every holiday.

I am nonreligious.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
before this turns into a rage-debate worthy of melee players in 2008, what is everyone new years resolution this year?
mine is to quit 4chan, or chans in general

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The true meaning of Halloween is whatever you make it to be. There is no absolute truth in Halloween. There's only what it originally was and what it is now. People do change what they don't like, because it's stupid not to change it. Something becoming happy and lighthearted does not make it "untrue."

Where is my logic that one day people will be celebrating Easter for the bunnies? I said what happened to Halloween in the past, not what will happen to every holiday.

I am nonreligious.
If the true meaning of Halloween is whatever we make it to be, then it's not a Holiday.

Webster defines Holiday as...."A holiday is a day designated as having special significance for which individuals, a government, or a religious group have deemed that observation is warranted"

So now, we're warranting the observation for different reasons? Then it loses all special significance and meaning. It's not a holiday then.

And this is how I take your logic into Easter. People become uninformed about the reasons to celebrate Easter (ala why people shouldn't celebrate Halloween in the first place, and those who were persuaded into doing it, were probably told they get free candy and get to scare kids), then those people tell their future generations the same story, and next thing you know, 500 years from now, people are celebrating Easter for the bunny, not Jesus.

And why should people change what they don't like? Man up and take the bad with the good. In fact, you can argue that knowing the bad is more progressive then knowing the good. We all have the right to practice sex, because it's so good right? At the same time, if we ignored what could happen (STDs), and take the bliss (orgasm lawlz) then this world wouldn't be all that great now would it? But let's look at another example. The BP oil spill was a huge disaster, because the technicians assumed their land machines could take the underwater pressure, without testing it or taking any precautions. Their obsession with money, and production resulted in businesses being damaged, sea life being killed among various other things.

The moment we stop fueling ourselves with knowledge, and decide to make out things for our own ambition, then we're only harming the world. Can you picture a future where the whole world is celebrating Easter for bunnies? LOL.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
If the true meaning of Halloween is whatever we make it to be, then it's not a Holiday.

Webster defines Holiday as...."A holiday is a day designated as having special significance for which individuals, a government, or a religious group have deemed that observation is warranted"

So now, we're warranting the observation for different reasons? Then it loses all special significance and meaning. It's not a holiday then.

And this is how I take your logic into Easter. People become uninformed about the reasons to celebrate Easter (ala why people shouldn't celebrate Halloween in the first place, and those who were persuaded into doing it, were probably told they get free candy and get to scare kids), then those people tell their future generations the same story, and next thing you know, 500 years from now, people are celebrating Easter for the bunny, not Jesus.

And why should people change what they don't like? Man up and take the bad with the good. In fact, you can argue that knowing the bad is more progressive then knowing the good. We all have the right to practice sex, because it's so good right? At the same time, if we ignored what could happen (STDs), and take the bliss (orgasm lawlz) then this world wouldn't be all that great now would it? But let's look at another example. The BP oil spill was a huge disaster, because the technicians assumed their land machines could take the underwater pressure, without testing it or taking any precautions. Their obsession with money, and production resulted in businesses being damaged, sea life being killed among various other things.

The moment we stop fueling ourselves with knowledge, and decide to make out things for our own ambition, then we're only harming the world. Can you picture a future where the whole world is celebrating Easter for bunnies? LOL.
No, Halloween is a holiday because people deem it as the day to pass out candy and dress up in costume. That's its meaning. A meaning does not have to be serious and dark.

Your examples involving sex and BP have nothing to do with what I said about changing Halloween. A more relevant example would be if I didn't like the temperature of the room. If it's too hot, I make it cooler because I can. It's stupid to say I'm gonna man up to the temperature if it's just making me suffer. Same thing with Halloween; don't like it, change it, because the original meaning doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Easter has no religious meaning for me. If I celebrate Easter it's for the bunnies and eggs.

@Jam: I'm gonna steal your resolution :D

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
Anybody read that article on the 3DS? Apparently it may be able to cause damage to our eyes

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's the same with every 3D technology. It doesn't really affect people unless they're under 1 year old (eye development). Nintendo has similar warnings on the DS too.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
Oh, but they also said it might hurt older people or they shouldnt play the game for more than 30 minutes, I just pointed this out because I think this can hurt nintendo

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Did you not read my post? It's the same thing with any 3D-like technology. This shouldn't hurt Nintendo in the slightest.

With the whole breaks thing, Nintendo says that about every system yet no one listens to that anyways.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, Halloween is a holiday because people deem it as the day to pass out candy and dress up in costume. That's its meaning. A meaning does not have to be serious and dark.

Easter has no religious meaning for me. If I celebrate Easter it's for the bunnies and eggs.

@Jam: I'm gonna steal your resolution :D
Well, I understand, because you're not of any given religion, then you supposedly are "excused" from my reasons. But nevertheless, censoring definitions and meanings to your own liking is just being stupid and ignorant. I assure you that by simply celebrating a holiday for your "own reason" does not grant you escape from the devil's work. Satan wants you to be blind to the truth, all the while you have your fun and celebrate the occasion for your "own reason".

If the majority of this world believes in one of the big 3 religions, and they are celebrating Halloween, well then, you can argue that Satan has won this battle right? If people were informed of the truth, then they would know not too. If people start celebrating Easter for the bunnies and not Jesus, that's another victory chalked up to Satan.

Ignorance is bliss, but sometimes reasons do become valid. Like your example, and another being if a person who is in surgery...why would you NOT subject them to morphine? So they don't become ignorant? But then they feel the pain.

However, look at a classic example of someone being popular for all the wrong reasons. He has "many" friends, but when he loses his money, or whatever his use is (car for transportation, shoes, athlete, etc), then his "friends" are gone. His ignorance led to his downfall.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Today at 1:00 EST steam is having a finale on its most popular daily deals, so you have a last chance. Buying games on steam isn't worth it unless it's a sale. For a cheap but fun game, iron grip: warlord is a co-op FPS/RTS for $2.50 that's pretty fun in co-op. I had fun playing single player lol

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Meaning I should play with you, yes? *goes to download*

I'm really really bad at RTS and I don't know how it mixes with FPS, but since you said FPS, I may be interested, because I can do those.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's kind of like tower defense in a way (there are waves of enemies coming towards you trying to destroy your base)

It's RTS in a way where you gain points to either buff your own guy in FPS mode, or make structures that defend against infantry or tanks, or medic/supplies, but most of your actual play is FPS. I'm not very good at those types of games, but it was fun for me (I've only played a few hours last week)

It's not super deep but it's worth the price, especially if you have people to play with. I'm up to play later today after I get back from church. My steam id is *shock* san3711

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So i got a present for Sen, I am playing Eien no Aselia (a visual novel) and I did the lolicon route second, so the final picture is my avi :p, go crazy Sen

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I want to master the power shield canceling to jab and bair, but I'm not sure if I should learn how to use Y as shield or not. Y has no use for me currently.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
No, Ike can just bair tornado, or dair if lulzy. Useful if there isn't enough time to jump.

More along the lines of sonic's spindash (Felix was doing things like powershield to uptilt sonic's spindash, Ike can probably PSC jab as a mixup to pivot grab and jabbing spindash), maybe PSC MK's dair to bair? Just learning to buffer it fast enough if I shield, and it requires expecting the power shield, too

Ike would probably have the best PSC jab in the game though. I'm used to powershielding to jab but I didn't know it could be canceled to be made faster.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Isn't there something wrong with liking drawings of elementary school girls =/

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
San, you doing the Ike bi-weeklies this season? First one starts in about 45 mins. Also to anyone who may have wanted to sign up but didn't check the thread.

:248:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No, Ike can just bair tornado, or dair if lulzy. Useful if there isn't enough time to jump.

More along the lines of sonic's spindash (Felix was doing things like powershield to uptilt sonic's spindash, Ike can probably PSC jab as a mixup to pivot grab and jabbing spindash), maybe PSC MK's dair to bair? Just learning to buffer it fast enough if I shield, and it requires expecting the power shield, too

Ike would probably have the best PSC jab in the game though. I'm used to powershielding to jab but I didn't know it could be canceled to be made faster.
Well, I was thinking about using that against any multihitting move that you PS, as long as there is enough time to Jab in between (4 or 5 frames maybe, with the PS frame(s) and all of that). I would have to check somethings out after they finally tell us what kind of advantage we get, but I was thinking maybe something like MK's Fair.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, we'll have to wait for how much of an advantage we get compared to a regular powershield. MK's fair seems very fast. If we can punish out of 1 powershield, that'll be excellent, because I have a bad habit of shielding or powershielding the first hit of a multihit move, then letting go to attack.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205614

I think Fair might just slightly too fast. Biggest difference in between hits is 3 frames. :/ I'm looking at other moves we might be able to punish with this though. I'll edit this post shortly.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm terrible at understanding shield advantage stuff and how it alters time in between attacks, if it even does. >_>

EDIT2: Apparently, you get another 7 frames over normal PSing then attacking? I don't know what all of this means. Somebody who understands framedata beyond "frames before attacks come out" and "IASA frames" explain this stuff. ;_;

Heartstring

Smash Legend
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205614

I think Fair might just slightly too fast. Biggest difference in between hits is 3 frames. :/ I'm looking at other moves we might be able to punish with this though. I'll edit this post shortly.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm terrible at understanding shield advantage stuff and how it alters time in between attacks, if it even does. >_>

EDIT2: Apparently, you get another 7 frames over normal PSing then attacking? I don't know what all of this means. Somebody who understands framedata beyond "frames before attacks come out" and "IASA frames" explain this stuff. ;_;
if fair is 3 frames, we can probably beat out his b-air, but yknow, whenever is an mk gona use that over fair?
can probably beat drill rush too if we ever fight someone using it...its unlikely

Top Bottom