• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike : A Detailed Matchup Guide; #33 - Ness

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This thread is prone to massive sidetracking, but that's part of what makes it lively and fun.

More on Falco and whatnot later.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ike's recovery > falco's. I dtilt Falco's side B if he goes for the sweetspot ledge (sour spot will hit if close to the ledge) or shield punish

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I approve the two stars rating. Aether as a recovery is average in most matchups and a great burden against counterpicks. Don’t even get me started on his Side B.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
These images are getting progressively bigger, haha.

I'll try to get to work on the Ike match more later, but for now, just discuss Peach.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Peach prefers the air, has no 2nd jump, and is a girl. 80/20...

Joke..

expect lots of dairs ands fairs. She's heavier than Marth too. I really lack solid experience against Peach. But most Peaches believe Ike is an easy match up for them.

Avoid turnips, use your range to hit her. Your aerials are good and a full hop fair is useful (Which finishes before you hit the ground) don't charge you smashes too much, she will float cancel and wait then fair your face. dair will **** shields so don't defense with a shield, defend with utilt/fair. I'd say stay in the air for this match.

XACE-K

Smash Master
In before flood of Peach mains. I don't have much experience with this but my friend has been using her as a secondary lately.

- She has little lag on her n-air, u-air, b-air and d-air last time I checked when she's floating.

- Watch out for the turnip o' death, bomb-ombs and beam sword when she pulls them out.

- D-smash got nerfed. :D

- Your best chance to spike her is when she uses her Up-B. She'll use her aerials when she's floating.

What are some good CPs when facing her? I have absolutley no idea what stages to pick against anybody.

Edit: The Peach pic scares me somehow...

XACE-K

Smash Master

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Turnips aren't that big of a problem, as its not very spammable (unlike Falco's laser). Just powersheild them. >_> Or grab them and use them against Peach, which would be a good thing for Ike, and make the match-up easier for us. Peach has really good air mobility with the float cancel, but I believe SHNairs can beat out almost anything she does in the air, seeing that it has a lagless landing, and has more range then her aerials (off the top of my head at least, I don't believe the crown hit has more range then Nair. If it does, Fair would do the trick as it has IASA frames)

The toad can be a problem, but I don't know how often good Peach Mainers will use it......heck, I don't know much about Peach in general. I mean, who on earth uses her anywa-*shot* I *think* Fair can outrange the toad. Maybe Ftilt as well. Would need testing.

I know Dsmash got the nerf, and that her Fsmash varies in power, depending on what she pulls out. I *think* Usmash has a small hitbox.........gah, I forget Peach is even in Brawl half of the time. (Same thing with ICs)

XACE-K

Smash Master
The toad can be a problem, but I don't know how often good Peach Mainers will use it......heck, I don't know much about Peach in general. I mean, who on earth uses her anywa-*shot* I *think* Fair can outrange the toad. Maybe Ftilt as well. Would need testing.
Sometimes Peach uses Toad when Ike's recovering. If Ike gets hit by it when he doesn't have SA, he might die from being too far away from the ledge or simply recovery again. It all depends on how much damage Ike has taken.

I know Dsmash got the nerf, and that her Fsmash varies in power, depending on what she pulls out. I *think* Usmash has a small hitbox.........gah, I forget Peach is even in Brawl half of the time. (Same thing with ICs)[/quote]

I have the same problem but I forget Samus (not ZSS) instead of Ice Climbers.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
I'll try to say as much as I can.

:peach: Peach

-Has a counter
-Aerials have low priority, but nair comes out amazingly fast
-Can abuse platforms with Utilt
-Counterpick Corneria. No platforms. Slope restricts turnips, and Ike can Quick Draw on it as well. Ike can chaingrab in that corner too (Crimean Sonata by Kirk ftw)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
no platforms? Platforms are amazing for Ike. Corneria is great since its such a close blast zone meaning Ike will not get gimped.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If not Corneria usually tournaments will only allow one stage ban, so *I personally have no idea what good Ike can do on GGs on Peach here, but then somebody can enlighten me on that* Green Greens will bet he better option if Corneria can't be used.

Let's see, Peach has her own counter, which I don't know how long it sticks out there but if Toad triggers you will have to be on her other side to avoid it because I doubt Ike has anything to outrange the spores.

Turnips are so very annoying, Peach can play mindgames with you and just hold on to them and throw them at the appropriate time, she can toss up two in the air at once, making any direct upward approaches not a good idea. I think Turnips can eat shields but not enough of it to be of any true signifigance. As by a rare chance Peach can actually pull out Bob-Ombs, Beam Swords, and Mr. Saturns out of her "WHAT?!?"...no seriously, where does she get this freaking stuff anyway?

Taking care of the lesser dangers, Peach will murder you with her aerial game. Wather she decides to hang at the air or just float a centimeter off the ground, you better prepare yourself. Her Fair has amazing knockback, her Dair will eat your shield like no tomorrow, I hear Nair comes out extremely fast, and although Bair and Uair won't be used too often it's a possibilty to consider. (Lol with Bair she's actually pushing you away with her toosh.)

Oh speaking of Toosh, Peach's Side-B has like a second of start-up time but has decent knockback if it hits. The hitbox kind of confuses me though, it's like if I hold my shield up Peach will go right-through me? I'm kind of skeptikal Ike's Counter frames will even trigger from her Side-B move, somebody else has to confirm this for me.

Peach has an Umbrella she can use, but I don't think she will use this other than for getting back onto the stage, be it from a high altitude or in need of a boost to reach the ledge. I think if Peach puts her Umbrella back down she will go into the helplessness state, but I think she could use an aerial to try and push her away if you try to punish her in her Umbrella descend.

Although her ground game won't be used much, you should know that her Dsmash comes out about as fast as Nair should, will throw Ike on thw opposite side he got hit on assuming he was right on Peach when she activated her Smash. If you happen to get lucky enoguh where you aren't right on her when she does her Dsmash make the most of it, it has very little ending lag to boot. If you try to get within touching range during her Dsmash animation it has a sort of sex kick to it, although with pitiful damage and knockback will still throw you off.

I don't think Usmash is used too much by Peaches other than platform punishing as with her Utilt. Let's see I don't recall Peaches ever using their ftilt or I would know what it is, I think her 1-2 slaps is the neutral A jab. Fsmash isn't used too much either because to me (and maybe to them) the range isn't impressive, and for a smash atatck it really doesn't have too much power behind it. What do I know though, maybe the random items she pulls out with her Fsmash mean something, like a golf club. Let's see the only other thing I haven't covered I believe is her dash attack, but meh I am unsure of why Peaches do this or the purpose of it.

That's it for my 2 cents on the princess.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
...aerials have LOW priority? Say what now?

I play an excellent Ike fairly frequently...I wrote something about Peach on your other match up thread if you want to dig it out.
I'm still standing by my opinion of this match up which is 50/50.

Peach can Dair the **** out of you. Ike is heavy and gets eaten by them. Toad is excellent in this match and oneof the most incredible anti Aether moves I've seen. Ike's recovery is rather poor and Peach has excellent edgeguarding abilities. Add a good projectile in there that can give us a quick approach and everything seems ok.

Ike on the other hand, has HUGE range. Compared to Peach anyway. Spaced Fairs will completely crush a predictable floating Peach/a Peach that always Glide Tosses Turnips. If Peach spams Floating Dairs, it's an easy win because Fair will knock her out of the sky. Ike's F Tilt will outreach even her F Smash

I despise Ike's AAA/Jab to grab/Grab release to jab junk. Hate it with a deep passion.
Never ever try to grab release Peach and jab her away. Peach's jab is faster than yours. Peach can semi CG you at very very very low percents followed by an F Tilt/Dair

Get her when shes in the air! I curse myself so many times when I try to counter Ike's Uair with Peach's Dair thinking I might be lucky this time :laugh: And don't forget Eruption. Ruddy SA is an excellent method of surprise

As it stands, I think it's 50/50. Peach can combo the **** out of Ike, gimp his Aether and has a projectile. Ike on the other hand has huge range and can kill Peach at sometimes surprising percents due to her light weight

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
you mean SHORT range, try to work on your words Kinzer ^^

The match goes either way imo. I've played some peaches online... You'll live to a long time if you can manage to not get gimped. and Kinzer, Peach's usmash is a kill move by 100ish%, as well as utilt 50% later, so word of advice, don't try to attack from above her, it's risky.

Range vs floating I guess.

I still have to laugh at Peach being heavier than Marth.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
you mean SHORT range, try to work on your words Kinzer ^^

I still have to laugh at Peach being heavier than Marth.
SHORT range... I was 1/2 right I guess.

Frying Pan, Golf Club, Tennis Racket, Parasol... and a Toad under her dress.

Yeah, that'd weigh her down pretty well.
Nah Hero, she just sneaked in a helluva lot of bacon during the transition from Melee to Brawl. It has NOTHING to do with her equipment, especially being that a lot of the real-world physics don't apply. :laugh:

I mean really, can you honestly tell me how a 2-D man is still heavier than a pokemon with all three dimensions?

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
Makes no sense. Anyways, when you're playing her, Peach seems lighter than Marth, probably since she's really floaty.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
My best Brawl partner is an Ike main, so I know this match up quite well >_< I think it's a very odd fight, because both characters are capable of capitalizing on the other's weaknesses.

Peach is floaty, and landing without getting Usmashed may prove difficult for her. Fair has lots of range, so Peach can't really approach safely with her own Fair. Utilt, if timed correctly, can outpriorize a lot of Peach's moves, and even kill her. Neutral B is pretty good if Peach is grabbing the ledge and wants to get in the stage. Cancelling the AAA combo is great against Peach... and any other character, because you can punish with a Ftilt or a grab. Peach is not really great at edguarding Ike, she has to Fair him until he's not capable of getting back. Ike's AAA combo is his best friend against Peach >_<

On the other side, Peach can abuse Ike's (lack of) speed. If Peach gets campy, she can rack up damage very quickly. Shielding works awesome against Ike, and Peach can punish him with a grab, a sweetspotted Usmash (ouch), Fsmash, Dsmash, Ftilt (can KO is Ike survives at high percentages, and that happens a lot...), etc. Edgeguarding Ike is not that easy, but Peach can use her turnips to gimp him, and Toad is a-we-some against his UpB. In fact, Toad is extremely useful against Ike, as long as it's not predictable. Peach's Dair combos are not easy to connect against an aggressive Ike, but if they do, they can rack up damage nicely. A extremely defensive Peach will give Ike a lot of problems.

Ike is my favorite opponent ^^

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I approve Ike/Ike mains ^^

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ussi, they main Peach, I bet they are in the same place we are...but I don't mind, I love having smart people around.

They have their own moderator though...I'm jealous.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If Peach gets inside Ike's range, he will get owned. That is probably easier said than done though since she is slow, and Ike has a lot more range than she does.

Reason why he will get owned in given scenario? She has a 2 frame Jab and a rediculously fast F-tilt that has disjointed range.

XACE-K

Smash Master
wow o_o I'm surprised the Peach mains don't underestimate Ike. hurray! ^_^
That's because they know QD isn't for recovering.

Ussi, they main Peach, I bet they are in the same place we are...but I don't mind, I love having smart people around.

They have their own moderator though...I'm jealous.
Yeah, all we got is Umbreon. One purple namer and a bunch of yellow namers.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Alright so most of the time from now on I'm just going to argue with what I think is wrong in the OP and with the quick scim I gave the last 2 match ups I found that you have Pirate ship as a stage good for both Ike and G&W.

Let me tell you that if anyone took your advice you led them into a slaughter. This is the G&W stage he was actually a pretty big reason on why that stage was going to be banned at least in the stage legality sticky.

Once G&W gets you into the water nothing can save you. He has the most amazing trap that can rack up 100% easily and since he has you trapped near the border its a 0-death combo finishing off with an Fair. Just don't Bring G&W here as its a lot better for him than you.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Alright so most of the time from now on I'm just going to argue with what I think is wrong in the OP and with the quick scim I gave the last 2 match ups I found that you have Pirate ship as a stage good for both Ike and G&W.

Let me tell you that if anyone took your advice you led them into a slaughter. This is the G&W stage he was actually a pretty big reason on why that stage was going to be banned at least in the stage legality sticky.

Once G&W gets you into the water nothing can save you. He has the most amazing trap that can rack up 100% easily and since he has you trapped near the border its a 0-death combo finishing off with an Fair. Just don't Bring G&W here as its a lot better for him than you.
I must have been asleep when I wrote that! Thank you!

hush.

Smash Cadet
Ditto what rm88 said basically lol.

My friend secondaries Ike, and it usually seems like a 50/50 match up.

They are like polar opposites as characters [cept for both having dash speeds comparable to molasses -_-], but they can both very effectively abuse each other's weaknesses. Ike's jab game is essential to defeating Peach. I hate how his jab is so deceptively quick. :/ Also, using U-tilt and sometimes F-tilt to punish her aerial game is very useful. His U-tilt can kill her off at pretty low percents due to her light weight.

Beware of the Dair! As previously mentioned, our highness's stilletos are ****, but if the Peach player isn't that exceptionally good at timing and spacing, the lag between her aerials can be easily punished by U-tilt. Reading and countering her turnip game is also very important. The most blatantly obvious advantage Peach has on Ike is her ability to quickly conjure up one of the most annoying and effective projectiles in the game. You should try to look for turnip pulling/throwing habits, and begin to punish her accordingly. Also, try to keep her at a reasonable distance; once you let that pink wildebeest get up close and personal, it is safe to bet that you will probably gain a significant amount of damage.

Lastly, try your best to sweet spot the edge, since Toad completely decimates attempts to Up-B a competent Peach player from below the edge. For Peach players, taking advantage of the weaknesses of certain Up-B's is a high priority during the game because Peach luvs gimp kills, so when recovering, be prepared for a flurry of turnips, Floated Fair's, and Toad retaliation.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2ZOMG her jab is as fast as Ike's...
I read somewhere Ike's Jab comes out on frame 4.

Unless I'm mistaken, Peach's Jab does outspeed it slightly since it's a 2 frame attack. Meaning you can't get into Jab wars with her unless you are ZSS (1 frame Jab WTF).

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Are we allowed to go 51-49 in Peach's favor? heh

Ike can use his Jab to bait Peach for attacks.
Ike has power, and he is kinda versitile for a heavyweight.
Ike want tilt, Ike want win! FIRE!
Ike will be hard for Peach if the player isn't attentive.

Peach+Turnip+Luck=Win!
Peach can rack up damage easily, just landing a kill on Ike is hard.
Oh yeah, Peach can combo waayyy more than Ike (Duh)

Both players need to be able to predict some attacks, and both might need some luck.

50-50, to me at least.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Peach has a slight advantage against Ike. She has lots of fast attacks and superb combo ability and priority. My advice to you guys is to take this match slow and defensively. Against the turnips its best to just powershield them and approach slowly. Ike's utlit has enough priority to counter some of peaches attack (her dair for example) and is probably the best kill move against peach. I also suggest using properly spaced fairs to apply pressure.

Try to rely less on your jabs during this matchups. Peach's jabs comes out just as fast and has the same priority. (I also personally love to bait Ike's into instinctively using their jab so I can counter with toad. Heres an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6t3MGHK3E) Speaking of toad, the little fella is great at countering your aether recoveries (most of the time.) If you must recover with aether, make sure you're positioned as to grab the ledge at the very top of your aether to avoid getting sprayed..

One more thing. DI EVERYTHING. It can be an absolute pain for Peach trying to kill an Ike with proper DI.

I'd give this matchup a 45-55 (Peach's favor) specifically because of the toad edgeguard.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We don't have to rely just on the Apex of Aether, there's QD recovery (lol I know right?), and not only that but we can also reverse Aether just so the hitboxes don't hit your Toad. We get as much vertical distance with it anyway and we can DI Aether to still sweetspot the ledge.

By the way Draik, do you do Wifi or not? I would like to Brawl you for the experience assuming lag allows it.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
We don't have to rely just on the Apex of Aether, there's QD recovery (lol I know right?), and not only that but we can also reverse Aether just so the hitboxes don't hit your Toad. We get as much vertical distance with it anyway and we can DI Aether to still sweetspot the ledge.

By the way Draik, do you do Wifi or not? I would like to Brawl you for the experience assuming lag allows it.
I mostly just use Wifi for fun but w/e.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Okay, I'll go ahead and add you and I'll make the room, just join whenever after you read this message.

Top Bottom