• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Discussion REVAMPED - Week 1 Snaaaaaaaakeeeee

Prawn

Smash Master
marth it is!

I have some good experience in this matchup(Darc, a sick nasty melee player who doesnt play brawl much/anymore, has an AMAZING marth that i had the honor of mming. oh and hezz soopar cute. i hope he namesearches and sees my meatriding MEATRIDE MEATRIDE)

anyways.

...marth. I'll post later

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
well, from my megar experience in this matchup, i've learned to camp bairs/pivoted blizards (so you can always have your back to the opponent). don't use squall, it gets beaten by most of his attacks. his up b makes solo dthrow impossible if you aren't frame perfect (which isn't really that hard if you practice it). you can think of his counter as the same thing, but used to punish just about everything else (i think desync'd blizzard wall will counter this, though). you can try approaching with dash -> shield to get the grab, but my experience with this usually ended up with the marth doing his side b low, essentially rapping my shield.

i wish i could give some actual advice on what to do, but i only know that stuff that doesn't work (which is still pretty important).

r3d d09

Smash Master
remember to tilt your shield towards him every time. sounds silly, but marth is someone you need to learn to tilt shield on. once you see him start his combo side be and goes low. be quick enough to tilt it down so you don't get shield poked.

sauc3

Smash Lord
lol I used to play a marth like all the time at home, but I think raidos has more knowledge now as he plays him more,

All i know is don't roll, don't squall, don't dash grab, recovering is hard, even harder vs edge-aggressive marths, they're up-B kinda *****, but if you predict it then its lulz if they miss.

Also, to the marths that do that stupid thing on the ledge where they fall back and fair, then up-B to sweet spot, you can powershield the fair -> grab the ledge -> ??? -> Profit! works as any character, not enough people know this.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Space well so that you are close enough to get the grab but not far from him so when you get to him he does some Up-B and Side-B shenanigans.

Generally I play my friend's Marth and though he's not the same as every Marth, it seems to me that most Marths and my friend's Marth use Up-B whenever they feel they're going to get grabbed. So if you predict that you don't have enough time to grab them and/or they're going to do an Up-B, just shield the it and punish him as he comes down.

Also if I were to strike stages against a Marth, BF would be my top pick... Whenever a Marth Up-B onto the upper platform, you'll only have time to punish with Uair since you'll be on the ground when Marths does their Up-B.

Prawn

Smash Master
ok so im going to post this link in the marth boards, give it a day or two, then release my GaW summary and move onto another character.

was everyone satisfied with the DK summary? Please give me criticism I'm very new to this

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I said this last time we were discussing Marth, and all my experiences since then reinforce it - this matchup is a spacing war and is extremely momentum-based, and the first character to falter gets punished severely. Once Marth gets a hit in he goes off, Nana's dead, then you're dead. Once ICs get a grab in, well, that's stock. I'd say this matchup lies somewhere between 50:50 and 60:40 Marth, purely because Marth has more spacing tools than we do.

Also, recently I played the best Marth/player in Aus in tournament. 2-1 to him, first game was fairly even (smashville), second game I 2-stocked him (battlefield), third game he 2-stocked me (delfino). Momentum.

- Up B out of solo cg actually doesn't make a difference, he can get out just as early jumping away. If the Marth thinks the answer is Up B then it puts him in a really bad position, you can predict and punish.

- As mentioned, his sword trades with Blizz, and you generally come off worse in the trade, just don't do it unless you really need to. Although, keep in mind that it's difficult for Marth to hit through it, you can still use Blizz as a surprise attack (or as normal if the Marth is ****).

- Squall's even ****ter.

- You can shieldgrab his Side B 3, no need to worry about Side B 4.

- Be wary of his DTilt, although I think our DTilt has its uses. Not sure if we outrange it, but I doubt it.

- Pivot grab everything.

- Blizzard the FAir-happy Marth. Normally Blizzard's bad, but if they're spamming FAir then you can time the Blizz so they fall into it, rather than hit you out of it.

- BAir/NAir oos depending on what side the Marth is on. In most cases shieldgrabbing is a bad idea.

- Marth's great walking speed gives him more options on the ground than you. Most of his moves clank with ours but they all come out faster.

- If you need to recover, it's hard, so be tricky about it. Personally I like Side B'ing AWAY with massive lift and holding toward the stage after the initial away-momentum, keeps you safe from most options but if he predicts it you can be in a bad spot. Otherwise Up B and hope for a tether.

As for stages, FD is your best bet. If FD is banned, try Battlefield or Smashville, in that order. Generally stay as neutral as possible, with static plats if you can.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i wish i could give some actual advice on what to do, but i only know that stuff that doesn't work.
pretty sure i even stated i was bad at the matchup and didn't know what to do.

go back to getting 3 stocked by ganons and leave the thinking to people who've made it out of kindergarden.

Teh Future

Smash Master
ok ill leave and you can tell all the ics to space bairs against marth. good plan.

at least when i loose to ganon i dont go in machup threads and tell people to not desyn because that would be gay. u on the other hand just make dum **** up even though you have no idea wha ur talkin about. go play wit hax cus your terrible at the game moar mirite

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
is reading not in your list of things you can do? have 2 lines in the post above yours saying that i don't know what to do in the matchup. just to clarify, that means i don't know what to do. that means i'm only posting what i do in the matchup while clarifying that i don't know what to do.

now, if that wasn't clear enough you can always read my post again to discover that i don't know what to do, and have said so repeatedly.

but if you persist in reading my posts as saying "this is the law", then i will say it one more time, just to be clear:

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Just grab marth. It's funny to see marth trying to so hard with perfect spacing and juggling and then he just gets grabbed and dies.

Prawn

Smash Master
Just grab marth. It's funny to see marth trying to so hard with perfect spacing and juggling and then he just gets grabbed and dies.
this lol

I kept trying to think of interesting **** to say for this matchup, but for noob marths or for great marths(like Darc no homo he ***** me tho) i pretty much just let them swing their sword alot, grab and kill them LOL.

they can do w/e the **** and we can just do one dash grab PS and take the lead.

so yeah do that

Teh Future

Smash Master
its funny how everyone calling me out is actually terrible at this game. where as im just not good...For real, why are you cats here you dont do anything lol. knowing matchups doesnt matter if you play lvl 9 cpus and wifi all day.

Prawn

Smash Master
its funny how everyone calling me out is actually terrible at this game. where as im just not good...For real, why are you cats here you dont do anything lol. knowing matchups doesnt matter if you play lvl 9 cpus and wifi all day.
idk i get ninth place pretty consistently around here whilst constantly being high and sandbagging, I also play incredibly small volumes of time compared to most people, but I started playing a little more and going to NY for a tourny tomorrow to hopefully prove i'm not awful

but idk. i don't lose to ganondorfs like a sc00b LOL

ch33s3

Smash Lord
How to beat marth: Hit him with your hammer if he's above you. If he's not, powershield his fair, because that's the only aerial he has that does anything to you and doesn't him punished incredibly easily. If he's on the ground, you should be desynching blizzards in his face (which also pretty much deals with his fair). When he slips his spacing, grab him.

ROB next, kthx.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
A good Marth won't be above you, ever. He'll be spacan dem FAirs all day, trying to pokity poke poke. If he's jumping over you then you successfully Blizz'd him enough to pressure him into doing somethign dumb, just shield if he does anything and grab him when he lands next to you. :)

We really need to do Zero Suit next, she's definitely the rising star of matchups that are terribly bad for us.

r3d d09

Smash Master
I think all of us know how to play against each char in theory, but we should post a video on the matchup that shows how to play against them perfectly.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
isnt ZSS pretty easy? I mean, i just started playing IC, but i have had no issues with ZSS, because she can never stun both with her ******** lasers so i mean, if she tries any of that she just gets punished by the other IC right?

im definitely missing something haha

Snipa4800

Smash Lord
isnt ZSS pretty easy? I mean, i just started playing IC, but i have had no issues with ZSS, because she can never stun both with her ******** lasers so i mean, if she tries any of that she just gets punished by the other IC right?

im definitely missing something haha
Her Dsmash stuns both. If you sheild it she can dsmash again before you punish. If you P.Sheild it Nana will end up stunned.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Zero Suit has the tools to keep you far away at all times. DSmash on powershield is perfectly safe thanks to her 1-frame jab and other options. Side B is slow but has a good amount of knockback, in combination with DSmash/Jab she can get you away fast if you even think about getting anywhere near her. And then there are her great aerial options, be we're already terrible in the air as it is.

I don't really know what I'm doing in this matchup. Every time I play Zero_, 99% of the normal stuff doesn't work, so if anything I can say what doesn't help in this matchup haha. I really need to start saving replays vs him so I can examine my play, but w/e.

It's a tough, iffy matchup we really need to figure out, and I don't think the ICs board has ever discussed it. ZSS boards say it's 70:30 btw. (or at least the ZSS BR does, my main source of ZSS knowledge is Zero_)

Anyway, are we done with Marth or what?

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Zero Suit has the tools to keep you far away at all times. DSmash on powershield is perfectly safe thanks to her 1-frame jab and other options. Side B is slow but has a good amount of knockback, in combination with DSmash/Jab she can get you away fast if you even think about getting anywhere near her. And then there are her great aerial options, be we're already terrible in the air as it is.

I don't really know what I'm doing in this matchup. Every time I play Zero_, 99% of the normal stuff doesn't work, so if anything I can say what doesn't help in this matchup haha. I really need to start saving replays vs him so I can examine my play, but w/e.

It's a tough, iffy matchup we really need to figure out, and I don't think the ICs board has ever discussed it. ZSS boards say it's 70:30 btw. (or at least the ZSS BR does, my main source of ZSS knowledge is Zero_)

Anyway, are we done with Marth or what?
So, you do know that zss's frame 1 jab is amongst the worst moves in the game because everything it links into can be powershielded...right? If she sidebs, dash up, power shield, grab, gg. It's a bad matchup for zss. Her jab is useless, side b is predictable and if you do it right, both nana and popo will powershield it (easy). Uair destroys her in the air, ice blocks can gimp her off stage, and beat paralyzer, and nair and bair both either out speed or outspace anything she has but uair, so as long as you're not above her, you're good. She is completely incapable of approaching you, since you can dash powershield her sideb on reaction, and nothing else she has (except paralyzer, which is useless) beats blizzard. Let her jab you, powershield the followup (one climber powershields, the other REGULAR shields, it's THAT slow), and grab. She can really mess you up offstage, but you shouldn't really be offstage very often anyway. I think ICs REALLY **** ZSS.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
1-frame jab is good because it interrupts our responses, not because it leads into anything. And if you just sit in your shield there are plenty of other (safer) things she can do. Like another DSmash.

Side B has stupidly long range, literally 1/4 of FD's length. The only grabs I've got off shielding it is when the ZSS badly misspaces it. Oh yeah, and spaced BAirs n ****.

And uh, no, she beats us quite solidly in the air. Except DAir, ALL her aerials outrange our BAir, our longest-range aerial BY FAR. In speed, her BAir and NAir mirror ours, but her UAir and FAir come out significantly faster. Note that her 4-frame UAir beats our farthest-reaching aerial from the side. Oh yeah, and she can Down B away if she's above us, invincibility n stuff.

Ice Block won't gimp unless she's dumb, or I'm doing it stupidly wrong. Explain?

I was only gonna comment on the jab, but I had a good idea of the aerial stuff so I just quickly tested it then to double check. There is no way she beats us in the air, esp with her far superior aerial mobility. Can't really comment on anything else, like I said I don't know the matchup that well. But it's definitely far from **** in our favour.

I'm gonna look into it moar.

Top Bottom