• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Discussion REVAMPED - Week 1 Snaaaaaaaakeeeee

Prawn

Smash Master
I like to think that ICs are disadvantedged against:

Snake, ROB, Toon Link, and ZSS

but thats just IMO

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, I think ZSS is a pretty bad matchup for us as well. Her Side B spacing is sooooooooo stupid.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
eh, i think peach has a SLIGHT upper hand

but not really

zss lol

i used to get off on her with ic's but

then it got hard

i use sheik vs zss haha, still hard

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
Marth I think would be 50-50.... most of his attacks out prioritize ours and he's got the Fair.... but he's pretty easy to chain grab and we have projectiles. sooo it's about even.... (I missed ALLOT of things...)

Teh Future

Smash Master
Peach vs ICs is even. Its just a really long and lame match :/

I want to play moar robs, I dont really know what the think about the matchup now though.

Snake and Wario have a 60-40 matchup against us in my book, and are the only characters that have a significant advantage.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i can agree with that

though i just think a lot of matchups arent fully evolved yet, cuz im pretty sure diddy and peach can deal some major crap to ic's if there is a strategy to avoid grabs that is expanded upon

watching mach dash vs michael hey was already surprising to me. diddy is great

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
snake, wario, marth, mk and diddy (not as bad as the others) are ics bad matchups imo, either too hard to space, too hard to grab, or just ****.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yeah, after thinking about it, my opinion on marth changed.

60:40 ice climbers.

I dont know why i consider matchups 60:40 hard, but then i think about it and decided to set a reference point to myself. Im positive MK is 50:50, so i judged based on this as a reference point. Marth is definitly easier, and the more i think about it, the more i realize his options are too limited and make him predictable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And the world needs to play more like you do.
Duly noted sir. lol :)

Dang IC's vs Marth... I remember back in the day when I occasionally would whip them out in tournament, sometimes vs Marth players. The matchup always felt like Marth would win if you didn't condition him into bad responses. If Marth played EXTREMELY boring/spacey, then you had to fall back on your desynch game to put any kind of pressure on him.

r3d d09

Smash Master
why do you laugh so much for no reason? :ohwell:
this makes bunny mad.

Peach vs ICs is even. Its just a really long and lame match :/

I want to play moar robs, I dont really know what the think about the matchup now though.

Snake and Wario have a 60-40 matchup against us in my book, and are the only characters that have a significant advantage.
Peach is just awesome, and one of the top 10 players in my state is a ROB, and i hate friendlies let alone legit matches against him.
snake, wario, marth, mk and diddy (not as bad as the others) are ics bad matchups imo, either too hard to space, too hard to grab, or just ****.
you forgot rob, i think rob is one of the hardest matches. but once you get the grab, you're set.

i think IC does well on marth

you guys just aren't doing it right

except meep
*says this while screaming* No one plays against IC's right except for you *ends screaming* haha.

meepxzero

Smash Master
See, Meep needs to be more like this guy. Confident, informed, persuasive.
i hate theory crafting which a lot of mu threads do because al respond to everything differently when i actually play. I learn to counter certain styles than the actual match up. For example if ur repetitively doing one thing al always find a way around it. Even if its camping.... Swordgard has a lot more logic than me, but he agrees with a lot of stuff i say.

swordgard

Smash Hero
i hate theory crafting which a lot of mu threads do because al respond to everything differently when i actually play. I learn to counter certain styles than the actual match up. For example if ur repetitively doing one thing al always find a way around it. Even if its camping.... Swordgard has a lot more logic than me, but he agrees with a lot of stuff i say.
Its funny cause we often arrive to similar conclusions.

But you do through MU experience. I dont have that that much, i just theorize my way to it.

The only thing is you wont have the words to describe the reasonning behind it, you experienced it, but cant necessarly show it to others. You will on the other hand be able to show it in game vs people in an easier way.

EDIT: Even when i said something without saying it wasnt from me and that i disagreed with it like an hour ago and you disagreed with it too. It was a test to see if you were only agreeing for agreeing or really giving out your experience, and we really do come to same conclusions lmao.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Uh, how else do you discuss a match up?

No matter how smart of a player YOU are, IC's tools don't change. Whether YOU can bait or mindgame Marth into making mistakes is completely irrelevant because it's not a solid or reliable strat in any way. Those two things are intangibles and can't be discussed. Just because YOU beat every Marth you play, doesn't mean IC's win the match.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Uh, how else do you discuss a match up?

No matter how smart of a player YOU are, IC's tools don't change. Whether YOU can bait or mindgame Marth into making mistakes is completely irrelevant because it's not a solid or reliable strat in any way. Those two things are intangibles and can't be discussed. Just because YOU beat every Marth you play, doesn't mean IC's win the match.
Nope, but it does bring out some evidence towards it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dude Meep calm down no need to explain yourself I was trolling lmao.

*takes off Troll Mask*

meepxzero

Smash Master
XD my bad. im bored too. no hard feelings. Wow i really do needa explain stuff better im going to be an art teacher LOL.

I could create lengthy walls of text to do in every marth situation, but im really too lazy to do that. All i ahve to say in marth vs ic if you desynch right all marth can do is plank against you. It hurts him a lot just like other chars to have only 2 jumps. Spacing doesnt help against ic if you desynch ice block chase them and force jumps or make him shield. Ic are an mvc2 char where you can use nana as an assist and make ur opponent move the way you want if they dont have a projectile to camp against you.

Theres so little vids of my ic, but i literally make my ic look like its 2v1 characters because i utilize desynching real well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i am gonna agree with meep until i play a good marth lol

i wanna play zex

or go to socal

cuz honestly i havent had any trouble yet >_>

knowing how to beat melee marth have made all marth players easy in brawl for some reason
Sif you didn't bring out your ICs against me at Genesis.

Even though can't complain much, I adored playing your sheik. I just couldn't help but smile as I took sheik pointers by running down the list of tools I use as Marth and noted how you got around them.

THEN YOU RAN AWAY.

RAGE.

Oh but IC's match up wise...

Everything IC's do (other than what I'm about to mention) seems to be easy game for Marth to out do, avoid, and punish.

It's the desynchs that -really- give Marth issue. And I'm talking the alternating wall of terror that is desynch variable jumping blizzards/uairs/nairs. Without appropriate platforms, or a LOT OF skill LUCK; once that's set up, he's going to have a ****ter of a time hitting them or getting past it.

Ease of CG is a mute point. I honestly don't think ICs can consider grabs at all in the match up as viable. People arguing that Marth is easier than MK ignore the differentation between how ICs handle each match up. ICs force MK with crappy aerial mobility with desyncs into a grab; Marth tends to not get grabbed as easily, but can't get past desyncs (easily). Hylians got the right idea ;.;

When I play against IC mains, the ones that go for the grab as their main point I can beat with ease with Marth, and often dair camping is all you need with MK.

Metagame will start to focus more on countering Ice Climbers; atm I think it's still slight Marth advantage. But this could easily change through various developments.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Everyone knows marth can hit IC's out of blizzard with fair right?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, even at the best spacing with Blizzard you'll both get hit. Difference is, you'll take like 13% damage while he takes about ~4%.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's not the easiest thing in the world to do though, especially as you are required to be 'above' and at the right distance, where as I said, the nair/uair etc become troublesome.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Theory Bros is always completely different to less experienced players

i always take what meep says to heart cuz he's played ic's a lot more than me and won in tournys and stuff

even if what he says is wrong to some ppl i usually get what he means

so if im gonna pivot grab wario i'll do it :D even if on paper it sounds like wario can camp the whole time

there is always a way to fight

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And there is always a way to run. Which is funner.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha dmg you're so passionate about that

i'd like to play u someday

we'll see whose determination is greater

meepxzero

Smash Master
i wanna play dmg too!! I wanna see what crazy stuff hes gonna pull if i grab him the last 30 secs when we both have 3 stocks

Im happy you believe me choknater. I feel like im albert einstein telling people i invented to light bulb or something.

If you really want insight on how badly ic beat marth ask neo himself. He told me himself that if i ever lost to a marth he would kill me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dude Meep I would turn into Mike Haze 3.0 : Ultimate Screamer. That and if you killed me I would come Fart on you and Nana once I died and then GAME! SD time.

Top Bottom