• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am the most brilliant Zelda player you will ever meet

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
To risk being overly philosophical... life is a game. There are rules, and you can win and lose. That being said, since we spend our lives mastering the game of life, it's not too much of stretch to think that we sometimes want to detach ourselves by playing a less complicated game.
You know, one of my friends actually uses that as a slogan :).

But seriously, am I the only one that thinks that this Q&A threat is too full of comments not conserning Zelda? It seems that evebody just writes here something irrelevant thinking that they are sooo good/funny/clever. Well, neverthless, I´ve got a question: are Zelda´s multihits (up and forward smash, Naury´s love) easier or harder to escape in Brawl than in Melee?

TheLake

Smash Master
Is it true zeldas Uair *****? What are the kill %'s?

For me im gonna combo with zelda then switch to sheik for the KO...HAH take that conformity!

by the way, its just a game people, there is more in life.
LOl no there isnt

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Is it true zeldas Uair *****? What are the kill %'s?

For me im gonna combo with zelda then switch to sheik for the KO...HAH take that conformity!

LOl no there isnt
Yeah, upair rocks now, it comes out faster and kills around 85%.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
You know, one of my friends actually uses that as a slogan :).

But seriously, am I the only one that thinks that this Q&A threat is too full of comments not conserning Zelda? It seems that evebody just writes here something irrelevant thinking that they are sooo good/funny/clever. Well, neverthless, I´ve got a question: are Zelda´s multihits (up and forward smash, Naury´s love) easier or harder to escape in Brawl than in Melee?
There's like, an entire other compendium of Zelda information thread that answers most of these people's questions. And I'm almost sure its stickied. That's probably the main reason why there's not that many questions.

Yours has been answered both in separate threads and in the Zelda information thread, too. The answer is yes, with proper DI, both her Fsmash and Usmash are consistently escapable, and punishable. Since it's consistent, I'm assuming that means that its easier.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Topcat:
Stop being egotistical

Slikvik is a very good peach player that can take on Vanz, who is one of the top players in NJ I believe.

Ryoko isn't ranked, but he is also one of the top players in NJ. Look at your own january 2007 vids, then go watch some ryoko vs cape, vanz, mew2king, chudat vids. He's clearly better.
i dont worry about peach players honestly and what the hell does it mean "can take on"- anyone can take on someone else... and if he really wants to play me then he can anytime im really not scared. Also those videos are much older than january we had those forever before we uploaded them so plz know what your talking about, and if i felt like proving a point and uploading vids of me vs, Vidjo, mathos , jiano, joe bushman and the like i would but i dont need to. Also this had little to do with you so your involvement is a mystery to me. Im just telling you guys to get off peoples **** and get better yourself.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
So like, how about less ******** e-***** loldrama and more intelligent questions?

Luthien, would you mind telling us where you got those numbers? I'd like to see the rest of it.
... Please?

The answer is yes, with proper DI, both her Fsmash and Usmash are consistently escapable, and punishable. Since it's consistent, I'm assuming that means that its easier.
Well, it was able to be done consistently in Melee, so that's not really a reason to assume it's easier. However, hitlag on her F/Usmash has been increased, therefore it is indeed easier to escape.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Thanks for the answer (altough that's sad to hear :() and sorry if that was already written somewhere, I just couldn't find it... but I very rarely find any useful information even if I'm hit into face with it...

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
People who aren't asking questions should really stfu and gtfo this thread. The opening post was obviously was a joke, even though plenty of people are too dumb to understand. At any rate alot of the answers the mod has given are pretty accurate and has some good advice. I think i read through at least 5 pages of spam trying to look for good tips.

At any rate, i've been having some problems hitting a Fair and a Bair becuase you cant fast fall or at least i cant seem to in brawl. Would the best time to throw a kick be close to the start up of a jump or right before u hit the floor. And is it easier to hit a air borne player as opposed to a grounded one?

BtW cant get out of the habit of WaveDashing, it's gonna get me killed if i dont break that dead habbit :dizzy:

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Er, how did I miss that? Sorry >.>
I posted directly below you. :laugh:

Edit:
At any rate, i've been having some problems hitting a Fair and a Bair becuase you cant fast fall or at least i cant seem to in brawl. Would the best time to throw a kick be close to the start up of a jump or right before u hit the floor. And is it easier to hit a air borne player as opposed to a grounded one?
Once you hit the ff timing, you will find its actually pretty easy. Some (tall) characters can be hit with a sweetspot almost 100% of the time just by short hopping a fair/bair. Otherwise, it is just about learning where that sweetspot is...none of it is terribly hard if you can become accurate with it :). I have landed a d-throw to sweetspot bair to sweetspot bair before (once...and there was a ton of bad DI involved)...just takes practice.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Been browsing the forums for a long time, but just registered recently. Any way, I've been having trouble when my opponent launches me up high and directly above them. What's a good way to come back down to the stage (say on Final Destination, since that's where my friends and I usually play)?

Thanks in advance.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
You could try Farore's Wind either into the stage or into their face, but that's predictable and highly punishable. Normal way is fastfalling, aerial movement, airdodging...

Drake3

Smash Ace
2 things. I personally don't believe the potential 1/50 successful lightning kicks on a grounded target is worth the traumatic punishment you will receive if it's perfect shielded. It's far too easy for an opponent to stop a lightning kick when they're on the ground.

The second, I think Wind Owl's right. Farore's Wind is actually a pretty good way to stop people from juggling you. You could also try a sweet-spotted Dair (if you're feeling risky. I still haven't personally gotten the hang of it yet), maybe Nair (haven't tried yet), or just airdodge past them.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Thanks guys. I've been trying to sweepspot the Dair to stop juggling, but haven't had as much success as I would like. I'll probably just go for more air dodging (I usually get crushed when I try to teleport into them (I haven't logged too much time playing brawl yet), but I'll try to practice that more too).

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Having more options isnt a terrible idea. Its fast, so I tend to throw it out if I am above them anyway. It has a relatively low amount of priority, but can go off on most up-airs anyway (both attacks will likely go off). If you are accurate with it, it will make your opponents more wary of you in the air, which is never bad...

Farore's wind is good as they are coming at you. It has a deceptively long startup time (only slightly), which makes it a bit of a risk to use...but if you can get to the ground with it while they are above...thats a great thing.

Luthien

Smash Ace
There isn't really any good way for Zelda to get back down to the stage. FW still has horrendous lag, but it may be your best option.

If you have to use it, FW straight down if you haven't hit them with FW before, and their percent is pretty high. It catches them by surprise, and you should have enough time to gather your wits because of the move's semi-mediocre knockback. If your opponent is at any percent below 20, though, don't even consider it, in my opinion.

If you have hit them with FW before, though, I wouldn't try attacking them with it again. The trick gets old really fast (twice, maybe, if your opponent isn't too bright...). So, if FW is the only option, you should FW southeast/southwest, or if you feel kind of tricky, south-southeast/south-southwest. They might run into your attack if you try the latter option, but it's just as risky as FWing south. FWing diagonally down is generally immediately safer, but just as punishable depending on who you're facing. If you think they're gonna hit you anyway, you should try to attack them just for the heck of it, imo.

Mindgames.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
hmm sweetspoted Dair does'nt work when coming back down, why not?

anyway, Ryoko, after seeing several matchups, how do you think Zelda places among characters, generally average, or below average. Most people (me included) jumped to average to above average after hearing of the buffs, but then forgot that how good they are is relative to other chars around them, and a lot of bad characters DID get buffs. That being said how does she place, when I play, I definately feel that pit, marth, and toon link have an advantage over me, not as much as say fox vs. zelda in melee, but a definite advantage (i actually think fox still has the advantage over zelda, but I'm not sure, and its not even close to as big of a gap as in melee).

I think she plays average at best, though I can't really see her below average, so average is probably where she is.

EDIT: when looking at her placement, take into account how many characters that you can name who are worse than zelda (not too many) and the fact that she has bad approaches from above and can be ***** when people powershield her fair/bair and that her fsmash and usmash are useless.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is the character I pick for any difficult matchups that I encounter. So far, I feel like she can pretty much handle anything out there...there hasnt been any matchup that I would deem too impossible anyway. Tiers dont matter if you ask me, Zelda is definitely a solid choice.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Zelda is the character I pick for any difficult matchups that I encounter. So far, I feel like she can pretty much handle anything out there...there hasnt been any matchup that I would deem too impossible anyway. Tiers dont matter if you ask me, Zelda is definitely a solid choice.
I agree with you there. Zelda looks like a character that can win anyone with proper tactic and good mindgames. I´ve never actually trusted in tiers, but more like the feeling you get when playing characters. Me playing Fox in Melee, that was just horrible to see... But I think it´s a little early to bring tiers into this conversation, since we´ve got no idea what´s the future tier list gonna be like.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I posted directly below you. :laugh:

Edit:

Once you hit the ff timing, you will find its actually pretty easy. Some (tall) characters can be hit with a sweetspot almost 100% of the time just by short hopping a fair/bair. Otherwise, it is just about learning where that sweetspot is...none of it is terribly hard if you can become accurate with it :). I have landed a d-throw to sweetspot bair to sweetspot bair before (once...and there was a ton of bad DI involved)...just takes practice.
Hitting a stationary target on the ground with a good kick isn't too bad (or even a not so stationary target close to the ground), but if we're both way up in the air falling it's harder to nail them with it, not so much because I can't gauge my own movements but I mis-gauge theirs! It's like I'm still on the Melee physics, used to other characters falling in a very particular way.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Dear RyokoYaksa,

I have some questions.

Could all the buffs Zelda received in Brawl be classified, as some would call it, "the Love"? Just curious.

Also, is it possible that our esteemed moderated could write a discreet, self-contained, more concise FAQ for about our beloved magical matriarch, she of Din's Fire Spamming and sparkleriffic heel-toe action? Like something that could be put on Gamefaqs.com? I think it would be a worthwhile academic pursuit to condense and gather the knowledge spread out across this fine and formidable board of yours. If you can't, that is understandable, but fair warning, some lowly reprobate like myself would write an FAQ on our Lady of Hyrule...and no wants that. (I suck you see. Suck like a sourspotted D-Air. You see...I play for fun.) Unless of course we call forth on the mysterious powers of one DaRkNeSsOfHeArT to usher forth such a document, as he has done in ages before. (Props to DoH for the melee FAQ.)

In summary, I believe a standardized FAQ on this board would be neato.

Also, have you, RyokoYaksa, experimented with dodged certain might Final Smashes point blank by implementing the invincibility portions of the Transformation to Sheik or vice versa? A feat of daring-do no doubt, but it sounds like in theory it should work and at the same time would almost be too easy.

Sincerely,
That Weird Lurker that Talks Funny

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It doesn't look like RyokoYaksa has replied in a few days.
Here's a pretty specific question (i made a thread, but it'd dropping off the forum list fast), which character(s) make the best Zelda partner for 2v2? Specifically, for 2v2 tourney purposes.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
I have vision that you lack.

Anyone who disagrees with my judgements, will squander in their games.

My advice is greater than all others.

And most importantly, my Zelda style is also greater than all others.

If you have a question, I likely have the answer.

/ego tripping

So go ahead and ask.

alright im ready to ditto you if your ready...add me

Kyo Kusanagi

Smash Ace
Here's my comment, where were you in Melee, last time I checked I had the best Zelda Title in the East Coast. I'm up for a ditto in Melee or Brawl and I know you'll lose either way. Prove it!!!!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I find it funny that people consider doing a ditto being the event that proves the best.

Different body types folks. Want to prove to be the best? Then start kicking *** at tournaments, yeesh.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Although your ego trip was kind of weird to read, I still do have a question and would like it if others commented as well.

Din's Fire-Use or abuse? I've heard different things from different people. Some say to abuse it like ridiculous and KO people simply by the ridiculous air-comboing if you can keep your opponent from air dodging or if they're just stupid, but now that Zelda is becoming my secondary character, I've asked a friend how I'm doing while using her (I won the matches I used her in that night, and pretty well too, so I was assuming not too badly). He said, "Well, I think you need to use more moves of hers." Keep in mind he's not a really advanced player; when we used to play Melee, he didn't even attempt at learning wavedashing, et cetera; out of our group of three, he was more of the casual player. But the reason he said this, mostly I assume, was because Din's Fire annoyed him like crazy when I would air combo him and make it nigh impossible to recover. So I have to ask, is Din's Fire a move to use or abuse? Or do I only abuse it on opponents who (having no projectiles that can punish me well from afar) retreat, punishing them with air combos, or do I only use it when they are recovering, or what? I know a lot of this is my own play style, but I also need to know what actually works when it comes to competitive gaming. If you need a video to answer my question, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to get one online.

Renth

Smash Hero
Here's my comment, where were you in Melee, last time I checked I had the best Zelda Title in the East Coast. I'm up for a ditto in Melee or Brawl and I know you'll lose either way. Prove it!!!!
*cough* *cough*

UmbreonMows zelda was better than you in melee, no offense.. you're from TN after all.

Ryoko will lose either way huh.. Sorry guys but he's pretty much the real deal. Not that he needs me to say anything anyway. See for yourselves

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
I find it funny that people consider doing a ditto being the event that proves the best.

Different body types folks. Want to prove to be the best? Then start kicking *** at tournaments, yeesh.
i find it funny...SHUT UP, putting the exact same characters against eachother where nothing is different but the commands the players input and how they play is exactly how you prove who is better. Not by one person getting matched up against a sheik in a tournament and one getting a falco. PWND and also..yea Mow is supposed to be the best in the east. I own midwest..and ryoko owns his threads...lol

SoftCactus

Smash Rookie
well if you dont know who i am then you sir are a n0body when it comes to melee there is a zero percent chance his zelda is better than mine and i never said he wasn't good just get off his nuts because he hasn't done anything yet
I have been lurking in smash boards for about two weeks now, soaking up information about brawl and you are the reason I'm finally going to make a post.

If you are going to try to communicate with people and subject all of us to your idiocy USE GRAMMAR.

Thanks.

Back on topic - Is there a trick to getting Zelda to stick to the ledge when you use her UpB. What I am trying to say is that I want to have teleport right up against the ledge and grab on. Lets say this is because there is a Marth hanging out there trying to smash me if I go a little too high or land on the platform. Is it easiest to do this from any specific angle? (IE: Directly horizontal to the stage) Does the angle of the stage matter at all?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
i find it funny...SHUT UP, putting the exact same characters against eachother where nothing is different but the commands the players input and how they play is exactly how you prove who is better. Not by one person getting matched up against a sheik in a tournament and one getting a falco. PWND and also..yea Mow is supposed to be the best in the east. I own midwest..and ryoko owns his threads...lol
>buzzer sound here<

Wrong. That just proves that you're good against another Zelda. Someone who is truly good with that characters knows the distance between their Zelda and the other player's character, no matter who it is. They know when to make, for example, a Din's Fire blow up when a player charges at them to get them barely within the range of the explosion.

I admit that my techniques probably aren't the best, but I at least know how other characters move to adjust to them accordingly. If I'm up against something new, I take what I've learned from before, apply it to the current situation, and quickly eliminate and adjust what is necessary for what they opponent pulls off on me.

If all you can say is that you can beat anyone who uses your character, then you're nothing. Those who can consistently beat other characters are those who actually can use a "best" title until they're overtaken by a new generation.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
Although your ego trip was kind of weird to read, I still do have a question and would like it if others commented as well.

Din's Fire-Use or abuse? I've heard different things from different people. Some say to abuse it like ridiculous and KO people simply by the ridiculous air-comboing if you can keep your opponent from air dodging or if they're just stupid, but now that Zelda is becoming my secondary character, I've asked a friend how I'm doing while using her (I won the matches I used her in that night, and pretty well too, so I was assuming not too badly). He said, "Well, I think you need to use more moves of hers." Keep in mind he's not a really advanced player; when we used to play Melee, he didn't even attempt at learning wavedashing, et cetera; out of our group of three, he was more of the casual player. But the reason he said this, mostly I assume, was because Din's Fire annoyed him like crazy when I would air combo him and make it nigh impossible to recover. So I have to ask, is Din's Fire a move to use or abuse? Or do I only abuse it on opponents who (having no projectiles that can punish me well from afar) retreat, punishing them with air combos, or do I only use it when they are recovering, or what? I know a lot of this is my own play style, but I also need to know what actually works when it comes to competitive gaming. If you need a video to answer my question, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to get one online.

It depends, its up to how you play. unless you for some unknown reason you Din's fire in your opponents face or do it off the stage there is not really a way to punish it. As for using din's fire while your opponent is recovering, well you can harass them or use it to set up for a kill move like up smash or L-kick. their is not really a negative to using Din's fire.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Back on topic - Is there a trick to getting Zelda to stick to the ledge when you use her UpB. What I am trying to say is that I want to have teleport right up against the ledge and grab on. Lets say this is because there is a Marth hanging out there trying to smash me if I go a little too high or land on the platform. Is it easiest to do this from any specific angle? (IE: Directly horizontal to the stage) Does the angle of the stage matter at all?
Look here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155351

Try practicing your aim. I do know for a fact that you could sweetspot from every angle in Melee, but I'm not sure about Brawl; I'm new to it too. However, I can safely tell you that you can always sweetspot/grab the ledge from below or the side.

It's easiest to grab the ledge when your directly beside it, 45 degrees below it, and right below it so you teleport straight up. That's because your control stick will lock into the right direction so you don't have to think too hard... oh never mind. Just look at the thread, it's all explained there. But I can tell you that it's harder to grab the ledge heading downwards.

Succesfully grabbing the ledge teleporting downwards is tricky, but it can be done. I'm not sure how to master it yet, but I'll try to get a somewhat more accurate response by tomorrow.

At any rate, for now I can tell you that I tend to try reappearing a little farther from the ledge and a little above it when teleporting downwards, so that Zelda can grab it with the momentum she's given after FWing.

...but don't quote me on that. Again, I'll mess around and see if I can come up with something. Unless someone wants to do it first or already knows the answer *cough*Blink*cough*

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out a bit with the mechanics of the dtilt? Mainly the randomness of whether they're stunned for a split second or if they do their falling over thing and are stunned for a lot longer. I don't currently have access to a copy of Brawl so I can't test it now, but my theory is that it has something to do with your opponents damage, since I've noticed that it normally works for me at 0% and then stops after that until it's used about 3-4 more times and then they do their little falling over thing again.

Also, at what percent does Dtilt make your opponent rise in the air (which can lead to usmash/utilt/ftilt/fsmash/etc)

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me out a bit with the mechanics of the dtilt? Mainly the randomness of whether they're stunned for a split second or if they do their falling over thing and are stunned for a lot longer. I don't currently have access to a copy of Brawl so I can't test it now, but my theory is that it has something to do with your opponents damage, since I've noticed that it normally works for me at 0% and then stops after that until it's used about 3-4 more times and then they do their little falling over thing again.

Also, at what percent does Dtilt make your opponent rise in the air (which can lead to usmash/utilt/ftilt/fsmash/etc)
well what is new to to Zelda's d tilt is that it always has a chance to trip your opponent and since the more damage the opponent has the more chance's their they have to trip. Zelda's d tilt also has a small amount of hit stun, so at low percent you can use d tilt and once you connect you can spam it for a couple of times ( however it can be easily DI-ed out of) and the more you use it the more likely you will trip you opponent. you can d-smash after hit stun of the d-tilt or if your opponent tripped as well as you can use f-smash (however this move has tighter time to connect.

On a side note only use F-smash after D-tilt if you know it will connect and only use F-smash in general if your opponent is grounded. if you hit with F-smash when your opponent is in the air it can be easily DI-ed out of. to answer your second question D-tilt has knockback roughly at 76% and up.

Top Bottom