• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am the most brilliant Zelda player you will ever meet

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Stale Move Negation works well in Zelda's FAVOR. You can spam one of the kicks for damage, and switch to the other of the kicks to kill. Or spam kicks for damage and kill with the Upair/Uptilt. She just has so many high-powered kill moves that you can use them as much as you like to build damage and still have one or two fresh options available at any given time.
OMG why am I such a dumb@ss!? OF COURSE! use one of the kicks to build up damage and save the other to kill. I'm assuming the kill kick should be more versatile since its more important if it hits so it should be bair, because you can do it when someones behind you or through the glitch, when someones infront of you too.

@Ledger_Damayn

of course we don't know how exactly to play with any character but we need somekind of guideline, and IN THE CURRENT MOMENT, zelda's kicks are her best KO option (kills mario in the middle of FD at 67% ! the runerup, uAir, killing somewhere around 85ish%). I dunno whether or not Dair is gonna be too useful, too early to tell, because you gimp yourself if you miss and the hitbox is tiny, but Fair/Dair have the same attributes so meh, time will tell).

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Wait...what?
Pwny's got a point, at any given moment her best KO moves are her **** :chuckle:.
sry, just had to get one more out of it.

At OP: awesome way to start a Q&A, I laughed.

@ topic: I don't see what the big deal is, if you alternated between her fair and bair, wouldn't they negate decay on eachother? If you need three, then get out a din's fire.

I know matches don't always go as planned, but just keep it in mind and try to sneak them in.

I think training your opponent to fall for uair is going to be the key to Zelda.

Something I did in a match today that seems viable: I trained my opponent to air dodge fairs, then waited till he dodged one off the edge and footstool-jumped.

She has so many weapons, and fear of them is another one.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
What would you say is Zelda's best combo starter? And what moves does she have that are good to combo with?
As far as guaranteed combos, only Dtilt and jab/ftilt at low damages will really lead into anything. Brawl's new physics are very nonconducive to combos. Stun on sends is greatly reduced, people can dodge out very quickly, and increased floatiness makes people difficult for Zelda to chase since she's not exactly agile.

I have two questions, oh self-important moderator.

What are some tips for approaching with Zelda effectively? Dash attack doesn't seem like the best choice.

Also, what are some of Zelda's bread and butter combos (if any)?
For starters, mind your tone. ;)

*Din's Fire camp to make them approach you. Will not be worth doing against certain obvious characters (Ness, Lucas, GW), or a character that can outspam/outcamp Zelda.
*Running Usmash. Kills side-dodging.
*Jump in with air dodges.
*Tap the shield button to cancel a run. Releasing the shield only takes like 3 frames in this game.
*Use a plain old walk. Overlooked, but keeps all of Zelda's options open, defensive and offensive. Approach with relatively "safe" moves such as Zelda's jab, dtilt, Fsmash, or Nair. If those hit or you spot some other opening, then rush in with whatever works, with a priority on moves that will KO.
*Against people who are prone to dodge/roll frequently when you run at them, just run into them and watch what they do, then react accordingly. Or rush in, bait an attack then turn tail at the last moment. Mix it up. Never be predictable when you don't already have the upper hand on your opponent.

As far as actual guaranteed combos:
*Dtilt -> stuff, including itself, Dsmash, Ftilt, Utilt, Usmash (or running Usmash), or even a kick when the Dtilt makes them go airborne. Dtilt also has a high chance of causing foes to trip on hit. If you trip them, they will be at a large frame disadvantage, which allows you to follow up with several slower types of attack. Not sure if you can get a kick off in time, though. Dtilt is the bread and butter combo starter.
*Ftilt at 0-very low damage can also lead into things depending on DI.
*Jab at 0-low damage -> stuff. Dash grab or dash attack works most easily.
*Certain weak hits including sourspotted kicks from Zelda can cause a grounded opponent to trip, again causing a large frame advantage for you. There may be other non-Dtilt moves of Zelda's that cause this, but for the time being I only noticed it happening with weak kicks, and infrequently.

Here's a question... the Nayru's Love... I can use it, but I'm always attacked while in the crystals... how come the crystals aren't hurting my opponent? What do I have to do?
Nayru's does not attack immediately. Secondly, if Nayru's attack portion clashes with another attack, Nayru's will either trade for only 1 damage, or just lose entirely. You have to get the attack to hit when the target is not making an attack of their own. The invulnerability frames you get before the attack will help you accomplish this.

rageagainst said:
Oh do you know anything about the Sheik/Zelda theory. I'm gonna try n make it work. Its that since shiek only has ONE (inferior) kill move but usually has better approaches and combos that Zelda, could you start the match as Sheik, get the opponent to 67%, smash him far away, and do the 4 sec long switch to go for the kill as Zelda? This joint character would seem far more superior than Sheik or Zelda separately, but is it possible?
Zelda/Sheik works provided you can get the Transforms off. For Sheik->Zelda, you have to hit them with something hard. Zelda can Transform easily enough by KO'ing them (preferably off the top). Sheik->Zelda takes approximately 2 seconds to do. Zelda->Sheik takes longer, about 2.5 seconds. You have to make sure they can't reach you in that timeframe, unless you risk taking a hit. The fact that upon Transform, all the other character's (Zelda's) moves are at full power is a nice enough reason to look into it. But you still have to land a move with Zelda. Against certain characters on certain stages (and yes, certain styles), this may not come easily. It could even negate the advantage of Transforming into Zelda since Sheik is much better equipped to seek and destroy campers.

In teams, finding a good time to Transform is tricky as it largely prevents you from helping your teammate for a time, and can even force your teammate to defend your Transformation. There's also the issue of deciding when Transforming is a good idea, with 2 different enemies to worry about.

OrlanduEX said:
You mean Ryoko's a guy?
Ask Stipulation.

Drake3 said:
No she's not, don't be fooled. What's Zelda's worst match-up?
I don't have a number in my name. Especially not 3, III, or three.

And Zelda's worst match-ups are still characters that outspam and outcamp her. It's made worse if that character happens to be quicker than Zelda. Fox is always a tough one, being largely immune to Din's Fire, very speedy, and with his own projectile spam which also happens to replenish his A moves just the same as any other move. A Marth that knows how to abuse his range and lack of lag is also a major challenge. Pit, on a stage like Bridge of Eldin, will take forever for Zelda to chase down while you're under a barrage of arrows. Any character that can easily negate Din's Fire or worse, use it against Zelda, will also be harder to deal with than those who actually have to worry about Din's, because Din's is really that nice.

Crescendolls

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the opening post sounded really egocentric and presumptuous.
Also I don't see how you're the "most brilliant" Zelda player, as most people here don't even have the game(you could have said "right now" but you said "ever"), and I'm sure at one point or another someone will surpass you(or maybe not, but it's still way to early to decide).
you mean the most "brilliant" player.........up until now!

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
This flame bait must be mighty delicious, as many n00bs are caught on your line.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
And since PwnyRide popped in, I feel that it's appropriate to mention that Zelda's "****" are not KO moves,
Definitly a nerf =/

So, do you think Zelda have a somewhat easier time in her matches?

Also, what type of moves can punish her?

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Back air and forward air are essentially the same move again, but in Melee there were slight differences. Have you noticed any differences between the two so far?

This seems impractical, but does using one lower the power/knockback of the other or can they be alternated between to retain their maximum potential?

How often does down tilt trip?

What would you rate her dash attack in terms of overall usefulness?

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Back air and forward air are essentially the same move again, but in Melee there were slight differences. Have you noticed any differences between the two so far?

This seems impractical, but does using one lower the power/knockback of the other or can they be alternated between to retain their maximum potential?

How often does down tilt trip?

What would you rate her dash attack in terms of overall usefulness?
Her dtilt seem to trip very often
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hxsoktirZA

The power of her fair kick does get weaker when used. I hit Sonic with it when he had 80% and it didn't kill him. (he was close to the cliff) Although I don't know how often you have to alt between moves

Her running A is very useful.

I know you probably didn't want to hear this from me but I thought I'd answer.

Hope this helps!

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
while i have been playing it seems that moves come out really fast after the neutral a jab. Are these IASA Frames?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is grabbing with Zelda easier in Brawl ?
Yes, grabbing is in fact "easier."

Most character's standing grabs are still the same 7 frame stuff they were before in Melee. Zelda's grab was 12 frames by comparison (ugh).

In Brawl, Zelda's standing (also walking) grab isn't 7, but it's not 12, either. Without precise testing methods I'm really just pulling numbers out of my ***, but I want to say that her standing grab is 9 frames. Her dash grab feels like it connects slightly quicker than her standing one, and can connect at longer reaches (though this takes a bit longer). Without a tool to count frames, I can't give exact numbers. Also, the range of her standing grab is shorter in comparison to most other characters, even Peach who now has better grab range. Zelda's dash grab range is rather good.

There are plenty of grabs in this video of Naks if you want to see it for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTywSP2wlrQ

Tmnt1837 said:
while i have been playing it seems that moves come out really fast after the neutral a jab. Are these IASA Frames?
Yes. Zelda has good IASA frames on a few attacks, notably Dtilt. Jab and Ftilt also have good IASA frames.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
lmao @ people spamming in a moderator's thread >.>

Ryoko, can you go more in depth about the Dair? I have recently been playing zelda a lot, and can't get the sweetspot down.
Apparently, it can only be sweetspotted on airborne enemies. So no dair killing off the top :urg:

Anyway, for my questions, how bad is it to sourspot/how punishable is it? And also, how's the landing lag of each aerial? Great? tolerable? horrible?

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
well if you dont know who i am then you sir are a n0body when it comes to melee there is a zero percent chance his zelda is better than mine and i never said he wasn't good just get off his nuts because he hasn't done anything yet

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Apparently, it can only be sweetspotted on airborne enemies. So no dair killing off the top :urg:

Anyway, for my questions, how bad is it to sourspot/how punishable is it? And also, how's the landing lag of each aerial? Great? tolerable? horrible?
That isnt *exactly* true. It can sweetspot on grounded foes, but instead of hitting them up, they just fall over. Its easy to follow up with a ground attack when this occurs. So sweetspotting a d-air when they are on the ground is not too bad.

Sourspotting is no more punishable than a normal attack. What is dangerous is when they powershield a sweetspot. They drop their shield while you sit there (frozen) because you sweetspotted.

Zelda's landing lag is respectable. Most of the time, her attacks finish so quickly you wont even have to worry about it I have found. but, she does have a small amount of lag on all of her aerials.

Zone

Smash Champion
I know this isn't thread related But I wanted to share it anyways. I money matched a super noob from a guy at work. He thought he was awesome. He was one of those guys when you ask "Do you know what an l-cancel is?" He says, "What's that?"

Anyways, I money matched him. And I told him I'd only use my face.

I won a set vs him, using only my face >.>;

20dollahs ftw!
all I could do was dash dance and do smash attacks. and jump.

Sorry had to share that with someone. lol

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
well this argument was originally about zelda and people down south have heard of me as well as west and people know when it comes to zelda dont argue with me

Luthien

Smash Ace
this game came out a few weeks ago noone is really good yet
... >.>

Does this constantly repeated message annoy anyone else?

Seriously, EVERYBODY knows that in the grand scheme of things, nobody is "Good" right now. But for now, some people are most DEFINITELY better than others. Ryoko is most certainly "Good" for right now, and he's only going to get better as time passes. I would sooner go to him for advice than many others.

Why? Because Ryoko has indeed shown that he is better at Brawl than many others. And the advice he's given has been intelligent. Not to mention he actually has his hands on Brawl. I don't seem to recall you saying you've played it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Considering you're so good, perhaps you ought to make your own Zelda advice thread. All you've done so far is pollute this thread with egotistical spam. Perhaps you ought to give us mere mortals advice instead of laughing your *** off at this thread and everyone who's posted in it before you like an idiot.

Oh, and congrats to Zone on beating that n00b. I'm not surprised at all.

EDIT:
That isnt *exactly* true. It can sweetspot on grounded foes, but instead of hitting them up, they just fall over. Its easy to follow up with a ground attack when this occurs. So sweetspotting a d-air when they are on the ground is not too bad.
I don't think so. Take a look here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978&page=2

Making them fall isn't the result of a sweetspotted Dair, it's them tripping due to the new Brawl feature. Zelda's Dair only makes them fall if the sourspot hits, and if they're in the range of 80-141%, apparently. Here:

ZELDA
A 34-46
*dtilt 0-92
fair+bair (they're identical) wiener versions 113-128
?dair wiener version 80%-141
I could be wrong. But regardless, thank you Mugwump.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Topcat:
Stop being egotistical

Slikvik is a very good peach player that can take on Vanz, who is one of the top players in NJ I believe.

Ryoko isn't ranked, but he is also one of the top players in NJ. Look at your own january 2007 vids, then go watch some ryoko vs cape, vanz, mew2king, chudat vids. He's clearly better.

Zone

Smash Champion
Oh, and congrats to Zone on beating that n00b. I'm not surprised at all.
Yes, I'm not surprised I beat him If I used my hands. But this is my face!!
I used my cheek for the joystick, and my tongue for the C-stick.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I don't think so. Take a look here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978&page=2

Making them fall isn't the result of a sweetspotted Dair, it's them tripping due to the new Brawl feature. Zelda's Dair only makes them fall if the sourspot hits, and if they're in the range of 80-141%, apparently. Here:
He got it from that link he posted. >.>

That may be true. I did not do such extensive testing with the mechanic, but I know for a fact that when I tested a few weeks back the effect a sweetspotted dair would have on a grounded foe, they fell down. Its possible that it could be % based (I found it very hard to land when they were on the ground, and thus racked up damage trying), but it definitely happens.

TopCat, you need to come off your high horse. You aren't as famous as you think. This is Brawl, everyone is equal again.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
That may be true. I did not do such extensive testing with the mechanic, but I know for a fact that when I tested a few weeks back the effect a sweetspotted dair would have on a grounded foe, they fell down. Its possible that it could be % based (I found it very hard to land when they were on the ground, and thus racked up damage trying), but it definitely happens.
This isn't an effect of sweetspotting the Dair on a grounded opponent, but a high % chance of certain low knockback attacks causing a grounded opponent to trip. Zelda's Dtilt and weakspotted kicks also experience this.

You can get the Dair sweetspot against an opponent's shield, but that's it.

TheLake

Smash Master
I know this isn't thread related But I wanted to share it anyways. I money matched a super noob from a guy at work. He thought he was awesome. He was one of those guys when you ask "Do you know what an l-cancel is?" He says, "What's that?"

Anyways, I money matched him. And I told him I'd only use my face.

I won a set vs him, using only my face >.>;

20dollahs ftw!
all I could do was dash dance and do smash attacks. and jump.

Sorry had to share that with someone. lol
*slow clap* Im inspired

Feranel

Smash Rookie
Seriously dude..loose the attitude. I lost respect and interest after reading your first post. I cant believe some of the members have turned into your "zombie minions" and saying idiotic stuff like: "bows*, hail*".
Its nice of you to be helpfull, but dont overrate yourself.... *hmm I wonder if you have normal friends in rl or if they are all your slaves....

TheLake

Smash Master
Who needs slaves or friends when you have an awsome zelda?

Ah and of course in regards to ryoko *bows*

Luthien

Smash Ace
Seriously dude..loose the attitude. I lost respect and interest after reading your first post. I cant believe some of the members have turned into your "zombie minions" and saying idiotic stuff like: "bows*, hail*".
Its nice of you to be helpfull, but dont overrate yourself.... *hmm I wonder if you have normal friends in rl or if they are all your slaves....
Um... Ryoko isn't being serious. >.> <.< You can just read the original post and find that he is, indeed, exagerating. "I am the most brilliant Zelda player you will ever meet" is the Ryoko equivilent of "Feel free to ask me for advice here, I'd be willing to help."

And as for the "bowing" and "hailing" Ryoko, that's just our way of kidding back. Ryoko acts egotistical, and we act like he's a god and we're mere mortals. We're playing along. It's one big bowl of hyperbole. I can't believe I actually had to spell this out for people... I must look like an idiot for doing this...

Oh, and Ryoko: *Bows*

Edit:

This is Brawl, everyone is equal again.
This is something I disagree with. Some people, even now, are CLEARLY better than others. For example, Ryoko's Brawl Zelda could mop the floor with mine. That is why he has a Zelda advice thread, and I do not. If Ryoko was just as bad as everyone else, this thread would be pointless.

Granted, the gap between good and bad players is much smaller now, but still, some people have plenty more skill than others. This period in Brawl is just a time when the bad players are given a chance to catch up. They're given a bit of a boost, that's all. People aren't suddenly equal because it's a new game.

Feranel

Smash Rookie
Well in that case.. I think she pretty much spoiled it for random people to ask her anything since they dont know her like you people do.

By the way, its just a game people, there is more in life.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Well in that case.. I think she pretty much spoiled it for random people to ask her anything since they dont know her like you people do.

By the way, its just a game people, there is more in life.
To risk being overly philosophical... life is a game. There are rules, and you can win and lose. That being said, since we spend our lives mastering the game of life, it's not too much of stretch to think that we sometimes want to detach ourselves by playing a less complicated game.

Top Bottom