• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
BTW i'm usually stoned throughout any torunament I go to haha, i'm just so accustomed to playing high so it makes me pretty beast. I always smoke with kage and my boy hax$ at big tourneys. Drinking on the other hand makes me terribad
I think it's no coincidence that all of Houston's best players are high at tournaments. If only I didn't work in a pharmacy...they test too much

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Hey, fledgeling Ganon here. I play melee whenever possible. Not many people play it here in CO, but I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to travel to tourneys out of state to finally get some experience under my belt.

I was reading about Ganon's ledge options. I think I remember reading that if done correctly, Ganon's ledge grab ---> immediately DJ waveland onto the stage -----> is fast enough that if you jab immediately after you get onto the stage, the whole movement up to the jab is invincible. Is this true? How often should I use DJ waveland onto the stage when I grab the ledge? i.e. is it punishable?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That ledge option I think it's definitely invincible if you do it fast enough but wavelanding onto the stage is definitely punishable if people expect it.. which is why you have to mix it up.. Like simply jump on the stage, simple roll, jump on stage + an aerial or grounded move. There's a lot of options so try to make sure that you stay unpredictable.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Kage is right, you have to mix it up.

Some good options are:
Ledgedash into jab(inv), grab, ftilt, or roll
Ledgehop into jab(inv), grab(inv), ftilt, side-b, or down-b (use sparingly)
Roll (better below 100%)
Jump (faster under 100%, it puts you in the same spot each time, so only use this if your opponent is too far away to punish)
Getup attack (inv. under 100%, can be used as an edgeguard vs some characters)
Reverse Ledge Dash (into DJ fair, uair, or dair - risky since if you get hit you don't have a jump, but this is great for surprising your opponent. It also has many edeguarding applications with bair, uair, and even dair)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
So uh.. Two really nooby question. Whenever I try to waveland on to stage or even jump onto stage I just barely make it and I can't get even get enough air to wavedash, I get that animation that happens when you're inside a platform and then land on it. What am I doing wrong? And the second; how do you punish when someone misses a tech or does the get-up attack? Thanks in advance.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So uh.. Two really nooby question. Whenever I try to waveland on to stage or even jump onto stage I just barely make it and I can't get even get enough air to wavedash, I get that animation that happens when you're inside a platform and then land on it. What am I doing wrong? And the second; how do you punish when someone misses a tech or does the get-up attack? Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you aren't hitting jump quick enough after you drop from the ledge. You don't have to achieve maximum height from the ledgehop to make it on stage, but you'll have to try to hit jump 1-2 frames earlier to get the height needed to dash. Once that becomes muscle memory (and it will with practice), you can learn the RLD (reverse ledge dash).

There are many, many ways to punish missed techs and get-up attacks. It is also very character specific (regarding which punish will do the most damage). Check the "Techchasing Fastfallers" thread for ideas.

n0ne

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Got some Dorf vids up. Pretty rough friendlies weekend. Tell me what u think ppl.

DITTOS!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1oODconIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81OsW6iAwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSEN0ssH_TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN6eEvRVPlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqfyEf_Hhw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAg-3za_bM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8L6rmjK-34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1JYhyDPVkU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkILBSllNBU

v Marth (these are older... forgot about these)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW4Htyecq4w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukSj0EZtjE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fds_AlMxPGw

phew! there are alot more friendlies on my channel just in case

I STILL have Dorf v FAlcon matches, didnt have time for those (been too busy with mario and fox)..... im gonna try to upload them tomorrow and give links on another post.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I can't really watch videos at the moment even though I play a lot these days, my heart will explode if I do. lol. I've been longing for tournaments..

n0ne

Smash Ace
i had once uploaded some vids but i remember they were without sound, and some weird video format, but now im getting the hang of it... quality is not perfect but is pretty good and video fall size is ok. now i can start to record more often.

haha super mannon i thought he was called evil superman or something but thats MUCH better

Up-ing vs Falcon matches right now... will post links later

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Kage is right, you have to mix it up.

Some good options are:
Ledgedash into jab(inv), grab, ftilt, or roll
Ledgehop into jab(inv), grab(inv), ftilt, side-b, or down-b (use sparingly)
Roll (better below 100%)
Jump (faster under 100%, it puts you in the same spot each time, so only use this if your opponent is too far away to punish)
Getup attack (inv. under 100%, can be used as an edgeguard vs some characters)
Reverse Ledge Dash (into DJ fair, uair, or dair - risky since if you get hit you don't have a jump, but this is great for surprising your opponent. It also has many edeguarding applications with bair, uair, and even dair)
I always get punished for ledge jump lol.

Thanks a ton for the tips. I'm working on getting the ledgedash consistently so that I don't SD before I use it in serious matches...

Also how do you reverse ledgedash, (or what is it)?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
RLD: drop, then jump and hold forward immediately (try to be frame perfect), pause for a split second, and just before you land on stage hit away and R. You will waveland offstage and grab the ledge. Before you grab the ledge, you can aerial, dj aerial, or ff dj aerial depending on which edgeguard the situation calls for.

Also, don't forget ledgehop > runoff > dj back onstage, bair.

I got a new controller recently and ledge stuff just got harder. The only reason I bought a new controller was because the joystick rubber fell off for the billionth time after super gluing it for years. I'm about to just swap joysticks lol. Funny that I by a new controller and use it for parts lol

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Damn lol. I had a lot of grip on my old one just from dried up super glue getting all over it. I woulda just glued it again but I don't know when or where the joystick fell off. I bought 2 brand new official nintendo white controllers from Amazon last week, neither of which has a sensitive joystick (so I can basically forget chaingrabbing falco), and one actually favors the right (dash jump left and laser with falco, half the times it will make you shoot a laser to the right). Kinda blows, but the first one probably just needs a lot of breaking in.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
ace i know what you mean, i bought a new controller a couple of months ago and it favored the right also, it's been getting better though. I do it a lot less and am getting more control over him. I still have problems doing turn around grabs though, it's rather aggravating as I could have kept my advantage but instead i throw it all away because of something so stupid.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I love the white controllers because of the durability and sturdiness of the control stick. I've been playing with the black controllers and they are absolutely horrible because after awhile my character seems to always move on his own. They give out way too fast for me at least, the white controllers are definitely way more manageable. Imo

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Silver are the best in my experience. I've owned 2 silvers, 2 blacks, and 2 whites. Silvers **** the whites.
I play with a silver actually. I need a new one though because my analog stick is falling off. I don't want to have to relearn a new one though :/

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Tbh the whites seem to have great buttons, but the joystick is nothing like the silver in terms of sensitivity, which makes all the difference in quick dashes/pivots.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I have a silver and a black. I fight with my friend over who gets to use the silver controller.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The triggers don't move smoothly in the whites. For some reason, they sometimes get stuck on the side of the control as you push them. Tested this on more than one control, so it seems to be consistent.
I agree. It's like the whites' joysticks and R/L buttons need Lovage to break them in for 6 months before they're sensitive lol

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Any good Ganon vids come out lately?

Kage, have you recorded anything lately? Dave?

Also Guini, when's that combo video come out??

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I can see the L/R stick issue. I have noticed a variable grind on most whites. This is probably an issue with the case/part sizes, not an issue with breaking it in. Possible solution would be to use sandpaper on the parts.

Also, I will trade any of my broken in controllers for a fresh new controller. I love breaking in controllers and I love the feel of a new one. If we go to a tourney together let me know ahead of time and i'll bring a few and you can see if you like any.

kupo15

Smash Hero
L has problems with my white. Its not a spring matter its the fact that it grinds against the plastic as if the sliding track wasn't made properly so you need to press straight down for it to work. I've gotten used to doing this so its not an issue anymore. You can replace the springs if you want though.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Unfortunately i'm going through a tight time in my life where I need to focus on school and getting a job since my family is in a bad financial situation. I don't have the time or money to be traveling OOS for a least a good while, and even if I had the funds it's not like i'd be ready(haven't been training much). I will still be regularly attending FL tournaments tho so no worries. Hopefully next semester i'll be in a better situation and be able to travel again.
I understand how ya feel man. That's mostly why I've been missing most of the tournaments this semester. I gotta stack bread. But I'm still training my Ganon too. Been gettin' alot of Falcon practice from Kris. Falcon's a hard match up for, lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I talked to Fuzzyness yesterday and he said that Shield dropping should be used more often.. I thought about it and it seems like it would be useful. (I actually dreamt about it too for some reason, I guess I deemed it worthy enough lol)

For example on BF, You are Ganon on the left platform you shield. Marth Uptilts your shield. You can apparently drop down from the platform and instantly upair Marth while Marth is still in lag from the utilt.. how sick is that?

It seems to me this technique can create more opportunities to punish even though it's situational.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I played him, he's very campy.
Iori is whatever he wants to be...

Okay, I got a quick question for you folks: how long did it take you to learn to consistently waveland from the edge? Also, is it possible to uair from the ledge onto the stage?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Iori is whatever he wants to be...

Okay, I got a quick question for you folks: how long did it take you to learn to consistently waveland from the edge? Also, is it possible to uair from the ledge onto the stage?
Yes it's possible to uair on the stage from the ledge, it's one of the options Ganon should use sometimes. As for wavelanding consistently, I still mess up every once a while. You can't really sleep on the technical with any character for that matter, that question for how long does it take to get consistently get it is a bit odd to me.

Top Bottom