• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Did someone say frame data?

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all airborne on the 7th frame of the jump animation.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i was playing ganon recently and noticed that if you fullhop backwards on dreamland you land on those platforms way faster than if you just normally fullhop

i havent been able to waveland out of it but its pretty cool looking and i imagine would work for grabs if you get them onto the platform shielding

do any ganon players intentionally use this? its not something ive heard anyone talk about but i think its something that could be implemented fairly easily

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i was playing ganon recently and noticed that if you fullhop backwards on dreamland you land on those platforms way faster than if you just normally fullhop

i havent been able to waveland out of it but its pretty cool looking and i imagine would work for grabs if you get them onto the platform shielding

do any ganon players intentionally use this? its not something ive heard anyone talk about but i think its something that could be implemented fairly easily
I sometimes double jump onto a platform, read the tech, waveland and re-grab. It works well and then after it's pretty much a free hit once more since tech-chasing on a platform is a joke.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Magus was telling me something a long time ago about wave landing on to platforms backwards is much faster or something along those lines...

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
right kage, but im saying the backflip up there on dreamland is super fast, try it out, you could backflip dash dance grab or backflip downsmash or something, palpi seems to have heard of a backflip waveland but its a smaller window as far as i can tell, i cant get the hang of it

Divinokage

Smash Legend
right kage, but im saying the backflip up there on dreamland is super fast, try it out, you could backflip dash dance grab or backflip downsmash or something, palpi seems to have heard of a backflip waveland but its a smaller window as far as i can tell, i cant get the hang of it
Well when i can I guess I can, i don't have the game =P

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah probably palpi, i like it on dreamland though cause you perfect land up there like normal, but in much less time

kupo15

Smash Hero
Don't forget what I said a while back how backwards jumps also helps you to evade low-mid attacks you otherwise would get hit with a normal jump. I'm also thinking about trying out mindgaming opponents with animations. That backjump looks a lot like uair ;)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
does anyone truly think about move choiced partially based on position on the stage, or do you do it primarily by spacing vs your opponent?

for example, do people think of using bair under platforms as the basis of their spacing, or using bair a certain distance away from their opponent (just out of their range where they can grab you afterward, i'd imagine) as that base?

i feel that something can be gained by getting comfortable by choosing moves based on stage positition, and making sure that your move makes sense given your stage position as well as the opponent, but of course, if you bair under platforms without regard for where your opponent is, you will get torn up.

discuss?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i do that, but not as much for spacing purposes, more so based on potential rewards

near ledges i do moves which, if they hit, are more likely to hit them off the stage, in the middle of the stage i'm a little safer

i guess i do moves based on where platforms are as well, but i wouldnt be able to describe my reasoning for that as well. i know that under platforms, you dont have to worry about stuff like fox fulljump nairing so you can solely focus on his horizontal movement.

i would think less about intentionally bairing under a platform, and more about when you find yourself under a platform, bair differently or feel more comfortable fairing or something along those lines

dont take this as a definitive answer, defensive spacing is probably the worst aspect of my game

spider_sense

Smash Champion
i do that, but not as much for spacing purposes, more so based on potential rewards

near ledges i do moves which, if they hit, are more likely to hit them off the stage, in the middle of the stage i'm a little safer

i guess i do moves based on where platforms are as well, but i wouldnt be able to describe my reasoning for that as well. i know that under platforms, you dont have to worry about stuff like fox fulljump nairing so you can solely focus on his horizontal movement.

i would think less about intentionally bairing under a platform, and more about when you find yourself under a platform, bair differently or feel more comfortable fairing or something along those lines

dont take this as a definitive answer, defensive spacing is probably the worst aspect of my game
I need to MM this scrub ^^^

G. Vice

Smash Lord
does anyone truly think about move choiced partially based on position on the stage, or do you do it primarily by spacing vs your opponent?

for example, do people think of using bair under platforms as the basis of their spacing, or using bair a certain distance away from their opponent (just out of their range where they can grab you afterward, i'd imagine) as that base?

i feel that something can be gained by getting comfortable by choosing moves based on stage positition, and making sure that your move makes sense given your stage position as well as the opponent, but of course, if you bair under platforms without regard for where your opponent is, you will get torn up.

discuss?
This completely lost me. The way I do things is I try to hit them, and I try to not get hit.

If this means I need to BAir then I BAir whether the platform is there or not, and if it can benefit me to use it, I try to use it for something. I guess in a way spacing to me is something that you learn to do (some people do at least) and where to position Ganon subconsciously comes to you the more you play Ganon. You make decisions based off past experiences for what worked, and what didn't. Ultimately, you just try to trick them into doing something that gets your fist in their face. I do not start off a match critiquing and analyzing, with a set predetermined "style." I come out swinging. Swinging intelligently as I know how, but swinging nevertheless.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Careful Spider! That's BigD! He'd cut his mommas throat for a nickel. The reaper is always just a step behind him!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
almost took a match off pp last night...got him down to last stock but then he ***** me...i played him in one set, best of 5. First tw games he owned me so maybe he was mangobagging...idk.

nc has a tourney today. I'll see what I can do about both recording and placing well.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
almost took a match off pp last night...got him down to last stock but then he ***** me...i played him in one set, best of 5. First tw games he owned me so maybe he was mangobagging...idk.

nc has a tourney today. I'll see what I can do about both recording and placing well.
That's good Chris, it means you're making progress. Just adapt and play to learn.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
man spidersense i gotta make it down to florida again someday

you guys were too cool

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
What sort of controllers do you guys use? I mean, do you prefer brand new stiff joysticks or kinda loose?

With a new joystick, I'm able to pivot jab easily, but I think it messes me up with wavelanding somehow. Also, loose L-R triggers versus stiff triggers? With loose triggers, I accidentally light shield a lot, but it's easier to time powershields and wavelands. Tight triggers can make your fingers sore but they don't light shield by mistake.

I can't make up my mind with which control I want to take for Pound! ARGH!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
most people prefer a broken in controller. Personally, i like the brand new controller. I enjoy breaking it in. Give me an hour car ride to the tourney and when we get there it'll be so perfect m2k would use it.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
most people prefer a broken in controller. Personally, i like the brand new controller. I enjoy breaking it in. Give me an hour car ride to the tourney and when we get there it'll be so perfect m2k would use it.
I'm dumb. I just pulled out the oldest control I had and my wavelands were smoother than they have EVER been and pivot jabbing was perfect every time. Also, for some reason I can ledge drop properly with the c-stick which never seemed to work right for me. Why didn't I try this sooner?

On another note, I've incorporated upB out of shield and it's too good.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I'm dumb. I just pulled out the oldest control I had and my wavelands were smoother than they have EVER been and pivot jabbing was perfect every time. Also, for some reason I can ledge drop properly with the c-stick which never seemed to work right for me. Why didn't I try this sooner?

On another note, I've incorporated upB out of shield and it's too good.
I've been using the same stick ever since I started playing smash. It's about as loose as it can get, and has no grip.

Stiff = lame

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You gotta give them the half way though, so you look interested but not desperate. Haven't you ever seen hot tub time machine?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I prefer mines stiff, but these white controllers from Play-Asia are ridiculously stiff. It's going to take me some time to get it to where I have flexibility to do anything I want. Did anybody order a controller from there and have the same problems?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Nope, I kinda like these white controllers honestly.. however I still use the black one I had since Pound 3 and even before. My stick never gets loose, only my R button gets mashed up however I replaced it recently and it works wonders again.

Palpi

Smash Hero
i have a purple controller with a silver front and white back...(it was originally purple....purple plug hahaha) it is pretty old, but i think its control stick is perfect!

Top Bottom