• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Linguini

Smash Master

kupo15

Smash Hero
Dude, you do not want to purposely get hit by a fox nair!!! lol!! CC jab is cool but this should not be your "go to" strat for keeping fox out.
You missed my point. He sounded like he was in the learning phase. Of course I wasn't saying thats the ultimate "go to" strategy but I have seen this strat stated several times by you top ganons as something that really ***** and is underused. The only way one will actually LEARN in the learning phase is to overuse it to an unhealthy extent then dial it back. Otherwise, he will never know the full potential of the strat or like in my case, be timid and never really use the strat which is bad.
And quite frankly, sometimes you have no choice but to get hit with the nair so I would rather learn how to CC it instead of getting stuck in my shielding.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You have to play solid defense vs fox. Retreating sh uair's are great for a quick hitbox right in front of Ganon. They help you maintain space and don't limit your options badly since you can dj afterwards.
Hmmmm, I usually prefer to SHFFL my U-airs as anti-rushdown options. I also usually prefer fullhop D-air if I need an option that I can double jump out of.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hmmmm, I usually prefer to SHFFL my U-airs as anti-rushdown options. I also usually prefer fullhop D-air if I need an option that I can double jump out of.
Fullhop dair to aerial is a good mindgame used sparingly. If you are SHFFL'ing uairs against fox, it better be a late uair or at least not very close to him, or else you will be giving him a free nair approach in many situations.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I did try watching Linguini's matches against Cobol; I'm still not entirely sure when rising SH U-air is most practical. The way I see it, it looks iffy if the Fox is approaching on the ground, although Linguini did get a pretty beast anti-air with it.

But then again, playing against Fox in general is really iffy. Every option you do have to counter anything Fox does I guess helps.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I did try watching Linguini's matches against Cobol; I'm still not entirely sure when rising SH U-air is most practical. The way I see it, it looks iffy if the Fox is approaching on the ground, although Linguini did get a pretty beast anti-air with it.

But then again, playing against Fox in general is really iffy. Every option you do have to counter anything Fox does I guess helps.
Ya in that matchup you definitely have to pick your moves well because you do not want to get caught inside the lag of your moves.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I've found that a well timed/place Upsmash is useful versus fox. If they try and drop a full jump NAir, or even sometimes a shorthop nair, it'll catch them. If it misses, and they try to go for the "lag" after the upsmash, well good for you ganon, there's like none and you can jab like the next frame. I've used it in several instances, and it has a good follow up if it hits. At the least it sets up and in-penetrable wall of feet with no lag afterward. Just an idea.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah usmash doesn't have much cooldown time, I just remember getting punished for it more often than not when playing lozr/pp, so I only use it once in a while as a random mixup :/

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yeah usmash doesn't have much cooldown time, I just remember getting punished for it more often than not when playing lozr/pp, so I only use it once in a while as a random mixup :/
Yeah, I'd agree. It's not a "go to" scenario, but definitely shouldn't be excluded in Ganon's repertoire.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hate how you have to legitimately outplay Fox like for at least 80% of the match in order to beat him (the last 20% is the few times you're grabbing, comboing, and edgeguarding him). If only it was easy to grab him for like 50% of the matchup, then I wouldn't hate this matchup.

But yeah I do love those U-smash shenanigans. Not something you can rely on, especially not against Fox (or Falco for that matter), but it does get me out of a jam here and there.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find Ganon combos to be the most fun against Marth. I mean sure, you don't get a insta-**** chaingrab like you do against Link or Roy for example, but grabbing Marth and hell just hitting him in general still *****.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
as someone's sig said, a marth who knows the match-up can be ganon's worst match-up. down-throw tech chases are annoying

for some reason, i had more trouble against lucky's marth than fox in a tourney

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Random shoutout to all you Ganon mains in here. I've been watching all of you for over a year and you guys are doing great. And between watching RockCrock and Linguini in person, and viewing the rest of you on the youtube videos, I've learned very much about using Ganon. Keep at it, Ganon definitely ***** in melee.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
as someone's sig said, a marth who knows the match-up can be ganon's worst match-up. down-throw tech chases are annoying

for some reason, i had more trouble against lucky's marth than fox in a tourney
this is truth. Not worst, but really annoying. JesiahTEG beat be basically with dashdance, tipped dash attack, and dthrow shenanigans. Hard to appoach on the grund and from above I got fsmashed or utilted.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The BEST way? For combo DI, having a very patient, skilled, and helpful training partner that is willing to do several different types of combos on you repeatedly as you practice different DI.

You will get better at smash DI if you have quick reaction time and thoroughly understand the hitboxes of your opponent's character. You have to know exactly when you will get hit, which has little to do with when your opponent starts the move that hits you. EX: Ganon is recovering low vs Falcon or Samus and they stand at the edge and utilt. It's easy to smash DI too soon because their utilts aren't going to actually hit you until their foot is right at the ledge (at the end of the move; the last frames of hitbox). You have to pay close attention so that your timing is correct. Other examples are SDI on a fox uair, or teching a marth fsmash/shieldbreaker. You just have to get used to the delay and not try to SDI until you're actually hit.

Really though, if you just play a lot of friendlies with people and try extra hard to focus on your DI, it will come eventually.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For survival DI, yes, but you don't want to be doing that at low percents, you're asking to be death combo'd.

DI'ing perpendicular to trajectory will reduce knockback the most, and it usually puts you near the top corner of the screen (the farthest you can be knocked without getting KO'd).

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
i never join large tourneys (only gsg1) mainly due to the lack of transportation =/

plus i am super inconsistent. i was on a roll in the tourney that tec0 went to. but if i was consistent, then i would basically represent the ganons of west coast.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Heh ya that's the issue of every player.. I'm not sure how you can train consistency honestly. I could kick a lot of ***** and then all of a sudden lose to another player with the same skill level. It's tough.. for real.

Edit: I see you Tec0.. =P

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i cringed at the ending where Randall saved him... oh wells

i wonder if i could beat him again =P
And I was at that tourney all hating on Randall and stuff.

I need to be like sup to Randall more often =3.

You, are literally btw. The slipperiest (<- thats actually a word? O_o) ****er I've ever played. I might go to CA for AX again and chill at Rei's. Get some games in there if I do? xD

And to Kage, that match was awesome. I'm not saying that because I won, I wanna say it because I think either of us could have taken the set. Fun times man. I gave up fox though so next time it'll be a LoZ battle >:3

EDIT: Yea Kage, I'm chillin what you gonna do bro =3.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
And I was at that tourney all hating on Randall and stuff.

I need to be like sup to Randall more often =3.

You, are literally btw. The slipperiest (<- thats actually a word? O_o) ****er I've ever played. I might go to CA for AX again and chill at Rei's. Get some games in there if I do? xD

And to Kage, that match was awesome. I'm not saying that because I won, I wanna say it because I think either of us could have taken the set. Fun times man. I gave up fox though so next time it'll be a LoZ battle >:3

EDIT: Yea Kage, I'm chillin what you gonna do bro =3.
I already gave you props, now go away before I chop you in half! *salty*

Top Bottom