• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
I'm more of a fan of s.FL's scene. I was at a Hatebreed show in 2007 and the pits were wild as ****. Got a little lock jawed but I was all over the pits.

I was just talking to Linguini about shows and I thought he was the one who posted this, lol. Pyro you hit up shows much?
Yeah, whenever I can. Its usually local shows though.

Linguini

Smash Master
Tommy i heard you were back in fl, that right?

im actually going to NY today,i could chill with you tommorow or something but i need a #,hit me up
954-647-7971

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Is the ganon CG on sheik is it a 0% to death. Cause I've done Dthrows to around 70-80%ish, and then finish it with an Uthrow to Fair... But does this actually work at higher levels of play or is the sheik player just not DIing?

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Luinguini it says your number doesn't exist.

Kosa I think Sheik can DI out of it if she DI's slighty to the side instead of DIing hard to the sides. I haven't been around a GC to try it out but it's something I've seen. I might be wrong though.

Pyro I haven't hit a local show in a while, especially since I'm in NY. I've been dying to check out the scene here but I really have been lazy in looking for show dates and venue locations. I still have more love for the souf, call me bias but a state that has a gun ban can't ever be as hardcore as the souf. :uzi: :enforcer:

-TipTipper

metashinryu

Smash Ace
how can i counter ganons downb?,it really pisses me off everytime i want to do some **** to my brother and he just(cc) spams that crap(i play captain btw)

spider_sense

Smash Champion
how can i counter ganons downb?,it really pisses me off everytime i want to do some **** to my brother and he just(cc) spams that crap(i play captain btw)
hmm, the best thing I can tell you is too DI away from him. (I.E holding the joystick away from him) Also since you play C. Falcon, you can just up-throw to knee and it'll ALWAYS hit.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
hmm, the best thing I can tell you is too DI away from him. (I.E holding the joystick away from him) Also since you play C. Falcon, you can just up-throw to knee and it'll ALWAYS hit.
If you DI into him during the up throw he can't knee at high %, he has to upair or backfist.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
"quarter circle" wont affect throws
just hold a direction, thats all you need to do
if the throw wasnt di'd you started holding away or wherever you wanted to di to late

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Haha I guess my DI is mad sloppy because tried doing it away, forward, quarter circle DI, holding my controller upside down, and nothing works. :/ How do you DI it?
Just DI towards him. If he faces left, DI right on the joystick, if he faces right, DI left on the joystick. Simple as that.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Just DI towards him. If he faces left, DI right on the joystick, if he faces right, DI left on the joystick. Simple as that.
Do you actually have a consistent way to DI out of Sheik's chain grab or do you just hope she makes a mistake? Cuz you once said you can DI out of it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Do you actually have a consistent way to DI out of Sheik's chain grab or do you just hope she makes a mistake? Cuz you once said you can DI out of it.
Well at 0 you can definitely DI away and tech. But at 10% or more I think you have to DI upwards and hope she doesn't upsmash lol.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Can someone explain to me the difference between slight DI and regular DI? I've heard somewhere that you can slightly move the joystick to one side, and it will have different effects from moving it all the way.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I have been having trouble with Jiggs lately. I can go pretty even against her until she pulls out one of her many rest combos on Ganon (I swear, it sometimes seems half of her moves lead to rest). Anyway, what I have learned so far:

Up-air (and it's many variants)
SH uair/bair to DJ aerial/waveland
Dthrow to uair at like 90-120 kos typically
Try to attack her from weird angles (typically diagonals to avoid massive priority, f-tilt angled up sometimes is good)
Stomp to stomp when she misses a rest and has low damage seems the best damage dealer
Trading fairs/bairs is difficult, but possible (and worthwhile?)

I've gotten alright at spacing, so I can do this stuff for a while and generally maintain a slight lead for the entire match, as long as I don't get cheesed. However, this happens a lot more than I would prefer, and I was wondering if a) Ganon had some means to escape rest combos/DI to make them harder, or barring that, what can I do to avoid rests in general b) faster ways to KO jiggs -- so far i have dthrow --> uair, and random fairs/bairs. This either takes a while or is a bit inconsistent. c) What are your opinions on the matchup in general? Most jigg players I talk to think the matchup is greatly in Jiggs' favor, but a lot of my matches vs jiggs have been close loses/me winning, so I don't think it's quite as bad as that. Regardless, just curious to your take on the matchup.

Thanks in advance.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
You wanna fight Jiggs with your back towards her most of the time. Your reverse uair beats her bair if you're the height in the the air as her or higher. Down throw nair at low percents works on her since she is so floaty, just be careful with all dtrow combos cause she can rest you if you slip.

Tips
Back to back fighting, if Jiggs starts using fairs use the front part of your uair, fair if you feel the spacing will be close.
Whiffed rest get punished with utilt not neutral b. She is floaty so sending her up works best.
Pivots give you a great advantage. This breaks pounds with fsmashes that can lead to kills and ftilts that punish miss spaced aerials.
Jab when in doubt.
Learn to only get phantom hit by rest then teach me.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You wanna fight Jiggs with your back towards her most of the time. Your reverse uair beats her bair if you're the height in the the air as her or higher. Down throw nair at low percents works on her since she is so floaty, just be careful with all dtrow combos cause she can rest you if you slip.

Tips
Back to back fighting, if Jiggs starts using fairs use the front part of your uair, fair if you feel the spacing will be close.
Whiffed rest get punished with utilt not neutral b. She is floaty so sending her up works best.
Pivots give you a great advantage. This breaks pounds with fsmashes that can lead to kills and ftilts that punish miss spaced aerials.
Jab when in doubt.
Learn to only get phantom hit by rest then teach me.
Hm.. I guess you are a Ganon that uses Nair to combo too eh? Sometimes I do Downair, Nair, Fair it's good stuff.. well depending on the char of course. lol.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Linguini (anyone really), I finally got out of pools for the first time at a legit tournament using ganon only. While I was playing the more "seasoned" smashers, I noticed that I got caught up a lot in my shield, and they usually punished me when i tried to wavedash or roll out of it.

Basically, any advice on not getting trapped in your shield? it seems with spacies especially it doesnt matter if i space arials out cause they're too quick (fox) or they shorthop a lazer and are next to me (falco)

I think I have a pretty solid game against spacies and faster characters except when they're up in my grill 24/7

Anyways, just trying to get my ganon on the next level, doing well with him at a tourney has inspired me, THANKS!

MaJiK

Smash Ace
jump a lot and throw up air to scare them
its fast and will make them think twice about just throwing a move to hit you in the air

cause if you just hop and do nothing they'll catch on and punish you
hop backwards when they go on the offensive it'll screw up their spacing and with gannon's spacing it'll give you an advantage
just don't become to predictable

Linguini

Smash Master
Linguini (anyone really), I finally got out of pools for the first time at a legit tournament using ganon only. While I was playing the more "seasoned" smashers, I noticed that I got caught up a lot in my shield, and they usually punished me when i tried to wavedash or roll out of it.

Basically, any advice on not getting trapped in your shield? it seems with spacies especially it doesnt matter if i space arials out cause they're too quick (fox) or they shorthop a lazer and are next to me (falco)

I think I have a pretty solid game against spacies and faster characters except when they're up in my grill 24/7

Anyways, just trying to get my ganon on the next level, doing well with him at a tourney has inspired me, THANKS!
dont forget the cc grab if they hit you out of your shield, or the cc jab(works wonders against fox's nair at low percents).Learn the timing to shieldgrab the shine perfectly.
Since im not the best person to ask bout technical stuff I cant really explain it to you, but i can tell you its a little after the shine hits you.

Against falco's lasers just jab if hes right next to you, if he jumps in with a nair ftilt him, dair,shield it.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Thanks guys, it seems that i just dont have the timing down as well as i could for most options. I'll be working on all this stuff and getting back to you.

When you CC a grab are you JC it also or just hitting z?

SynikaL

Smash Lord
You'll have to JC, since you'll be in crouch, which will necessitate you to move Ganon forward before you can attempt a grab.

-Kye

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So I kept trying to CG Falco from 0-Death but it seems if he DIs backwards, there's no way in hell I can catch him. I tried at least 100 times but it seems not possible. I'm doubting the fact that you can CG Falco now. >_< It's like if he DIs backwards then he already hit the ground before I can grab him again.

Also I know the DI from the Canadians is extremely good so ya...

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
So I kept trying to CG Falco from 0-Death but it seems if he DIs backwards, there's no way in hell I can catch him. I tried at least 100 times but it seems not possible. I'm doubting the fact that you can CG Falco now. >_< It's like if he DIs backwards then he already hit the ground before I can grab him again.

I'm pretty sure if he DI's behind you and you go for the dash grab, you aren't supposed to JC it. It seems to work for me.

Magus420

Smash Master

What percents are you talking about? When Falco DIs behind I generally turn and grab until 60/65 then start JC grabbing. Make sure you smash behind very fast when doing the dash behind to get the lagless turn around into the dash (if you don't press it quickly enough you go through the entire turn animation before starting the dash which is too slow to catch him in time), and jc grab right as the dash starts. The turnaround is most likely why you can't seem to reach them. If not, then you're probably not acting immediately out of the throw's lag. Also, the strongest possible DI on the throw is definitely full horizontal.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What percents are you talking about? When Falco DIs behind I generally turn and grab until 60/65 then start JC grabbing. Make sure you smash behind very fast when doing the dash behind to get the lagless turn around into the dash (if you don't press it quickly enough you go through the entire turn animation before starting the dash which is too slow to catch him in time), and jc grab right as the dash starts. The turnaround is most likely why you can't seem to reach them. If not, then you're probably not acting immediately out of the throw's lag. Also, the strongest possible DI on the throw is definitely full horizontal.
I got it a few times but still not good enough!!!

Zenjamin

Smash Lord

Not possible?
It is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNbCkzRF-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1AUfCgqpmY

Linguini

Smash Master
nah there isnt, i do it perfectly all the time, then u throw around 120's and they always di behind you lol,bair baby!

and im back to maining ganon lol **** all the other chars, wayyyy too boring.
im going to put alot of time into him in these coming months so we'll see what i can come up with.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
hell yea boy i love ganon i wish i had a good ganon

can you really get that CG to work a lot? that magus match is the only time i've seen it in actual play

Divinokage

Smash Legend
nah there isnt, i do it perfectly all the time, then u throw around 120's and they always di behind you lol,bair baby!

and im back to maining ganon lol **** all the other chars, wayyyy too boring.
im going to put alot of time into him in these coming months so we'll see what i can come up with.
Don't get frustrated now, =P

Linguini

Smash Master
hell yea boy i love ganon i wish i had a good ganon

can you really get that CG to work a lot? that magus match is the only time i've seen it in actual play
yeah, alot of my matches vs falco have me doing it around 60% and up

oh and kage i wont, ive got that secret "green" technique to up my power level and lower my frustration level in tourney. :)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It doesn't necessarily up for power level though =P...

But anyways.. it's definitely more fun to do it. I think all Ganon mains counter pick green greens now. =p For me when I do it, my technical level increases x2 lol. I can like waveland perfectly for some reason.. but when im not under the effects, my mindgames are better I believe lol.

Top Bottom