• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Life

Smash Hero
It's all in the mindset IMO. Not that I'd know.

(Why is this tagged Melee? It applies to not only all Smash games, but pretty much the entirety of life's competitions IMO)

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Well, if they're at a professional level, it should be easy to find recent videos, and study their styles. Some are very predictable (Looking at you, Brawl M2K), while some are completely unpredictable (I'm looking at you Mango. I'm not even sure Mango knows what Mango's going to do next). Usually, if you can't seem to find them playing with a consistent style, it's because they are heavy drinkers, and like to play drunk. Buy them a dozen beers before the match, and watch your inevitable victory unfold.

That's how it works, right?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
OP- What it's like to face them differs from skill level to skill level.

if you're at noob level and playing them, it's either going to go one of two ways. One, you're going to get super demotivated and feel like you could never catch up so you will stop playing, or you're going to get really really inspired and want to train.

In terms of how it's actually going to feel like? Well, that's how your mind perceives it. You're not actually going to know what's going on in the match. It's going to be over before you know it, and you won't really catch anything of what they're doing to you. If you have a good mindset you'll be impressed, otherwise it's going to feel annoying

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I honestly wouldn't know what it's like facing m2k and lee martin in tournaments, because I never have. I have played in a few "low-class" local tournaments (that's how I found Smashboards), and if you have good self control, it's not hard. The biggest problem is the pressure. Other then that, just choose a good character, and play well (LEGO!)

At high level play (like championship matches), the only difference between you and your opponent is how you handle the pressure. Skill wise, your just about equal.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
It must be pretty insane playing one of the top pros, i think m2k will be at a local tourney this saturday, and i dont even know if i should enter because of him lol

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
LOL, of course you should enter. Tournament experience is one of the best ways to improve. You think M2k was like, "Oh noes, Azen, P.C. Chris, and Chudat are gonna be at this tournament, maybe I shouldn't enter!" when he was a noob? No way bro.

Anyone can become somebody great. You just have to believe in yourself, and put in the effort.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Just stay calm if you happen to fight any of them, and fight them as you would fight any other player.

BSP

Smash Legend
Don't be thinking, "OH GOD IM PLAYING A PRO!!1!!"

Play like you always would. You lose, figure out why and improve. Don't go in thinking you're going to lose just because said person is good. Not everyone started there.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Remember that shotgun papa gave you when you were 8?
That's how you beat pros.

Pi

Smash Hero
first you have to understand what it takes to win a melee match
you can't just spam tech skill, approach predictably, and put on auto pilot and hope it works, because it won't against good players

The way you win a match is by responding well under pressure (not falling back into old habits)
picking up on patterns of your opponent, and learning when it's going to be safe to approach
picking up on the patterns THEY pick up on, and changing those patterns
not making mistakes, not giving up, and keeping your head in the game and focused on what you need to see in order to win

you need to have a reason behind everything you do
if you shffl a nair at someone, why did you do that? Did you anticipate to catch them off guard because they had gotten comfortable dash dancing? Do they wavedash out of shield alot? Did you think you'd end up behind them?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I always play under the mindset that I am the best player in the room, or i at least try to. If this is referring to mindset, i can vouch for my technique. it helps me escape the pressure and gives me confidence in my exceution, allowing me to just play the smartest game i can. I focus on adapting, making sure that i don't repeat any mistakes, accepting the situations i end up, and avoid getting frustrated.
If the question is about the ability to just beat them, then the answer is to be better than them. :p

-Ran

Smash Master
Threads like this are the same as asking:

"How do I beat an Olympic caliber athlete in _________?"

You aren't going to beat them unless you train to reach their caliber. You are expected to lose. They've put an inordinate amount of time into the game, and unless you're a savant, the outcome is already decided. The only thing you can do is worry about learning from your mistakes, and asking them to give you pointers. If you want to hang with them in terms of skill, you're going to have to put in the time.

Life

Smash Hero
-Ran:

The difference is that Olympics are primarily a physical contest while Smash is primarily a mental one.

Any noob CAN beat M2K--it's just really really difficult to--no noob WILL beat M2K. This is because Smash is a mental game, entirely about decisions. The smasher who makes more correct decisions wins.
The reason noobs are noobs is because they make correct decisions less often.

(correct me if I'm wrong as I don't run) But nobody beats Olympian runners except other Olympians unless they're holding back. This is because running is much more about improving your ability to run faster via training than actual decision-making.

tl;dr Olympic athletes are inherently better due to training and cannot be overcome as you don't have the opportunity to make decisions that could give you the edge. M2K and company are better due to training, but you can still overcome them if your decisions are better than theirs (which is statistically less often, but never impossible)

(I like how my tl;dr was really long)

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
-Ran:

The difference is that Olympics are primarily a physical contest while Smash is primarily a mental one.

Any noob CAN beat M2K--it's just really really difficult to--no noob WILL beat M2K. This is because Smash is a mental game, entirely about decisions. The smasher who makes more correct decisions wins.

(correct me if I'm wrong as I don't run) But nobody beats Olympian runners except other Olympians unless they're holding back. This is because running is much more about improving your ability to run faster via training than actual decision-making.

tl;dr Olympic athletes are inherently better due to training and cannot be overcome as you don't have the opportunity to make decisions that could give you the edge. M2K and company are better due to training, but you can still overcome them if your decisions are better than theirs (which is statistically less often, but never impossible)

totally agree. I never played a tourney before, but i have beaten many many people, and believe i actually have a shot. I play link and when i watch aniki's link, i feel that he makes many of the same decisions i would. I feel my link may be at his level, or maybe a little past it. Im just excited to find out this saturday...

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If everybody quit everytime they saw someone better than them, we'd have really small tourneys.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Actually, Ran is correct. The pros have mental advantages you cannot simply overcome during a random match with them. You better study and train to get to their level if you want to have a chance.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
-Ran:

I disagree. Execution matters just as much as decision making, at least in Melee. No noob will ever / can beat someone like m2k, whether it's due to muscle memory or nerves.

tl;dr Brawl sucks

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I never played a tourney before.
This alone tells me that youre not going to do very well

and believe i actually have a shot..
LOOOOOL dont get your hopes up. really

I play link
LOOOL link is a bad character.

Im just excited to find out this saturday...
youre gonna get *****

@the people who said that smash is just a mental game and its all about decisions: not completely. a person like M2k would never lose to a noob not only because he makes better decisions and stuff... but also because he has hours of play and matchup experience. a n00b wouldnt know that its a terrible idea to go fox vs M2k and NOT ban FD. a n00b wouldnt know that puff can upthrow spacies and rest them if theyre at very low percentages.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You can beat M2k with link. For sure. Just practice.

Beat!

Smash Master
Since melee apparently is about decision-making and mentality only, I'm gonna go and work on my own Perfect Dark video. I mean, knowing that there's no execution skill involved, if I just keep trying, I'll eventually make the right decision!

BS.

:phone:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Since melee apparently is about decision-making and mentality only, I'm gonna go and work on my own Perfect Dark video. I mean, knowing that there's no execution skill involved, if I just keep trying, I'll eventually make the right decision!

BS.

:phone:
Of course when you enter you'll have 0 skill. You must learn, practice, and apply. Then rinse and repeat. Then you'll have some skill.

Learn: Wavedashing
Practice: Wavedash with luigi in training mode/multiplayer for 8 hours xP (Jk about the hours)
Apply: Try wavedashing in a match with a friend. Keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom