• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much do you value the ability to play multiple characters???

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
This has always been a long standing debate/idea/whatever among smashers. When it comes down to it, is the ability to play multiple characters that important???

In terms of tournament success, the sides have changed a bit. Players like Lambchops, Darkrain, Hungrybox, Dr PP, Hax, Lucky, all play one main character in their "most important" matches. Clearly they have a lot of success in that. Many more do the same.

But what about players that play multiple chars in tournament or just for fun? How many smashers just play their main? Players like M2K, Mango, Vanz, Axe, Tec0, even players like Shiz, Zhu, Unknown, Armada, Kels, Tink, use 2econdaries all the time.

It makes sense to use multiple characters to get better matchups, but you also inherit the weaknesses of the other characters as well. On top of that, it can be easier to just use one character over and over to learn it better. It could get boring or frustrating, but it's a deeper relationship with your main. I don't believe in any "metaphorical" connections between a person and their main char. Midwest sensation Big D once told me, "ppl just play whatever character they want and sometimes the matchups don't matter."

Discuss?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
playing multiple characters might not make you win tournaments but it's fun as **** to whip out a something completely different than your mains playstyle. Also I think playing multiple characters makes you a good teacher, because you tend to learn the textbook dos and donts for your secondaries rather than situational match up knowledge, which helps newer players learn the fundamentals.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Knowing how to use multiple characters is a tough feat and would take a lot of brain muscle. @______@ Although its awesome if you need an advantage.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
If a person is able to compete at a high level and also plays several characters at a high level the same as or close to their main, then I find that somewhat impressive. I think it shows a good understanding of the game, dedication and the ability to retain a lot of knowledge, as well as many other things. I try to play several characters myself, but I'm only good with three characters as of right now (Marth, Sheik, and G&W) and a have a handful of secondaries. I'd like to be able to learn to play more of the characters at a high level as I improve, until I'm able to play all of them really really well.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Personally being able to play multiple characters really helps me out in a lot of cases.

It can really limit the number of effective counterpicks your opponent has.

Its also more fun to play other characters personally. Keeps my interest in the game longer. But thats just me personally

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
"You're only as good as your best character" is not true, IMHO.

Regardless of what you do I think it's best to start with one character and get good with that character. If you decide to add another to your roster after that, then sure, whatever.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Lovage- Really, your hands hurt? I'd think with how awesome your tech skill is you wouldn't have that problem. Is that common among technical players?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I main Ness (low tiers FTW), but I can also play Marth and Falcon because I used to main them. It's really best to commit to one character you like using. The time you spend on a secondary can just be spent on your main to make it easier to play whatever MU your using your second for.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i like to have fun when i play melee, so i play any character that will show me a good time

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I don't think my Pikachu would be as good as it is now if I didn't play Falco.
Dude I feel that way about Brawl and Melee! (but not the other way around)

ZAHHFAEWHJHHHUUUUoiuUUUUUUUUUAHHAHAHAUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHhhhhhhhUUUUUUUUUUUTROLLuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUAHSUNGODHHHHHHHHHHHHHuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL IT'S FUNNY CAUSE BRAWL IS LOW TIER TOO

Brawl will definitely improve you in Melee just as much as Melee would improve you in Brawl. Brawl teaches you some amazing spacing and reads

Tres

Smash Rookie
I feel as if this needs some explanation/qualifying before I, myself continue to improve in my game. So I’m just going to put it down in words for my own reassurance. If I've repeated anything that's already been said, I beg your pardon, for I posted this before I finished reading the thread's whole.

------------------------------

I believe that your main is by far your most important character to understand, develop, and succeed with in the long run. Your main is a character you enjoyed playing from the start and have, over time, developed a single-sided relationship with through memories and meticulous training. One of the “side-effects,” if you will, of having a main is that the more you play with that specific character, the higher the peak of your game extends overall; therefore, that specific char.’s value tends to rise in accordance to this. The gap in skill between one’s main and secondaries can further influence the value of their main, depending upon the size of the gap. (This is what I think leads to the use of one specific character over a long period of time in certain individuals.)

Some people are completely OK with just that specific char. Others, however, need to be stimulated by use of other characters as well. Does this mean that the use of various characters proves that you haven’t found your true main? In my opinion, no. I think all it proves is the diversity of ourselves as a community, that people’s opinions on where to spend their time are different.

There are ups and downs to both ends. The time you spend with your main would be completely dependant on how passionate you are about having one--or multiple--high-level secondaries. But really the point isn’t about the ratio of how much time you spend with each, but the amount of time you dedicate to smash overall. For, if you play multiple characters (one main and several secondaries) and others do not, if you play ten times more than them, chances are--assuming your efficiency in the bedroom with the lights off is fairly high--your secondaries might even match up with their mains, skill-wise.

All in all, I think it’s opinionated. Just take into consideration the peak of your skill and how having multiple characters will effect how much time you have to spend playing efficiently, in order to raise it. In thinking about where I stand now (as a scrub), I’m going to do my best to focus on one character so I can raise my peak at a faster rate, for getting myself to a higher level than I am now is of top priority. (Maybe this is why I’ve seen Mango messing around with a lot of characters?)

Stratford

Smash Champion
Dude I feel that way about Brawl and Melee! (but not the other way around)

ZAHHFAEWHJHHHUUUUoiuUUUUUUUUUAHHAHAHAUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHhhhhhhhUUUUUUUUUUUTROLLuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUAHSUNGODHHHHHHHHHHHHHuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL IT'S FUNNY CAUSE BRAWL IS LOW TIER TOO
I lost pretty hard.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think it takes you longer to get as good with multiple characters then it does for someone who masters 1 character...or at least masters 1 at a time.

biggest difference shows up in tough match-ups. for example ppl who has alt falcons vs an use them vs a very good falco/fox/sheik they will likely get *****.

Someone who mains Falcon and has played that match 6000 more times will on average do better. You'll be saying not in falcon's favor my *** usually.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I respect people who dedicate time to getting good with a lot of characters. But I also respect those who are really good at tough matchups (ex: Hax v. Sheik, Dahean v. Sheik, Armada v. Marth) with their main and don't resort to counterpick wars.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
People who main multiple characters impress me with their range of skill. Those who main only one character impress me with their depth of skill.

To elaborate, I can appreciate a player who uses multiple characters at a high level and marvel at their ability to do so, but this kind of player almost never does something specifically with any given character that impresses me, they are just hella good at the game on the whole. And example would be Vanz.

However, players who play one character specifically constantly blow my mind with their specific skill and strategies with said character. Almost no one else in the world can do what they do with their character. Examples are Hax and Armada
Mango and M2k are the only two players who have managed to do both.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I respect people who dedicate time to getting good with a lot of characters. But I also respect those who are really good at tough matchups (ex: Hax v. Sheik, Dahean v. Sheik, Armada v. Marth) with their main and don't resort to counterpick wars.
basically what i like about super 1 characters mains. They get very good at tough match-ups. Almost to the point of breaking the chart and bending it to their will.

you'll never find someone who uses 8 or 9 characters being for 3 years being as good as a player who's taken 3 years to master 1 specific character. They know all the strengths and weaknesses.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I value it highly, I can beat doc with fox, but its sooooo much easier with sheik. same deal with fighting marth, I could do it with fox but Im better off going sheik.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
It's definitely a player preference, I for example don't really have a main. LOL. >_<

It's been a source of good CPs but also I lose faith in characters too easily since I have other options.

mypethuman

Smash Rookie
I think it's pretty important to play different characters. I mean, if you can master one character in every matchup, that's good. But sometimes you need an edge, and a counterpick. That's where playing multiple characters comes in. Additionally, playing multiple characters means you're able to teach others, and it helps you grasp a better understanding of the game over all. Even if it just means surprising a recent opponent with a few new tricks up your sleeve, it can even turn a tournament set around for you.

voorhese

Smash Master
my hands hurt hella bad if i play fox for too long

so thank god for marth and falco lol
i did not expect for ur hands to hurt at all...mine never do and ur even more technical than me, and i think being technical is one of the reasons i dont get tired.

Frozener

Smash Rookie
I don't think that playing multiple characters is essential. However, I will say that losing frequently with a dedicated main can have a bad psychological effect on you. Playing multiple characters is more fun in general and you always have a alternative if you're playing poorly. Also, if you are really struggling with a certain matchup, a counterpick can be really effective (Armada going Y.Link vs. HBox is a good example).

:phone:

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
I think it's pretty important to play different characters. I mean, if you can master one character in every matchup, that's good. But sometimes you need an edge, and a counterpick. That's where playing multiple characters comes in. Additionally, playing multiple characters means you're able to teach others, and it helps you grasp a better understanding of the game over all. Even if it just means surprising a recent opponent with a few new tricks up your sleeve, it can even turn a tournament set around for you.
I find your comments on the importance of counter picking somewhat surprising since I've never seen you play anyone other than sheik at a tourney lol. I do look forward to the debut of your samus though. Back to the topic though I agree with mypethuman that being proficient playing multiple characters can give you a significant advantage. Say you are in a best of 3 match up and you lost the first match by say 2 or 3 stocks. Now either you rely on your sheer experience and mastery of a character and try to adapt your playstyle in a very short time or switch to an alternate character. As the alternate character you immediately level the playing field due to having knowledge of your opponents playstyle while they lack any such info on your fresh character. Aside from character match up advantage I'd say it also offers a certain degree of a psychological advantage.

Regarding teaching people I'd say it is valuable in at least learning to avoid the more basic techniques you may encounter. For example I don't smash regularly with anyone that mains fox yet I've found my friendlies vs mypethuman's fox (a secondary character of his) has helped me in anticipating and avoiding shines etc. My own experience with secondary characters has also helped familiarize myself with likely strategies and the timing and spacing of each move. This obviously isn't that valuable for the more elite who have easier access to a wider variety of smashers but I think it is still important. Anyways there's the two cents of a scrub

Pi

Smash Hero
dangerous to start out playing a lot of chars, can hinder your ability to change your playstyle when you can just change your char

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
It's definitely a player preference, I for example don't really have a main. LOL. >_<

It's been a source of good CPs but also I lose faith in characters too easily since I have other options.
it makes me so sad whenever i see a video that says: Redd: (fox/falco/marth). sometimes i really do think that what 3 said is pretty applicable. i think a lot of times instead of making small adjustments that can make you win the next fight on a cp stage, you switch characters and start the process all over.

as for me: :ganondorf:

that is all.

Top Bottom