• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Kirby fighters do you think we should have?

How many Kirby fighters do you think we should have?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 7 9.9%

Votes: 19 26.8%

Votes: 28 39.4%

Votes: 5 7.0%

Votes: 2 2.8%

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
(If this thread already exists please close it)

This topic recently came up in the Unpopular Opinions thread and I thought about making it's own tread to further discuss it. Assuming there's a 10 fighter cap, what do you think would be an appropriate amount of fighters for the Kirby series given what we already have? This is your own opinion so there is no right or wrong answer, feel free to post what you believe and I'd appreciate at least a small explanation for your roster to help create more discussion (because threads can die easily after all). Please do not criticize or insult someone for their opinions. If you disagree with someone and with to say so please be polite and say something like "I respectfully disagree with you" or along those lines.

And yes, you can vote zero if you want.

I'll start: Given the amount of new releases and content already in Smash, I feel like seven at the moment would be a good upgrade for the series.
  1. Kirby: Duh
  2. King Dedede: He gives Austin Powers a run for his money
  3. Meta Knight: The closest thing we'll ever have to Batman in Smash (other than a Mii)
  4. Bandana Waddle Dee: What, do you not like apple juice? He's more likely to be our first spear user than Krystal or Mipha anyway (come on, GameXPlain)
  5. Marx: Босс все еще может быть бойцом. Plus he's the only "real" villain left (unless you count the weird dream friend canon)
  6. Magolor: Fool me once....also he's surprisingly popular, especially in Japan
  7. Adeline and Ribbon: They combined the two characters in Star Allies, who says they can't work like Rosaluma or Banjo-Kazooie in Smash?
Obviously this could be subject to change if we get a big announcement sometime soon, which isn't impossible.

Anyway, what do you think? What's your fighter cap, and who gets in? Remember, BE RESPECTFUL.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t think any franchise except for Mario and Pokemon should get more than five. That being said, Kirby definitely deserves four, those being the three that are already in plus Bandanna Dee.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would probably say 4 but the fact Fire Emblem has 7 and Kirby and DK doesn't have anywhere near that many characters is totally ridiculous so 8 baby!

1. Kirby
2. Meta Knight
3. King Dedede
4. Bandana Dee
5. Marx
6. Adeline & Ribbon
7. Magolor
8. Pretty much anybody else honestly

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Three is plenty. It's not that big a series. No bigger than the other series in Smash with an equal or fewer number of fighters, certainly. Especially if you include third parties.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Three is plenty. It's not that big a series. No bigger than the other series in Smash with an equal or fewer number of fighters, certainly. Especially if you include third parties.
Well Fire Emblem isn't that big of a series either and it has 7 characters even though half of them are just Echos or semi-clones of Marth.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Kirby's a top ten franchise for Nintendo, has a fair few options for playable characters too AND is connected to the creator of Smash himself.

If I go by the franchises popularity, I'd say five playable characters. Metroid has four now and has half the popularity of Kirby after all.

Personally I'd go for Bandana Waddle Dee and a Kirby semi clone in Gooey, representing both the current 4th/2nd player(depending on the Kirby game) and the original 2nd player of the Kirby franchise as well as Gooey being kind of an Animal Buddy from way back when and a good version of one of the most famed villains of the franchise.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Just the squad. Since whoever took over making the game in Return to Dreamland, they've decided to basically make Bandana Dee the 4th member of the group. Others being the obvious Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight.

Kirby probably wouldn't need more than 4 reps. Even though I think it would be absolutely friggin' rad to play/fight Galacta Knight (especially 'cause I'm a Meta Knight main). I could actually see Galacta Knight being added in before Bandana Dee though because I feel he would get people hyped easier than any other character because he's basically the main event.

Of course there's many other characters I could easily see being added that people would love:
Dark Matter - One of the few recurring villains in the Kirby games. Probably would come in swordsman form, but still use attacks from his other form.
Marx - There's a lot of Superstar love... Also he's a boss in ultimate so that's a thing.
Magolor - Marx 2.0, appears in more games. Though I don't think he's quite as popular.
Daroach - Only been in one game just like Marx, but he's pretty popular. Probably the least likely pick out of all these characters, but dang does his design look nice.
Gooey - I do wonder how many people actually like Gooey but I do see a bunch of people suggesting him. He would be an easy echo of Kirby.
Dark Meta Knight - As much as I would love his awesome mirror moves and such, he'll probably stay an alt skin. Maybe become an echo if we're lucky. Especially since if we're going to have another Knight, it'll probably be Galacta Knight just because Galacta Knight is just so much more important and unique by comparison.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think a Smash 6 could justify two Kirby newcomers, although I expect we'll just get the one. No other Kirby character feels anywhere near as "necessary" as Bandana Dee. Characters like Marx and Dark Matter would be neat, but they're not really big fish in the grander scheme of Nintendo. Bandana Dee is the actual fourth main character of the Kirby series.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Well Fire Emblem isn't that big of a series either and it has 7 characters even though half of them are just Echos or semi-clones of Marth.
I never said FE deserves as many characters as it has. In fact, that it's far overrepresented is a pretty popular opinion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
4 at the most, honestly. Make Adeleine the fourth newcomer. Gooey can easily be an Assist, Marx is basically evil Kirby and Dark Matter is just scheduled for strict boss roles.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I respectifully disagree with you on that. While Kirby might not be Mario or Pokemon it's one of Nintendo's top 10 biggest franchises, with around 40 million total copies sold and a new game almost every year. Kirby outsells Wario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Xenoblade, etc., so I don't think it's fair to say that it's not a big series. And on the topic of third parties, Kirby outsells Mega Man, Byonetta, etc.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I respectifully disagree with you on that. While Kirby might not be Mario or Pokemon it's one of Nintendo's top 10 biggest franchises, with around 40 million total copies sold and a new game almost every year. Kirby outsells Wario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Xenoblade, etc., so I don't think it's fair to say that it's not a big series. And on the topic of third parties, Kirby outsells Mega Man, Byonetta, etc.
It's one of the top 10 along with the other top 10 Nintendo franchises in the game with three or fewer reps.

And I find the Mega Man number very difficult to believe considering how many dozens of (successful) branches and spin-offs the Mega Man media franchise has garnered over its life time. I think it has an absurdly bigger cultural presence than Kirby.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In my Smash Bros. Eternity there's 10 Kirby characters: (I will explain it, btw Eternity is the pretend 6th game after Ultimate.
Veterans
1::ultkirby:
2::ultmetaknight:
3::ultkingdedede:
----------
Newcomers
4: Bandana Dee
5: Keeby (The yellow Kirby, unique move-set instead of clone)
6: Adeleine & Ribbon
7: Prince Fluff
8. Fat Kirby
----------
Echoes
9: Shadow Kirby (Kirby Echo)
10: Galacta Knight (Meta Knight Echo)

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Given Sakurai bias, if we ever get another Kirby rep, it's going to be Marx.
But if it was up to me, I'd say Bandanna Dee and Dark Matter. I really like Adeleine and Gooie, but Bandanna Dee is an essential and consistent member of the Kirby team. And Dark Matter is the most important villain the series has!
A hard decision...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think 5 is the magic number. It'd still have Pokemon, Mario, FE, and Zelda in front of it, but you also couldn't say it was underrepresented since it'd be one of the most-heavily represented franchises on the roster.

To be honest though, BWD is all I really want. Add him and I'd be content with the franchise's reps.

And I find the Mega Man number very difficult to believe considering how many dozens of (successful) branches and spin-offs the Mega Man media franchise has garnered over its life time. I think it has an absurdly bigger cultural presence than Kirby.
Mega Man's popularity took a big hit in the early 2000's, and I don't think he's fully recovered from it. Kirby on the other hand has seemingly stayed popular throughout his life, not really falling into a slump at any point.

I'm can't provide any real evidence for this claim, but between Kirby and Mega Man, I feel like Kirby would be the one most people would recognize. Seems like a lot of people who aren't even interested in video games know who he is. He's quite iconic.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i think we have enough Kirby franchise fighters in Smash, we don't need more tbh

maybe Marx/Magolor/Daroach (1 of them) could be playable as a new character but that's it...

besides this Bandana Dee hype is just so silly... people want him just for the sake of the Kirby franchise getting a new character..just no.. i m not sorry for saying i do not find him interesting enough for Smash compared to Marx/Magolor/Daroach who actually deserve that spot to represent the franchise waaay more

my thoughts on Bandana Dee aren't a great 1 but since this is a kirby thread i will keep it to myself lol

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
i think we have enough Kirby franchise fighters in Smash, we don't need more tbh

maybe Marx/Magolor/Daroach (1 of them) could be playable as a new character but that's it...

besides this Bandana Dee hype is just so silly... people want him just for the sake of the Kirby franchise getting a new character..just no.. i m not sorry for saying i do not find him interesting enough for Smash compared to Marx/Magolor/Daroach who actually deserve that spot to represent the franchise waaay more

my thoughts on Bandana Dee aren't a great 1 but since this is a kirby thread i will keep it to myself lol
If I had to take a guess, I'd say a majority of BWD's fans want him because he's one of the last major recurring characters not already on the roster. He's been playable in multiple games, and RtD/Star Allies gave us an idea of how a full moveset for him would look (He'd also be our first spear fighter).

There's certainly some appeal to him. I don't think people are requesting him just for the sake of getting a Kirby character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think 5's a reasonable number. The newcomers I was thinking:

-Bandana Dee: RtD/Star Allies shows his moveset potential, and he's always had some role to play ever since the former.

-Adeleine and Ribbon: Two major characters from Kirby 64, both of which were made into one character in Star Allies with plenty of moveset potential.

Basically, you can thank Star Allies for giving Kirby characters bigger moveset potential.

StormC

Smash Hero
How would you argue "deserve?" If we're talking importance, Bandana Dee has more recurring roles than any of those characters and has been a constant fixture of the series in the last decade. He's the fourth main Kirby character nowadays and personally, the idea of a small character with a disjointed ranged weapon like a spear sounds like it would be fun. He's cute and the Waddle Dee is an iconic design. It's disingenuous to say people are just supporting him for the sake of having another Kirby character.

People get hung up on Bandana Dee's design. It's a very surface level critique. If he was a cat named Fabio but everything else was the same, nobody would be pulling up these kinds of arguments.

Kirby is very popular with kids, especially in Japan. Mega Man's fanbase under 20 years old basically doesn't exist. Only three Mega Man games have broken a million units - Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man X. Basically every mainline Kirby title has done that and then some.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Only three Mega Man games have broken a million units - Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man X. Basically every mainline Kirby title has done that and then some.
My point was that there are twenty times as many Mega Man games.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choice is around 5 to 6

Being: Kirby, Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight (Echo-Fighter), King Dedede, Adeleine (hoping she gets in the Fighter's Pass) and Bandanna Dee (due to being easy to make)

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
And Kirby has sold more units overall despite less games. It shows which series is more popular and iconic.
I don't think you have those numbers. But if you do, I welcome them. I can't even count the number of Mega Man games, much less total their sales.

I think they're very comparable. Kirby has three fighters, Mega has one. Heck, Sonic only has one fighter. If we include third parties, there are higher priorities than Kirb, is all I was saying. If we don't include third parties, then in my personal opinion every Nintendo franchise is adequately and appropriately represented for its size, and if anything some could be reduced. We had this same conversation in a Donkey Kong thread not too long ago because DK fans thought their baby was more special than all the others.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sounds comparable to me.
Forgot to mention this also but Capcom's website lists that there are 152 Mega Man games. That seems like a staggering amount and I'm not sure how they count that, but going off of this, there are 35 Kirby games. I would argue Mega Man is more prolific but just on pound to pound, Kirby games are more popular.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As a Bandana Dee fan I can certainly clarify that the support around him comes largely from him taking the reins of the "p2" role of Kirby in recent games. While he may not be as old or as consistent as say Luigi or Diddy Kong, he has certainly made a name for himself since his starring role in Return to Dream Land.

It's less of him being the flagship candidate for a fourth Kirby character--any character from the series as a newcomer would be hype since it's about time they expanded on the roster.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Six sounds reasonable to me. The three we already have plus Bandana Dee, Marx or Magalor, and Galacta Knight as a Meta echo.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Voted 5, but would love 6

Those new 3 ideally being Bandana Dee, Dark Matter and Daroach.

Daroach needs more love

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'd go with 5. Bandana Waddle Dee is pretty obvious, and it'd be nice to get more cute and cartoony melee weapon wielders in Smash. Aside from him, there really aren't that many recurring Kirby characters that could fit the mold, but I'll take the Sheik route and add a popular one-off for Kirby Character #5, like Adeline. I love Kirby 64, it's my favorite and I think an artist fighter who brings drawings to life would be really fun in Smash.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I think five is a solid number. Bandana Dee would probably be one of them, and the other could really go to whoever.
Honestly tho, I don’t really care as long as the characters are cool and fun. Kirby could have 7 reps and as long as they were fun and unique characters I wouldn’t mind.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think five is a solid number. Bandana Dee would probably be one of them, and the other could really go to whoever.
Honestly tho, I don’t really care as long as the characters are cool and fun. Kirby could have 7 reps and as long as they were fun and unique characters I wouldn’t mind.
Let's be real, they should just add all the Dream Friends as playable characters, they've already proven they would be all be fun and unique.

And also add all the characters from Hyrule Warriors.

Also why does your profile picture have an alligator dressed up as a crocodile?

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Let's be real, they should just add all the Dream Friends as playable characters, they've already proven they would be all be fun and unique.

I mean sure, why not
Obviously I’m gonna have a limit, it’d be wack to have Kirby have 10 characters unless we reach the point where the roster is like 200 characters, but realistically that probably won’t happen

As for my profile pic, it’s because they’re the same animal /s
Nah fr tho, it’s just cuz it’s funny

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

That would be....really over the top, but I'd be down.

Let's see, that would be....11 new fighters, one of which presumably functions like Rosaluma and another like PT. That would, considering the average amount of newcomers per game to be around 18, leave room for most likely between 5 to 9 newcomers (assuming they're all Smash 6 newcomers).

Unless we're talking about a Smash where the devs go all out and add whoever they want, which sounds awesome too.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think they should release a Kirby Fighters 2. The first one was okay, but it wasn't balanced enough.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think it's fine as is, but I'm more focused with the idea of having characters who already represent the series. To illustrate, I think Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are all we need from the Mario series. Or Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. The stories center around these characters. Kirby is the face of his own series. King Dedede was the main villain, but he's grown soft. It's the same with Meta Knight as well.

Not every character who appears needs to be added. In doing so, a huge roster could be made, even if there are people who aren't aware of how many characters can be introduced from a series they're not familiar with. If I wanted more Metroid characters, for example, I could request the original Kraid (he's smaller), Space Pirate, Chozo Warrior, Omega Metroid, Sylux, the Hunters from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgs, &c.

That's just my take, though. People can want characters like Gooey, Marx, Waddle Dee, &c., but they could also be assist trophies or a boss. Gooey would be cool, though. If another Kirby character was added, I'd want Gooey. I remember playing as him back on the SNES, and his more recent appearance is cool, too. So, if I had to give my opinion, I'd say four total.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It definitely needs a fourth. A fifth would be justified IMO, but there's no push to add anyone else after Dee.
You're right... But it still isn't fair that Fire Emblem has 7 characters. That's more fighters than DK and Kirby combined at the moment. Hell, it even has more characters than Zelda.

Last edited:

PK_Fire_94

Smash Rookie
I don’t think any franchise except for Mario and Pokemon should get more than five. That being said, Kirby definitely deserves four, those being the three that are already in plus Bandanna Dee.
(If this thread already exists please close it)

This topic recently came up in the Unpopular Opinions thread and I thought about making it's own tread to further discuss it. Assuming there's a 10 fighter cap, what do you think would be an appropriate amount of fighters for the Kirby series given what we already have? This is your own opinion so there is no right or wrong answer, feel free to post what you believe and I'd appreciate at least a small explanation for your roster to help create more discussion (because threads can die easily after all). Please do not criticize or insult someone for their opinions. If you disagree with someone and with to say so please be polite and say something like "I respectfully disagree with you" or along those lines.

And yes, you can vote zero if you want.

I'll start: Given the amount of new releases and content already in Smash, I feel like seven at the moment would be a good upgrade for the series.
  1. Kirby: Duh
  2. King Dedede: He gives Austin Powers a run for his money
  3. Meta Knight: The closest thing we'll ever have to Batman in Smash (other than a Mii)
  4. Bandana Waddle Dee: What, do you not like apple juice? He's more likely to be our first spear user than Krystal or Mipha anyway (come on, GameXPlain)
  5. Marx: Босс все еще может быть бойцом. Plus he's the only "real" villain left (unless you count the weird dream friend canon)
  6. Magolor: Fool me once....also he's surprisingly popular, especially in Japan
  7. Adeline and Ribbon: They combined the two characters in Star Allies, who says they can't work like Rosaluma or Banjo-Kazooie in Smash?
Obviously this could be subject to change if we get a big announcement sometime soon, which isn't impossible.

Anyway, what do you think? What's your fighter cap, and who gets in? Remember, BE RESPECTFUL.

Top Bottom