• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
So we all know that Melee is an amazing game, possibly the best game in existence (props to n64 smash and **** brawl) but seriously, its been 8 years and onto the 9th......how much longer, and what is the potential overall

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
If the community doesn't completely outgrow playing videogames as a whole, I think Melee can last for as long as everyone wants it to. Melee got virtually no sponsorship support in 2009, and yet it managed to produce seven 100+ entrant tourneys.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
People still play street fighter games which are ancient despite new interations of the game like every 2 years.

as long as people enjoy playing it it will live forever.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
If SSB4 turns out to be like Brawl, Melee should still be alive :)

Vts

Smash Champion
If the community doesn't completely outgrow playing videogames as a whole, I think Melee can last for as long as everyone wants it to. Melee got virtually no sponsorship support in 2009, and yet it managed to produce seven 100+ entrant tourneys.
Sponsorships aren't going to happen unless you start having multiple games at and event even though 100+ is a lot its still not enough to grab companies attention but melee is having a strong comeback so might be able to talk a hotel line into doing 4-5 events over the year in different places and top 10 could get free pass to next one or something.

idk u really have to talk to companies to see whats going on.

but i think if we really had someone who knew a lot of people or has good amount of time he could set this stuff up and keep melee alive for about 5-10 years if the community stays around 100+ for every major tournament.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I was playing Melee long before I knew there was a competitive community, and I will continue to play long after it dies. So what is your question exactly? How long will we have tournaments, forums and prize money? or How long will people be playing it?

I can't speak for everybody, but I think this game will never die for the people who truly care about it. I am a gamer, but I am not impressed by flashy graphics and gimmicks. When I sit down and play a game I am looking for depth. I am looking for something that is fun, but I am looking for a challenge as well. There a very few games that have this quality, especially these days.

Well, SSB Melee is one hell of a quality game. The very first time I played it, I fell in love. All I can remember was watching all the other kids play for so long before someone finally handing me a controller. He had been playing as Captain Falcon, and I just left it. The game started and I was instantly transported... It was like nothing I had ever played! So much going on, so many moves to use, the fact that you could live for so long and take so much abuse... Oh man, it was ecstasy. Of course I discovered Falcon Punch rather quickly and people started to fear my wrath. FALCON PAWNCH! I was on top of the world, never had I had so much fun.

Honestly, Melee was the only reason I bought a Gamecube. And it is the only reason I haven't sold it yet. None of my friends played Melee a year ago. But every time we would hang out I would bring my cube and a couple games, but eventually we would only end up playing one. And now all of them have gone out and bought it. Some of them even had to buy cubes as well.

I played Brawl for a little bit, I didn't like it as much. But I played it exclusively for a few months convincing myself that it was better. It wasn't. One day I randomly decided to pop in Melee... and there I was again, a little kid just playing a game with some people. But it was so much more! We were into it! Kids screaming in the background, rooting for the underdog, yelling for us to use a certain move. It was pandemonium. Every time I would swoop in for a kill I would feel this great, triumphant feeling. Often times my opponent would let out a gasp of horror, and look over at me with steely revenge in his eyes. There is nothing like it in the world.

So where am I going with this? Well, I have a feeling there are more than a few people out there who feel the way I do about Melee. I will play this game for as long as my fingers move. I want to master it, I want to know everything there is to know about it, and I want others to feel the way I do. There is just something universal about it, you know? And I think that is the real reason we go to tournaments, to share our love of the game with others. At the end of the day that's what it's all about, just sitting down in front of a TV with a controller in your hand and having a blast.

Long live Super Smash Bros. Melee

D

Deleted member

let's not start sucking each others' ***** just yet. ssb64 is an extremely isolated community and they also have the gift of online play. they are not a good example.

as an open game with a competitive and changing fan base, 1-2 years IMO. As a die hard game, indefinitely, but who cares since any game can have a handful of players left.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Let's see. I remember when I was little, I played Melee when it first came out. I knew nothing of any competitive scene, mainly because I was 8, but still... I rmemeber, when I was 11, and my brother told me there were tournaments going on for this game, and I was still playing Melee. I honestly didn't think anyone but me was playing this game on the entire planet. XD so I said:

"Whoa, really?! But this game is kinda old now!"

No matter to that, I still loved it. I boastfully said: "Ha, I bet I could win one of those tournament thingies!" while constantly using the cape as Mario. I a big ego for someone who couldn't fluently press the L or R button. no R 4 U: Ahh, I remember when I use dot get you as a superlative all the time. I constantly played Melee, even entering into '06, of course, I still knew nothing of the competitive scene, and heck, I probably didn't get better, but I loved Melee, and I played it day in, and day out. I didn't like to go outside, and I wasn't good at being social, and stuff, on top of that, I wans't in the best neighborhood either, so I relied on Melee to entertain me, and it delivered well.

I remember the tournies I would play against Level 4 computers when I was younger, mashing on the "B" button, and using Mario's Bthrow to kill. It was fun, even having no clue how bad I was. Haha, yes, Melee was and still is a good friend to me.

In 2008, I remember I hadn't played Melee in a couple months, and someone introduced me to Brawl, and I was like. "Whoa, I heard about this game on the internet for like the past 3 years or so" So I played it, and I'm like... Wow, I suck. I was playing against a few people who were actually tournament level, I didn't have a Wii, or Brawl, so I'm thinking "I'll do the next best thing!" I scooped up my Cube from my brother's house, and got my copy of Melee, and I played to get better, foolishly the training was for Brawl. In late 2008 around winter, I was playing Melee in the morning, realized I was late for school, and said. "Eh, I sorta didn't feel like going anyway" so I went to the library.

I heard about this Mew2King fellow through the grapevine, but keep in mind my mindset was on Brawl at the time, the first match I watched was Mew2King vs Nasty. I went on to watch a few more, and then somehow, some Melee doubles vids were in the relative section. So I'm thinking, "Cool, I'll check these out." The set was: SS/Tang vs Zhu/Lucky. I watched the first match, and then saw in the related section:

"WOMBO COMBO!!!!"

I'm like "What the heck could this be?" So I click on it, and BAM, I see a spectacle of the Melee Universe so great that I watched at least 20 times. That was when I realized. "Man, this game is WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Brawl."

I soon showed all my smash friends, for the next few weeks we're all yelling out

"HAPPY FEET!"

"WOMBO COMBO!"

And we found ourselves playing Melee for the next few months or so, mainly because nobody had a copy of Brawl to try to corrupt our thinking. In about, April '09, someone obtained a copy of Brawl, strangly enough, I found myself sorta missing it. I played, and sucked, and said: "I really don't like this game as much as Melee" Regardless of that, I played Brawl for a little bit, but soon found myself sick of it.

I started watching more Melee vids, and saw how fast everybody was moving. I was a n00btard, and a tourney*** mixed, and never wanted to play on Special Melee anymore. I thought that they were playing on Lightning Melee, oh how uneducated I was. I didn't want the fact to sprout in my friend's minds "Oh, to be good, we have to play on Lightning Melee" because I dreaded Lightning Melee the most of any Special Melee. I soon learned that they were moving so fast because they knew how to Wavedash, and they knew all the ATs, in particular L Cancelling was the one that had me the most interested.

In late May- Early June of last year, I decided to take up learning Advanced Techniques. I learned to Wavedash in about 3 days, and got my bigheaded syndrome again. Thinking: "Oh, I am so gonna **** Genesis" Sadly, my mom woudn't let me go get destroyed. I watched the Advanced How to Play, and went to my first tournament in September... and still got *****. But that only made me more determined to get better. In my second tournament, which was in October, I got ***** less, beat players who were two-stocking me before, and found myself feeling better than ever. I started going to Smashfests afterward, and winning Tournies with brakcets as big as 18-Men. In my Most recent tourney, which was Friday, I won a tournament with a 30+ Bracket, and well, I'm loving Melee the most I have in all my 8 years.

The point is, frankly, even in total ignorance to how good others were, and how bad I was, the game Super Smash Bros. Melee, was, is, and will always be fun. As long as there are things to learn, money to win, people to prove yourself to, Melee will live on. There will always be someone, with a will to get better, much like myself, who will take up ATs, go to tournaments, but also know when to pop on a bob-omb or Starman when they want.

As long as there are people who want to have fun blowing people up with exploding crates, or waveshining the next guy into submission, as long as there are those who want to have fun, Melee will live on!

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
Bay Area, CA (PM me if you are nearby and see if w
In 2008, I remember I hadn't played Melee in a couple months, and someone introduced me to Brawl, and I was like. "Whoa, I heard about this game on the internet for like the past 3 years or so" So I played it...I scooped up my Cube from my brother's house, and got my copy of Melee, and I played to get better, foolishly the training was for Brawl.

I heard about this Mew2King fellow...!
this is exactly what happened to me!! I hadn't played Melee in like a year or so(I got frustrated at event matches or level 9s and threw my controller at the TV >_>, breaking it..at least it was a madcatz), and then my friends were really excited about Brawl, to which I hadn't paid any special attention.

Brawl was finally released, and I got to play it at a friend's house with 3 other people (some of whom were connected by wi-fi). I realized that I was not as good as I had wanted to be. I wanted to practice, but without a Wii, I only had one option: Melee with my Gamecube.

My favorite character had been Marth for a few years, and since he's a part of the Brawl and Melee cast, I practiced with him against computers. Eventually I learned to abuse counter, and I think my forward-smash spacing became good through lots of playing (unfortunately, Marth's sword is shorter in Brawl!!). I began performing much better, even though I was just being a counter noob (which my friends learned to do lololol).

Even with my improved performance, I felt I was lacking something. I don't really remember feeling this way, but I know that I must have been missing something as I consulted Youtube searching for help. At first I watched videos of Marth in Brawl, which quickly became boring, most likely due to the shallow and campy gameplay. Somehow I came across videos of Ken (instead of Mew2King haha) and was completely inspired. At that point I had probably vowed to myself to become as skilled as him in Melee. I learned about ATs and began to train with them. Wavedashing was no issue, but L-cancelling took a lot more work, and I still to this day am perfecting my consistency.

I have never attended a tournament, though many have been close to me. I have attended two smashfests; both of which were 60 miles away. I was not a player who stood out, but playing with more experienced smashers taught me indefinitely. I constantly try to train with the mindset of executing an idea or technique with the pressure of playing a human. My main, if anyone, is Falco, and being a person who does not get to play with others too often, I try to focus on technical feats when training by myself. I am nowhere near as technical as the average professional Falco, but I find so much enjoyment in just playing the game in as much of its depth as I can.

From time to time I'll find myself even playing through 1-player mode, despite the hindrance of a useless C-stick. Playing the game for exactly what it is...that's what I do. I love this game like I've loved no other games. Sure, I love some other games equally to it, but not for the same reasons; not at all. The fact of the matter is that until I move onto the responsibilities of an adult and/or can no longer purchase a gamecube, controller, memory card, and/or a copy of Melee, I will always be playing it.
(sorry for yet another wall-of-text post ^^; )

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee will last longer than brawl and ssb it's that simple. I've seen people that the game is older than playing it with there brother even if they have brawl. One of my sister's friends got melee of their brithday. Really if you have heard of melee you love it.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Considering 2010 is starting of with the biggest melee tournament in history, I'd say long enough until ALL teenage melee players turn like 30 lol.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
SO at least 14 more years sweet, really I think the only thing that could stop melee is the lack of good controllers, but I bet people will start makeing their own lol melee is worth it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
how are people saying it's on its way out when we just busted the attendance record of all time? and by 60 people!

i see more and more new faces at smashfests and tournaments in my area, melee still has a loooong way to go

only unsuccessful and bitter people would say otherwise

apathyatlarge

Smash Cadet
Bay Area, CA (PM me if you are nearby and see if w
how are people saying it's on its way out when we just busted the attendance record of all time? and by 60 people!

i see more and more new faces at smashfests and tournaments in my area, melee still has a loooong way to go

only unsuccessful and bitter people would say otherwise
Melee will edge-cancel its way into the future. Berserker!!

rhan

Smash Hero
That's like asking how long the Sun will last until it bruns out and explodes into a blackhole.

All you can do is say it will burn out when it does but it's predicted no time soon.

brg

Smash Ace
I think the most important aspect is that current players should make an effort to introduce new players to the community.

Even if they are noobs, or good casual smashers, getting those people to LOVE melee, and introducing them to the advanced aspects of the game is what really counts. For instance my brother is 13 and he loves the game. I showed him how to play when he was about 11, and I think hes as good as a 13 year old could be, and within a few years should kick ***.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I think the most important aspect is that current players should make an effort to introduce new players to the community.

Even if they are noobs, or good casual smashers, getting those people to LOVE melee, and introducing them to the advanced aspects of the game is what really counts. For instance my brother is 13 and he loves the game. I showed him how to play when he was about 11, and I think hes as good as a 13 year old could be, and within a few years should kick ***.
you are insightful and I do indeed agree with you...its kinda like school...we go to school to be the future, and we need newer smashers that are quite likely to have more potential than any of the legends (isai, Ken, M2K, Shiz, Azen. etc) but the problem is many good pros are quite cocky and do in fact disencourage newer players and constantly put them down when they are good.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Awesome post Blue Peachy.

I agree with Umbreon. Maybe one or two more good/decent years and then it's gonna be a hardcore game where the community just gets old and play is sporadic nostalgia fests between old men. Communities CAN live like this though, if the stakes start getting higher.

X1-12

Smash Champion
you are insightful and I do indeed agree with you...its kinda like school...we go to school to be the future, and we need newer smashers that are quite likely to have more potential than any of the legends (isai, Ken, M2K, Shiz, Azen. etc) but the problem is many good pros are quite cocky and do in fact disencourage newer players and constantly put them down when they are good.
Summary:

even if you're good, don't be a ****

Charlesz

Smash Champion
I'd say 2-3 more years . But if theres a new generation of melee smashers, then maybe even longer.

Spife

Smash Master
Yo I don't know about all yall, but I'ma keep playing this game for like, another 10-20 years. I look on to the players in the NE who've been playing for 3-5 years and I'm like "man I wish I started when some one told me about l-canceling" but I didn't so now all I can do is play for ever and hope new blood shows up under me :bee:

Or at least till I have like, grand children, I'ma make them cry :bee:

Top Bottom