• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Captain Falcon the worst character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roager

Smash Ace
I might do that onve my internet gets back up.
Also, u dont need a camera.
Just put it on SD card and put it in my computer.
After my C Falcon Combo video,of course
Uh... no... I wish you could just take the file off the sd card, but Brawl Replays work kinda like Halo replays. Not actually as a video, just data that lets the engine recreate the match. That's why names don't show in replays, and you can pause, and change camera, and all that good stuff. Unless I'm entirely ********, it means there is no video file, so your idea doesn't work. (I'm not entirely ******** here, right? This happens, yeah?)

Also, this Falcon alt chaingrab thingy. It shall henceforth be known as the Firegrab. (lol i dunno, but it's something.)

Roager

Smash Ace
What do you guys think i should name my combo?
Here it is
Do a knee while they are on ground
Dash attack
Up smash
FALCOOON PAWNCH
This only works on low damage percentiles because it normally ends up KO'ing them.
Characters to use it against:DK,TBT(to be tested)
Damage in end:75%(WHOO...)
Also, couple questions on this here. for the Knee, are we talkin flub/trip, or full on JUSTICE? And more specific damages, when you can (and characters of course)

If this is inescapable for DK, it's one more* step toward Falcon being a DK counter, which is a tier jump. I think...

*I say one MORE because I see Falcon as a DK counter anyway. Not suberb, but the aerial **** dished out is pretty impressive.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Uh... alternating chaingrab.... Works because of confusing their DI? Works because it gets less diminishing returns than just 1 grab? Uh.... Video needed.

And I don't see how Falcon Punch could ever combo from USmash.

Roager

Smash Ace
One small bit of information, for those who care, about Falcon's nair. I know it's popular to land the first hit of it, then hit the ground, so you can lead into the jab. But! I've found that a better (for me, anyway) does indeed exist. Instead of landing the first hit, land the second. It actually has some knockback to it, and if you're against somebody with a predictable/gimpable recovery (snake, DK, etc.) it's a pretty good setup for, depending on the opponent, a uair, knee, grab, stomp, or whatever else you wanna try to throw in there.

*Bestagainst snake, I think. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like with snake, the nair always hits them the perfect angle for me to grab them out of cypher. (for those who don't know, grabbing snake out of cypher is a kill. Just grab him, and wait. No pummel, no throw. Let him break out. Once he does, he has no up B. his only choice, if he can pull it off, is to c4 himself for his jump back.)

Roager

Smash Ace
Uh... alternating chaingrab.... Works because of confusing their DI? Works because it gets less diminishing returns than just 1 grab? Uh.... Video needed.

I'm kinda skeptical too, but he said low damages only, I'm guessing it relies on the hitstun of the usmash, and the landing lag, allowing for the PUNCH. Maybe Fsmash or Dsmash would work better. But without a vid, it's tough to tell.

--holy ****, i just posted four times...--

sniperfire

Smash Cadet
Behind you...with a Machine Gun.....and a Bomb.

The thing is, when they're(DK) falling from the u smash, you have time to punch them before they can return to normal

sniperfire

Smash Cadet
Behind you...with a Machine Gun.....and a Bomb.
funny how useful information about CF sprouts from a thread about how bad he is lol. at least the CF boards are still lively. >.>
I dont plan on putting up a thread anytime soon there because all the falcon hatewrs are waiting for the right thread to pounce on. I swear once i made a forum up there it got locked in 5 minutes lol

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I dont plan on putting up a thread anytime soon there because all the falcon hatewrs are waiting for the right thread to pounce on. I swear once i made a forum up there it got locked in 5 minutes lol
really? well thats kinda sad.

@Roager
lol
10quadpost

on JP Nair. yes, Uair can go through it from below as long as its spaced even somewhat b/c the hit box is bigger than JP's nair hitbox. but if for some strage reason if your doing it from too close i have been able to outpriorerize it. (think my bad CF player friends loling when i pick JP.)

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say that Falcon is a very challenging character to use, but I believe he's not bad at all. It just takes to time to be familiar with Falcon's techniques and timing etc. see for yourself, this takes me back when I first decided falcon as my main. I was so bad at planning how I will recover (this was back in the melee days), I got spiked so many times by my mates, but now that I have figured out how to counter that with raptor boost. It changes there, they eat their own dust. when you really elaborate on this, it is just like every character and falcon just needs a bit of work to get going. I hope you understand me, you can't just stick to one move with Falcon to be a good player with him. He's got a ton of options when you switch and follow up moves e.g a combination of 3 B moves in a row would be raptor boost from the ground, then upB and then Falcon kick once the opponent when they land on the ground. I don't know if this works in brawl, but it works like a charm in melee, and there is no doubt that Captain Falcon will be DI dependent on these kind of movements.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the fact is, Falcon just isn't safe. Most of his attacks are monsterouly punishable and they lack the payout to make their risk worth the reward most of the time. And even if it WERE worth the reward more often, he has AWFUL priority and terrible broadcasting that mean that you'd need the grace of God to be with you to reliably connect using him.

throw on to that the fact that he's very easy to combo against and that his recovery is subpar (not as bad as link's, but bad none-the-less) and you have a character that's got a rough uphill battle ahead.

his awful priority means that his approach game is lacking. However, he lacks a single attack that would allow him to force an approach from an enemy. He also lacks a single antiprojectile attack. As powerful as his attacks look, they can be cancelled out by darn near anything. And don't forget that the change in hitstun mechanics CRIPPLED falcon even if he hadn't been nerfed individually intentionally.

due to his utter lack of a reliable defensive or offensive game, he lacks a single good matchup and sports some absolutely terrible ones. My zelda/shiek laughs at captain falcons who aren't at least a head and shoulders above me. It's a perfect example of all that's wrong with falcon. Both Zelda AND shiek have an easier time approaching falcon than he does them AND they also have an easier time playing defensively, waiting for him to approach. They also both have better recoveries, better kill options and better damage wracking options.

Smash Apprentice
He's fast....at running. I believe he does have quicker attacks but fast? By no means.

The knee. It's good. It's not nearly one of the best Fairs out there, but d@mn it sure is fun to watch.

Kill moves. Yes, but so does almost every other character. Woohoo?

He can recover. PFF! His ^B is pathetic at best.

His priority. Not flat zero but d@mn close.

His hitboxes. >B is so obvious and so easily dodged. Don't even go there.

You are right his range and his aerials are terrible.

I have learned about him. I used to play him in SSBM and tried him in SSBB. I used to **** with him. Now he is terrible. Nuff said.

Falcon does have bad match ups way more than every other character. (Except those as terrible as he is)

You may have learned to beat Snake with Falcon but, who was the snake player(s)?

I don't agree with tier lists but they were right when putting Falcon that low.

No human is all knowing yes. But I think a bunch of pros on a game can wrap their minds about who is the best and worst on said game.

I am not all knowing about Falcon but no one is. So....yea.

Maybe the Falcon players I play are just terrible but I doubt they all are.

No priority, no hitstun, no range. You have just named 3 main things that are desirable in making a top character.

*This was all in response to roager's post BTW*

.CMW.
Dude can you please don't post with blue font anymore ;(((

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
This is funny, cause I just fought a CF mainer that went to a tournament in Naples the other night. When I fought him, he definitely showed me some stuff that I didn't know CF had, like the Raptor Boost Spike. >_>

Yeah, I still beat the crap out of his CF after that, but he definitely showed me that CF has some potential out there that's untapped. Remember, in Melee, Marth was crap before Ken came, and Captain Falcon was crap until the Epic Knee was discovered.

This is the sole reason why I will never say any character is horrible, because it's too soon to say that. I'd also like to say kudos to all the CF mainers here for enduring this "He's the worst character" stuff. I can tell that in the future he'll come back to his former glory.
At least I would hope so... Not top but anything above dead bottom is fine with me.

Roager

Smash Ace
fine... but find me a charcter who's worse.
Link and Ganny, IMO. Yes, Link can projectile spam, but still. I hate the new Link. Melee link was actually pretty good. I loved being able to gimp somebody with an arrow. It just doesn't happen anymore. It's sad...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Link and Ganny, IMO. Yes, Link can projectile spam, but still. I hate the new Link. Melee link was actually pretty good. I loved being able to gimp somebody with an arrow. It just doesn't happen anymore. It's sad...
link is only as low as he is becuase of his awful recovery. his projectile spam is ridiculous especially in that hands of a professional and his priority/range is pretty substantial which actually gives link a defensive game worth mentioning. besides speed and recovery, link>>>Captain Falcon. Also, link has better matchups than falcon.

ganny has essentially the same problems as falcon excpet, when he does hit, MAN does he hit.

punked_25

Smash Cadet
This thread has inspired me to take Falcon under my wing. I want to see what I can do with him.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Sonic, stop bashing the Captain Falcon mainers.

Personally I've seen some pretty awesome Captain falcons, sure I can beat them with my D3 due to "lolchaingrab" But they were really good. I think a good advanced tech that might be good for Captain Falcon is maybe a minihop knee that can hit characters like MK? If you could get that down, then I'm sure you could get past a lot of the lower tier. And who knows? Maybe Captain Falcon can Wavedash and no one knows it? The Yoshi's have discovered Yoshi can wavedash somewhat...

All I gotta say is, Keep at it Captain Falcon's, Someday I'd like to play Captain falcon and not suck at him T.T, Love the Final smash though.

Anthonysmash

Smash Apprentice
i got some more footage tonight but nothing real good yet, it's hard to play good with CF when the only 2 players around you use MK, Snake, and Marth...

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
If any of you don't mind fighting online, I could fight you all as, really any character, I'm pretty decent with over 80% of the cast. Might help your metagame out a bit?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
yeah Link has more going for him that CF. on ganon and CF wheres a Ganon players opinion at? i feel ganons slightly better than Falcon.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
If any of you don't mind fighting online, I could fight you all as, really any character, I'm pretty decent with over 80% of the cast. Might help your metagame out a bit?
i'd like to play you, you can add to my growing list of red connections XD

He cannot safely approach anyone with fingers and a brain.
you just have to think more with his approachs than most others, i mean i find it slightly easier to approach w/ Zelda than CF sometimes, and her approachs are very limited.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
No, no. Its not that Falcon is the worst character, but his lack of priority and projectiles make him one of those characters that are... what would you say... "Be skilled or 4 stocked". Captain Falcon is one of my best characters, and I've even obliterated Meta Knights and Snakes with him, but hes really, really hard to use.

Saying hes the lowest on the tier list means hes just tournament bait. Hes easiest of all characters to destroy and takes the most skill to master and play efficiently. He has no priority, horrible recovery, and he slides (can be good or bad, give or take). That DOESN'T mean hes the worst character in the game though. :/

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
His recovery is GREAT in my opinion. Its latching ability and KO potential make it pretty good as well. Edgehoggers get pwnd, and people who are jumping off the stage to prevent recovery are only putting themselves at risk of helping it. Very good for stage spiking as well. :]

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
it can only latch if whoevers edgehogging isn't invincible anymore. if someone jumps to him with an attack that outreachs/outprioriterizes both Falcondive and raptor booster then hes not winning that recovery clash. unless its a stagespike falcon dive doesn't really KO very early.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
it can only latch if whoevers edgehogging isn't invincible anymore. if someone jumps to him with an attack that outreachs/outprioriterizes both Falcondive and raptor booster then hes not winning that recovery clash. unless its a stagespike falcon dive doesn't really KO very early.
Eh, sorta. I was leaning more towards the people who decide to edgehog before it has the time to activate. But others usually try to spike or hit Falcon down further. His recovery is sill good anyway. It does make some distance at the least. The raptor boost isn't that bad either, since it has startup lag. The edgehogger better be pretty quick and skilled to guard Falcon from that one. :/

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Edgehogging the Raptor Boost is kinda silly when you can just attack him from the stage. That's really the main problem with Falcon's recovery. It protects him from aerials, but not from the ground-based attacks that has some good reach and priority.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Projectiles are Captain Falcon's biggest flaw. The knee of justice makes him a worthy opponent to any character though, especially Snake while hes attempting to recover. x]

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Did he just say "dedede" is worse then C. Falcon?
LMAO. Yes he did.
Though Falcon isn't half bad against Dedede, I wouldn't say Dedede is worse at all, considering hes actually one of the best characters in the game when put behind a skillful user. x_x;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom