• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Captain Falcon the worst character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
i only read the first page, but based on the first page, this topic is full of nubs. Yoshi WORSE THAN FALCON. D3 WORSE?!?! Im not attacking you falcon mainers that are defending him with facts though.

Yoshi has a pretty good projectile, CG on 1/3 of the cast, has SUPER ARMOR frames on his 2nd jump (making him kinda hard to gimp) and really good aerials. I expect him to rise in tourney place just because of the fact that he has an evenish matchup with mk.

Captain falcon is bad because he has no priority. He has no range in his attacks nor does he have a projectile and probably the worst recovery in the game. Look at all the characters that dont have projectiles, they all have uber range. And the characters with no range have a lot of projectiles.

His kill moves besides Uair/Knee are hard to land because of start up lag. The knee is still good but sweetspotting it got a lot hard.

sniperfire

Smash Cadet
Behind you...with a Machine Gun.....and a Bomb.
i only read the first page, but based on the first page, this topic is full of nubs. Yoshi WORSE THAN FALCON. D3 WORSE?!?! Im not attacking you falcon mainers that are defending him with facts though.

Yoshi has a pretty good projectile, CG on 1/3 of the cast, has SUPER ARMOR frames on his 2nd jump (making him kinda hard to gimp) and really good aerials. I expect him to rise in tourney place just because of the fact that he has an evenish matchup with mk.

Captain falcon is bad because he has no priority. He has no range in his attacks nor does he have a projectile and probably the worst recovery in the game. Look at all the characters that dont have projectiles, they all have uber range. And the characters with no range have a lot of projectiles.

His kill moves besides Uair/Knee are hard to land because of start up lag. The knee is still good but sweetspotting it got a lot hard.
Yeah, the first page is horrible.I almost fell on the floor laughing.
And who said DDD is worse? This is MADNESS!
And yoshi isnt worse either

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I would think the low Priority is what destroys him and his weak Rising knee to the face hitbox. I mean I've heard that Yoshi can stop a Falcon punch with his Egg Roll.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Yoshididdy
you should have read at least the first 3 pages. since the first page is fail lol. one thing CF does have over Yoshi is that he can't be reliably KOed by footstool, lol.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
Simply put, Captain Falcon is bad because of the twin demons of lag and priority. He has too much of the former and none of the latter.

"But Falcon's fast!"
Have you seen how quickly his moves come out? His smashes are about as fast as Ganondorf's smashes. His Knee Smash (forward aerial) has about a 10-15 frame start-up. His fastest move is his neutral A combo, and it is ludicrously easy to DI out of once the infinite starts (and it lags on completion).
All of Falcon's killers (Knee Smash, smashes, downwards aerial, and Falcon Punch) have too much lag to compensate for another problem: no priority.

Captain Falcon has arguably the game's worst priority. Only Sonic can be argued to have worse priority, and his attacks aren't so ridiculously slow that he gets outsped and outprioritized at the same time.
His highest-priority attacks are Falcon Kick, which has at least 15 frames of start-up and cooldown, and Falcon Dive because it's a grabbing attack (and still has a lot of start-up). That's it...practically everything else is outdone by Luigi's taunt kick or Snake's cardboard box, both low watermarks.

Priority isn't the only problem. His attacks come out slowly, too much so to be able to mask his nonexistent priority.

And THAT is why Captain Falcon is the worst character.

Roager

Smash Ace
Simply put, Captain Falcon is bad because of the twin demons of lag and priority. He has too much of the former and none of the latter.

"But Falcon's fast!"
Have you seen how quickly his moves come out? His smashes are about as fast as Ganondorf's smashes. His Knee Smash (forward aerial) has about a 10-15 frame start-up. His fastest move is his neutral A combo, and it is ludicrously easy to DI out of once the infinite starts (and it lags on completion).
All of Falcon's killers (Knee Smash, smashes, downwards aerial, and Falcon Punch) have too much lag to compensate for another problem: no priority.

Captain Falcon has arguably the game's worst priority. Only Sonic can be argued to have worse priority, and his attacks aren't so ridiculously slow that he gets outsped and outprioritized at the same time.
His highest-priority attacks are Falcon Kick, which has at least 15 frames of start-up and cooldown, and Falcon Dive because it's a grabbing attack (and still has a lot of start-up). That's it...practically everything else is outdone by Luigi's taunt kick or Snake's cardboard box, both low watermarks.

Priority isn't the only problem. His attacks come out slowly, too much so to be able to mask his nonexistent priority.

And THAT is why Captain Falcon is the worst character.
Dont get me wrong, you aren't entirely wrong. But you clearly haven't played as or against Falcon very much. In any matches, I mean. Like, you looked into speeds, and thats something. But really, Falcon's move speed means that his startup lag (particularly on his aerials) can be used on the move (or, more accurately, on the fly) Also, Ganon has a lot harder time putting himself into places where he has a good attack option. Falcon, even though he has significant startup lag, has much better maneuverability. And even recovery.

Yes, Ganon kills lower, and he has better priority. I am aware. And I'll even give you that his smashes are almost as slow as Ganny's. But Falcon has a lot more options, thanks to his move speed.

Plus, Ganny's a lot more vulnerable to projectile spam, since hes a slightly bigger target, and takes longer to get to the shooter, thus allowing more time for projectiles, increasing the chance that at least one's gonna hit him. I don't see his killpower and priority as good enough to compensate for his severe lack of move speed.

And THAT'S why I say Ganon's worse than Falcon.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Ganon has side b you know, that leads to way more things than CF does. and bowser doesn't move much faster than Ganon yet he's better. besides ganon has the weight to take more projactile hits than CF. i think ganons a little higher than Falcon

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
He's the lowest on the tier list, not necessarily the worst. Just because I don't believe in calling a character in a game like Smash the definitive "worst". This game has so much depth that some new AT could be found tomorrow that just revolutionizes Falcon play and jumps him to the top of thew tier list. Yea, its a long shot, but I'm just saying, there is way too much left to discover about the meta-game of Smash, that calling him the worst is probably wrong.

Roager

Smash Ace
Ganon has side b you know, that leads to way more things than CF does. and bowser doesn't move much faster than Ganon yet he's better. besides ganon has the weight to take more projactile hits than CF. i think ganons a little higher than Falcon
I am aware of the choke. But despite its use, I dont think its enough.

And even though Ganon has weight, I generally think that avoiding hits is better than absorbing them. And I dont really know where Bowser factors into this. I mean, yeah, move speed isn't everything, but Bowser vs Ganon is an entirely different comparison than Falcon vs Ganon.

To put a little more behind that, the Bowser/Ganon comparison isn't tipped by move speed. I don't know enough about Bowser to really say what it is that makes him better, but I'd guess its his range and bowsercide. As for Falcon/Ganon comparison, the movesets are very similar, and as has been pointed out, Falcon's move speed isn't as different from Ganny's as some might think. And with almost identical movesets, range is factored out. That means the only differences (and thus, possible deciding factors) are priority, power, and move speed. (i may have forgotten something, but you get the idea) Now, in priority and power, Ganny outclasses Falcon, and indeed, many other characters. But his move speed is so slow that I would put Falcon above Ganny.

(note: this is really kinda useless, but i realized it, and i didnt want to get rid of it. I still think its true, but it doesnt much matter. Basically, i just said Bowsercide>Ganoncide. Feel free to disregard the rest of this post.)
and actually, come to think of it, if bowsercide's a deciding factor, i guess gannycide could be too... No, wait, no, Falcon has the Raptor Boost spike, and it doesnt always make Falcon dead too. Sure, it doesnt always kill the enemy either
But, lemme lay this out.
Risk's the same for missing: death
Ganon's success is: both parties die, assuming there's nothing in the way
Falcon's success is: enemy is spiked, Falcon is bounced up off of them

for Ganon, it's simple, death for both
for Falcon, even if he hits, its not a sure thing for any outcome.
But, spikes tend to kill, unless its a ROB or something
And, that bounce can be DI'd towards the stage, which can sometimes save Falcon

I mean, sure, the possibility of Falcon dies, enemy doesnt is there. But, its probably not gonna happen. I'd chalk this up as personal preference. So Ganoncide's out.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I am aware of the choke. But despite its use, I dont think its enough.

And even though Ganon has weight, I generally think that avoiding hits is better than absorbing them. And I dont really know where Bowser factors into this. I mean, yeah, move speed isn't everything, but Bowser vs Ganon is an entirely different comparison than Falcon vs Ganon.

To put a little more behind that, the Bowser/Ganon comparison isn't tipped by move speed. I don't know enough about Bowser to really say what it is that makes him better, but I'd guess its his range and bowsercide. As for Falcon/Ganon comparison, the movesets are very similar, and as has been pointed out, Falcon's move speed isn't as different from Ganny's as some might think. And with almost identical movesets, range is factored out. That means the only differences (and thus, possible deciding factors) are priority, power, and move speed. (i may have forgotten something, but you get the idea) Now, in priority and power, Ganny outclasses Falcon, and indeed, many other characters. But his move speed is so slow that I would put Falcon above Ganny.

(note: this is really kinda useless, but i realized it, and i didnt want to get rid of it. I still think its true, but it doesnt much matter. Basically, i just said Bowsercide>Ganoncide. Feel free to disregard the rest of this post.)
and actually, come to think of it, if bowsercide's a deciding factor, i guess gannycide could be too... No, wait, no, Falcon has the Raptor Boost spike, and it doesnt always make Falcon dead too. Sure, it doesnt always kill the enemy either
But, lemme lay this out.
Risk's the same for missing: death
Ganon's success is: both parties die, assuming there's nothing in the way
Falcon's success is: enemy is spiked, Falcon is bounced up off of them

for Ganon, it's simple, death for both
for Falcon, even if he hits, its not a sure thing for any outcome.
But, spikes tend to kill, unless its a ROB or something
And, that bounce can be DI'd towards the stage, which can sometimes save Falcon

I mean, sure, the possibility of Falcon dies, enemy doesnt is there. But, its probably not gonna happen. I'd chalk this up as personal preference. So Ganoncide's out.
Ganoncide's also got the possibility to miss and cause a suicide. I think Bowsercide is better because it can work from onstage, but I doubt that's why Bowser is considered better. Probably his flame breath and vertical KO ability.

D

Deleted member

hmm, how about his grab release options, superior weight, better recovery, up b, aerial grab that isnt punishable if missed and does 18%, firebreath, and faster close range options?

Not sure which is better, falcon or ganon tho. Bowser is definately way better than both and is not in bottom tier. Falcon has superior offensive options with falling uair to jab to grab, and is less predictable, but ganon has more damaging moves, 0-40 combos, more priority and range, and better defensive and kill options, he is also heavier.

Prolly ganon>falcon.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Hello Captains. Came to check out this thread, I roxed it's sox a little more than a week ago and decided to pop back in. I had a very random week, character wise. I played a little bit of everybody and I guess I didn't give CF the credit he deserves, he is no longer worst in my opinion. I played and found three characters I think are more terrible than Mr. Falcon. Jiggz, Peach, Lucario (laugh as much as you want.) Thought I'd share that with all you Falcons.

FALCON PAWNCH!

.CMW.

Roager

Smash Ace
hmm, how about his grab release options, superior weight, better recovery, up b, aerial grab that isnt punishable if missed and does 18%, firebreath, and faster close range options?

Not sure which is better, falcon or ganon tho. Bowser is definately way better than both and is not in bottom tier. Falcon has superior offensive options with falling uair to jab to grab, and is less predictable, but ganon has more damaging moves, 0-40 combos, more priority and range, and better defensive and kill options, he is also heavier.

Prolly ganon>falcon.
The point of my post was to stop talking about Bowser...

But as for the actual Falcon/Ganon discussion: I can understand people thinking Ganon is better, but IMO Falcon wins. Better move speed, better attack speed (yeah, that one post mentioned that a lot of Falcon's moves have bad startup, but Ganny's moves have far worse post-lag, if im not mistaken), and Falcon's less predictable. And thus, I have far more fun with him.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Hello Captains. Came to check out this thread, I roxed it's sox a little more than a week ago and decided to pop back in. I had a very random week, character wise. I played a little bit of everybody and I guess I didn't give CF the credit he deserves, he is no longer worst in my opinion. I played and found three characters I think are more terrible than Mr. Falcon. Jiggz, Peach, Lucario (laugh as much as you want.) Thought I'd share that with all you Falcons.

FALCON PAWNCH!

.CMW.
didn't we already go over that JP is better than CF? and Peach is better than both. now how is lucario worse than Falcon? i hope this was a joke post.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
stop making these ****1ng threads about why falcon sucks. instead of asking dumb questions about why he is bad, make a strategy and post that. good god this **** is old.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Funny, the fact a simple discussion like this gets more than guides, or helping others with there At's. What's up with that?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i wonder why though lol. i don't even main Falcon....... oh i know why, its too put down any random person who walks in only reading the first post then posting JP is worse than Falcon. :mad:

lol but i guess im just using this thread to increase my post count too. only 39 more till im smash lord lol :laugh:

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Falcon pwns JP ahah, for being Falcon sorry Jiggly. Yeah, I think the question I asked killed the topic, you might need to find some other topic.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
JigglyZelda is so random. :D. His (Her?) name implies a Jiggly main (or at least a Zelda).
Yet she has a Peach icon. Hehe.

.CMW.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Omg.....link insulted falcon =o. Captain Falcon is watching and you will soon feel his FALCON PAWNCH By the way anyone have a little clip for my signature. I have sonic fox but i need a falcon. Anyone?

Tenki

Smash Hero
i wonder why though lol. i don't even main Falcon....... oh i know why, its too put down any random person who walks in only reading the first post then posting JP is worse than Falcon. :mad:

lol but i guess im just using this thread to increase my post count too. only 39 more till im smash lord lol :laugh:
There's somewhere called the Sonic boards.

..lol.

43000+ posts.
14000+ of them made before March

20000+ afterwards, with an assortment of AT threads, character discussion, and people complaining about how much Sonic sucks.
and probably over 9000 with steak spam.

Any Falcon Haters/Lovers wanna brawl?
I can show you my moves
I wanna play, Saturday maybe?

sniperfire

Smash Cadet
Behind you...with a Machine Gun.....and a Bomb.

..lol.

43000+ posts.

20000+ afterwards, with an assortment of AT threads, character discussion, and people complaining about how much Sonic sucks.

lolz. Sure Sat. will work.(assuming you live in the US and today is thursday)

Noodlehead

Smash Lord

..lol.

43000+ posts.

lolz. Sure Sat. will work.(assuming you live in the US and today is thursday)
dont forget the timezones ,people are always trying to set up but forget about the timezones

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
A comparison of Manliness? Honestly, although Marth has a tiarra (that is pretty manly imo but still), Captain Falcon IS the embodiment of Manliness. The fact that he takes far more skill to use in Brawl is just one of many testaments to this fact.
I would have to agree with you there Rudra, if you really want a workout with your fingers you should use Captain Falcon on event 41 hard mode.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Don't you realize that Marth's tiara shields his incredibly epic manliness? If he took it off everyone would die from over-manliness. This is fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom